Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

When will Paradox finally make Crusader Universalis 5: Hearts of Victoria, so I can :spergin: out and remake history in its entirety?

My Norse Japanese empire situated in Egypt just lost a great war for my Icelandic colonies. How many tank divisions will I need to retake it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So were you guys aware that East vs West's time moves hourly like the other HOIs and not daily like the rest of the Paradox games? That means it's going to be literally twice as long for a 1945-1991 campaign in EVW than a 1399-1821 campaign in EU3.

More bang (from naval artillery shells) for your buck!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Patter Song posted:

So were you guys aware that East vs West's time moves hourly like the other HOIs and not daily like the rest of the Paradox games? That means it's going to be literally twice as long for a 1945-1991 campaign in EVW than a 1399-1821 campaign in EU3.

More bang (from naval artillery shells) for your buck!

I'm glad we've been given a good selection of interesting and detailed leaders to tide us through those long years.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

To be honest, I was expecting them to drop down to ten-minute ticks to more accurately model CIWS reload times and the differing top speeds of 23 different models of IFV.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

PittTheElder posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if making the trade routes into a closed loop crashed the engine quite frankly. It would depend on how they implemented it though.

Trip report: it does. Or at least a pair feeding into each other; I haven't tried anything more complex.

I'm guessing that to determine the default effect of trade power, it needs to know which way is up or down between any two nodes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ethiser posted:

My Norse Japanese empire situated in Egypt just lost a great war for my Icelandic colonies. How many tank divisions will I need to retake it?

August 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM EST.

Omni-Basileus Alexandrios Kommenos XVI, ruler of the Roman Empire of Earth looks out from his capitol in Washington D.C.. Over a thousand years ago his ancestors embarked on a campaign of conquest that brought them from ruling a faded empire perched in the armpit of the Mediterranean Sea, to extending the dominion of Rome to encompass the entire planet. From the distance, over the waves, comes the dull roar of another sub-orbital cruise-liner ferrying passengers back from the Constantine I space station. Soon, the Roman Flag would be planted upon every planet in the solar system.

"Alex-dearie!" calls Megumi bint Radhu von Karling, his dearest lover. "Come back to bed with me."

Alexandrios takes a sip of mead and pads back to his chamber, thanking Ahura Mazda for his blessings. It's good to be the Omni Basileus.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Alexandrios takes a sip of mead and pads back to his chamber, thanking Ahura Mazda for his blessings. It's good to be the Omni Basileus.

I think you mean Sol Invictus, goon sir.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

August 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM EST.

Omni-Basileus Alexandrios Kommenos XVI, ruler of the Roman Empire of Earth looks out from his capitol in Washington D.C.. Over a thousand years ago his ancestors embarked on a campaign of conquest that brought them from ruling a faded empire perched in the armpit of the Mediterranean Sea, to extending the dominion of Rome to encompass the entire planet. From the distance, over the waves, comes the dull roar of another sub-orbital cruise-liner ferrying passengers back from the Constantine I space station. Soon, the Roman Flag would be planted upon every planet in the solar system.

"Alex-dearie!" calls Megumi bint Radhu von Karling, his dearest lover. "Come back to bed with me."

The fact that you made him Zoroastrian makes this ten times better.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

How modable will game-play be in EUIV? It seems like the mechanics can lead to some pretty interesting game-play mods.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

EU4: Do +papal influence events work? I'm not seeing any from the Portuguese Inquisition one. Also -- rally points?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pre-ordered because I want to play as Vietnam and slowly but surely become the dominant power in south Asia and later the pacific and of course eventually employ reverse-colonialism and take over France.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I feel like I'm missing something. I fabricated claims, declared war with the appropriate cassus belli, siege them, and go to peace out but it says I have no cassus belli on the province and I will get full BB for it.

I'm so confused.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Things I learned from my Austria game:
  • Gods drat the princes of the Empire love them some wars. And I clearly don't understand the Enforce Peace mechanic, because I could not for the life of me get them to stop their petty squabbles.
  • It's incredibly frustrating that if you declare war on some minor (for instance, to liberate an annexed Princedom), and another nation becomes the war leader defending them, you can no longer negotiate with your original target, and the new leader doesn't have the option to release the nation you wanted to free in the first place.
  • It's super easy to let your number of diplomatic relationships get away from you. I was wondering why I didn't seem to be accumulating diplomatic points, and it turns out I was automatically guaranteeing all the minors I was releasing, giving me 12/6 relationships. That was dumb.
  • Missions to force PUs on Bohemia and Hungary are great, and probably unbalanced as all hell. Also, the Hungary one should probably require them to actually be bludgeoned by the Ottomans a little before you can do that, otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
  • I love that the PLC is forming all the time, despite the fact that "The Commonwealth" is a stupid name.
  • Sweet Jesus Monarch points are well done.
  • I really want to play more, which is a damned good sign. This one was even more fun than my Ottomans game. I know I could hack the demo, but I play by the rules I guess.
  • There really to be an notification when somebody replaces you as vote leader for Cardinals. I saw the "new Cardinal So-and-So is in the curia, loyal to France, with X votes. You invested (X - 10) votes." message at least three times. :negative:

Walliard posted:

I'm guessing that to determine the default effect of trade power, it needs to know which way is up or down between any two nodes.

Yeah, that engine must run some sort of graph search on the network when the game starts up, I'm sure it flips out if it starts hitting nodes it already passed.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Good loving lord, westernization is brutal in EU4. Drops your stability to -3 AND sets all your monarch powers to -100 AND triples the cost of boosting stability. And on top of THAT you don't actually westernize until the gauge fills up, which only happens with positive stability. And of course you've got the usual decisions between a horrible thing and a stability hit and oh yes COMETS, loving COMETS EVERYWHERE

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The AI seems better in a lot of ways but I've been seeing them throw single regiments at my full stacks repeatedly while I'm sieging and getting massacred in a day. At one point they were just throwing wave after wave of lone regiments at my 15.

I also don't really get when to attack an army that looks like it has no morale. We had about equal troops, I had about half morale, they had what looked like none because I just beat them and I got massacred and lost the whole war because of it. Are you supposed to back off after you win a fight? My gut tells me to pursue but every time I do it's a pyrrhic victory if that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Kersch's LP inspired me to go back and play some Vicky 2.

The fall of the British monarchy to communist rebels resulted in some very silly consequences. For the foremost, look at the third war in the list.

(I eventually allowed my own communist rebels to take over, just for the sake of getting out of that god-awful liberal government. Laissez-faire!)

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't feel like there's enough sinks for military points. While your scraping the barrel for every admin and diplo point, you don't have anything point intensive to do with military points besides tech and ideas. With just those I quickly ended up having a choice between hitting the point cap or buying a tech 10 years ahead of time.

If I'm not filling in a military idea line, I don't even bother with a military adviser.

unwantedplatypus posted:

When will Paradox finally make Crusader Universalis 5: Hearts of Victoria, so I can :spergin: out and remake history in its entirety?

I want this because I want victoria 2 style pops in everything. I don't care if it slows down the game, is really hard to balance, or only has a passing relation to reality, I loving love demographics.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

insider posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. I fabricated claims, declared war with the appropriate cassus belli, siege them, and go to peace out but it says I have no cassus belli on the province and I will get full BB for it.

I'm so confused.

This happens if the wargoal target isn't the war leader, it's kind of weird. Feels like a bug. I wasn't sure if it was just a display issue on the peaceoffering screen or if it actually gave full AE penalty.

SickZip posted:

It doesn't feel like there's enough sinks for military points. While your scraping the barrel for every admin and diplo point, you don't have anything point intensive to do with military points besides tech and ideas. With just those I quickly ended up having a choice between hitting the point cap or buying a tech 10 years ahead of time.

If I'm not filling in a military idea line, I don't even bother with a military adviser.

This is balanced out by the fact that the military NIs are really drat good, and you still need the points for some buildings. You also tend to end up with spare dip points if you don't give a poo poo about your navy, unless you're taking unjustified provinces all over. It's only admin points that seem to never be plentiful enough.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 10, 2013

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

PittTheElder posted:

Things I learned from my Austria game:
[list]
[*]Gods drat the princes of the Empire love them some wars. And I clearly don't understand the Enforce Peace mechanic, because I could not for the life of me get them to stop their petty squabbles.

You have to have at least +100 relations with one side of the war, then you can use Enforce Peace on the other side, they'll most likely tell you to gently caress off but it then pops you in as war leader on the other side.

Similarly, you have to ask a country to switch religion before you get a unification cb. What bugged me about that was that I was saving that to rebuild my authority after passing a reform and it turns out you need authority to ask someone to convert. You used to keep any authority over 50 in EU3 or am I misremembering, did it drop you to 0 no matter what?

SickZip posted:

Fill out the offensive ideas, Forced March all day erryday! :getin:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Looking through the achivement list in the demo, what's the deal with the Ryukyu 3 mountains thing? I know it was in EU 3 but...

I'll enjoy trying for the no trail of tears achievement though :getin:.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

SickZip posted:

I want this because I want victoria 2 style pops in everything. I don't care if it slows down the game, is really hard to balance, or only has a passing relation to reality, I loving love demographics.

You let your military points build up because leaders are important as hell. Having a surplus when you go to war allows you to have a plentiful selection, and maintaining enough to keep up with your army will tie up all your military points for the duration of the war. True there isn't much to spend them on outside of war, but getting into a war without a healthy amount of military points can be disastrous. Skimping on military tech is a very bad idea as well. And the military ideas are really good.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

Kersch's LP inspired me to go back and play some Vicky 2.

The fall of the British monarchy to communist rebels resulted in some very silly consequences. For the foremost, look at the third war in the list.

(I eventually allowed my own communist rebels to take over, just for the sake of getting out of that god-awful liberal government. Laissez-faire!)

Stuff like this gets me so excited to play the game, but I need to find the time. I've been playing CK2 and have literally every Paradox game I own installed on the computer dividing up my time (HoI2, EU3, Vicky2, and CK2). THey are quickly becoming my favorite game developer.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Cityinthesea posted:

Looking through the achivement list in the demo, what's the deal with the Ryukyu 3 mountains thing? I know it was in EU 3 but...

I'll enjoy trying for the no trail of tears achievement though :getin:.

The achievements are more or less the same as the EU3 ones, which is kinda lame, I did most of those already!
Goddamn Najd and Ryukyu again :sigh:.
Poland can into space will depend on good kings this time, should be "fun" considering you have to play on ironman... In EU3 you did it by vassalizing everything around you then going trade OPM, in EU4 it's just luck I guess?

Ed: The Ryukyu 3 mountains achievement is to eliminate every other country as the worst country in the game, a lovely rock just south of Japan.

Vodos fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zeron posted:

You let your military points build up because leaders are important as hell. Having a surplus when you go to war allows you to have a plentiful selection, and maintaining enough to keep up with your army will tie up all your military points for the duration of the war. True there isn't much to spend them on outside of war, but getting into a war without a healthy amount of military points can be disastrous. Skimping on military tech is a very bad idea as well. And the military ideas are really good.

I also think there should just be something relatively peaceful to spend military points on, as that always seems to be the most abundant point amount. I have no idea what, mind you. Military parades or similar ceremonial stuff where you can assign a stack to do that in your capital for prestige at the cost of mil points? Repurposing military to help speed up construction projects? No idea.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 10, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vodos posted:

You have to have at least +100 relations with one side of the war, then you can use Enforce Peace on the other side, they'll most likely tell you to gently caress off but it then pops you in as war leader on the other side.

Hmmm. Is there a reasonable way to do that with an appreciable amount of the Empire? A surprising amount of them seemed pretty pissed off at me for grabbing not very much stuff. I hadn't conquered anything outside the Spanish Netherlands, Venetian HRE land, and the Italian Ambition areas. That it itself made all but a few of the AIs go to either threatened or hostile. I was having a tough time even giving away electoral titles; I freed Mainz just to give it back to them, then they didn't want it.

After that I force PU'd Bohemia. They really didn't care for that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I also think there should just be something relatively peaceful to spend military points on, as that always seems to be the most abundant point amount. I have no idea what, mind you. Military parades or similar ceremonial stuff where you can assign a stack to do that in your capital for prestige at the cost of mil points? Repurposing military to help speed up construction projects? No idea.

Well, there's harsh repression of rebels, but that's only really useful if you're suffering from revolt risk, anyhow. I guess building training camps and whatnot is important, too.

3peat
May 6, 2010

It took a little luck and some diplomatic maneuvering but my Ethiopia game is going pretty good.
Tho maybe I should have chosen an easier country for my first game where I learn how to play, made plenty of silly mistakes like losing my entire army twice to rebels while colonizing

Also Swahili :catstare:

Jah bless, imma rob dem so hard. Obama give me the ducats. I'm the son of King Solomon and Queen of Sheba, the negus, the king of kings, the keeper of the Ark of the Covenant etc, all your ducats belong to me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3peat posted:

It took a little luck and some diplomatic maneuvering but my Ethiopia game is going pretty good.
Tho maybe I should have chosen an easier country for my first game where I learn how to play, made plenty of silly mistakes like losing my entire army twice to rebels while colonizing

Also Swahili :catstare:

Jah bless, imma rob dem so hard. Obama give me the ducats. I'm the son of King Solomon and Queen of Sheba, the negus, the king of kings, the keeper of the Ark of the Covenant etc, all your ducats belong to me.

This exact same thing happened in EU3 as well. Swahili got lots of monthly income from its gold mines, very quickly ran out of things to spend it on, and accrued massive treasuries ripe for the taking. Players often kept Swahili alive just to declare war on them every 5 years for another free 5000 ducats (or whatever the max amount of money you could demand was). Glad to see that same tradition will carry on in EU4.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fister Roboto posted:

Good loving lord, westernization is brutal in EU4. Drops your stability to -3 AND sets all your monarch powers to -100 AND triples the cost of boosting stability. And on top of THAT you don't actually westernize until the gauge fills up, which only happens with positive stability. And of course you've got the usual decisions between a horrible thing and a stability hit and oh yes COMETS, loving COMETS EVERYWHERE

Yeah, it's pretty temping to hit the button as soon as you can, but you really want to have a good Admin ruler + advisor to get out of it as soon as possible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a situation where you wouldn't want to colonize as soon as possible?

edit: this is just as doing the demo as portugal, where obviously it makes sense. But if you were someone else what's to stop you getting access to portugal's ports and taking over the new world?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This exact same thing happened in EU3 as well. Swahili got lots of monthly income from its gold mines, very quickly ran out of things to spend it on, and accrued massive treasuries ripe for the taking. Players often kept Swahili alive just to declare war on them every 5 years for another free 5000 ducats (or whatever the max amount of money you could demand was). Glad to see that same tradition will carry on in EU4.
Obviously, Swahili needs a +10000% modifier to how many mercenaries they have access to, to soak up all that money and discourage attacks on them. With that much money, mercenaries should be flocking too them!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

LordPants posted:

Is there a situation where you wouldn't want to colonize as soon as possible?

edit: this is just as doing the demo as portugal, where obviously it makes sense. But if you were someone else what's to stop you getting access to portugal's ports and taking over the new world?

Not everybody has good colonial potential. If you're not a natural naval/colonial power, it just isn't as profitable and requires more investment. For one thing, buying colonization NI's is a trade-off against other ideas that you probably need more, especially early in the game, while Portugal/Spain/England can afford to go into full colonial mode and you'll have a hard time competing. Plus, fleet access doesn't extend colonization range. I mean, sure, if you really put your mind to it you can eventually build colonies as the PLC or whatever, but you'll have to neglect the land empire that's the real source of your power.

That said, there are a few countries with colonial potential that didn't historically fully exploit it. Denmark and Scotland come to mind, or a united Ireland if you're good enough to pull that off.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Anyone else think the trade interface needs some serious work? Why is there no way to see, for example, where sending your light ships to will yield the most profit? Should be easy for the game to calculate that and display it.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Oh man, the PLC can't be turned into a Noble Republic :( And neither that nor traditional monarchy really reflects the elective weirdness that went on at the time. This is, of course, stereotypical Eastern European nationalism on my part, but I'm already digging around to see if some unique form of government can be modded in. The Dutch get one, after all!

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Building up an Oman Indian Ocean trade empire was pretty fun. Was waiting for the Europeans to start showing up and redirecting my trade but by 1600 not even the Portuguese had shown up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I found out some more interesting things about trade mechanics last night. As the Ottomans, I managed to conquer the entire Crimean trade zone, so I was the only one exerting a significant amount of power on the node. However, none of the trade was flowing downstream to Constantinople - it was all going to Kiev. The reason was that Muscowy had shrewdly placed a single merchant at Crimea while I had none. Basically, the trade power that comes from provinces and barques only affects the amount of pressure, not the direction - that requires a merchant. And since the Muscowite merchant was the only one in the node, he had free reign to use all of my trade power to redirect it towards Kiev. Once I placed my own merchant in Crimea, my trade power completely overwhelmed Muscowy's, and all the trade was back on track to Constantinople.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Vodos posted:

Poland can into space will depend on good kings this time, should be "fun" considering you have to play on ironman... In EU3 you did it by vassalizing everything around you then going trade OPM, in EU4 it's just luck I guess?

Well, don't forget you can hire advisors to smooth out that luck factor somewhat.

Guildencrantz posted:

Oh man, the PLC can't be turned into a Noble Republic :( And neither that nor traditional monarchy really reflects the elective weirdness that went on at the time. This is, of course, stereotypical Eastern European nationalism on my part, but I'm already digging around to see if some unique form of government can be modded in. The Dutch get one, after all!

What do the Dutch have?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guildencrantz posted:

They don't even need a unique one, they're not the only elective monarchy at the game's start. Add something like the mechanic that turns republics into monarchies if you keep electing the same leader, where reelecting the same royal line increases royal authority, until the country turns hereditary, and you would have a pretty simple representation of it without going into crazy detail. I think that should be modable, though Paradox would obviously be able to make it much slicker. Conversely, if royal authority gets very low, events might trigger that result in a choice between agreeing to poo poo like Nihil Novi*, or facing an uprising by the nobility who wants to erode royal power further. The most complicated part would probably be to get the whole election system working properly, though again, if Paradox did it it would probably look much slicker.

*Which could be a nasty modifier that reduces power gain significantly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

What do the Dutch have?

Fine cheeses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Calvinism, bigger guns than the Portuguese, and nice paintings.

• Locked thread