Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

TheJoker138 posted:

I was in high school during the height of Spears popularity as well and literally cannot recall anyone ever commenting on her looks in any negative way. Even people who hated her thought she was super hot.

You're right, I'm making it up and no one ever said anything negative about the way Britney Spears or Christina Aguillera or Madonna or anyone else during their most popular years just because people are negative about everyone.

You could add Angelina Jolie, and Julia Roberts too! No one ever said terrible things about them just to be a contrary rear end in a top hat. Oh wait, no, they did all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
So after Katy Perry's ROAR leak, it appears Applause is next...

Edit: removed snippet since it died.

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2013

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So, about 10-15 second snippets were leaked from 2 songs. One is Applause, and the other one people are not sure of. I know you can't judge a song just from a few seconds, but from what I heard of Applause it sounds bad, sadly. The same goes to the other snippet.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TheJoker138 posted:

Pop stars in general are make up slathered and "perfect" any time they are seen in any shots that are not released by the paparazzi while they're out buying groceries or whatever. In that context that photo does not look like a picture of a pop icon.
Yes, pictures of people without makeup on often look different from their image when performing. This is true of basically every performer. I was responding to this statement:

"I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star"

which is a really silly thing to say. I would venture to say that you interact with many many people on an everyday basis who look far less like a pop star for their age than Lady Gaga out of makeup.

It's silly that this has drawn out so much but I don't get why every single aspect of a performer has to be unique or special to people. Like, okay, she's got a big nose, but clearly a lot of people find her attractive, in or out of makeup. This obsession with making your favorite artist not just put-upon but the MOST put-upon is really dumb.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Stalins Moustache posted:

So, about 10-15 second snippets were leaked from 2 songs. One is Applause, and the other one people are not sure of. I know you can't judge a song just from a few seconds, but from what I heard of Applause it sounds bad, sadly. The same goes to the other snippet.

The snippet of Applause sounds pretty good to me. It's only 15 seconds but it's very promising. Also vaguely amusing is her little meltdown on twitter about this mini-leak.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Also vaguely amusing is her little meltdown on twitter about this mini-leak.

I think she asked DJWS to leak the snippet and fake their meltdowns on twitter. I mean, she is good at marketing herself and has a strong marketing team, and if the leaker has the full song, why not just leak the whole thing.

I found it more amusing that people were retweeting the soundcloud links on Twitter and asking them to be removed.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So first review of the song is up! http://martiantv.com/?p=3402

the review posted:

It’s hard to follow up a power anthem like Katy Perry’s new single “Roar.” Luckily, Lady Gaga has some wickedly theatrical vocals and a dream production team behind her.

“Applause” is not quite the followup you’d expect after the massive success of her previous first singles, “Bad Romance” and “Born This Way.” This song is actually rather mute in comparison. Still, this song says a lot about what could be coming from ARTPOP. This song is far more experimental, lyrically and instrumentally, than anything else on the radio. It almost sounds like a song you’d hear from Roisin Murphy or Kelis, but would never gain the popularity it deserves. Of course, since it’s Gaga that won’t be a problem.

Back to Gaga’s theatrical vocals, the verses are rather beautiful. Instead of typical polished pop princess vocals, Gaga kicks up the dramatics and delivers in a way you’d expect an actor to during a musical. At first it was kind of unnerving, but the way her voice wobbles as she sings “I stand here waiting for you to bang the gong,” grew to be one of my favorite parts of the song. She mimics this during the second verse also. Of course, the dramatic wobble effect isn’t nearly as much fun as Gaga shouting, “Put your hands up, make em touch! Make it real now!” or “Give me that thing that I love, turn the lights on!”

Musically, the song actually has a rather retro feel. If I could relate it to anything, it’d be an old school Nintendo or Sega Genesis game, but sprinkled with today’s production tricks. The clubs will eat this song alive. The way the beat robotically thuds under her vocals the earworm that will get this song stuck in your brain.

Radio? That’s a tricky one. Radio will either embrace is, or drop it as soon as the radio deal fizzles like Madonna’s “Give Me All Your Lovin.”

Uhhhh. A song with retro feel? This is gonna be interesting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The implication that it's somewhat chip-tune inspired is incredibly :psyduck: inducing.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Applause's release date has been moved to today! It has already aired on the radio in some places, not sure if it can be purchased yet.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://www.kiss108.com/iplaylist/artist/1055684/?desktop=true&desktopviewduration=86400

enjoy.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The irony is that they reportedly moved the release date because low quality leaks were floating around, and now we have a link to an official but still low quality radio rip floating around.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
http://news.iheart.com/player/?mid=23570412

I like it, better than Roar.

Edit: I laughed at this review... http://www.spin.com/articles/lady-gaga-applause-artpop-stream/

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 12, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The leaked snippet did absolutely nothing for me, I wasn't expecting to like the song at all but HOLY HELL is the real thing actually really catchy and amazing.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

HookShot posted:

The leaked snippet did absolutely nothing for me, I wasn't expecting to like the song at all but HOLY HELL is the real thing actually really catchy and amazing.

This is how I feel as well. Now we just need it to get onto iTunes...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Applause is great. I wasn't too keen on Born This Way, but this is really good.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

When she says "put your hands up make em touch" - the delivery is insane. My favorite part of the song by far.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I'll admit I wasn't expecting much, it'd be hard to top Bad Romance and I suspect she never will. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by Applause. It's leaps and bounds better than Roar which sounds like something Selena Gomez should sing. I never got largely into the Born This Way album and hearing her sort of go back to a real dancey vibe is pretty awesome.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's up on iTunes now, and I bought it because it's definitely trending back toward what made Fame Monster so drat good. I'm hyped for this album way more now.

Also, I listened to that new Katy Perry song, it's really annoying, and I barely got halfway through it. It just sounded so cheesy and 80's awful empowerment ballad mixed with the sound of a song that would have been popular around the time Hey, Soul Sister came out.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

According to iTunes there will be both a clean and explicit version of the new album, unlike Born This Way. I'm glad to hear that; I'm pretty on-board with almost anything Gaga does but trying to be taken seriously as an artist and then letting other people censor her work so her CDs can be sold in Walmart would make even me shake my head.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Link for zee lazy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/artpop/id687591810

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Lord Krangdar posted:

According to iTunes there will be both a clean and explicit version of the new album, unlike Born This Way. I'm glad to hear that; I'm pretty on-board with almost anything Gaga does but trying to be taken seriously as an artist and then letting other people censor her work so her CDs can be sold in Walmart would make even me shake my head.
At least they're doing it right this time around, unlike Fame Monster(which had the explicits released months after the fact) and Born This Way(which never got an explicit version). I'm kind of baffled that you'd do it any other way these days, since services like iTunes and Amazon make it easy to pick which version you want.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

At least they're doing it right this time around, unlike Fame Monster(which had the explicits released months after the fact) and Born This Way(which never got an explicit version). I'm kind of baffled that you'd do it any other way these days, since services like iTunes and Amazon make it easy to pick which version you want.

I read somewhere that the issue with Born This Way was Gaga and her producers censored it themselves before the final mastering was done, so there never was a mastered explicit version. Not sure if that's true.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Applause has a drat catchy chorus but the rest of the lyrics are a hot mess. I was hoping ARTPOP would recall the greatness of The Fame Monster, not distance itself even further from it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Applause has a drat catchy chorus but the rest of the lyrics are a hot mess. I was hoping ARTPOP would recall the greatness of The Fame Monster, not distance itself even further from it.

Yup, the greatness of Fame Monster lyrics like using Hitchcock titles to reference anal sex.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The implication that it's somewhat chip-tune inspired is incredibly :psyduck: inducing.

As soon as I saw that, I knew how old he was. (Which was unsurprisingly confirmed with the site's bios.) Kids! Lawn! Off! :argh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

As soon as I saw that, I knew how old he was. (Which was unsurprisingly confirmed with the site's bios.) Kids! Lawn! Off! :argh:

I'm 26, I had a Genesis even. I don't know what else you'd call "inspired by Genesis/SNES music" like that article says other than "chiptune."

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Normally, songs about how much singers/bands like their fans don't really do it for me, but this one is fun. And her voice in the verses is really awesome.

I'll agree that it's not the strongest Gaga song ever, but that doesn't worry me. I actually thought that "Born This Way" was the weakest song on its album. I have pretty high hopes for ARTPOP at this rate.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TheJoker138 posted:

Yup, the greatness of Fame Monster lyrics like using Hitchcock titles to reference anal sex.

Or the fact that the songs in general were just better.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
I'm really liking Applause. So catchy.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

ARTPOP (the album) is #2 on the itunes chart already :aaa: It comes out in 2 months. :aaa:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Or the fact that the songs in general were just better.

We've heard one super early leaked demo and one single from this album, hardly enough to judge it or compare it to Fame Monster. Also both of the songs have been super loving rad.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
The Greatest Thing, the song that was supposed to be released by Cher with Lady Gaga vocals like a year or two ago, leaked...

https://soundcloud.com/lactoseintolerant-1/gg-c-the-greatest

Cher's response:

Cher ‏@cher 19m
Just heard TGT ! gently caress ! IT’S NOT EVEN THE RIGHT loving VERSION!!! WHY DO PPL THINK THIS KINDA LEAKING poo poo IS OK !
I’m so Fg DISSAPOINTED

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TheJoker138 posted:

We've heard one super early leaked demo and one single from this album, hardly enough to judge it or compare it to Fame Monster. Also both of the songs have been super loving rad.

I like Applause, but it's a pretty generic club banger. The Bowie-esque vocal impression is awkward.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fuseshock posted:

The Greatest Thing, the song that was supposed to be released by Cher with Lady Gaga vocals like a year or two ago, leaked...

https://soundcloud.com/lactoseintolerant-1/gg-c-the-greatest

Cher's response:

Cher ‏@cher 19m
Just heard TGT ! gently caress ! IT’S NOT EVEN THE RIGHT loving VERSION!!! WHY DO PPL THINK THIS KINDA LEAKING poo poo IS OK !
I’m so Fg DISSAPOINTED

Good to see Cher still types like a bot.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

There is a GIANT fight between Katy and Gaga stans to get that #1. It's.....intense. haha.

I think Katy will get it, but I dont find Roar to be that great of a song. The general public will decide though!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

somnambulist posted:

There is a GIANT fight between Katy and Gaga stans to get that #1. It's.....intense. haha.

I think Katy will get it, but I dont find Roar to be that great of a song. The general public will decide though!

Through sheer numbers, Katy will get it. Her music is terrible but she had like, what, SIX #1 singles from just one album? It's goddamn easy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So I guess plans for ARTPOP being a double album have been canned. I'm guessing the record label balked at the experimental half.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
then it should be either ART or POP, likely the second one.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Applause has a drat catchy chorus but the rest of the lyrics are a hot mess. I was hoping ARTPOP would recall the greatness of The Fame Monster, not distance itself even further from it

Let's be honest here, anyone would be hard pressed to follow up The Fame Monster. We've watched countless artists turn out albums that good and then turn out nothing but drek after that, many are emotionally and artistically spent after something as personal as that.

edit:Quoted the wrong person

Pomp fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

edit: it doesnt loop, so just open in a new tab or something if you dont see it moving :-p

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 14, 2013

• Locked thread