Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Policenaut posted:

Not if you live in North America, where SCEA refused it!

:psyduck: Why? Is there something wrong with the port or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

:psyduck: Why? Is there something wrong with the port or what?
SCEA had a real dumb no PS1 ports, or 'limited' PS1 port policy when it came to PSP games I've always heard. BOF3 for PSP wasn't all that different iirc, just fishing stuff, I think. For games to be ported from PS1, they had to have significant changes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Last of Us really rubbed me the wrong way when it came out (due to the bug that erased my game and the early game being pretty lackluster after the amazing prologue) but I gotta say this game is pretty drat awesome. If nothing else it absolutely kills uncharted when it comes to pacing. I still don't think Naughty Dog is very good in the gameplay department, but it always feels worth playing through to get to the next beautiful area/story segment. Also, some of the mild exploration the game offers is pretty cool if you really want to soak in the environment. Every area feels like it has a lot of thought put into it and it's pretty fun to look one over and find a note that gives you some insight. It's definitely hitting the same chord as Bioshock Infinite with me, where it's not really my thing but I'm enjoying it anyways.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

The Last of Us really rubbed me the wrong way when it came out (due to the bug that erased my game and the early game being pretty lackluster after the amazing prologue) but I gotta say this game is pretty drat awesome. If nothing else it absolutely kills uncharted when it comes to pacing. I still don't think Naughty Dog is very good in the gameplay department, but it always feels worth playing through to get to the next beautiful area/story segment. Also, some of the mild exploration the game offers is pretty cool if you really want to soak in the environment. Every area feels like it has a lot of thought put into it and it's pretty fun to look one over and find a note that gives you some insight. It's definitely hitting the same chord as Bioshock Infinite with me, where it's not really my thing but I'm enjoying it anyways.
Yeah, I feel that way about TLOU but NOT Bioshock Infinite. Both attempted to create the illusion of serious exploration but while being completely linear, and TLOU succeeded while BI failed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I feel that way about TLOU but NOT Bioshock Infinite. Both attempted to create the illusion of serious exploration but while being completely linear, and TLOU succeeded while BI failed.

Thinking back, I didn't ever notice TLOU actually being linear. It was the same with Uncharted. And for the pacing thing, I'd agree with you, just not about Uncharted 2. Personally I think that and TLOU are shinning examples of how to make a linear game, they place downtime right when it needs to be there and amp poo poo up when it needs to be amped.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Definitely. I think they are comparable in the sense that they have really similar direction, but TLOS definitely has a much more interesting payoff for the little exploration it offers. BI usually just hit a dead end with some NPC chatter.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
"10 Out of 10" got renamed. :v:
I guess WB Games was tired of that joke as well:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

If I didn't know anything I'd still think the title was GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

NESguerilla posted:

Definitely. I think they are comparable in the sense that they have really similar direction, but TLOS definitely has a much more interesting payoff for the little exploration it offers. BI usually just hit a dead end with some NPC chatter.

as in an NPC that will rush you with godless fury because you stepped into the employees only zone, I hate when that happens at a corner store. "I didn't know the washroom wasn't open to non-paying customers sir please, you've shot me 6 times already!"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Yechezkel posted:

I just bought a brand new copy and it's still in wrapper 10 out of 10.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Austrian mook posted:

as in an NPC that will rush you with godless fury because you stepped into the employees only zone, I hate when that happens at a corner store. "I didn't know the washroom wasn't open to non-paying customers sir please, you've shot me 6 times already!"
At least it's better than AC3 when you walk past an invisible, arbitrary line in the middle of the street and

Why has GIS failed me? Where is that picture of Connor standing over the bodies of a thousand dead readcoats who threw themselves hopelessly at you one after another forever for the simple crime of trespassing?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

BoF6 being a browser/mobile thing makes me want to fly into some kind of murderous blood rage.
It kinda bothers me that people are this attached to names. What you need is devs who want to make a good game and have the capability to do so. Of course companies that make dumb decisions are gonna try to sell you crap under a familiar name if you care more about the name than whether or not the people working on it are genuinely interested in making a good product, why wouldn't they? Just milk those IPs till they bleed.

It's a goddamn shame.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

Seriously, that was the one thing Dragon's Dogma really needed: co-op! If it had legit co-op I'd buy it no questions asked.

Well it would be awesome to have it on a system without slowdown or screen tearing. You could tell that dragons dogma really needed to be on a more powerful console. They had som ambition for the gamand I hope the ps4 gives us an awesome drsgons dogma 2, if that's not what deep down is already.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Harlock posted:

SCEA had a real dumb no PS1 ports, or 'limited' PS1 port policy when it came to PSP games I've always heard. BOF3 for PSP wasn't all that different iirc, just fishing stuff, I think. For games to be ported from PS1, they had to have significant changes.

Parappa the Rapper was exactly the same game as it was on the PSOne, (as it should be) and it still got published, probably because it's one of Sony's proerties. Unfortunately, neither the PSP or PSOne versions are on the EU store, so I can't play it on the Vita.

I'm going to grab Breath of Fire III just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm glad that they're no longer doing game screening, so you won't get things like Metal Slug 3 denied for the PS2 for being too 'old-looking'.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoy BoF4 more than 3,but I might be in a minority here. Loved the setting, and the characters were fun, even if the story was extremely grim at times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That loving Sned posted:

Parappa the Rapper was exactly the same game as it was on the PSOne, (as it should be) and it still got published, probably because it's one of Sony's proerties. Unfortunately, neither the PSP or PSOne versions are on the EU store, so I can't play it on the Vita.

I'm going to grab Breath of Fire III just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm glad that they're no longer doing game screening, so you won't get things like Metal Slug 3 denied for the PS2 for being too 'old-looking'.

PSP Parappa actually has four person multiplayer and some DLC songs which Sony considered new enough. The only stuff that got straight up denied a US PSP release for not being different enough were the really really bare bones straight ports like Syndicate Wars (which I don't think was even released at all because of the PS1 classics) or Devil Summoner. Breath of Fire three didn't make it because RPGs weren't quite what the PSP was about in the US yet (remember not even Monster Hunter was out in the US yet). By the time it was Breath of Fire IV was already out as a PS1 classic in the US so they probably didn't think it was worth it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 2, 2013

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The sad part about Parappa's PSP DLC is that the site for downloading it is down, or at least it didn't work when I tried to access it :smith:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I finally got around to playing LEGO Lord of the Rings and man, it's fantastic and at times really funny. I already finished the story mode (still a bunch of stuff to do obviously) but I was so impressed at how faithful it is to the source material. And a fully explorable Middle-earth is sweet too.

I love all the little easter eggs they put in it, but aside from the Assassin's Creed leap of faith off Weathertop my favorite thing so far is the Mithril Disco Phial that plays a really hammy techno track with lines from the movies spliced in that makes the other characters dance.

Spoilered because if anyone's planning on playing it, things like that are much better when they come out of the blue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

robodex posted:

The sad part about Parappa's PSP DLC is that the site for downloading it is down, or at least it didn't work when I tried to access it :smith:

Just tried now it now with my PSP (after crippling my wireless security down to something it can access), and it just went to the PSP blog site. Looks like they're gone for good :sigh:.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Gameplay footage from Team Bondi's Whore of the Orient leaked: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/watch-whore-of-the-orient-leaked-gameplay-footage

The setting looks cool but the gameplay looks rough. This must be super early. Being one of the few that enjoyed LA Noire I will definitely check this one out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The gameplay sort of looks like a rough Sleepy Dogs. Although, maybe the same could be said about all third world shooter games.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hong Kong is a part of China so obviously it looks similar but I agree the fighting reminds me of Sleeping Dogs/rear end Cred. They need to make a game set in Thailand because of the great underworld and all those gross neon lights. God Only Forgives the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Housh posted:

Gameplay footage from Team Bondi's Whore of the Orient leaked: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/watch-whore-of-the-orient-leaked-gameplay-footage

The setting looks cool but the gameplay looks rough. This must be super early. Being one of the few that enjoyed LA Noire I will definitely check this one out.

That videogamer.com video player might be the worst video player on the entire internet. buffer buffer buffer...x1000

Are they going to continue to use the facial mapping tech that they used for LA Noire or does Rockstar own that? I'm guessing Team Bondi does since RS didn't use it for GTA 5?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 2, 2013

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

That videogamer.com video player might be the worst video player on the entire internet. buffer buffer buffer...x1000

Are they going to continue to use the facial mapping tech that they used for LA Noire or does Rockstar own that? I'm guessing Team Bondi does since RS didn't use it for GTA 5?

That tech took up a whole lot of disk space so they I don't think they'd use it unless it's important to the gameplay mechanics like in LA Noire.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Neo Rasa posted:

Star Ocean is realllly bad, you've been warned.

Yeah. :sigh:

Till the End of Time spoiled me, I think. Man that was a great game. The combat gimmick in Last Hope is just so shallow and easily mastered by comparison, not to even mention the terrible plot. I would commit so many heinous acts for a PS2 Classics version of the director's cut of SO3. Not like it'll ever happen considering what a time they had getting it working on the PS2 in the first place, but still.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just tried now it now with my PSP (after crippling my wireless security down to something it can access), and it just went to the PSP blog site. Looks like they're gone for good :sigh:.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/935640-parappa-the-rapper/saves

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are there any PS3 games that run 1080p/60fps? I recently got a bigger TV that can do 1080p and I want to see some eye candy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Housh posted:

Are there any PS3 games that run 1080p/60fps? I recently got a bigger TV that can do 1080p and I want to see some eye candy.

Wipeout and um... Retro Grade? Those are the only two I own that run like that.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Could anyone tell me how the PS3 version of Far Cry 3 plays? It doesn't have any glaring bugs or control problems, does it?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Played fine for me.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

The Last of Us really rubbed me the wrong way when it came out (due to the bug that erased my game and the early game being pretty lackluster after the amazing prologue) but I gotta say this game is pretty drat awesome.

I feel the same actually. The prologue was fantastic but the early game was actually pretty dull, I thought. Luckily it picked up at Bill's town but before that I wasn't terribly impressed.

Austrian mook posted:

Thinking back, I didn't ever notice TLOU actually being linear. It was the same with Uncharted. And for the pacing thing, I'd agree with you, just not about Uncharted 2. Personally I think that and TLOU are shinning examples of how to make a linear game, they place downtime right when it needs to be there and amp poo poo up when it needs to be amped.

I recently replayed Uncharted 2 and while I feel that as a whole the game has great pacing throughout, the last half of the game where you're slogging through the winter monastery really does drag on and on, and I feel that the game takes a serious dip in quality in that area. I think it picks up again when you enter Shambala, but you barely spend any time there at all and then the game ends :(

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Eggie posted:

Could anyone tell me how the PS3 version of Far Cry 3 plays? It doesn't have any glaring bugs or control problems, does it?

Plays fine. Just chugs on some cutscenes kinda like Mass Effect 3.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yeah. :sigh:

Till the End of Time spoiled me, I think. Man that was a great game. The combat gimmick in Last Hope is just so shallow and easily mastered by comparison, not to even mention the terrible plot. I would commit so many heinous acts for a PS2 Classics version of the director's cut of SO3. Not like it'll ever happen considering what a time they had getting it working on the PS2 in the first place, but still.

What. I. I don't even--

I can't tell if you're serious. I mean, SO3 wasn't ALL bad (I say this as a masochist who pumped over 100 hours into that game), but I wouldn't wish that game on anyone.

The characters were pretty bad, as they were awkward looking, dull, and largely useless aside from the first three party members; the story was all over the map in terms of quality, mostly suffered from a silly plot 'twist' and a middle act that just dragged on, bogging down everything and wrecking the pacing; and the gameplay mechanics were largely forgettable, either consisting of uninteresting item crafting or combat that required you to run around the battlefield spamming your strongest ability again and again until whatever monster, robot, or computer virus you were fighting died.

If that's the high point, I'm glad I moved on from the SO series.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The item crafting was especially bad because of how obtuse it was.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Hey, quick question about Saints Row the Third. I got a copy with ps+ and to get a copy for one of my mates. I could buy used on Amazon UK for like seven quid, but I know there used to be an online pass system. Is that system still in place? If so how much does the pass cost in the UK? I tried looking on Sony's store but couldn't see one. Very much appreciate any answers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can share games you got through Plus.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Aphrodite posted:

You can share games you got through Plus.

Oh, so if I'm reading the sharing thread correctly. What I'd need to do is give my mate my login/password info, have him create an account on his PS3 that uses that info then he grabs the games and signs out of the account? That's fantastic.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 3, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Wait, my friend who doesn't have plus can get all the PS+ stuff? woah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, exactly that. The way game rights work on the PS3, he would be able to play it on his normal account. He also only needs to start the download while under your account, it can complete under his own.

Also if you don't want to just give him your normal password, you can change it temporarily and switch it back once he's finished starting the download. As long as he doesn't remove your account from his system, he can play your games that he's downloaded whether he has the password or not.

Ularg posted:

Wait, my friend who doesn't have plus can get all the PS+ stuff? woah.

Yes. There are no special rights to Plus content as far as sharing is concerned. The other features like automatic downloads and online storage are only available to your account though, since Plus is by account and not system.

The reason it's not more common is because you obviously want Plus on your primary account, and you only want to share that with someone you trust.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That's great. PS+ titles are actually the only digital titles I own right now because I am adamant on getting everything as a physical copy (even Journey). I only know one friend with a PS3 but he doesn't really play it but it's nice to know you can do that.

• Locked thread