Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Welcome to the Football League 1 and League 2 thread which I had a go at posting since there's none yet and I'm leaving to see the mighty Gills soon.

These are the tables at the start of the season, apparently we're sponsored by Sky Bet now.

The season's started bright and early so we have one less game to play on a cold and wet tuesday night and one more on a saturday. That was the only relevant subtitle I could come up with I'm afraid. Sheffield United have already beaten Notts County 2-1 to sit temporarily at the top. Excuse the thin thread devoid of pictures but I guess we cloggers are used to the drab.

Some of the comers and goes include Bristol City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Peterborough United down from the Championship to League 1. Wolves are supposed to be the title favourites according to this BBC guide I'm copying, but this poster doesn't agree, I'd rather tip Peterborough or something. Meanwhile Coventry City look likely to get a sizeable 10 point reduction very early on after going into liquidation which will keep one of those relegation spots filled for a while if so. Gillingham, Rotherham, Port Vale and Bradford have come up from League 2 to try to avoid the remaining ones.

Mansfield Town are back in League 2 from the conference along with Newport County who apparently have been out of the football league for about 25 years. They join the fourth tier scrap along with Scunthorpe, Hartlepool, Bury and Portsmouth who didn't manage to cling on to League 1. Last season it was a real bloodbath at the bottom of the table with everyone in the thick of it before it was confirmed on the final day that Barnet's great escapes would finally end in the same year as Wigan's and they join Aldershot in the non-league wilderness. It could be the same again this year.

Here's the opening day's fixtures.

The football's back...!!!

Spiller fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Thats some good bordering

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Im smacking my lips for todays big clash against Oxford

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
End the season now, thanks.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers for posting this, totally forgot to.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
excellent win over a physical Northampton side yesterday. Nigel Worthington has turned us from a midget team of tippy tappy wusses to a elbow-y machine spearheaded by Richard Cresswell. We'll surprise a few teams in league 2 this season.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Oh the dizzying heights of League 1. A solid draw against Brentford that I would describe has "well earned" but other, less bias people, might describe as "lucky".

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
2013/14 Update: Plymouth Argyle are piss

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Babby Thatcher posted:

2013/14 Update: Plymouth Argyle are piss

Nothing changes :smug:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
It's gotten to the point where the whole club is mismanaged to such a farcical extent that it's difficult to care. When's the last time a Coventry City fan had anything, anything at all to be happy about? Beating Man United 2-0 in the League Cup in 2007? That's all I have.

I mean, it's difficult to react with anything other than a resigned indifference. Playing in northampton? Of course they are! Facing liquidation? Why wouldn't they be? Ten point deduction? Sounds about right!

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Chin up. We'll surely be able to buy shares in whatever Phoenix club arises soon.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I'd be pretty up for a Phoenix club (although I'm hardly ever in the area these days), the club I grew up with is now more or less dead, and it would be kinder to just shoot it in the head.

Marcetol
Nov 9, 2009
Dont worry, youve got us (Fleetwood) next? Our away form is laughable

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Pity we're playing away too :smith:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Marcetol posted:

Dont worry, youve got us (Fleetwood) next? Our away form is laughable

Why don't you support Blackpool?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Adrianics posted:

It's gotten to the point where the whole club is mismanaged to such a farcical extent that it's difficult to care. When's the last time a Coventry City fan had anything, anything at all to be happy about? Beating Man United 2-0 in the League Cup in 2007? That's all I have.

I mean, it's difficult to react with anything other than a resigned indifference. Playing in northampton? Of course they are! Facing liquidation? Why wouldn't they be? Ten point deduction? Sounds about right!

it's loving poo poo but we were asset stripped by two successive chairmen and had to piss about in non league for eight years getting our house in order before bouncing back. Coventry are too big a club to truly die. Chin up fella.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

I heard people were bitching about former owners and I wanted to be there

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Notts County are currently two for two for red cards in competitive fixtures this season.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Apparently Kevin McDonald had a release clause in his contract, and Wolves have come in matching it. So now we're going to lose our best player to someone in the same league. This loving club, for fucks sake.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I just saw Patrick Agyemang attempt a bicycle kick

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

I just saw Patrick Agyemang attempt a bicycle kick
People usually have to go to the ballet to see grace like that.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Hmm nothing like an early bumming from Wolves to bring your expectations back down to reality

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Well, that game sure happened. Having an attack as good as our defence is bad will certainly make an entertaining season...

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Pompey managed to win today while I was there and it was great, the first half was as good as you could have hoped for and the second half was as bad a half of football as you could ever see. The pompey experience.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I'm going to enjoy Leon Clarke while I can, before he inevitably departs to sit on the bench for some lower-end Championship team (say... Sheffield Wednesday) in January :)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Accy Stanley's director is in trouble

quote:

The governing body charged Heys at the start of the month and he admitted to 735 breaches of their betting rules at a hearing last Thursday.

Stanley's managing director, who was also fined £1,000, intends to appeal against the punishment.

Heys, who has been with Stanley for more than 10 years, posted a lengthy statement on his website in which he shed light on the charges which had been brought against him.

He revealed that he had made more than 200 bets on games involving his own club, including 37 matches in which he had backed Accrington to lose.

Heys' statement continued: "Anyone who knows me personally will know that I only ever want a win for my team. This has always been the case and on occasions when I have very occasionally bet against my club over the last 10 years I would always have been very happy to lose the stake and take the result."

Ray Winstone has a lot to answer for imo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

the sex ghost posted:

Accy Stanley's director is in trouble

Ray Winstone has a lot to answer for imo.

How the gently caress do you only get a suspension and a fine for that :psyduck:

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
As a Gills fan, I sure am glad League one is no great shakes. We're going to smash it. Ahem

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Disappointed in the Vale fans again this week. I've been pissing and moaning for a while now that the behaviour of a certain element of the crowd is disgraceful and now we can add racism to the list, for fucks sake. Hopefully there will be some life bans and we can start to trim that element away.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Watched Stevenage beat Notts County today in the 90th minute, wow did County ever suck. Holy Jesus they were bad.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Shipped a late goal toda, ahhh like putting on an old jumper

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Psybro posted:

Watched Stevenage beat Notts County today in the 90th minute, wow did County ever suck. Holy Jesus they were bad.

I can't even apologise for that. It's just a natural thing. We're going to get relegated soon. Maybe this year, maybe not. But the chairman is refusing to put money into the club and I think we're just going to decline.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Coventry City's season is shaping up to be an epic clusterfuck, 13 scored 8 conceded in the last three games. 5-4, 4-0, 4-4. poo poo the bed!

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Jose Baxter is a strangely good signing for us, no doubt we'll turn him to poo poo and he'll go somewhere else after a year and be amazing.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

:getin:COVENTRY CITY HAVE A POSITIVE POINTS TOTAL :getin:

Callum Wilson's second goal was something else, goddamn I can't put into words how happy it makes me to see one of our youth products (hell, the whole team) playing with such confidence. I can't remember the last time a Coventry City team looked so assured and dangerous, and if it wasn't for the loving off-field shambles we'd be right up there.

It'll make it all the more heartbreaking once Wilson leaves in January :(

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Adrianics posted:

:getin:COVENTRY CITY HAVE A POSITIVE POINTS TOTAL :getin:

Callum Wilson's second goal was something else, goddamn I can't put into words how happy it makes me to see one of our youth products (hell, the whole team) playing with such confidence. I can't remember the last time a Coventry City team looked so assured and dangerous, and if it wasn't for the loving off-field shambles we'd be right up there.

It'll make it all the more heartbreaking once Wilson leaves in January :(

What more, you'll overtake Gills when you beat us on Sunday.

Can't believe how well you're doing to be quite honest. I feel rather foolish that the thought of one less relegation spot to worry about ran through my mind during your troubles

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I would like to confirm Nigel Worthington is a Bad Manager at present.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

britishbornandbread posted:

I would like to confirm Nigel Worthington is a Bad Manager at present.
On the other hand, Neal Ardley is a Good Manager. :smug:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Zero Star posted:

On the other hand, Neal Ardley is a Good Manager. :smug:

You don't support a real football team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Adrianics posted:

I'm going to enjoy Leon Clarke while I can, before he inevitably departs to sit on the bench for some lower-end Championship team (say... Sheffield Wednesday) in January :)

Coventry Evening Telegraph now reporting that Sheffield United are sniffing around. So, got the city right and league wrong I guess!

• Locked thread