Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bilal posted:

I've noticed drat near every post I make in this thread has me complaining that I wish there was more Arroyo/Vault City/NCR/San Francisco type locations in the newer games. Maybe if I just keep posting enough, it'll come true.

The fiction in Fallout tends to fray around the edges if you look too closely, so I tend to chalk it up to the gaming experience/concept that people want from Fallout more than what it ~should~ be 200+ years after the apocalypse.

I distinctly recall ranting in one of the Fallout threads about the stupidity of all the trash lying around in everyones homes/towns, as though people somehow forgot to clean in the post apocalyptic wasteland.

If you don't think about the timeline too closely, it works as a fictional construct for the most part, and I still hold Fallout as a whole on a higher tier than most fictional video game settings, whatever its faults.

Some of the stories and characters present in FO1/2 and NV (not so much FO3) gave me something to think about, and that's pretty rare from any video game writing, so I'm willing to forgive a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Bilal posted:

Dean Domino's level of villainy is so over-the-top it's ludicrous. He's the single most despicable character in the game. Yes, more than every Legion character.

Nobody's arguing that he's not completely loving despicable. He's one of the most insidious and morally awful characters in the series. But he's also just a hoot to be around because he's trying so loving hard to one-up you all the time, then gets butthurt about you calling him out for all the dumb poo poo he pulls. And he's so snarky about everything that even though he's a villain, I find him entertaining as hell. There's something about panicking evil that I just find funny.
Granted, Christine's talent is the most useful thing in that DLC because of the loving radios, but she's not much for conversation.

As far as 'the worst' title in villainry in NV, after Caesar and the entity that is his society/army, Vulpes Inculta has single-handedly masterminded a bunch of terror campaign plots all by his lonesome. That evil dude loves his job. I think I saw it tallied up once that after Nipton, Dry Wells, Camp Searchlight, the NCR train, and the Strip's chlorine bomb, Inculta would be responsible for the deaths of thousands in the Mojave.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Playing OWB at the moment, and it's getting on my nerves how lobotomites just spawn in my face when I leave a building, preventing me from fast travelling. I'm low on supplies and ammo, I have two crippled limbs, just let me get to the Sink and resupply!

Also, it was a bad idea to start the addon with a gun based character after HH. I can't find .45 ammo and Elijah's rifle breaks so quickly. ;(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Bilal posted:

Dean Domino's level of villainy is so over-the-top it's ludicrous. He's the single most despicable character in the game. Yes, more than every Legion character.

Well he's been in the sierra madre alone for 200 years, continuously plotting and scheming to get inside the vault. I would be getting a little crazy after a hundred, probably.

I bet Dean and House would get along though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Fragrag posted:

Playing OWB at the moment, and it's getting on my nerves how lobotomites just spawn in my face when I leave a building, preventing me from fast travelling. I'm low on supplies and ammo, I have two crippled limbs, just let me get to the Sink and resupply!

Also, it was a bad idea to start the addon with a gun based character after HH. I can't find .45 ammo and Elijah's rifle breaks so quickly. ;(

Pick up a Proton Axe. even with low melee skill those things HURT.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well he's been in the sierra madre alone for 200 years, continuously plotting and scheming to get inside the vault. I would be getting a little crazy after a hundred, probably.

I bet Dean and House would get along though.

He was kind of an rear end in a top hat even before that, though. And Dean would almost certainly end up trying to gently caress House over as well.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
House cares about Vegas. Dean cares about himself and only himself.

I liked siding with Daniel in Honest Hearts - losing the valley is a hard choice, but it allows the Sorrows and Dead Horses to preserve their culture, and gives Joshua a sense of peace. Besides, if the White Legs are as bad at surviving by themselves as everyone says, all the Sorrows have to do is wait them out and move back when they've wiped themselves out.

Daniel's ending is bittersweet, but Joshua's endings destroy himself and the culture he was trying to protect.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Honest Hearts inspired me to drive several hours out of the way to spend a day at Zion (I know it's nerdy as hell to need a videogame to want to see a place like that.) Unsurprisingly, the poor ol' gamebryo engine couldn't really capture the area at all. You can instantly see why ropekid would want to set a game there, though.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I've noticed that in my latest playthrough that a dense layer of fog now obscures anything in the distance. For example:

I can no longer see New Vegas from Goodsprings Cemetery. Does this have anything to do with ENB settings, or is it something else?

Also, the best part of Honest Hearts is Ricky. No contest.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OldMemes posted:

Daniel's ending is bittersweet, but Joshua's endings destroy himself and the culture he was trying to protect.
I dunno, I think Joshua's [Speech 90] ending (man I wish there was a way to get it other than speech) is about as happy as Honest Hearts gets.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I liked Honest Hearts because of a lot of the reasons mentioned already; interesting locale, civilizations post-war, lots of optional content, Salt-Upon-Wound's helmet looks awesome with the stealth suit, et cetera. The one thing I wish was changed/added was the lack of quests/story for the White Legs, I think it would have been pretty cool to see things from their perspectives; their origins in Salt Lake City, how they survived pre-Legion, how Ulysses/Legion gave them purpose, and what all the mannerisms they adopted from Ulysses means to them.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much since it was a short DLC that probably had time/budget constraints, and was focused on an entirely different story/theme, but I think it would have been cool and made the choices between "let go of the past, or kill people to preserve it " more difficult. I guess this is more of a compliment than a complaint; I liked the setting and characters so much that I wanted to see more of them.

I sided with Daniel and left Zion, no regrets

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 10, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I was kinda surprised at Honest Hearts. For one thing I didn't realize it was DLC til I was done (Steam sale hurr :downs:) but basically as soon as I started it was pretty much "kill Daniel and go get this map, there you're done" so I don't know what the hell happened. At least I've got his clothes, +5 med, barter, speech and +1 personality :v:

Back on the main story. Is there a way to deal with the Brotherhood without getting negative karma? I'm already friendly with them, so whenever I find a new way to gently caress up I just load and old save. I'm trying to be all NCR-friendly, but according to the wiki if I negotiate a truce that'll be a thumbs down for the NCR. If I pickpocket people, that's negative karma and if I just go straight in and kill the leader that's negative karma. Could I just put in a "reset quest" console command and just go in guns blazing from the start and avoid negative karma?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

I was kinda surprised at Honest Hearts. For one thing I didn't realize it was DLC til I was done (Steam sale hurr :downs:) but basically as soon as I started it was pretty much "kill Daniel and go get this map, there you're done" so I don't know what the hell happened. At least I've got his clothes, +5 med, barter, speech and +1 personality :v:

Back on the main story. Is there a way to deal with the Brotherhood without getting negative karma? I'm already friendly with them, so whenever I find a new way to gently caress up I just load and old save. I'm trying to be all NCR-friendly, but according to the wiki if I negotiate a truce that'll be a thumbs down for the NCR. If I pickpocket people, that's negative karma and if I just go straight in and kill the leader that's negative karma. Could I just put in a "reset quest" console command and just go in guns blazing from the start and avoid negative karma?

Why do you want to avoid negative karma, if you aren't willing to get your hands dirty perhaps you aren't ready to save the Mojave.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I believe Dean Domino is a fantastic character. He is evil an HE knows it, gently caress he knew when he was becoming one from just being a regular douche and he said "Doesnt matter, I will get what I want". The fact that the game even offers you the chance to finally let him go of his curse-vengeance so he can start again in New Vegas is just... awesome.

And I admit that I just like House too much, everytime I roleplaying for another faction, it just get too hard for me to kill him. When he asks me "why" I feel like just closing my eyes and unplugging him with regret.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 10, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Friar Zucchini posted:

You accidentally shot Follows-Chalk. There's a scripted sequence where he's supposed to kill a White Leg and start a dialogue with you, but a lot of people end up shooting him because "Hey, there's a dude dressed up kind of like the guys trying to kill me. I'd better shoot him."

If you can reload to before you started the DLC and give it another go, make sure to reign in your trigger finger and you'll be in for a much more compelling experience.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

turboraton posted:

And I admit that I just like House too much, everytime I roleplaying for another faction, it just get too hard for me to kill him. When he asks me "why" I feel like just closing my eyes and unplugging him with regret.
Yeah, House's death scene is really well done. There's not any option to be nice about it either, the options are from what I remember (paraphrased) "I just don't like you", "I want to rule", and "Hail Caesar!" I mean obviously being nice to the man you just killed won't provide much comfort or anything but I would have liked a "I wish I didn't have to do this" option. Because I really didn't :(

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

For what it's worth, he's delicious :unsmigghh:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Yeah, House's death scene is really well done. There's not any option to be nice about it either, the options are from what I remember (paraphrased) "I just don't like you", "I want to rule", and "Hail Caesar!" I mean obviously being nice to the man you just killed won't provide much comfort or anything but I would have liked a "I wish I didn't have to do this" option. Because I really didn't :(

There's a speech option that's "Don't worry I'll put you back in the box, good as new :downs:" and then you kill him anyway

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Why do you want to avoid negative karma, if you aren't willing to get your hands dirty perhaps you aren't ready to save the Mojave.
I've got an assload of spare Stealth Boys anyway... I'll save the ammo for the Divide.

edit: ...or not. I'll take the hit with the NCR. Couldn't find pockets to pick, I figure it'll require less effort to negotiate since I've already started moving that way anyway.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 10, 2013

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
It is interesting to think about DLC characters making it to the Mojave. I can see Dean being a Steerpike like story - makes it to Freeside, manipulates the Garretts to afford entrance to the strip, then backstabs his way up the running order to headline at the Tops. He and Benny would likely end up best of friends, right up to one of them finding a shallow grave at the hands of the other. House being a worthy adversary.

For manipulative sleazeballs who like to exploit people, I doubt that there is much difference between pre and post-war America.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

The Think Tank are hilarious.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Dean Domino is the Best Character, because Barry Dennen.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

While we're on the subject of Dean Domino and Old World Blues, I just completed the latter and it's unsettling how similar your brain's voice is to his :stare:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just love Dean Domino's good ending. Omertas, it's time to meet a real Vegas schemer. :moreevil:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

turboraton posted:

I'm doing a House-aligned playthrough right now and he is so well-written and acted, it's a joy to listen to him. I was planning on letting the president be killed (by Euclid's C-Finder) but House makes such a compelling case for keeping him alive that I'd feel like a real dick if I assassinated him now.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Really? Follows-Chalk has a pretty stereotypical native american accent.

I thought that was more like a symbolic thing rather than a literal one, kind of like how dramas set in Classical Rome written for American audiences frequently give the Romans industrial-era British accents.

Keeshhound posted:

You accidentally shot Follows-Chalk. There's a scripted sequence where he's supposed to kill a White Leg and start a dialogue with you, but a lot of people end up shooting him because "Hey, there's a dude dressed up kind of like the guys trying to kill me. I'd better shoot him."

For me, my first time playing, my primary weapon was an M79, so the problem wasn't that I thought he was an enemy, the problem was I launched a grenade at the White Legs before he ever showed up and he just had really bad timing. I actually saw him pop his head up before the grenade hit, immediately assumed from his hat that he wasn't just another one of the White Legs, and said "oops" a split second before he littered the road with his limbs.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 10, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always *want* to assassinate Kimball with the C-Finder, but it's too slow. He runs away and the guards start swarming as soon as it starts revving. :argh:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

thehumandignity posted:

For me, my first time playing, my primary weapon was an M79, so the problem wasn't that I thought he was an enemy, the problem was I launched a grenade at the White Legs before he ever showed up and he just had really bad timing. I actually saw him pop his head up before the grenade hit, immediately assumed from his hat that he wasn't just another one of the White Legs, and said "oops" a split second before he littered the road with his limbs.

Fatman. :shobon:

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The best part is that in the version Obsidian shipped he had an invincibility flag in that encounter.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I love how Dean is the only one of the four who can Let Go and Begin Again on his own, but he does it by being completely self-absorbed and callous. Take that, lesson-learners.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although it does take some serious jumping through hoops for him to get there, since *any* kind of slight will set him off on an obsession to gently caress the Courier over instead.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Dean would have been a good base game companion. One thing New Vegas was missing was a morally neutral/ambiguous companion like Jericho in FO3.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dodecalypse posted:

Dean would have been a good base game companion. One thing New Vegas was missing was a morally neutral/ambiguous companion like Jericho in FO3.

Raul thinks it is okay for the Legion to occasionally turn a town's population into Christmas tree ornaments if that's what it takes to let others just get along their normal lives okay.

And Jericho wasn't "morally neutral", he was unambiguously a murdering psychopath.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Although it does take some serious jumping through hoops for him to get there, since *any* kind of slight will set him off on an obsession to gently caress the Courier over instead.

Including stating the simple fact that he isn't bargaining from a position of power since everyone has bomb collars strapped to them which will loving explode if they don't work together. For some reason he takes that as a slight.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Including stating the simple fact that he isn't bargaining from a position of power since everyone has bomb collars strapped to them which will loving explode if they don't work together. For some reason he takes that as a slight.

Since most of DM is designed to punish players for acting without thinking, I kinda like that it smacks you for jumping on the Speech Check.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Were the Dean Domino posters in NV there before DM or were they added with the DLC?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

divx posted:

Were the Dean Domino posters in NV there before DM or were they added with the DLC?

They were always there, along with graffiti referencing the Sierra Madre and "Courier Six". That's one of the cooler things about New Vegas, there was a lot of foreshadowing for the DLC in the base game. Not to mention that the DLC ties in with the themes of the game and seems like an organic expansion rather then being, I dunno, Mothership Zeta.

Also gently caress Daniel, he's a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat who cares more about his failure to preserve the Sorrows' "innocence" then their lives. Joshua's endings are the only good endings in HH. gently caress the White Legs, save Zion at any cost. :black101:

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 10, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

NotALizardman posted:

gently caress the White Legs, save Zion at any cost. :black101:

:black101:

Although I talked Joshua into letting their leader go.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Since most of DM is designed to punish players for acting without thinking, I kinda like that it smacks you for jumping on the Speech Check.
A player who's going through Dead Money for the first time has no way of knowing what the consequences of picking that dialogue option are.
Informing the guy who just threatened to kill you that following up on that threat might not be in his own best interests seems like a smart thing to say. Sure, if you've played Dead Money before you can know that Dean is a vindictive rear end in a top hat with an enormous ego and that he will view even the slightest bruise to said ego as a unforgivable insult. But if you haven't played Dead Money before you simply have no way of knowing this at that point.

Also I don't see how this is punishing the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Also I don't see how this is punishing the player.

Fallout games have trained players to always take Speech checks, as there's no downside to it and it can solve almost any situation with rewards that are greater than any of the alternatives. Speech is cheating. It was a very clever way to blindside players by having negative consequences for succeeding a speech check.

Imagine if you found a new area with a tempting locked door with 100% difficulty. There's no way that there isn't a handy shortcut or sweet loot behind it, right? So you lockpick the door, it opens, and 10 deathclaws come rushing out of the closet and maul you.