Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

devilmouse posted:

In the category of "Apps that may or may not break your device", an ex-co-worker is releasing this next week. I foresee lots of broken devices and / or fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2xeCBoSb0

Anna Anthropy and Foddy did this 3 years ago http://www.foddy.net/2010/10/chicanery/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'd play Nimblebutt the game, where you have to manage workers' commutes and purchase forums upgrades for your workers while designing Pocket Pool Truck Train games.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
And give red title forum upgrades to people you fire. :smith:

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

Funso Banjo posted:

What are the graphics like? Are they updated, or are they going for the retro look (being kind)
(Transport Tycoon) Beta's all NDA'd up at the moment, but the first official screenshots are over here, amongst other places.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

eeenmachine posted:

Is there a mini-game where you have to design new mobile games to afford new Teslas?

...and in the mini-game is an IAP that lets you add IAP to the games to generate more revenue...

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

JDM3 posted:

...and in the mini-game is an IAP that lets you add IAP to the games to generate more revenue...

Actually it's one of three IAP "IAP Styles" you can choose. It is random but you could double your income, triple your income, or lose everything.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

chrisoya posted:

Am I the only one who wants to scream until you update your drat apps? 60! You're on wifi, you have no excuse!

I ran out of space to update long ago.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I got into the transport tycoon beta and was super excited only to find no available builds yet for android or ios. Can't wait.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I ran out of space to update long ago.

Do you lack have a computer with iTunes installed on it or something?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

XCOM report: I'm doing the Alien Base mission and it's the first instance of a map that's significantly modified to my eyes. The original on the PC was a pretty huge linear map. The ipad version is cut down. Looks like they've gotten rid of the second section and cut down the remaining segments in half and rearranged them to make sense. The mission is significantly easier as a result. For example the section with the storage pods that's usually crawling with chryssalids? Just one easily spotted group of three, so its pretty easy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't understand... He could like, need to play any one of those 1000 games at any second!! What if he was in a tunnel!

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

SynthOrange posted:

XCOM report: I'm doing the Alien Base mission and it's the first instance of a map that's significantly modified to my eyes. The original on the PC was a pretty huge linear map. The ipad version is cut down. Looks like they've gotten rid of the second section and cut down the remaining segments in half and rearranged them to make sense. The mission is significantly easier as a result. For example the section with the storage pods that's usually crawling with chryssalids? Just one easily spotted group of three, so its pretty easy.

What difficulty? I remember some of the cheap deaths I sustained through walls that aren't really walls in those base levels. I played easy or normal on PC ages ago, and now I'm playing on classic on ipad and noticing that I have to be more careful early on because the aliens are all crack shots from across the map. I have noticed that I don't have to run off deep into the forest to find that remaining group of aliens to kill and complete a mission which streamlines it a bit. Pity about the frame rate on my mini, and the intro movie which takes about 30 seconds to skip every time you exit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The intro movie is just it loading up resources in the background. You dont need to watch it each time you start up the game, if you dont do anything with your ipad other than light browsing. :v:

And as I said: It's far easier than the pc version. Area sizes in the base are reduced. Enemy groups are reduced.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I've never played Transport Tycoon, but from what you're all saying I feel like I shoulda gone in on the beta, maybe...

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't know about you but it takes my phone a loving hour just to sync. I'm not doing that poo poo every time an unnecessarily bloated game needs an update.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It's pretty clear that the Nimblebit train game is going to be a huge hit in this thread based on the number of people who obsess over a red number on someone else's phone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In other already released games news, does anyone else in Punch Quest have a Legendary Belt? If so, do the skills work for you?

I have one with El Reflecto, and I can't punch projectiles. I swapped it out for one with Shield Breaker, and put El Reflecto on my mans. I can now punch projectiles, but can't break shields.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

chrisoya posted:

Am I the only one who wants to scream until you update your drat apps? 60! You're on wifi, you have no excuse!

I went back and reinstalled Dungeon Raid last night. I then had dreams about it, once I finally slept. I hate the way some games get into your head, but I needed something to stop my mind doing the same over Fairway Solitaire. Help :(

When developers promise to stop making apps worse in updates then maybe I'll update my apps.

Voliun
May 31, 2012
In Merchant to the Stars, does anyone know where to buy element infusers? I'm at level 22 and I remembered that they are still a thing when I saw I can get improved versions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They just pop up in your blacksmith upgrades when you reach the right level to unlock them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shameful confession. I havent backed up my purchases nor figured out how to transfer old saved ones to my pad since the last major itunes update. I literally have no idea now they have hidden everything.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kheldarn posted:

In other already released games news, does anyone else in Punch Quest have a Legendary Belt? If so, do the skills work for you?

I have one with El Reflecto, and I can't punch projectiles. I swapped it out for one with Shield Breaker, and put El Reflecto on my mans. I can now punch projectiles, but can't break shields.

Mine work fine. Not that having the belt helps me get better scores or anything.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This has probably been asked, but are there any good sites/aggregators/apps for finding when games go on sale or become free?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Magna Kaser posted:

This has probably been asked, but are there any good sites/aggregators/apps for finding when games go on sale or become free?

We all use Appshopper.com or the TouchArcade app.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SynthOrange posted:

Shameful confession. I havent backed up my purchases nor figured out how to transfer old saved ones to my pad since the last major itunes update. I literally have no idea now they have hidden everything.

I've had my iPhone completely untethered from my computers for a year or more now. I don't even have iTunes installed anymore. Feels pretty good.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Just use iCloud and it should auto upload everything as long as there is wifi connection.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Has anyone else tried Kungfu Jumpu? It's a pretty fun little twist on 1v1 beat em ups that actually works on touch screens by having the gameplay reduced to pick an attack and a jump angle.

Also consider me a Touch Arcade convert, I had been using an app called Appfire but TA is definitely nicer,

I have a request, I just bought an iPad 4, what games are good that take advantage of the Retina display, preferably not FPS or car racing.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I see that EA just released an Ultima game and that it is free to play. The IAP appears to be silver and gold keys. My question is what are the used for? Are there timers of some sort, or are you just unable to get any gear unless you buy some keys. Also, do you need to be online to play?

Finally, is the game actually any good? I have some fond memories of being completely clueless on what to do in early Ultima games.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Orvin posted:

I see that EA just released an Ultima game and that it is free to play. The IAP appears to be silver and gold keys. My question is what are the used for? Are there timers of some sort, or are you just unable to get any gear unless you buy some keys. Also, do you need to be online to play?

I read that at the end of every dungeon is a loot chest and the quality of the key decides how good the loot is. Since bronze keys are all that drops for free it's basically pay to win, but to what degree I can't tell yet.

Krolm fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 8, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

devilmouse posted:

In the category of "Apps that may or may not break your device", an ex-co-worker is releasing this next week. I foresee lots of broken devices and / or fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2xeCBoSb0

Looks like Christianity figured out how Twister works, so they made a more PG-13 version.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

When developers promise to stop making apps worse in updates then maybe I'll update my apps.

I will never understand this reasoning. Sure, there are some devs who do things that people might not like with updates, but the number of apps that get new features and bugfixes in updates way, way outweighs the number of apps that you'd bitch about. And even then, why support any devs ever by buying their products if you apparently think that so many apps get worse with each update that you refuse to update?

Bummey posted:

I don't know about you but it takes my phone a loving hour just to sync. I'm not doing that poo poo every time an unnecessarily bloated game needs an update.

Same with this. How much bullshit do you have on your phone and/or how awful is your desktop that it takes your phone an hour to sync (other than having 50 some odd apps that need to be updated)? And again, why download any game ever if you just think that they're "unnecessarily bloated"? I mean, if you literally just do not care to do it, that's fine (albeit crazy). My dad is the same way, he just doesn't do enough with his phone to care to update. But saying that "updates make apps worse" or "well its just going to make it more bloated so why bother" seems insane and totally off-base.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Maybe people just don't feel like updating. It's not an unforgivable sin.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

cname posted:

Looks like Christianity figured out how Twister works, so they made a more PG-13 version.

Yes, this is clearly an app specifically designed to break iPads.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Emron posted:

Maybe people just don't feel like updating. It's not an unforgivable sin.

It's not, but their reasons are dumb.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Feenix posted:

My reason is that sometimes apps I have get caught in a limbo where I like them too much to delete them, but never play them, so I'm too lazy to bother updating them. Merchant to the Stars is in this space right now. After like two weeks of this, I'll give up and delete it. It's the iOS version of hoarding.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Feenix posted:

I'm really okay leaving something like CivRev not updated and made substantially worse even if it means a red 1 on the apps icon. I'm also okay waiting to read what an update does from somewhere besides the in app description (a place like this thread, for example) to decide to update. Sometimes I wait for a few days to do that because I'm busy. I'm sorry your OCD hurts but those both seem pretty reasonable.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have 2GB free on my iPad and I still don't have enough room to update XCOM by connecting it directly to my PC and syncing through iTunes.

Edited because I don't have as much free space as I thought I did, but still more than enough to update by direct connection (or so I thought). I ended up having to free up 4.25GB to update XCOM.

foobar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 8, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Time posted:

I'm really okay leaving something like CivRev not updated and made substantially worse even if it means a red 1 on the apps icon. I'm also okay waiting to read what an update does from somewhere besides the in app description (a place like this thread, for example) to decide to update. Sometimes I wait for a few days to do that because I'm busy. I'm sorry your OCD hurts but those both seem pretty reasonable.

My OCD doesn't hurt at all. Just saying the reasons that had been given at the time of my posting were dumb reasons to have a red "60" badge on your App Store icon.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Some people just don't give a poo poo and it's hilarious to watch some of you freak out over it.

Do you guys hover over your friends shoulders and tell them how they should be iosing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Do you guys hover over your friends shoulders and tell them how they should be iosing

I'm sorry but Steve Jobs didn't literally kill himself trying to make the best computers on the planet so that some schlub can ruin it all by not using his phone properly. Every time you ignore a red badge, angel Steve Jobs sheds a tear.

• Locked thread