Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Can someone give me a brief explanation on how re-classing works in FE: Awakening? This stuff kind of ruined Shadow Dragon for me, as it felt like no unit really had any key place or role, I kind of prefer the old model where there's one specific class for each character. I don't know, is it a necessity for a casual playthrough?

Reclassing is not at all necessary to finish the game, aside from maybe Donny who you should really reclass away from Villager ASAP.

Basically once you hit Level 10, a character can reclass into another class with a Second Seal. Each character has a set 'group' of classes they can reclass into, usually connected to their personality in some way. (Chrom can be Lord, Knight or Archer for example.) They return to Level 1 but retain their stats (aside from class bonuses) and gain experience as if they were a higher level. The cap on this experience gain depends on your difficulty level.

The child of two characters gains access to their own character-specific classes plus the classes their parents have. If they gain a gender-specific class like Pegasus Knight it is altered to an opposite-gender variant.

If you want do the challenge DLCs you really should reclass however, because they expect higher stats than you can get from 40 levels of normal growth.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Reclassing is not at all necessary to finish the game, aside from maybe Donny who you should really reclass away from Villager ASAP.

Basically once you hit Level 10, a character can reclass into another class with a Second Seal. Each character has a set 'group' of classes they can reclass into, usually connected to their personality in some way. (Chrom can be Lord, Knight or Archer for example.) They return to Level 1 but retain their stats (aside from class bonuses) and gain experience as if they were a higher level. The cap on this experience gain depends on your difficulty level.

The child of two characters gains access to their own character-specific classes plus the classes their parents have. If they gain a gender-specific class like Pegasus Knight it is altered to an opposite-gender variant.

What benefit do you have to doing this though? So I shouldn't have my level 16 donny? :(

E: As someone who memorized FF7, 8 and 9 I feel like such a noob with this game :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

What benefit do you have to doing this though? So I shouldn't have my level 16 donny? :(

E: As someone who memorized FF7, 8 and 9 I feel like such a noob with this game :(

The reason to reclass Donny is that Villager is a bit of a 'gimmick' class. They have absolutely awful base stats in exchange for start with the Aptitude ability. (A huge boost to stat growth.) Donny actually has good stats but a terrible class because the idea is to train him up and then reclass him. Once you change him over to a swordman he'll become way more effective. Remember Amelia in FE8? He is like that except you have to manually change him to another class.

Donny will keep his stats and in fact will gain a boost to his stats if you switch him to another class with Second Seal.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am only an hour into M&L, past the intro dungeon, and I am not really seeing how the tutorials are excessive. Half you can skip, and the other half are over soon enough. I do not doubt that there will be more, but from the way, say, Jeremy Parish was describing the game on his new site, I was expecting for it to be worse.

It kind of gets me thinking of an old Marvel Comics mandate, something to the effect of "Every comic is someone's first comic". Which is why you have that overly expository dialog at times. I guess Nintendo is sort of doing that nowadays, and I do not think it is an entirely a bad thing.

I am well aware of that, thank you. I guess I am do not really mind that sort of thing. Apologies if I sounded dismissive.
VVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 11, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Unlucky7 posted:

I am only an hour into M&L, past the intro dungeon, and I am not really seeing how the tutorials are excessive. Half you can skip, and the other half are over soon enough. I do not doubt that there will be more, but from the way, say, Jeremy Parish was describing the game on his new site, I was expecting for it to be worse.

Post again when you're 10 hours into the game and there are still more tutorials.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well I decided to get the game after trying out the demo and what everyone else said. You people were not kidding about the handholding. I mean, they're explaining the concept of exp and leveling up in an RPG. :ughh: Not to mention they way they did it was pretty long winded. I'm pretty sure they could have just explained that in a sentence or two if they had to. How long until the game gets better, because the beginning is really slow.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 11, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I decided to get the game after trying out the demo and what everyone else said. You people were not kidding about the handholding. I mean, they're explaining the concept of exp and leveling up in an RPG. :ughh: Not to mention they way they did it was pretty long winded. I'm pretty sure they could have just explained that in a sentence or two if they had to. How long until the game gets better, because the beginning is really slow.

The game never stops talking at you but it does speed up after a couple hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

It kind of gets me thinking of an old Marvel Comics mandate, something to the effect of "Every comic is someone's first comic". Which is why you have that overly expository dialog at times. I guess Nintendo is sort of doing that nowadays, and I do not think it is an entirely a bad thing.

I am well aware of that, thank you. I guess I am do not really mind that sort of thing. Apologies if I sounded dismissive.
VVV

As I said above, the "tutorial" thing is blown way out of proportion. When a new mechanic is introduced the game tells you how to use it. There's a few egregious cases that could have been trimmed (the badge shop explanation in Wakeport is a good example) but the complaining has blown it up into a lot more than it actually is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dr. Fetus posted:

They addressed that specific complaint in a Q&A (maybe an Iwata Asks segment?). Basically, they recieved a surprising amount of input from things like Club Nintendo surveys for Bowser's Inside Story that the game assumed too much when it came to that kind of basic RPG knowledge, so I guess this is their answer to that.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to those in the thread that recommended Steamworld Dig, I'm having lots of fun with it. It's sort of like a simplified mashup of Terraria, Dig Dug and Spelunker.

I was sort of expecting more randomization though and was under the impression it would be more like say, Azure Dreams or a Dungeon Crawler/Roguelike. I thought there would be a static town and you could keep going down into random dungeons. That's not the case though and it seems that the only random part is during game creation? Once the world is built, it's seems to be static.

I guess that goes to show how much I fill in the gaps and just assume because the only exposure I had to the game was this thread and the trailer.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Oh man, spoofing APs was totally worth it. I'm suddenly up by 20 homes in Animal Crossing, 12 new StreetPasses from SMTIV, 4 new profile cards in Style Savvy (surprisingly) and countless people from Mii Plaza. :circlefap:

e: If anyone's interested, I want to make the goon MAC address 40:47:4f:4f:4e:53. It spells @GOONS in hex. I've uploaded my character there tonight; have fun!

Casull fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 11, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

I mean, they're explaining the concept of exp and leveling up in an RPG. :ughh:

So they should just not explain it? Like they should not explain jumping and other core mechanics? Does everyone automatically know how they work? It's a Mario game, it's going to be played by kids as baby's first RPG.

It seems like The Nintendo Tutorial Hatred is it's weird own thing nowadays, where if you're a savvy videogamesman and posting on the internet, you HAVE to complain about the tutorials in Nintendo games.

Like, really. You need to waste a precious minute of your time to listen to how jumping/exp/HP etc. works. Then some time later, you get hammers, and so you get explained how hammers work. This, too, takes like a minute. Repeat process for whenever you get a new thing. And this is somehow a problem? You can even skip most of these, I think.

I can understand the Fi hate, what with her popping up incessantly telling you solutions to puzzles, or important things like "Your battery is low" but this? This is ridiculous.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeeeaahhh...going away from tutorialchat, the music is amazing in this game, and the first dreamworld bossfight (Dreamy Mario) was really fun.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
If I'm only playing a handheld game for fifteen minutes, I don't want to spend four or five of it reading things from the manual.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I feel that tutorials only feel that bad just because of how the beginning is done. For the first hour or so, you're just battling the same enemy, who does easily identifiable and easily counter-able moves. It makes the tutorials seem way more condescending, just because it seems blatantly intuitive. I'll admit I put down the game for a while just because of how slow it was.

That said, in hindsight I am actually glad there is that time to get used to the controls and, most importantly, timing. A missed dodge can gently caress you up in later parts, especially if it trips up Mario or Luigi.

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

Casull posted:

Oh man, spoofing APs was totally worth it. I'm suddenly up by 20 homes in Animal Crossing, 12 new StreetPasses from SMTIV, 4 new profile cards in Style Savvy (surprisingly) and countless people from Mii Plaza. :circlefap:

e: If anyone's interested, I want to make the goon MAC address 40:47:4f:4f:4e:53. It spells @GOONS in hex. I've uploaded my character there tonight; have fun!

Aw man, Style Savvy cards? I need to get in on this. But I can't change the MAC address of my router (thanks, BT!) and the things I've found for android require me to root my phone, which I'm a bit nervous about doing.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Post again when you're 10 hours into the game and there are still more tutorials.
Are they not still introducing new gameplay mechanics at that point, or at the very least new to this game anyways?

I don't see how it being 10 hours in and after a bunch of other tutorials would make a difference to Johnny Youngkid if he still didn't know how to do what they are putting across.

I can agree with people's complaints about the hard difficulty being locked behind game completion, and the fact that the tutorials are still apparently in hard mode for god knows what reason, but bitching that tutorials are in the easy mode made for everyone, where half of them are skippable in one way or another seems pretty silly, and whining just for the sake of whining.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Casull posted:

I'm going to set up on this MAC tonight when I get home.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Casull posted:

Hey so I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff. Could someone run me through it really quick? I'd love to get some more Fire Emblem StreetPass teams. :shobon:

Tithin Melias posted:

I just checked with them and apparently the game was discontinued by Nintendo and they've not been able to get it in in spite of their many attempts.
Oh poo poo, is Theatrhythm discontinued in NA as well? I lucked out and found a copy way back when but these days I'm kinda strapped for cash so I ended up trading it in when there was new stuff I wanted. If it's discontinued I should reacquire it sooner rather than later.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ImpAtom posted:

The reason to reclass Donny is that Villager is a bit of a 'gimmick' class. They have absolutely awful base stats in exchange for start with the Aptitude ability. (A huge boost to stat growth.) Donny actually has good stats but a terrible class because the idea is to train him up and then reclass him. Once you change him over to a swordman he'll become way more effective. Remember Amelia in FE8? He is like that except you have to manually change him to another class.

Donny will keep his stats and in fact will gain a boost to his stats if you switch him to another class with Second Seal.
Is there an ideal level to reclass Donny at? I'd only been using master seals on my other classes once they reached max level to make sure I didn't miss any stat increases or skills, but now my Donny is at like level 23 and I was wondering whether I should continue to level him to get the most out of his stats and so I don't miss any potential skills or if I should just cut my losses and reclass him because he's doing progressively lower damage to the enemies than all my other advanced units.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You either reclass Donny at level 10 to get him out of Villager ASAP or you reclass him at 15 if you really want the Underdog skill (which IMO isn't that great anyway). There is no point in keeping him as a villager any longer than you need to.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Kaubocks posted:

You either reclass Donny at level 10 to get him out of Villager ASAP or you reclass him at 15 if you really want the Underdog skill (which IMO isn't that great anyway). There is no point in keeping him as a villager any longer than you need to.
Okay, I'll reclass him next time I play. What about the other classes that don't max out at level 20 like the dragon and beast people, they seem to hold their own with my advanced units so are they fine to keep as they are or should I really be reclassing them too?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Manaketes are great. A lot of the time I will reclass them around a bit to grab some skills from other classes but keeping them as a Manakete or ending their class hopping as a Manakete is not a bad idea. Pretty much the only stat they've got that sucks is speed but they can take a beating and dish it right back out-- at 1-2 range no less!

Taguels are okay but their lack of ranged combat kinda hurts them in the long run. Panne is a character I would definitely consider reclassing if you're planning on using her.

Unless you've got DLC, the only other class that goes up to 30 is Dancer so Olivia is kind of a weird case. The only reason you've ever take her beyond level 10 as a Dancer is if you plan on keeping her as a Dancer. Dancing is a unique skill and she's the only one who can do it. It can be useful if you can keep her up to speed and out of harm's way though I can't really speak from experience with her because I have so many fliers and characters with Galeforce that she's usually left in the dust.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kaubocks posted:

Hey so I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff. Could someone run me through it really quick? I'd love to get some more Fire Emblem StreetPass teams. :shobon:

Oh poo poo, is Theatrhythm discontinued in NA as well? I lucked out and found a copy way back when but these days I'm kinda strapped for cash so I ended up trading it in when there was new stuff I wanted. If it's discontinued I should reacquire it sooner rather than later.

I don't know to be frank, I would assume so as well.

I managed to track one down in an EB in QLD (Aerie or something) but they wouldn't ship it to me direct, I had to go to a local store and have them order it for me :sigh:

Guess I'll be doing that tommorow. It's a shame I have to go to all this loving effort for the game - it was one of the reasons I wanted a 3ds, and the demo is great.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
What is Nintendo Zone? I have seen a few people in Streetpass using it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

jtm33 posted:

What is Nintendo Zone?

I'd love to post a LMGTFY link, but instead here's Nintendo's info page titled "What is Nintendo Zone?": http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

I'd love to post a LMGTFY link, but instead here's Nintendo's info page titled "What is Nintendo Zone?": http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone
I already searched the Nintendo site and couldn't find it.

quote:

To get started, tap the blinking Nintendo Zone icon on the HOME Menu of your Nintendo 3DS system.
I can't see it. Can't find it in eShop either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jtm33 posted:

What is Nintendo Zone? I have seen a few people in Streetpass using it.

Basically certain public wi-fi points are tagged as Nintendo Zones, they allow 3DS' to connect to the internet automatically. They're now also the locations of streetpass relays.

jtm33 posted:

I already searched the Nintendo site and couldn't find it.

I can't see it. Can't find it in eShop either.

You can't download the app, it'll automatically show itself when you're at one.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 11, 2013

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
:siren: Attention Canadians :siren:

* You need the box

Available at BestBuy and FutureShop

The list of trade in titles can be found here. Luigi's Mansion 2, Sticker Star, and NSMB2 are all on the list.

Maxxim fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 11, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

njsykora posted:

Basically certain public wi-fi points are tagged as Nintendo Zones, they allow 3DS' to connect to the internet automatically. They're now also the locations of streetpass relays.

You can't download the app, it'll automatically show itself when you're at one.

What do you mean by public wi-fi points? Have Nintendo set them up? And anyone with a 3DS can connect to them for Spotpass and streetpass?

jtm33 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 11, 2013

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Maxxim posted:

:siren: Attention Canadians :siren:

* You need the box

Available at BestBuy and FutureShop

The list of trade in titles can be found here. Luigi's Mansion 2, Sticker Star, and NSMB2 are all on the list.

Sweet, gives me an excuse to get rid of Soul Hackers!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jtm33 posted:

What do you mean by public wi-fi points? Have Nintendo set them up? And anyone with a 3DS can connect to them for Spotpass and streetpass?

Generally it's wi-fi points in coffee shops, airports etc. Not Nintendo operated but they're recognised as Nintendo Zones by the 3DS. There was a thing earlier where people said it was only certain SSIDs.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Attack of the Friday Monsters is :allears: : the Game.

You can read about it in the new issue of Scroll all about the creator Kaz Ayabe and his company Millennium Kitchen. It's a super charming, adorable little game about a boy who moves to a small town in rural Japan that gets attacked by kaiju every Friday. It's part of Level 5's series of games by small, creator-driven Japanese companies. There's also one by Keiji Inafune.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

njsykora posted:

Generally it's wi-fi points in coffee shops, airports etc. Not Nintendo operated but they're recognised as Nintendo Zones by the 3DS. There was a thing earlier where people said it was only certain SSIDs.

Ah fair enough. I haven't encountered one, does it automatically connect or do you need to configure it?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Amppelix posted:

So they should just not explain it? Like they should not explain jumping and other core mechanics? Does everyone automatically know how they work? It's a Mario game, it's going to be played by kids as baby's first RPG.

It's not that they shouldn't explain it, it's that there are far better ways to do so, and a company as large as Nintendo should (but doesn't) follow the lead of other game developers who have built more accommodating ways of shoe-horning tutorials into their games. I could rack my brain and come up with a dozen recent instances of well-made tutorials, but this isn't the place. It's not just vitriol towards Nintendo; they're stubbornly refusing to change with the times when it comes to in-game tutorials. They're an innovative company in many ways but also rear end-backwards in many others, and this, like their online offerings, is one of those areas where they just haven't caught up with the rest of the industry.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

petewhitley posted:

It's not that they shouldn't explain it, it's that there are far better ways to do so, and a company as large as Nintendo should (but doesn't) follow the lead of other game developers who have built more accommodating ways of shoe-horning tutorials into their games. I could rack my brain and come up with a dozen recent instances of well-made tutorials, but this isn't the place. It's not just vitriol towards Nintendo; they're stubbornly refusing to change with the times when it comes to in-game tutorials. They're an innovative company in many ways but also rear end-backwards in many others, and this, like their online offerings, is one of those areas where they just haven't caught up with the rest of the industry.

I initially read "industry" as "century" and it made perfect sense.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

They addressed that specific complaint in a Q&A (maybe an Iwata Asks segment?). Basically, they recieved a surprising amount of input from things like Club Nintendo surveys for Bowser's Inside Story that the game assumed too much when it came to that kind of basic RPG knowledge, so I guess this is their answer to that.

For the next game there really needs to be an option when you start a game to automatically skip all tutorials, because I'm loving tired of them. Just let us choose 'I'm unfamiliar with RPGs!' or 'I've played RPGs before (also I'm not functionally retarded)' and let it be done.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Unmature posted:

Attack of the Friday Monsters is :allears: : the Game.

You can read about it in the new issue of Scroll all about the creator Kaz Ayabe and his company Millennium Kitchen. It's a super charming, adorable little game about a boy who moves to a small town in rural Japan that gets attacked by kaiju every Friday. It's part of Level 5's series of games by small, creator-driven Japanese companies. There's also one by Keiji Inafune.

It actually takes place in Setagaya, a ward of the city of Tokyo, just a few kilometers away from such places as Shibuya and Shinjuku. Not really "rural Japan", nor a small town.

I have a theory about this game, considering how different the reactions to it are in Japan and in the west. In Japan, it's a nostalgia piece, and not a very well made one. The people the game was written for - those who have been kids at the time the game takes place - seem to think it's a by-the-numbers setting designed to hit all the standard nostalgia spots without actually delivering anything new to the table. I most certainly did not grow up in Japan, but I can see where they're coming from - I played the designer's other nostalgia series, Boku no Natsu Yasumi, and this game is clearly inferior.

On the other hand, the game gets endless praise in the west, and I think it's because that for most of that audience it's an exotic work where you get to peek at a different culture's nostalgia without much prior reference. This probably makes even what are trite old tropes for the target audience interesting to westerners, which makes the entire game work far better for an audience it wasn't even written for.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

orenronen posted:

It actually takes place in Setagaya, a ward of the city of Tokyo, just a few kilometers away from such places as Shibuya and Shinjuku. Not really "rural Japan", nor a small town.

I have a theory about this game, considering how different the reactions to it are in Japan and in the west. In Japan, it's a nostalgia piece, and not a very well made one. The people the game was written for - those who have been kids at the time the game takes place - seem to think it's a by-the-numbers setting designed to hit all the standard nostalgia spots without actually delivering anything new to the table. I most certainly did not grow up in Japan, but I can see where they're coming from - I played the designer's other nostalgia series, Boku no Natsu Yasumi, and this game is clearly inferior.

On the other hand, the game gets endless praise in the west, and I think it's because that for most of that audience it's an exotic work where you get to peek at a different culture's nostalgia without much prior reference. This probably makes even what are trite old tropes for the target audience interesting to westerners, which makes the entire game work far better for an audience it wasn't even written for.

I also think that people may be expecting too much from this tiny downloadable game. I've seen sine similar eaten reviews calling it boring or uneventful, when action-packed hours-long gameplay is clearly not what this game wants to be.

I haven't played the Boku games yet, but that issue of Scroll made me want to play every one of then REAL bad. And Ray's interview with Ayabe is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Amppelix posted:

It seems like The Nintendo Tutorial Hatred is it's weird own thing nowadays, where if you're a savvy videogamesman and posting on the internet, you HAVE to complain about the tutorials in Nintendo games.

Like, really. You need to waste a precious minute of your time to listen to how jumping/exp/HP etc. works. Then some time later, you get hammers, and so you get explained how hammers work. This, too, takes like a minute. Repeat process for whenever you get a new thing. And this is somehow a problem? You can even skip most of these, I think.

I can understand the Fi hate, what with her popping up incessantly telling you solutions to puzzles, or important things like "Your battery is low" but this? This is ridiculous.

It's really long winded about that though. There's a whole explanation dedicated to it, (it even goes on about the whole flag aesthetic which wasn't in SSS or PiT) where Paper Mario took like 2 sentences to explain the concept. And the beginning part of the game is really slow. I don't believe RPGs in general actually talk about exp and leveling up.

This tutorial thing isn't just exclusive to Nintendo games, but they're really bad about it. A shame, since the game's kind of good otherwise.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 11, 2013

• Locked thread