Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh boy, free Animal Crossing incoming for new XL owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Holy poo poo, they're giving away Animal Crossing for free in Europe via the "recommend a friend" thing, just like they did with Monster Hunter. Basically, if you own AC, you can get a code, send it to someone who registered a new 3DS and they get the game for free.

However, I'd trade that in a second for Layton X Wright. gently caress region locking, gently caress it forever.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

They also confirmed a US release of Summer Carnival '92 Recca on Virtual Console :woop:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

KORG M01D!!!
...I guess? It does look kinda neat.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am mildly excited about Metal Max 4 and hope it gets localized. Metal Max has always been an odd duck of JRPGS--they have all the conventions of the genre, like random battles, a plucky young protagonist, turn-based combat and all that poo poo, but the games were super open-ended. Once you beat the first dungeon you basically buy or are given a tank and you can just set out in any direction. There's poo poo everywhere, it's super easy to wander into an area with monsters WAY too strong for you and get hosed up.

The problem is that, if Metal Max 3 is/was any indication, the games are rather minimalistic. The storylines in areas are kind of hard to find, events can be maddening to trigger and everything feels very bare bones. There's a small number of NPCs and I don't remember character customization being very engaging. You CAN upgrade your tank and there's a lot of avenues there--so that may be appealing, especially if they let you paint it colors or add ridiculous weaponry to it in the new one.

Oh, and it's a post-apocalyptic JRPG so basically it is anime Mad Max mixed with Skyrim.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow. Steamworld Dig looks pretty fun... and it'll be available after the Direct? Sweet, I might get it and report back.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

PonchAxis posted:

Layton x Wright coming to the US!

Zeether posted:

They also confirmed a US release of Summer Carnival '92 Recca on Virtual Console :woop:

Oh. That's cool, I guess.

Any news of releases for those two games in Europe or Australia?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

EO4 Europe August 30th! :woop:

Ahahahaha holy poo poo Shibata.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

OBJECTION SHIBATA :objection:

Layton x Wright confirmed for EU, too.

Aww, no news if Bravely Default is still coming 2013 or not.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Thank God, LxW is coming to Europe. Also I loving lost it at Objection Shibata. (Boooh 2014!)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No Bravely Default, though. Come on, we were promised 2013. :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I missed the Lost World info--will the 3DS version have the same levels and content as the console/pc versions?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

lelandjs posted:

I missed the Lost World info--will the 3DS version have the same levels and content as the console/pc versions?

There is no PC version, and no, the 3DS version will have (completely?) different levels from the Wii U version.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was hoping for a Europe SMT4 release date but at least EO4 and Soul Hackers are coming out pretty soon. Plus the Layton vs AA reveal was amazing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

lelandjs posted:

YESS LAYTON X WRIGHT CONFIRMED FOR USA!

I realize this is secondary to the awesomeness of this news, but is it a cart release or is it going to do what AA5 is doing and going just digital distro only?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 7, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
When is SMT IV coming :negative: Are they waiting for Soul Hackers to be released first? :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Terper posted:

Wow. Steamworld Dig looks pretty fun... and it'll be available after the Direct? Sweet, I might get it and report back.

Yeah it looks nifty, but Nintendo's eShop is now claiming it'll be out on the 8th of August instead of right now.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Kurtofan posted:

When is SMT IV coming :negative: Are they waiting for Soul Hackers to be released first? :(

Well since EO4 took 6 months to make it to Europe, and SMTIV is a more text heavy game, I wouldn't hold your breath for any earlier than January next year

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno if the US Direct did something similar but

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
OK this is the most crazy thing to announce - a "free to play" baseball minigame where the DLC costs less (in actual money) the better you play. It'lll be out (in Japan) after the presentation is over.

Oh man - Daigasso Band Brothers 3DS looks loving amazing. Create a singer using YOUR voice and YOUR face!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artix posted:

There is no PC version, and no, the 3DS version will have (completely?) different levels from the Wii U version.

Oh, for some reason I thought there was gonna be a PC release. I figured there was little to no chance the 3DS version would be the same, but there was hoping. Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lelandjs posted:

Oh, for some reason I thought there was gonna be a PC release. I figured there was little to no chance the 3DS version would be the same, but there was hoping. Thanks!

It's better this way anyway - it means there's a reason to buy both games instead of just one.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Aww, no news if Bravely Default is still coming 2013 or not.

The official Bravely Default twitter said that it is still 2013 in Europe.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Animal Crossing Plaza for Wii U - sort of want a Wii U now.

It lets you upload screengrabs / QR codes directly from the 3DS game (via SD card? sorry, wasn't paying attention) and will be out any minute in Japan at least.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Help Im Alive posted:

I dunno if the US Direct did something similar but

It needs the full animation.

edit: which isn't looping at least for me. WTF.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 7, 2013

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Japan: 3DS Zelda LttP2 (? not sure of title), early 2014
Set way in the future relative to 1.

WU Zelda Windwaker HD, Sept. 26
Not sure if I really need this, though.

Junji Inagawa (Guy Le Douche) pushing WU Luigi and 3DS Mario & Luigi 4.
(He's actually Japan's best-known raconteur of horror.)

3DS Mario Golf World Tour is delayed to 2014.

3DS Darumeshi Sports Ten, DLC
A former baseball player dog runs a sports shop.
He sells minigames like batting practice, catch, umpire play, bat-making, etc.
You can befriend the owner and run errands to reduce the prices of minigames in his shop.
These games are bought with real money (not in-game money).
Available for download right after the Nin Direct for free.

3DS Band Brothers P, winter 2013
72 instruments.
New vocaloid (?) feature with face capture (like Face Raiders).
Players can make and play their own compositions.

New Animal Crossing Miiverse community, free download after this Nin Direct
It'll have its own square.
People can make posts including screen caps.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

The official Bravely Default twitter said that it is still 2013 in Europe.

And Brain Training 3DS was supposed to come out early this year and we all know how that turned out. Unless Shibata confirms an actual release date himself, I'm not going to put stock on someone in Japan knowing it better than him.

Bland posted:

Well since EO4 took 6 months to make it to Europe, and SMTIV is a more text heavy game, I wouldn't hold your breath for any earlier than January next year

NISA isn't changing any line of text. They simply don't want all of their localized games falling on top of each other. Unless it's NOE who's actually localizing SMT4, in which case, they may translate it to most Euro languages, but either way, it will be early 2014 for us regardless of who's bringing it here.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
After two weeks in Japan, I have almost 500 streetpasses, after leaving home with around 30. I have 37 of the 47 Japanese prefectures, only 7 US states. AC is by far the most popular title I've seen from streetpass. My AC home showcase has been filled for a while but I haven't had the time to visit all the homes. That Disney magic life game is getting a lot of play here too. I get 10 streetpasses everytime I go through my local station. If I dedicated the time to it, I could get hundreds in a day I'm sure.

I was at the Tokyo Sky Tree this evening when I suddenly got a message that I'm at a "Streetpass Relay Point." This was before the mail went out that that feature was active so I was surprised. I got a ton passes while waiting in line there, 90% from Japan despite a heavy presence of foreigners there. Now that the relay point system is up, I feel like we, in the US, can get some value from the games in Mii Plaza without traveling to Japan.
Also, it's not at all unusual to see several adults playing DS and 3DS while commuting on the trains here. In the US I feel like I have to hide what I'm doing if I use my 3DS in public.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sooo anyone in Europe able to buy Steamworld Dig? Because it's claiming to release tomorrow for me. That Nintendo Direct was pretty clear about it being out now, so is this yet another case of there being an A class Europe and then the e-ghetto shithole where everything takes longer and Club Nintendo doesn't exist?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Sooo anyone in Europe able to buy Steamworld Dig? Because it's claiming to release tomorrow for me. That Nintendo Direct was pretty clear about it being out now, so is this yet another case of there being an A class Europe and then the e-ghetto shithole where everything takes longer and Club Nintendo doesn't exist?

I'm in the UK and it's available for purchase. It says the release date is 8/8/13 but I was still able to buy it just fine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm in the UK and it's available for purchase. It says the release date is 8/8/13 but I was still able to buy it just fine.

There we go. 10 minutes ago it was still just offering me pictures but now the purchase button made an appearance. Cheers!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Animal Crossing Plaza for Wii U - sort of want a Wii U now.

It lets you upload screengrabs / QR codes directly from the 3DS game (via SD card? sorry, wasn't paying attention) and will be out any minute in Japan at least.

I sort of want them to bite the bullet and put Mii Plaza out on 3DS already.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Wow someone actually asked Nintendo...err Alpha Dream at least about the influx of forced tutorials:

So can you really skip every tutorial or explanation the game gives you?

No, and he's being pretty disingenuous saying so because that option stops appearing very early on.

The way a lot of the later tutorials are presented gets obnoxious, too. You'll approach an area where it's obvious you have to use an ability you already sat through a tutorial for, in a slightly different way than you've used it before. You go and try to do it, only for the game to take control away so the helper character can go "oh how will we get past this"? Then Mario and Luigi have a conversation in their nonsense babble which you can't skip through with button mashing because it's just animations with no actual text, helper guy repeats whatever they said back to them as a question, then you get walked step by step through what you already figured out before this all started.

That's right, they came up with something even more annoying than Fi's slow crawl of dialogue: conversations that not only can't be sped up, they need another character to take time to translate them for you afterwards. Most of the time to tell you something you already know. It was funny and charming at first, but after twenty hours it's getting aggravating.

Don't get me wrong, aside from this the game is great, I'm having a lot of fun. I just wish Nintendo didn't feel the need to keep coming up with new and improved ways of interrupting that fun.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 7, 2013

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Did LttP 2 get delayed? I thought it was coming out this year.

edit: Nope, the video said November. Guess the guy who said 2014 earlier misheard unless it's coming out later in Japan.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 7, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

Don't get me wrong, aside from this the game is great, I'm having a lot of fun. I just wish Nintendo didn't feel the need to keep coming up with new and improved ways of interrupting that fun.

Somebody spent four hours working on that animation, it's only fair you sit through that animation for four hours in total to appreciate the creativity of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

No, and he's being pretty disingenuous saying so because that option stops appearing very early on.

The way a lot of the later tutorials are presented gets obnoxious, too. You'll approach an area where it's obvious you have to use an ability you already sat through a tutorial for, in a slightly different way than you've used it before. You go and try to do it, only for the game to take control away so the helper character can go "oh how will we get past this"? Then Mario and Luigi have a conversation in their nonsense babble which you can't skip through with button mashing because it's just animations with no actual text, helper guy repeats whatever they said back to them as a question, then you get walked step by step through what you already figured out before this all started.

That's right, they came up with something even more annoying than Fi's slow crawl of dialogue: conversations that not only can't be sped up, you can't even understand them until another character translates them for you afterwards. It was funny and charming at first, but after twenty hours it's getting aggravating.

Each tutorial is like a minute long max, and the animation of Mario + Luigi talking gibberish lasts maybe 5 seconds. In a game that's 25-30 hours long I don't understand why it bothers people so much. Yeah there should be an option to skip them, but people seriously let themselves get way too worked up over this stuff.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I didn't realize it yet, but we're getting Professor Layton 6 on November 8th in Europe, while it's a 2014 release in the US apparently? :confuoot:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As an aside from the Ninty Direct news, I took my 3DS to the nearest city today and quadrupled my lifetime streetpass hits.
I'd say the Relay is a success based on that alone.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Japanese feed: 3DS Zelda LttP2 is coming "start of 2014."

November release for the rest of the world makes sense to be in time for the Xmas season.
(A Jan. release in Japan won't hurt--they have multiple sales peaks throughout the year as opposed to "Xmas or bust" in North America.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Well take that Japan!

• Locked thread