Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm assuming Best Buy was the only retail partner for these things?

Looks like Best Buy was the only retail partner, yes. I've looked around Walmart, Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, and even Nebraska Furniture Mart but nothing turned up. I don't think Google let anyone but Best Buy sell it.

All Best Buys I've checked at are completely sold out.

This kind of feels like the Nexus 4 launch all over again except it was actually in stores this time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Google said during the Chromecast/Nexus 7 event that Best Buy would be the only retail partner. Which wouldn't have been a horrible decision if Google had actually built enough Chromecasts to supply more than, say, a small town in Nebraska.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
For those of you looking in Best Buys to find them, they will be in the computer area, there will be a Google promo endcap showing the Chromebooks, and the Chromecast will be on a hook under the shelf, if they have any. I've tried 3 stores now, and they all had empty hooks in the same locations for the Chromecast.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just got my $24 Netflix credit from Amazon. Best $35 I've spent in a while.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Netflix just updated the app to address the issues with Android 4.3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just got an email from Amazon telling me my CC should ship by mid October.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

:stare: I was thinking about ordering another one for my downstairs TV, but I'll just I guess. None of the BB's near me have any stock, so I Amazon is my only go to (gently caress the Play store).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I got the same e-mail, it went from 8/21 to 10/17. Dang google, you really suck at releasing physical products. 3 months to get one? Jesus.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I got that email too, ordered July 27.

Eagerly awaiting to get the next one which says it will arrive late November.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google store order on July 25 still says it is shipping by August 16.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like Best Buy was the only retail partner, yes. I've looked around Walmart, Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, and even Nebraska Furniture Mart but nothing turned up. I don't think Google let anyone but Best Buy sell it.

All Best Buys I've checked at are completely sold out.

This kind of feels like the Nexus 4 launch all over again except it was actually in stores this time. :v:

That's disappointing. It's seems like this launch was better, seeing as people actually owned them this time, vs. no one last time. Hopefully the situation is better once it hits the UK (it won't be).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sobriquet posted:

Netflix just updated the app to address the issues with Android 4.3

Thank Christ.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Has there been an ios app put out yet?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

crm posted:

You mean the app that sets up/manages your Chromecast? No, I don't think that's available on iOS. You can download it for Mac OS though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I got it too. Goddamn. I guess I should look at Best Buy. Although, how accurate is their online store locator thing? It lists every store within like 50 miles as "unavailable"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

myron cope posted:

Yeah I got it too. Goddamn. I guess I should look at Best Buy. Although, how accurate is their online store locator thing? It lists every store within like 50 miles as "unavailable"

Could call nearby stores to see if they have any in stock.

[edit] Just called the one nearest me and the associate told me there's a shipment coming in tonight and that I should call tomorrow morning to put any I wish to purchase on hold for pickup.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 8, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that bothers me is Google is once again shooting themselves in the foot with a hosed up product launch.

They announce this cheap simple streaming solution and everyone gets excited about it.

Then you can't buy it.

But here's the rub, once you get people excited for something they weren't sure that they needed, they will find a way to make it happen. So now, these same people are going to be buying up other media streamers because they have the streaming bug and Google will have lower adoption numbers than they could have had if inventory was anything close to what it needed to be.

I already have tons of ways to stream in my main entertainment area, but I was thinking of grabbing a Chromecast for my bedroom TV and returning the cable box. But now I can't get one. So I start thinking to myself "Well, this cable box is costing me $5.99 /month. Chromecast costs $35 and I can't get one for 3 months. So, if this is really the route I want to take for that TV, I could just buy a Roku now and it would cost me the same amount in the end."

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Has anyone played a PC game then do a stream desktop to TV? How's the performance?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Geno posted:

Has anyone played a PC game then do a stream desktop to TV? How's the performance?

Tried to do this with a friends laptop and performance was like a slideshow with a couple seconds lag. His laptop isn't the fastest ever and I wasn't aware that streaming quality could be lowered, so that might help. Now that I think about it, it was probably a pretty high resolution as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

crm posted:

I don't really see how there will be since iOS apps can't change Wifi settings. Unless it's just a list of instructions to follow.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The thing that bothers me is Google is once again shooting themselves in the foot with a hosed up product launch.

They announce this cheap simple streaming solution and everyone gets excited about it.

Then you can't buy it.

But here's the rub, once you get people excited for something they weren't sure that they needed, they will find a way to make it happen. So now, these same people are going to be buying up other media streamers because they have the streaming bug and Google will have lower adoption numbers than they could have had if inventory was anything close to what it needed to be.

I already have tons of ways to stream in my main entertainment area, but I was thinking of grabbing a Chromecast for my bedroom TV and returning the cable box. But now I can't get one. So I start thinking to myself "Well, this cable box is costing me $5.99 /month. Chromecast costs $35 and I can't get one for 3 months. So, if this is really the route I want to take for that TV, I could just buy a Roku now and it would cost me the same amount in the end."

Their first mistake was giving it ONLY to Best Buy for brick and mortar stores.

They would've done better to spread it out like they do the Nexus 7. I've seen that thing pretty much everywhere. Amazon, NewEgg, HSN, Staples, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, the previously mentioned Nebraska Furniture Mart, Target, Shopko, think I even saw some at Sears and Kmart.

The Chromecast won't fail because of "not many features compared to the competition" (which is what a local station claimed about it, saying it wasn't worth the low-cost. Sadly enough, this local station is one of the most popular ones here so people WILL listen), it'll fail because you simply can't buy the thing.

I'm not sure if people are already hawking it on eBay like they did the Nexus 4 or Straight Talk AT&T SIMs, but there's that too.

Their second one? Giving it only to Best Buy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Nexus 4 was Play exclusive for months and just as hard to get at first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rhyno posted:

But the Nexus 4 was never marketed towards consumers like the Chromecast is. It's been mentioned everywhere, even on local news stations.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
The issue at the moment is quantities, not where it's available. If there had been enough units, no one would care much about it only being available through three sources.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I don't really see how there will be since iOS apps can't change Wifi settings. Unless it's just a list of instructions to follow.

I recall that Google said the Chromecast would work on iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows.

Nihiliste posted:

The issue at the moment is quantities, not where it's available. If there had been enough units, no one would care much about it only being available through three sources.

This is the same problem they had with the Nexus 4. They didn't have many and ran out before it even shipped the first batch.

LG even blamed Google for not ordering enough. Google blamed LG for not making enough.

Granted, this time people have them but Google, again, didn't have enough and ran out.

I don't think Google has much confidence in their physical items because they keep making or ordering small quantities. They're still thinking things will be like the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S which barely sold at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rhyno posted:

The nexus 4 was a complex phone.

The chromecast is a cheap-rear end Marvell SoC stuck on a PCB with a little ram and two interface connections sandwiched between a cent's worth of plastic. Google should have been able to make enough to stuff in as a crackerjack prize.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a good-sized chunk of aluminum heat sink in there too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

withak posted:

There is a good-sized chunk of aluminum heat sink in there too.

While I know JPMorgan is intentionally constraining aluminum supply to make money on commodities trading, I doubt aluminum shortage is the driving concern here.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does the CC support Netflix profiles?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kri kri posted:

Does the CC support Netflix profiles?

Only to the extent your phone/tablet does. All the chromecast does is display the content your phone/tablet tells it to.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Roku is scrambling to compete with the $35 wonderstick:

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/08/08/updatedrokuapp/

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I paid $70 for one because. Clearly Google needs to make them more expensive.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I ordered from Amazon on launch day, I won't see mine until mid October, and my local Best Buy has been out of stock since 15 minutes after they put them on the shelves. I was really, really excited about this thing, but the supply issue really just makes me want to go buy an AppleTV or Roku instead. Is google ever going to get product launches right? They'd be making money hand over fist if they had more than a few cases of these ready at launch.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

I ordered from Amazon on launch day, I won't see mine until mid October, and my local Best Buy has been out of stock since 15 minutes after they put them on the shelves. I was really, really excited about this thing, but the supply issue really just makes me want to go buy an AppleTV or Roku instead. Is google ever going to get product launches right? They'd be making money hand over fist if they had more than a few cases of these ready at launch.

Amazon sold what, 750,000 of them the first day? I don't think anybody could have expected that.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
FYI, amazon says the chromecast isn't delayed and they had a mistaken date for shipments:

http://chromecasters.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/amazon-says-chromecast-is-not-delayed.html

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

FYI, amazon says the chromecast isn't delayed and they had a mistaken date for shipments:

http://chromecasters.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/amazon-says-chromecast-is-not-delayed.html

"Chromecasters" blog from Australia? Seems legit.

In all seriousness, like I said a week ago, this thing is a runner. Google will sell millions, provided they can actually make them fast enough.

They hit the price sweet spot for an insta-purchase. And it's worth it. If supply catches up, they will dominate the streaming device marketshare for some time.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Netflix seems to be working much better after the update. No Sleep of Death and the lock screen controls don't randomly disappear anymore.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why does everyone need to have every one of the things Right Now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

"Chromecasters" blog from Australia? Seems legit.

The country that won't see Chromecast for at least a year. I'm dying here.

• Locked thread