Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Jog around the football pitch dribbling the ball for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think if you find a lower league team with a practice squad, that'd be way better than just doing anything by yourself or with one guy price gouging you. It's difficult to find a club like that, though, because most of them don't like putting even their reserves against a bunch of cloggers that could injure someone. Stanway used to have one before they changed managers.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Sprint up a football pitch on a hill kicking a ball until you throw up and dribble against a wall for hours.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Esposito posted:

Sprint up a football pitch on a hill kicking a ball until you throw up and dribble against a wall for hours.

Pretty much this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Practice bicycle kicks on a trampoline until you throw up/your knees give out.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

It's taken me a year and a half, but I can finally say I know what it feels like to nutmeg someone and seemlessly accelerate past them down the wing, then deliver a perfect cross into the box.

Too bad nobody was there to receive it. Felt good to torch someone like that, though.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Practice bicycle kicks on a trampoline until you throw up/your knees give out.

Lol

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Just practice yelling at people while you point down to your feet. Blame everyone for bad passes and really work on that petulant "thanks for the poo poo pass, everybody else" face, all the greats had one.

But really do all the things people have mentioned and just stick yourself in some pick up games. Even if you have great touch and skill if you don't understand how to put yourself into space to receive the ball, or if you're a defender how to cut down that space and tackle people, you're not going to be any good in an actual game.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Sprint up to a shop on a hill and ask for Nike Mercurial Victory boots until you throw up and buy them and thank me for hours.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Sprint to your nearest Sports Direct for the best prices on Mercurial Vapors but do it now to avoid disappointment. Also make sure you vomit at some point, maybe against a wall for a few hours.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My vapors are in the mail. I can't wait to vomit. SG type though because Germany vomits a lot on their pitches.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Soulex posted:

My vapors are in the mail. I can't wait to vomit. SG type though because Germany vomits a lot on their pitches.

You have just joined the very elite of this forum.

Now all you have to do is practise rainbow flicks on a trampoline against a wall until you vomit up a hill.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Hey gang I finally posted that WAYWT kit thread, thanks for your patience, can't wait to see who has the slickest cleats.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553455

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wow that got gassed fast.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Reply faster next time!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'm playing on or at something called a powerleague pitch in London City this weekend, anyone know what the surface will be like?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
3G fake grass. Just like real thing.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Boots or Sambas?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Astros. Which one you playing at Craig? Old Street?

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

FG boots with the plastic studs are good for 3G turf.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
It's off anyway because those retards couldn't bring themselves to book a court.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I played a few casual games like that, where they turn up and don't book a court so sneak in and play in pitch black and honestly it makes my blood boil.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Gonna invent a glow in the dark ball for such occasions.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Playing in the PARK of all places on Saturday now. thanks footyaddicts.co.uk. but will i need studs or bubs

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Playing my first five-a-side since my knee injury in March. Feel pretty good, but wish me luck brothers.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Soulex posted:

Gonna invent a glow in the dark ball for such occasions.

Just play kero-soccer like back in our old Scout days. Make a tight ball of rags, soak it in kerosene for a couple of days and then light it up and play soccer with it.

Just don't play with a goalie. Or anywhere where they might care if you set things on fire.

Also, um, for legal reasons this is a joke and don't do it (but if you decide to do so take photos because it's awesome).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

iajanus posted:

Just play kero-soccer like back in our old Scout days. Make a tight ball of rags, soak it in kerosene for a couple of days and then light it up and play soccer with it.

Just don't play with a goalie. Or anywhere where they might care if you set things on fire.

Also, um, for legal reasons this is a joke and don't do it (but if you decide to do so take photos because it's awesome).

I'm not in a unit dumb (or awesome) enough to do this.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A few friends of mine ask me to play in goal for their team when their keeper isnt available. I get asked quite a lot so I always make the joke their keeper is some kind of sicknote, apparently back injuries that just wont go away.

I turned up tonight and they said they need me to be their keeper now as their normal guy said this isn't worth a serious back injury.

On the one hand great, an extra game every week, on the other hand, I was playing loads anyway and as a stand in I was excused from paying haha.

oh well more football for me :D

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
UK Goons - where did you get your custom football jersey's made (for cheap preferably)?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I've been playing soccer since January and I feel my indoor game is way worse than my outdoor game. I just can't get used to the pacing. I think practicing against a wall will help me there and get me a better first touch.

One of my problems is protecting the ball and with how limited the spacing can be in indoor, I get punished easily. Any tips for that?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Elbows and rear end.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Lots and lots of stepovers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Geno posted:

I've been playing soccer since January and I feel my indoor game is way worse than my outdoor game. I just can't get used to the pacing. I think practicing against a wall will help me there and get me a better first touch.

One of my problems is protecting the ball and with how limited the spacing can be in indoor, I get punished easily. Any tips for that?

Indoor you really have to play one touch and never try and dribble ever

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Geno posted:

O -- Y -- B

Key:
O - opponent
Y - you
B - ball

As a result, your rear end, or at least your side, will be facing up the pitch most of the times you have the ball. As they've already said, forget dribbling forward unless you're in a massive indoor arena. Practice your one-touch passes and the pass-and-run.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

League started here and I missed my first few games due to being in Italy and Albania. I do have a pair of CTR360 Maestri's waiting for me though. Huge step up from the Adidas Preditos I was wearing before. The loving lethal zones was just paint!

Also Vapors are loving awesome.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Actually you're loving awesome.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

About a month or so ago I got stepped on in a game, a single stud to the base of the nail on my big toe. Now that the nail's grown out a bit, this has appeared:

It's almost the German flag, which would be fitting given my heritage, but the stripes are out of order. It's also almost the Belgian flag, just turned on it's side and stretched. But a bit of googling shows that it's actually the Idi Amin-era flag of the Ugandan People's Congress.

Now, if it had been vaguely person-shaped then I could've claimed it was the Virgin Mary and charged people to see it/touch it/pray to it/whatever. But this, this is worthless. And a bit disconcerting.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Yeah I've had a few of those, it's a bit gay but managed well, it won't stop you playing footy.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

No, I can't even feel it, and I didn't really notice it until the bruise started to appear.

Got worse problems now, though. Had our first scrimmage for the season and the other team was short, so one of our center backs switched over, a giant Cameroonian. I got the ball at the top of the 18, squared it up for a straight-on shot, and he came and planted that size 14 right in front of the ball about half a second before I hit it, full force. Needless to say, being nearly a foot shorter and probably 50 lbs lighter I went down straight over, but not before my foot got bent back what felt like 180 degrees. Maybe I'm being a whiny bitch (I am), but gently caress, blocking a shot like that is what you do when you want to take someone out. You don't do it to your own teammate, Jesus.

Got it on ice now, hurts like a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Woot! Last game of the regular season and I got my second goal of the year (and 4th in 3 years with this team :getin:)! Chipped the goalie from outside the box near the sideline and it went in the top right corner :D. Sadly the ball later viciously attacked my knee and now I have some pretty bruising to remember the game. Still, considerably better than every other goal I've ever scored (of which there are so many...).