Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Hedgehog Vs Dinosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

AltoidsAddict posted:

Miss Mesa Mesita Querida Rosita La Plata Costilla Trinchera La Veta etc.

This is possibly the best pet name I have ever seen, holy poo poo.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Is that the cat in your avatar? That always makes me smile when I see it.

Haha no, but it might as well be.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
Wildlife camera catches a bunch of bears scratching on a tree (among other animals)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihvuZiDhsg

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

the least weasel posted:

This is possibly the best pet name I have ever seen, holy poo poo.

Yeah, there's a story behind the name. I found her (well, some tourists from Iowa found her and flagged me down immediately) in the course of my fieldwork traveling around Colorado, specifically in Mesa County. She loves Spanish because her former owners spoke it, and my husband and I speak it a bit around the house anyway so we increased our usage to help her adjust. And from that first weak tail wag, she's loved to travel and has accompanied me to quite a few historic sites. She feels at home in my truck just as much as I do.

So her name is the county where I found her, and the rest are three-syllable Spanish place names I've been to in Colorado. She goes crazy and wags her tail and brings me her toys when I say the long form of her name like she's on Sabado Gigante. The longer it gets the happier and more excited she gets, so I've actually doubled down on my Mexican Colorado research to find more names to tack on. Because a large part of the Mexican and Spanish history of Colorado has been forgotten, I always say "Et Cetera" at the end, implying that there are always more names and places. Which is so cheesy but it's my job.

My husband just says "I can't believe we have a dog named Table Little Table." I have to admit that "Little Table" is kind of an appropriate name for a 10-pound corgi mix.

AltoidsAddict has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Jul 30, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Google Plus's auto-magic thingy for my backup photos made this automatic gif from a bunch of photos I took yesterday of my niece helping yo bury my nephew in the sand:

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Here, have a quokka eating a cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb-mb61PNcQ

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

How does Miss Mesa Mesita Querida Rosita La Plata La Junta La Veta etc. sleep?

With a one-eyed cat named Turanga Leela. Leela comes from Indiana (like me!). When she first lost her eye due to a massive infection brought about by living with a hoarder (as if living in Indiana wasn't bad enough), she found it difficult to adjust to her normal hunting routine. Mostly because seeing a cat pounce two feet to the right of her target is funny as poo poo. It's hard to hunt with two people laughing at you.

She has adjusted now, and on occasion she and the dogs go hunting in the backyard. (She's allowed to go after the moles and mice in the backyard as long as it's daytime and one of us is in the backyard and can see her.) She hunts like this: She hears a mole or a mouse scrabbling around underground. She retrieves one or both of the dogs and leads them to where she has her quarry. Then they do all the hard work for her and dig out the mole or mouse or whatever, and then she moves in for the kill while they sit there. Then she brings whatever she's killed to me or my husband to exchange for treats. She gets all the credit and reward while the dogs... got to dig in the yard and grin like idiots, I guess.

(This is how my husband found them this morning.)

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

AltoidsAddict posted:

With a one-eyed cat named Turanga Leela. Leela comes from Indiana (like me!). When she first lost her eye due to a massive infection brought about by living with a hoarder (as if living in Indiana wasn't bad enough), she found it difficult to adjust to her normal hunting routine. Mostly because seeing a cat pounce two feet to the right of her target is funny as poo poo. It's hard to hunt with two people laughing at you.

She has adjusted now, and on occasion she and the dogs go hunting in the backyard. (She's allowed to go after the moles and mice in the backyard as long as it's daytime and one of us is in the backyard and can see her.) She hunts like this: She hears a mole or a mouse scrabbling around underground. She retrieves one or both of the dogs and leads them to where she has her quarry. Then they do all the hard work for her and dig out the mole or mouse or whatever, and then she moves in for the kill while they sit there. Then she brings whatever she's killed to me or my husband to exchange for treats. She gets all the credit and reward while the dogs... got to dig in the yard and grin like idiots, I guess.

Your family has the best pets, and I'm seriously jealous as poo poo right now.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

The first one to wake up kisses the other one awake. It's ridiculous.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

AltoidsAddict posted:

Oh my goodness :3:

You and your husband are wonderful people, and I hope you draw endless joy from knowing that you are giving your animals a wonderful, happy life. Thank you for sharing your stories!

For content, this video of greyhound puppies begging for love cheers me up every time I need a pick me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV9AReQd0YQ

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
How to wake up your dog.
http://www.wimp.com/wakedog/

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

AltoidsAddict posted:

The first one to wake up kisses the other one awake. It's ridiculous.

Well, that just made my day.

I took care of my brother's girlfriend's cat while she and he were living in another country, and they finally came home and took her back. :( This is the last video I took of her, as she was trying to take a nap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBl0iYTBA4

This past Saturday I went to the animal shelter and picked out two cats to have as my own. They're older cats (one has been living in the shelter since 2008, poor thing), and I'm bringing them home tomorrow.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

AltoidsAddict posted:

If the dogs aren't named Fry and Bender I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

Edit: Misread, the non-Mesita dog should be either one of the above.

Buzkashi has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Jul 31, 2013

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
This video just showed up on my FB feed.
Jimmy Stewart reads a poem about his dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=514ISe4zVQQ

:unsmith:

And just in case that left you feeling a little sad, here's neat story. A dog was abused, rescued, then adopted out to a new family, only to run away again back to the person that rescued her.
http://www.dogheirs.com/dogsarefami...ily-to-find-him

Buggiezor has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Jul 31, 2013

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Rabbit Hill posted:

This past Saturday I went to the animal shelter and picked out two cats to have as my own. They're older cats (one has been living in the shelter since 2008, poor thing), and I'm bringing them home tomorrow.

You're the bestest. :3:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Rabbit Hill posted:

They're older cats (one has been living in the shelter since 2008, poor thing), and I'm bringing them home tomorrow.

Oh gosh. Older shelter cats who have been there for so long just break my heart. But they also, as I've always heard, turn out to be the sweetest, most loving cats you will ever meet. We will require pictures tomorrow. :colbert:

V: oh sweet jesus doggy grandpa :kimchi:

Safari Disco Lion has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Aug 1, 2013

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Earlier this year my parent's elderly dog passed away at the age of 16, survived by her 13 year old son. After a couple of months of having only one dog in the household, my parents managed to get a new bitch to keep up the two-dog ideal. Given how old, male, and neutered Podge is, I'm amazed at what a positive mother figure he's become.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Doubtful Guest posted:

Hedgehog Vs Dinosaur

Curse you, and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

(And Podge is a sweetie!)

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

If the dogs aren't named Fry and Bender I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

Edit: Misread, the non-Mesita dog should be either one of the above.

The pit bull is named Bunny, because she hops, because she's like this:

Sorry about the messy room, I'd just gotten back from field work when I took that.
Edit: also yes, she is really, really fat. She has over 30 diagnosed allergies, including allergies to humans, cats, poultry, beef, grains, grasses, dust, and trees. She takes Benadryl, prednisone, and weekly allergy shots from Colorado State University, prescription skin rinses every week, and we set up a complex system of humidifiers and HEPA filters and mostly have wood furniture so she's more comfortable. She is ten pounds lighter now that we discovered she is not allergic to lima beans and can eat as many as she wants without gaining weight, though she is still amazingly fat. And the lima beans make her fart so we've all become the quick-draw artists of Febreeze. But at least she's not scratching all of her skin off any more and she's not getting weekly UTIs and ear infections!

She's our attempt at a matching set because we already had a three-legged cat.

I thought the thread may appreciate a photo of today's wake-up call in action:

AltoidsAddict has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Aug 1, 2013

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
It is too early for a Christmas song, but it's never too early for a Tim Minchin song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q

poo poo makes me cry my eyes out every time.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

poo poo makes me cry my eyes out every time.

I decided a while back that this as the only Christmas song I like.

I also think I would like Christmas better in the southern hemisphere.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Here have a video I made. It's got puppies in it.

http://youtu.be/Mi7mTSu_6cE

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
The cutest hitch-hiker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1tj7HZh2M (otter jumps inside car and won't leave)

e. the mighty wardance of the ferocious weasel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRXuyBOyow

platedlizard has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Aug 1, 2013

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
My cousin's baby had his first watermelon recently.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posted from the "Cats are Assholes" PI thread, expanded edition:

So, the two cats I was going to adopt didn't work out because it turned out one had IBS and had to be on a special diet and multiple medications, and the other was more elderly than I had thought. These would be my first pets in my life (I've never even had a goldfish), so I decided the learning curve would be too steep on these guys.

The shelter told me they put some cats out in a local pet store and to go check them out. I found a bonded pair of boys (not related) who are now in my house as I type. One is an adult cat, white with black/grey spots, 3-5 years old, who was anonymously dumped in the parking lot of the shelter, but is very docile and clearly came from a good home. He hid under the bed when he got here for less than 10 minutes and is already exploring both floors of my house.

The other is a tabby kitten, 4-5 months old, was hiding under the bed as of a few minutes ago. But then I heard the big one meow, so I went into the room, and saw the big one meowing at the little one under the bed, and the little one came out, rubbed up against him, and is now following his lead and exploring the house. This is just so cute.

Apparently they met just a week ago at the pet store where the shelter put them out for adoption, and they instantly became best friends. When I went to see them today, they were sleeping together in the same tiny bed. The shelter wanted them adopted together, and I wanted a bonded pair, so here we are! I feel good that I was able to adopt an adult cat like I had planned, and that I was able to keep these two friends together.

I'm trying to think of names for them now. I think I'm going to go with Raphael (for the older cat) and Tobias (for the kitten). The archangel Raphael was Tobias' guardian angel in the Old Testament Book of Tobit, so I thought that was fitting for these two friends. Plus Tobias->Toby the Tabby, come on.

The adoption volunteer gave me a picture she had taken of the two of them on their first day together, and I took a picture of the picture. :v:

And this is the big guy already out exploring his room, just minutes after arrival (excuse the decor, that is the spare bedroom cat room):

When I fostered my brother's girlfriend's cat, she was so timid she literally hid in the closet for 3 months, and even on the day she left after living with me for 10 months, she still spent most of her time hiding under the dining room table. The fact that these cats are already exploring the house on the same night they came home is just awesome. Now to make sure they eat something soon. :ohdear:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Refurb wishing Tycho a happy birthday, or trying to eat him. Not sure at this point in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=914jmWsMLgs

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

My life will not be complete until I find a corgi puppy and poke him in the tongue.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Happy capys :h:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So apparently Roger Federer is pretty awesome.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
A New Zealand sheep ran off and lived in a cave like a crazy hermit. With domesticated sheep, their wool keeps growing and growing all year round.

Post shearing Shrek:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

particle409 posted:

A New Zealand sheep ran off and lived in a cave like a crazy hermit. With domesticated sheep, their wool keeps growing and growing all year round.

Post shearing Shrek:

The look on that sheep's face post shearing is one of like "gently caress yeah I'm the best sheep."

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
That face is probably one of absolute relief as well.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Baby bats!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbTWWWtFFUs

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

platedlizard posted:

The cutest hitch-hiker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1tj7HZh2M (otter jumps inside car and won't leave)

e. the mighty wardance of the ferocious weasel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRXuyBOyow

These are both great...I'll never get tired of the otter, especially when it's rolling around on the front seat :3: FAKIN OTTAH! :lol:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The name rang a bell but otherwise I have like, no knowledge about tennis. But now I know that yes, Mr. Federer is pretty awesome. That was a sweet read! :3:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure I got this from this thread, but it always makes me laugh so for those who haven't seen it:

little girl waves goodbye to people going down an escalator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That reminds me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLD4In6-_A
A baby is practicing his world domination skills by making a crowd of people do his bidding.

• Locked thread