Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

8th-samurai posted:

Hasselblad supremacy, it won't fire with a darkslide in. :snoop:

Same with a Bronica SQ, but it will let you shoot with the darkslide pulled out just a little so you just end up with a 1/2 inch stripe of exposure in each frame :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

8th-samurai posted:

Hasselblad supremacy, it won't fire with a darkslide in. :snoop:

I have one of those too, I just wanted to try my new 1.9 lens since there is nothing below the 2.8 for the 80mm Blad.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-samurai posted:

You can't claim supremacy on a camera you are trying to sell. :colbert:

Yes I can.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hey all
I am having trouble deciphering my filter for my 500cm. Its a red filter and on the side it says "x6 R Red filter -2.5 for hasselblad"

Is that a 2.5 stop exposure compensation i have to add or am i reading it wrong? The item description ebay didnt say anything.. Does it mean a factor of 6 (which by my calculations is -2.5) if so how do i dial that in?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

That sounds about right for a red filter.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
how do i dial that in as a half stop on a 500cm? I just put -2 1/2 ev in my iphone light meter app and its telling ne to stop down to 1/30 @ f/11 from 1/125. Does this sound right?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

That's two stops. You can add a half by setting the aperture halfway between f/11 and f/8.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Awesome thankyou. Was not aware you could do thAt.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Is it me or is it impossible to re-create the thin DOF of medium format by using 35/FF?

What I mean is it seems that focal lenght DOF behaves differently than aperture DOF. Say I'm shooting a portait using an 80mm 2.0 with medium format, but want to copy the look with full frame. The framing equivalent is what, 50mm in FF? So at this point I'm at an uphill battle because I've lost a lot of the narrow DOF through focal length, so now I'm battling it with sheer aperture. So now I need a 50mm 1.4? 1.2? Anyway I've noticed something, either that or I'm on drugs. Aperture shallow DOF seems to be very narrow, but has a soft hill linear rolloff. Focal length shallow DOF appears to have wider walls to get more area in focus, but once you hit that edge, its a god drat cliff and is very aggressive.

This is all assuming that I'm shooting the subject at the same distance and with the proper focal length for each format to get the same framing. I haven't done any extensive testing, just something I've seem to have noticed while staring at the glow of Lightroom for hours.

Has there been a write up on this anywhere?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Photography Calculator
At the bottom is a calculator for finding lens equivalence. An 80mm f2 on a 645 is about equivalent to a 46mm f1.2 on a FF. So yes, you could reproduce it, but it gets harder to do for the larger formats. For example, a 105mm f5.6 (a common 4x5 lens) is similar to a 28mm f1.5, and you aren't going to find many wide lenses that are that fast on a full frame.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I was more or less getting at the fact that focal length and aperture DOF seem to behave differently. If I used the lens in the calculator to re create it the DOF would look different.

edit: wait i need to look at this calculator more closely. Thanks.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 27, 2013

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Is it me or is it impossible to re-create the thin DOF of medium format by using 35/FF?
[...]
Has there been a write up on this anywhere?

The perceived change in focus plane falloff can be explained by the wider context; the image projected from a typical MF lens (let's say an 80/2.8) contains a center crop with exactly the same actual depth of field (measured in distance from the camera) as the lens will have on a 35mm camera, but the wider view will give the appearance of a thinner and more sharply defined plane because it's relatively thinner to the field of view.

(Although it should be noted that different lenses can certainly have variously sharp DOF falloff, it's just not inherently related to film/sensor size.)

That was an awful explanation, just have a look at the Brenzier Method to replicate the look.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
I regularly shoot and meter whole rolls on my Mamiya 6 with the lens cap on :downs:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Ugh, I do that with my GW690 regularly, although with odd frames rather than whole rolls.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I picked up some new collodion yesterday and got back into the swing of wet plate by shooting some 4x5's. Lots of scrapes and the like due to the holder being a very slightly modified film holder, but it works. Here's just the one:

In the next few weekends I'll hopefully get the chance to get the whole plate and 8x10 wet plates going, and maybe shoot some portraits of whoever I can wrangle.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

So for some reason I decided to purchase the most ungainly camera ever made. I dont even have a bag large enough to accommodate this camera + lens combo, and I am a bit of a camera bag aficionado and have a full closet of them. Will have to get a nice backpack to carry this 90lbs behemoth.
And still need to get an adapter to hook up my 6x9 back, but the FP-100c shot at 100mm 2.8 looks delightful.

The beast:

_DSC9862 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

_DSC9883 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Putrid Grin posted:

So for some reason I decided to purchase the most ungainly camera ever made.

You're really posting this in the wrong thread. That's compact and light compared to a GX680.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Now here's a big camera:

P7300286.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And a field developing kit

P7300287.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Now here's a big camera:

P7300286.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And a field developing kit

P7300287.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

No, its just a metal bucket with a small TV welded to it. Its a common mistake to make, really...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Looks like a really heavy duty vacuum.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The lighting situation in this place all but guaranteed hosed up tones, but here's a new shot anyways:

blue lips by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

You'll get one eventually, mark my words.

....aaaaanddd it only took one thread page to happen.

I know I said I was going to pass, but I managed to get a GW690II in what appears to be excellent condition for $260, which seemed way too good to pass up. I figure I'll shoot a few rolls and decide if I want to keep it or my Kowa. I really don't need more than one oversized monstrosity.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The lighting situation in this place all but guaranteed hosed up tones, but here's a new shot anyways:

blue lips by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Your shots with hosed up tones are always my favourites.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 31, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:toot:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

First roll from the yashica-mat. Also figured out my issues with the shanghai gp3, the numbers/dots I had show up on my last roll weren't light leaks, they're just residue from the dye on the paper that comes off if you give it a good prewash, make sure to agitate well during washes, and give it a quick wipe off when you're done.

img009.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img006.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

shanghai GP3 Test.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

First roll from the yashica-mat. Also figured out my issues with the shanghai gp3, the numbers/dots I had show up on my last roll weren't light leaks, they're just residue from the dye on the paper that comes off if you give it a good prewash, make sure to agitate well during washes, and give it a quick wipe off when you're done.

img009.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img006.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

shanghai GP3 Test.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Not prewashing, very shameful.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-snype posted:

Not prewashing, very shameful.

Using Shanghai GP3, very shameful.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Testing out the Type 55 I won on eBay:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Sent 5 rolls of Portra off and realized with defeat that I can't meter in my head worth poo poo. Of 50 shots maybe 2 were exposed properly. The rest I had to try and salvage. Everything was overexposed dramatically.

I was using an iPhone app to guess exposure or my DSLR. Guess it's time to buy a dedicated meter.

Looks like I ran everything through an Instagram filter. :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

What did you shoot these with?

You REALLY have to be off to get portra too look wrong, so the shutter might be sticky or something else odd with the camera rather than your metering being bad.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
And who scanned them?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I used a Yashica D. I've never had a problem with it before, but maybe something's off. Time to retire it in favor of a camera made after I was born I guess.

I scanned them using a v500.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

A quick and dirty way to check the shutter speed is to listen to it and see if its close to a camera that you can trust. You shouldn't just ditch it after a few bad rolls, you may have had the meter at the wrong ISO the whole time without realising perhaps?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I used a Yashica D. I've never had a problem with it before, but maybe something's off. Time to retire it in favor of a camera made after I was born I guess.

I scanned them using a v500.

Just don't retire it by throwing it out. That sort of thing is fixable (if it wasn't just off the mark metering)

http://ratfactor.com/yashica-d-tlr-copal-mxv-shutter

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's actually a very easy fix compared to most cameras. Or you can get it fixed very cheaply at your friendly neighborhood shadetree mechanic.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage posted:

Testing out the Type 55 I won on eBay:

And a scan of the negative:

Top Rack Only by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Pretty loving awesome. I hope New 55 goes somewhere.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is rad, I was always bummed I never got to shoot some 4x5 instant.

How much did you pay for the ebay 55?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

That is rad, I was always bummed I never got to shoot some 4x5 instant.

How much did you pay for the ebay 55?

$5 shipped a sheet :cry:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

And I'm guessing with no guarantee that it'll work either?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

And I'm guessing with no guarantee that it'll work either?

Yep. I got a box with 5 sheets left for that reason. I might take a gamble on a full box sometime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

gently caress yea

• Locked thread