Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mico posted:

Okay so guys as it stands, Quiche is gonna win with 20+ votes unless there's some kind of huge upset in the next two days.

Also I finally got around to looking up Natto, which is in second place with like five votes. I'm gagging just thinking about it it looks so bad.

Natto is very much an acquired taste. It smells awful and looks worse, but if you don't mind the smell it is apparently very tasty and healthy. It's just, getting over the smell requires getting used to it, so if you didn't grow up with it you'll probably never want to touch it ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mico posted:

Also I finally got around to looking up Natto, which is in second place with like five votes. I'm gagging just thinking about it it looks so bad.

I think we know what our third recipe must be.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think we know what our third recipe must be.

Doubt it since Mico said he's not going to cook anything that he or his two roommates wouldn't eat.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

JT Jag posted:

Also Mico please show me how to make a good queso. I have no idea if that is in the game but hey.

I think making your own cheese is somewhat beyond the scope of this LP.

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

I think making your own cheese is somewhat beyond the scope of this LP.

Making a good Queso isn't about making your own cheese. It's about picking the right cheeses and spices as a base and knowing how to melt it all properly. It's a bit more complicated than it sounds (like making a good salsa). Although, I'm not sure that's in Cooking Mama. So, there's that.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

DairunCates posted:

Making a good Queso isn't about making your own cheese. It's about picking the right cheeses and spices as a base and knowing how to melt it all properly. It's a bit more complicated than it sounds (like making a good salsa). Although, I'm not sure that's in Cooking Mama. So, there's that.

Look man, queso means cheese. If you're telling me that there's a dish out there just called "cheese" well then that's pretty stupid.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Walrus Pete posted:

Look man, queso means cheese. If you're telling me that there's a dish out there just called "cheese" well then that's pretty stupid.

In American English, at least, "queso" is most often short for "chili con queso."

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

In American English, at least, "queso" is most often short for "chili con queso."

This is (clearly) the first I've heard of it and no sir I don't like it :mad:

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

In all fairness, a LOT of dishes are less impressive sounding when you translate it to your native tongue or have been truncated where they're silly sounding.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Actually, when I hear Queso, I usually think of the mexican style cheese dip. The comparisons to salsa above are not unfounded.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Mico posted:

Okay so guys as it stands, Quiche is gonna win with 20+ votes unless there's some kind of huge upset in the next two days.

Switching my vote to Natto for the entertainment value.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 1, 2013

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Walrus Pete posted:

This is (clearly) the first I've heard of it and no sir I don't like it :mad:

Growing up with a Mexican mom, I agree.

:colbert:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

the Gaffe posted:

Growing up with a Mexican mom, I agree.

:colbert:

Maybe you should contribute to the LP with proper Queso and what kind of cheese best goes on nachos.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Actually, when I hear Queso, I usually think of the mexican style cheese dip. The comparisons to salsa above are not unfounded.

Chili con queso is the Mexican-style cheese dip and alternative to dipping salsa. It refers to basically any food whose main ingredients are at least one kind of melted cheese and chili peppers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So this happened.

One curry, happily simmering. I need a bigger pan.

I couldn't find any dried chillies so I substituted in some crushed chillies, also added some paprika I had in the cupboard and a mystery spice bag my roommate offered. This was...certainly an idea. I'm not one for spicy food see and for some reason didn't figure that adding the crushed chillies would make things a little hardcore for a non-heat person like myself. That said my new food processor rose to the occasion wonderfully. Also cooking rice in stock is a loving great idea. Here's the finished product as I plated it up.

Yes that is a fuckload of rice, I eat a lot of rice but dear god between the potatoes, chicken and spice be aware this poo poo is really filling. I managed to put away about half of this plate (and 2 beers) before eventually giving up and throwing it in a tub to take to work tomorrow.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Thats like half a pound of rice god drat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chaos341 posted:

Thats like half a pound of rice god drat.

250g. About what I usually eat, only I usually eat just rice sometimes with some peppers or other veggies mixed in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

How well does this curry go with bread? I'm a bigger fan of dipping bread in my curry than eating it with rice.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

How well does this curry go with bread? I'm a bigger fan of dipping bread in my curry than eating it with rice.

Depends on the bread. A nice, thick cut of some solid bread would probably work well, especially if you toast it a bit.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

njsykora posted:

250g. About what I usually eat, only I usually eat just rice sometimes with some peppers or other veggies mixed in.

http://www.evi.com/q/250g_is_how_many_ounces

A bit over half a pound! My guesstimate was right!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Nice t-shirt dude (crimes against video games). I might try the first recipe sometime soon.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
It has probably been said by now, but I had to pause the video and make sure the thread knows: do not use glass cutting boards. They will gently caress up your knife.

Enjoying the video so far though! Time to resume.

Edit: Okay done! Also yes curry powder is cheating. I probably would've made the curry in a pot so it wasn't so dangerously close to spilling over the entire time. I also tend to make indian curry rather than thai, but that still looked fairly good. I might be speaking more as someone more accustomed to cooking but I guess once you've shown something on video once you can probably speed it up even more than you did with the chicken cutting. Cutting out some more of the dead air of 'oh wait I guess I'm putting stuff in the sink' is probably good in the future too (but it was amusing enough this time!)

As far as bread with curry, for the poster asking up there, you could make naan or paratha! They're both flatbreads and work great with curry. I imagine actual loaf bread might be okay but I've never actually had it outside of some really desperately lazy curry sandwiches.

Also voting Quiche since it wasn't ruled out and I've never actually made it myself.

Comic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 2, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Depends on the bread. A nice, thick cut of some solid bread would probably work well, especially if you toast it a bit.

I think a hardy Italian sourdough would work best with curry.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Jumping on the naan train, I made curry-flavored chicken and rice tonight and had some naan with it. If you don't know how to make it, Costco has surprisingly good pre-made naan that you can buy and reheat when you want to. Not exactly perfect but I bought it on a lark the other day and was impressed with how good it was.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

njsykora posted:

I'm not one for spicy food see and for some reason didn't figure that adding the crushed chillies would make things a little hardcore for a non-heat person like myself. That said my new food processor rose to the occasion wonderfully.

Holy poo poo you put chilis in a food processor? You got lucky man. It's easy to pepper spray yourself doing a dumb thing like that. It's possible to do it safely but I was taught just to avoid the risk and do chili prep by hand.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Your oven has a "high" setting? Or do you just pick a random temperature that sounds big?

Oops I didn't see your reply, by high I mean 230 to 250 degrees celsius, I have no idea how much that is in fahrenheit probably a lot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Spudd posted:

Oops I didn't see your reply, by high I mean 230 to 250 degrees celsius, I have no idea how much that is in fahrenheit probably a lot.

That is on the high end of oven temperatures, yeah. You know, if you're willing to be more patient, ovens cook things more evenly at low temperatures, around 150-175 C. High temperatures are more for small or thin items like cheap frozen pizzas that cook quickly and evenly regardless.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Make that quiche.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
As a guy about to go overseas with only a few dishes to his name, this thread is a godsend. Mico, I know you've got a voting request system going, but if you could try something a bit exotic and fish related like say... Flounder Boiled in Sweetened Soy Sauce… (Second Wii Cooking Mama just so you know :P) You'd totally loving be my man.

Gonna give the curry a shot, but I'll probably ease up on the potatoes and maybe use brown rice instead. Either way, it looks like a great recipe.

Chips Challenged fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 2, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Ahh Cooking Mama. I've got oddly fond memories of the game. I was living in a sublet for half a year once, my roommate had a Wii but only had Mario Party 4 and Cooking Mama, for whatever reason. Gold medaled every single dish.

Anyway, why are you people recommending he do something like natto, there's no danger in natto! Now, Bananas Foster, he and his roommate will have a delicious dessert and we get to see him mix alcohol and fire. That's a recipe for success.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Arglebargle III posted:

Holy poo poo you put chilis in a food processor? You got lucky man. It's easy to pepper spray yourself doing a dumb thing like that. It's possible to do it safely but I was taught just to avoid the risk and do chili prep by hand.

But Mico did insert chilis into his food processor :confused:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

toanoradian posted:

But Mico did insert chilis into his food processor :confused:

This is why food processors have lids.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

njsykora posted:

I'm convinced that the lid in the video was actually three months of work in Maya3D and Sony Vegas.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GWS is COMING DOWN ON YOU LIKE A TON OF BRICKS.

Great effort dude, I'd hone my knives if I were you though, looks like you're using alot of force when cutting and that poo poo leads to accidents.

Choco1980 posted:

Make sure the chicken is dry? When it's raw?
Surface moisture turns to steam when you sauté it, leading to the meat being boiled instead of getting a nice sear. This is why you don't want to crowd a pan also, because all of the rendered moisture boils the meat and makes it dull and boring.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 2, 2013

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

njsykora posted:

I grow cayenne peppers and I can say that when working with a coffee grinder with dried peppers, you're going to need a surgeon's mask eventually. Much like the goggles, the lid does nothing... :rimshot:

But that's after several rounds of throwing in peppers to meet their doom. 3 chillies probably isn't going to kill you, let alone mace you.

Chips Challenged fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 2, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well much like knife calluses I learned this in a kitchen with a lot of people serving a lot of people. If you throw chilis in the food processor and forget a step in doing it safely, the whole staff has to clear out of the kitchen and you probably ruined service. Hence the policy of just doing it by hand. The worst thing that's going to happen at home is... you forget to lock the lid and pepper spray yourself. Still pretty bad.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
My mini food chopper (TM) will not turn on if the lid is not in place.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
By the way, it's been a week. Quiche wins.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mico posted:

My mini food chopper (TM) will not turn on if the lid is not in place.

Mine has the same thing, I think just about any nice cheap one has that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Can I ask what exactly is the mini food processor that you have, njsykora and Mico? Is Mico's literally just 'Mini Food Chopper'?

• Locked thread