Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ice_Mallet posted:

I was trying to build a Lifehunt Scythe character but I think I've just gone insane instead.

Using the Gargoyle Tail Axe and the Bloodshield in the second picture, in case you're wondering why my Bleed Resistance is over my Hp. What kind of abomination have I created? How do I stop.

Go to the swamp in Blighttown and time how long it takes for you to get poisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
gently caress the crystal caves. gently caress the whole "invisible crystals lol" design document that led to this abomination. gently caress lovely angles on crystals so I can't tell what I can walk on and what I can't half the time. gently caress the assholes who thought putting enemies with good knockback power here was a good idea.
gently caress YOU SEATH I WILL MAKE A HAT OUT OF YOUR SKIN

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
^^^^^^ I was in the exact same boat as you earlier today. If you're on that one invisible platform that curves leading to that secret item in the distance, then I agree with you. It took me probably about 15 tries to get across that drat thing.

But once that's done, the place isn't really that bad. The rest of the invisible platforms are just straight walkways and once you figure out where they are, it's easy to run across them. Also the gold crystal golems inside the cave don't respawn, so just focus on getting rid of them and then you don't have to deal with them anymore. If you've done that and you've seen the cutscene activating Seath (and the fog gate into his arena), you can literally just run from the bonfire in the archives to Seath's fog gate without having to fight anything.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Go to the swamp in Blighttown and time how long it takes for you to get poisoned.

http://mmdks.com/3jsj

THE ULTIMATE INVASION BUILD :pseudo:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Alabaster White posted:

http://mmdks.com/3jsj

THE ULTIMATE INVASION BUILD :pseudo:

I'd just have a race with people between my Power Within and them after I hit them with thirty thousand dung pies. See who dies first.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

scamtank posted:

Not without 1.) taking the backway with the Master Key and 2.) then doing the entire goddamn zone in reverse starting from the bottom.

You'd have to do it in reverse afterwards? gently caress that.

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Started an SL1 character yesterday and I beat Quelaag earlier today. This is fun as hell.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Artificer posted:

You'd have to do it in reverse afterwards? gently caress that.
The iaito is basically at the very beginning of Blighttown, right out of the tunnel from Depths. You normally need the key to lower undead burg (or be good at jumps), beat Capra, go into Depths, beat Gaping, then go into Blighttown.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 11, 2013

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Genocyber posted:

It's not hard. If you're just going for the items, you can just rush past everything no problem.
If you're new to the game and don't know the place by heart, "rushing past everything" in that zone with a billion ladders and all the toxic dart fuckers still alive isn't just "hard", it's basically a death sentence.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
After my first run through, I made a magic user and a SL1 pyro dickwraith. Gonna try a faith setup next. What are the stats/weapons/spells I should use?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
For a Faith build, the Faith stat works best as a supplement to one of the main melee stats, so go Str/Faith or Dex/Faith. Going Str/Faith will give you the option to fool around with Grant if you want to, while Dex builds get more out of the Faith weapon buffs, Sunlight Blade and Darkmoon Blade. For PvE, the heal spells are nice, the lightning spells are nice, force can have its uses, (Great) Magic Barrier can have its uses, Wrath of Gods is nice, Tranquil Walk of Peace probably doesn't last long enough, and the weapon buffs are nice. Most of the rest are kind of whatever/forgettable.

For PvP, GMB is loving amazing when you get paired up with an Int user, especially one that relies on spells and MLGS. Watching someone run out of Dark Beads when you have GMB up and take them to the face is really funny. Weapon buffs are cool, TWoP can be cool, depends, Force can be a useful tool, WoG can be a useful tool and easy damage (sort of comparable to combustion for pyromancers, but with some differences).

You can either go to 30 Faith to get minimum spell stats or you can go to 40-50 Faith to max out your damage/use the best talisman.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is the Stone Armor set viable for the whole game? I may start a second strength playthrough after this first one just to be a giant stone monster.

edit: also holy hell moonlight butterfly is cool but I have no idea how you'd even hit it

Arivia fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 11, 2013

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Arivia posted:

Is the Stone Armor set viable for the whole game? I may start a second strength playthrough after this first one just to be a giant stone monster.
Yes, as long as you are able to medroll in it. I mean I'm sure thousands of people can and have beaten Dark Souls at SL1 fatrolling the entire way, but if you are looking for a good set of armor then yes stone armor is good. I'm rolling stone armor for PVE on my current build, but I switch to the eastern set for PVP because I like the way it jingles and jangles.

Moonlight butterfly is when I figured out there are NPCs you can summon for bossfights during my initial no-walkthrough playthrough. :toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Yes, as long as you are able to medroll in it. I mean I'm sure thousands of people can and have beaten Dark Souls at SL1 fatrolling the entire way, but if you are looking for a good set of armor then yes stone armor is good. I'm rolling stone armor for PVE on my current build, but I switch to the eastern set for PVP because I like the way it jingles and jangles.

Moonlight butterfly is when I figured out there are NPCs you can summon for bossfights during my initial no-walkthrough playthrough. :toot:

Huh, I wandered up there unhollowed and didn't see any summoning signs. Are they hidden?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

Huh, I wandered up there unhollowed and didn't see any summoning signs. Are they hidden?

In the bushes under the stairs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Forgall posted:

In the bushes under the stairs.

ooooo. Well, going to see if I can kill Havel first and then maybe take another shot at Capra. Man I am excited, exploring in this game is so cool.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played Dark Souls for a few hours on my old computer, and got up to the Gaping Dragon before the laptop died. I forgot to back up the save, so I'm starting fresh after a few months break. I've cleared the Undead Parish and rung the bell after the Gargoyles. Last time I went down to where the Capra Demon is at this point. Do I have any other options for where to go next? I went down to Valley of the Drakes (?) but got murdered by some big fatties in a tunnel. Is my best bet just to go down the Capra Demon way again?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I played Dark Souls for a few hours on my old computer, and got up to the Gaping Dragon before the laptop died. I forgot to back up the save, so I'm starting fresh after a few months break. I've cleared the Undead Parish and rung the bell after the Gargoyles. Last time I went down to where the Capra Demon is at this point. Do I have any other options for where to go next? I went down to Valley of the Drakes (?) but got murdered by some big fatties in a tunnel. Is my best bet just to go down the Capra Demon way again?

There is a side-quest you can do in the catacombs now that you have access to the basic weapon upgrades. Its not necessarily progress, but there's loot to be had past the skellies at Firelink. With upgraded weapons you might stand a better chance.

You could also tackle parts of the forest past Andre and that big statue guy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

There is a side-quest you can do in the catacombs now that you have access to the basic weapon upgrades. Its not necessarily progress, but there's loot to be had past the skellies at Firelink. With upgraded weapons you might stand a better chance.

Is the forest past the dude in the weird armor sitting next to the big closed gate? How do I get in there?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

No, that comes later, At the very bottom of the stairs with Andre is another pathway that leads to a mean statue guy that hurls lightning. Kill him (or better yet dash past him, he's tough) and you'll be smack dab in a new side-area.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

No, that comes later, At the very bottom of the stairs with Andre is another pathway that leads to a mean statue guy that hurls lightning. Kill him (or better yet dash past him, he's tough) and you'll be smack dab in a new side-area.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That titanite demon placement is beautifully planned and should be fought and beaten before continuing. The player will be low level with poor gear, but they'll face their first titanite demon in a large open area right next to a bonfire. There are no enemies to cut through before the next go, he's sittin' right in your path immediately after a bonfire so you can fight him again and again - as long as it takes.

Every other titanite demon you'll face will be in cramped corridors, pits of tar, or precipitous drops into lava. Sure you'll be better prepared in later encounters, but you'll need to be because the environments will compound the difficulty.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ran past the big lightning demon, and made it a little ways into the Darkroot Garden. Then I found four red frog/stingray things, and a huge dude with a huge sword. I'm back at the bonfire by Andre now. :shobon: I'll try taking on this lightning demon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I ran past the big lightning demon, and made it a little ways into the Darkroot Garden. Then I found four red frog/stingray things, and a huge dude with a huge sword. I'm back at the bonfire by Andre now. :shobon: I'll try taking on this lightning demon.

The easiest way to do it is to grab a bow and rush to the far side, then take pot shots from the doorway. One shot, get back behind the wall, repeat until it's dead.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

That's an easy way to do it, sure, but you'll never learn from it.

The titanite demon shows up quite a bit in the game, so you might as well go in and learn to fight it. It's surprisingly bad at close quarters fighting. You can block all of its attacks, and circle behind it and get a few hits in.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I wouldn't call that a side quest, that's more of a "You can do this now if you really want." You're basically doing a part of the game slightly out of order, but it's also kind of designed that be doable at this point. I would still probably recommend to just go into the Depths and then Blight Town. Or you could go directly to Blight Town past the fatties but there's some good stuff along the traditional route.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bardeh posted:

By fatties do you mean those first three blobby dudes with clubs in the tunnel before you get to Blight Town? They turn really slow; I was able to get behind them more easily than most. Plus they have a big roaring animation where they don't attack. Also they're only a minute's run from the Firelight Shrine. Anyway, if that's who you had trouble with, I'd recommend being persistent...? That is, at least if you want to dive into the horrible pit of pestilence that apparently is Blight Town.

ef;b

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 11, 2013

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just got to Blighttown for the first time. :stonk:

That place is super-cool and scary, and tough. Man this game is rad amazing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

By fatties do you mean those first three blobby dudes with clubs in the tunnel before you get to Blight Town? They turn really slow; I was able to get behind them more easily than most. Plus they have a big roaring animation where they don't attack. Also they're only a minute's run from the Firelight Shrine. Anyway, if that's who you had trouble with, I'd recommend being persistent...? That is, at least if you want to dive into the horrible pit of pestilence that apparently is Blight Town.

ef;b

Yeah those were the ones. I guess I need to get out of the mindset of 'I shouldn't be here yet, I'm too weak' and just push on. There's something about the ambience in this game that's so lonely and forboding and it makes me sort of timid about pushing on and exploring.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bardeh posted:

Yeah those were the ones. I guess I need to get out of the mindset of 'I shouldn't be here yet, I'm too weak' and just push on.
The more relevant mindset to avoid is "I always need to kill everything I run across." There are times it's better to run past things until either they stop following you or or reach a place where they can't reach you.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Yeah those were the ones. I guess I need to get out of the mindset of 'I shouldn't be here yet, I'm too weak' and just push on. There's something about the ambience in this game that's so lonely and forboding and it makes me sort of timid about pushing on and exploring.

It's also possible that you may in fact be weaker than you could be. At the very least you should get your favorite weapon up to +5 (assuming it's a regular thing that upgrades with normal titanite). Once you get past Capra and into the Depths, you get both the large ember and a farmable source of large shards, and can go for +10 (or Fire+5 with a bit more work: Depths also let you farm green shards, and you can hop off to the Catacombs to use them).

For Blighttown, including those big heavies, you'll be much better off if you go in with a +10 weapon. (Fire+5 is also good for upper Blighttown, though you'll be worse off for some things at the bottom, including the boss.) Not a requirement by any stretch, but it does help.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, I just went through there last night and I'm pretty sure I'm not really supposed to be there yet. I took the shortcut, and haven't even made a serious attempt to kill that bastard Capra yet; nor gone through through the Depths (which I vaguely think usually comes first...?). But I made it through the swamp okay nonetheless (minus the boss which I didn't visit). You just have to get a feel for the enemies. I always ran up and hacked the fire bug things before they had a chance to shoot flames, and had good success with a bow and also a long-reaching polearm against those damned mosquitos, etc. Make a few suicide runs to kill off the dart shooting lizard guys since they don't respawn. Tons of good equipment down there if you poke around.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The swamp is actually really easy, yeah. It's the upper parts of Blighttown that are hard. The boss is also on of the more easy ones imo, but you need some decent gear to defeat her. The depths do come first, and it's recommended to at least go there to get the Large Ember, it's probably the most important ember in the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vil posted:

It's also possible that you may in fact be weaker than you could be. At the very least you should get your favorite weapon up to +5 (assuming it's a regular thing that upgrades with normal titanite). Once you get past Capra and into the Depths, you get both the large ember and a farmable source of large shards, and can go for +10 (or Fire+5 with a bit more work: Depths also let you farm green shards, and you can hop off to the Catacombs to use them).

For Blighttown, including those big heavies, you'll be much better off if you go in with a +10 weapon. (Fire+5 is also good for upper Blighttown, though you'll be worse off for some things at the bottom, including the boss.) Not a requirement by any stretch, but it does help.

I'd suggest waiting for Blighttown Swamp to farm upgrade materials. The leeches tend to be far more generous in their shard droprates than the slimes, and usually provide 5 greens a pop when those drop. You can be wasting a lot of boring time combusting slimes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

I'd suggest waiting for Blighttown Swamp to farm upgrade materials. The leeches tend to be far more generous in their shard droprates than the slimes, and usually provide 5 greens a pop when those drop. You can be wasting a lot of boring time combusting slimes.

This is a good point. Leech farming in Blighttown goes much faster than slime farming in Depths (especially for the 5x greens) if you don't mind the wait. If you are having a hard time with upper Blighttown, though, the slow slime farming in Depths is always an option to make things easier.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Plus in the Depths you can farm humanity from the rats and Sunbro for Gaping, which gives out more souls than Quelaag.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I always found that the only grind i found myself doing was for titanite chunks, and the darkwraiths in lower old londo tended to have the best drop rates (with the snake ring and 1-3 liquid humanities) for me, much better and quicker/easier than doing the run for the 2 royal sentinels. You might need to get past O&S first (if you don't want to kill that NPC to drain the water).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Newbie Trip Report Update:

This time on NTRU: A leisurely stroll around, the murder of 2 dark knights plus

So I picked up from yesterday and started at Firelight Shrine bonfire.
I remembered I had seen a lady in a cage near there and went to her.
I upgraded my Estus Flask with the Firekeeper soul I found in the church yesterday.

First thing I did then was clear a path to the blacksmith in undead parish (I keep forgetting his name).
I really like the Halberd I found, it gives me a good poking range and allows me to avoid hits easier by keeping my distance.
So I decided to splurge on my Titanite Shards and upgraded it to +5.

I am currently a little lost and have no idea what I need to do, so I decided to clear the Undead Parish church
I had already seen the caster but not attacked it yet. I went up the stairs and killed the knight, then I stood in the doorway while 8 zombies and the caster ran at me.
Naturally even 8 very skinny zombies form a mass of bodies that causes a doorway to get clogged, so I just thrust my halberd at them repeatedly until they were dead.
The caster had got tangled in there, too and died with them. I didn't even realize he was dead until I saw his body when I carefully tried to enter the room.
Then I stumbled out onto the church roof and got killed by the bell gargoyle.

I ran back from the bonfire at the smith, cleared the church and opened the cell door with the mystery key from wherever I got it. That bastard now owes me a reward.

Afterwards I decided to see about that dragon at the bridge.
I took the shortcut up from Undead Burgh bonfire and entered the bridge at midpoint.
After I ran across to the other outcropping in the middle of the bridge and the dragon roasted all undead.
I was at a loss how to reach it, so I lobbed an arrow at it and BLAM, it landed right next to me.
The dam camera angle made it impossible to see anything but 2 giant feet and then fire all around me.
After the Wyvern killed me 4 times in this fashion I gave up and just rolled through its legs and ran for the room behind the bridge.
I lit the bonfire, slaughtered the 3 unaware zombies and opened the large gate.

I was still at a loss what to do so I decided to take try and kill the dark knight in Undead Burgh.
What can I say, never underestimate power of a Halberd +5 and the skills you aquire with a bit of patience. I killed it on my first try and collected the the ring behind it.

Feeling ballsy, I also took on the knight in Darkroot Basin, killed it also on the first try and collect the Grassland shield or what it is called.

This led to my discovery of the bonfire, which I lit, and the elevator to the Valley of Drakes where I killed the first drake but got electrocuted by the second on the bridge.
I ran back to get my souls and then headed back up the elevator. Drakes seem a bit tough atm.

I killed all the stone giants in Darkroot Basin and went up to the fog door, but I did not open it yet. I wasn't sure this was where I needed to be at this time.
Then I logged out.

Summary of progress so far:

Here is my toon right now:

I am going for dexterity weapons.
I also have enough souls for the next level but am unsure what top invest in.

Non respawning stuff I killed:
1. Killed Taurus demon
2. Killed Boar in Undead Parish
3. Killed Havel
4. Killed Tower Knight in Undead Parish
5. Killed Black Knight in church in Undead Parish
6. Killed Titanite Demon in Undead Parish
7. Killed magic caster in church in Undead Parish

I know where the following bosses are:
a) Capra Demon (been there, went through its door, got bumrushed by it, died and never went back)
b) Wyvern (I tried to kill it but it lands smack in the middle of the bridge and all I see is 2large feet before it BBQs me)
c) Belltower gargoyle (went there accidentally, got killed. Also: I hate flying enemies)
d) That thing that shoots "magic waves" in Darkroot basin (never went close enough to see what it is)

Things I discovered and don't knwo what they do/mean:
1. Got the copper coin of the guy near Firelight shrine elevator.
2. Freed the golden Knight in the Church, he owes me a reward
3. Found the Samurai next to the large doors (this seems to be something that will resolve itself later)

Overall impression:
I really like this game, but it has too many shortcuts/ways to go and severely lacks a journal or questgivers or hints.
There is not even a way to tell which boss is next in line/appropriate for your level

I hate to admit it, but I really don't know what to do next. I completely have no idea where in the storyline I am.
Actually I don't even know what the story is.
That sounds as if I am totally daft but I really can't remember what I need to do/where I need to go.

I am undead and apparently chosen to go somewhere/do something.
I left the Asylum to go where I am supposed to go and ended up in Undead Burgh.
That's it.

I haven't read up on this on purpose, even though I feel like a total idiot.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You're doing great, you're still in the 'early game', so to speak, things will start making sense once your have run both bells, as the crestfallen warrior (the guy next to the firelink bonfire) told you. The proper boss for you to fight right now (spoilered just in case):

the gargoyle on top of the church

followed by
the capra demon and his dogs

Another tip boss-wise:

the bridge-drake is totally optional, and he's pretty hard even for fully leveled/geared dudes.

Your stats look great, and I'd advice not leveling up more until you get somewhat further in the game, you'll need the souls for new gear/upgrading. For leveling, keep hitting DEX for more damage, VIT for more HP, END for more stamina/equip. I'd advice something like 24-30 VIT, 30-40 END, and 40 DEX as final stats. Don't touch STR unless you find a weapon that needs more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I rolled another character, intending to be a dex based poker with the Estoc, since it's not bad and you can get it pretty early on. After smashing my sword into the Taurus demon a few (dozen!) times and deftly slicing off his junk, I went through into the parish. What does the first Baulder Knight drop for me, before I even get to Andre? A Baulder Side Sword. Well, there goes my estoc to rot in the bottomless box for another run! :v:

• Locked thread