Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

necrobobsledder posted:

Was North America Intel's largest market for them by that far though? I thought part of the reason for the really terse, robotic names common among corporations had to do with international acceptance (some Chinese readers having trouble with certain letters / sound combinations, for example)?

http://www.c-i-a.com/worldwideuseexec.htm

Yeah. This report shows that the US represented about half the annual sales of PCs in 1995. Even among international sales, I'd be surprised if China represented a whole lot of that in 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I admit to not watching the laptop market but when did it become near impossible to configure your laptop.

I would love a 13-14" Haswell i5+ with 16GB of ram and an SSD. Why is that so much to ask?

In a perfect world, I'd want the above in a package delivered by Apple but I figure that Dell/HP/Toshiba/Lenovo should be able to check those boxes pretty easily. But Nope. Is this some sort of staggered roll out bullshit? What gives?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Speak of the robot devil.

They're an Ubuntu shop but I haven't found less lovely laptops anywhere even on paper.

They have a more reasonably priced laptop in that form factor, with the rest of your options available, but it's get what you pay for territory.

If you're wondering why it takes a Linux shop to deliver something like this, it's that no one really cares about laptops anymore beyond enterprise, enthusiasts, and Apple fans, and their Venn diagram isn't too far off of three separate circles.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 18, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Speak of the robot devil.

They're an Ubuntu shop but I haven't found less lovely laptops anywhere even on paper.
Those are just generic Clevo craptops though? The Galago Ultrapro does look cool but it's basically just a spec wishlist and doesn't actually exist. It looks like almost Bitcoin levels of "your laptops are totally in assembly right now, though the CPUs are still Apple exclusive so that's causing us some supply constraints. In that we haven't got any and Intel can't tell us when they'll be ready to sell us some."

The Laptop Megathread would be the best place for laptop purchasing discussion.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Fair enough, I'll bring it over there. It just looks to be Haswell related. I figured it might be some tomfoolery with contracts related to vendors not allowed to provide haswell in non-standard configurations as computers seem to be headed back to the appliance days rather than the customized tools they once were.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Holy crap, 1080p matte IPS panel, GT3 gpu. I mean a little bigger than I'm looking for, but that thing looks freakin' awesome. I mean, it would look awesome if they ever actually managed to build it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Glad to see a laptop with Iris 5200, but.. a clickpad? Really? Give me buttons any day. If you're even trying to do casual gaming without a mouse, a clickpad is hopeless..

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Who plays games without a mouse? The real problem with it, and I suspect with 5200 in general, is the size. It's pushing 4 pounds, which is getting to mid range mobile discrete GPU territory. I think 5100 is the much more interesting part as a result, because it should be possible to get that into a 3 pound package.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KennyG posted:

Fair enough, but I would point out that few people compare a mac book air to OMGWTFBBQFPS gaming rig.

In comparing within a product segment, it generally works or at least can be helpful to know that an i7 in an ultra-portable is going to be better than an i5 in an ultra-portable.

Yes an i7-4600M is likely going to get crushed by a i5-4570S but the fact that one is a desktop chip and one is a laptop chip should have already made that very apparent.

As mobile is almost never DIY, you can easily compare like products from toshiba, sony, dell, hp etc with i3-4100M, i5-4200M, i5-3750M and i5-4570T and know which one is the fastest and who is trying to hide last gen tech in there. It's a lot easier to look at 1xxx 2xxx 3xxx 4xxx and figure out which architecture I want vs having to remember that Conroe came before Westmere but after Prescot (:effort:)

Now explain Xeon naming to me. Why the gently caress is an E5-2470 so much better than an E5-2630?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

market generation line?
2 4 7
2 6 3

The line of the first one is much improved over the second even if it's an earlier generation.
That's my guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SRQ posted:

market generation line?
2 4 7
2 6 3

The line of the first one is much improved over the second even if it's an earlier generation.
That's my guess.

The 2630 launched Q1'12, while the 2470 launched Q2'12.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59138

The 4603 is worse than either of the other two.

:psyduck:

Edit: The low end E7's are worse than the high end E5's. I give up.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 1, 2013

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KillHour posted:

The 2630 launched Q1'12, while the 2470 launched Q2'12.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59138

The 4603 is worse than either of the other two.

:psyduck:

Edit: The low end E7's are worse than the high end E5's. I give up.

'worse'?

You can't put more than two 2470s in a single server, but you can put four 4603s, with a total of 16 memory channels, or eight (or more) E7-8850s.

Model numbers are about model lines, with differentiation based on features rather than clock speed. The first number reflects the maximum number of processors in a system. The 1 series usually has higher clock speeds and fewer cores, and looks pretty similar to consumer i7s. As you add sockets in a system, you see more cores (at lower clock rates), enterprise reliability features, more inter-processor bandwidth, more PCIe lanes.

The second number indicates socket type. The 2400 has three memory channels per processor, the 2600 has four. The 2400 was designed to allow OEMs to use existing Westmere/Nehalem motherboard designs. As such, they're slightly cheaper than the 2600 series.

The third and fourth numbers are for clock speed and cores. Generally, the higher the number the higher the overall performance (cores*clock.) There are some rules about what the fourth digit means (0,2,5,7, etc.); if you really care Wikipedia has that information. In addition, you can have a letter after the numbers to indicate a low or high power version.

Are you confused when a BMW 135i is faster than a 528i? :iiaca:

The only real inference you can make when comparing between families is that the larger number is more expensive.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

PCjr sidecar posted:

'worse'?

You can't put more than two 2470s in a single server, but you can put four 4603s, with a total of 16 memory channels, or eight (or more) E7-8850s.

Model numbers are about model lines, with differentiation based on features rather than clock speed. The first number reflects the maximum number of processors in a system. The 1 series usually has higher clock speeds and fewer cores, and looks pretty similar to consumer i7s. As you add sockets in a system, you see more cores (at lower clock rates), enterprise reliability features, more inter-processor bandwidth, more PCIe lanes.

The second number indicates socket type. The 2400 has three memory channels per processor, the 2600 has four. The 2400 was designed to allow OEMs to use existing Westmere/Nehalem motherboard designs. As such, they're slightly cheaper than the 2600 series.

The third and fourth numbers are for clock speed and cores. Generally, the higher the number the higher the overall performance (cores*clock.) There are some rules about what the fourth digit means (0,2,5,7, etc.); if you really care Wikipedia has that information. In addition, you can have a letter after the numbers to indicate a low or high power version.

Are you confused when a BMW 135i is faster than a 528i? :iiaca:

The only real inference you can make when comparing between families is that the larger number is more expensive.

:golfclap: :worship:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The Core i3-4130 (3.4 GHz 54W, $130) and -4130T (2.9 GHz 35W, $140) were quietly released today, both with HD4400 graphics, as were a pair of Haswell Pentiums - a 2.9 GHz model for $100 and a 2.6 GHz model for $70, both 54W. I don't see any reviews up yet, though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Factory Factory posted:

The Core i3-4130 (3.4 GHz 54W, $130) and -4130T (2.9 GHz 35W, $140) were quietly released today, both with HD4400 graphics, as were a pair of Haswell Pentiums - a 2.9 GHz model for $100 and a 2.6 GHz model for $70, both 54W. I don't see any reviews up yet, though.

As was the 4771, a locked 4770K with all the virtualization and TSX goodies.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Is there any word on when or if a budget chipset solution is being released for the 1150 platform?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Woodsy Owl posted:

Is there any word on when or if a budget chipset solution is being released for the 1150 platform?
The H81 chipset is already available, there are <$60 boards based on it on Newegg.

SirBoobsALot
Aug 18, 2005
Mittens.

Factory Factory posted:

Perfect timing, I was just going to ask how these things are usually released. I was waiting on the cheaper Haswells for an HTPC I was working on. Do the manufacturers usually release a lot of lower tier parts to go with the new chips now that they are public, or is that more for new chipsets and what is out now is basically it for Haswell?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SirBoobsALot posted:

Perfect timing, I was just going to ask how these things are usually released. I was waiting on the cheaper Haswells for an HTPC I was working on. Do the manufacturers usually release a lot of lower tier parts to go with the new chips now that they are public, or is that more for new chipsets and what is out now is basically it for Haswell?

I'm pretty sure that B85 and H81 are the low-end SKUs, with the difference between them being that H81 is B85 minus two PCH PCIe lanes, minus two USB 3.0 ports, and swapping two SATA 3 ports for SATA 2 (six total, four 3 Gbps on H81, four 6 Gbps on B85). H81 boards are already into the $55 range.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Intel has released multi-core floating point benchmarks for their Baytrail tablet SoC:

This processor has a 2.0W SDP, though that is not really comparable to TDP numbers (which are an Intel secret). Note that it is as fast clock-for-clock as the AMD Kabini (Jaguar), while probably using 1/4 to 1/3 the power.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 4, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Man, AMD is hosed if they can't even keep their very low budget processors competitive with Intel's offering. I'm guessing the Atoms will be replacing Intel's Celeron line?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yes, Celeron and even some Pentium processors will be based on Silvermont cores, with the Atom brand reserved for very low power applications.

Also, in that same article I saw that power usage numbers for the Z3770 were previously announced, the SDP is 2.0W. No TDP is available, but it's probably in the ~<5W range.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There any indication of when Silvermont tablets might show up?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Alereon posted:

Yes, Celeron and even some Pentium processors will be based on Silvermont cores, with the Atom brand reserved for very low power applications.
...I really want to find a way to specify PCI Slots: 0 in Newegg.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 5, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Factory Factory posted:

as were a pair of Haswell Pentiums - a 2.9 GHz model for $100 and a 2.6 GHz model for $70, both 54W. I don't see any reviews up yet, though.

The $100 Haswell Pentium is 3.3GHz and the $70 is 3.0GHz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...h=1&srchInDesc=

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 5, 2013

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

evilweasel posted:

There any indication of when Silvermont tablets might show up?

Toshiba just announced one. I'd imagine you'll start hearing about more of them as IDF is next week.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/toshibas-first-windows-tablet-announced-ifa/55075.html#ixzz2e1lfPP5O

quote:

Toshiba unveiled its first Windows based tablet called the Encore at the IFA today. The 8-inch tablet will be available from November and will cost $330.
Toshiba Encore 2 Toshibas first Windows Tablet announced at IFA

The Encore is an 8-inch tablet that runs Windows 8.1. Toshiba has announced that it has worked closely with Microsoft to ensure that the tablet is optimised for Windows 8.1, which is set to launch in October. The tablet also features dual-microphones and is certified for Skype.

This is Toshiba’s first tablet in the Windows ecosystem. The Encore features an 8-inch screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800, and is powered by Intel’s new quad-core Bay Trail processor. In a benchmark that was released yesterday, it was revealed that the Bay Trail Z3770 processor scored three times what the current-gen Clover Trail Z2760 scored.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Something something ["subatomic" joke]

Tech Report posted:

IDF — Intel CEO Brian Krzanich dropped a surprise announcement on the attendees of his opening keynote at the Intel Developer Forum today: a new family of processors from Intel, known as Quark. Quark SoCs are intended to be integrated into very small computing devices and the "Internet of things," including wearable devices and possibly smart watches.

Krzanich said Quark SoCs will be very low power and will fit into tiny form factors—about one-fifth the size of an Atom SoC with about one-tenth the power consumption.

What's more, Krzanich added that the Quark family will be "fully synthesizable" with an "open architecture" and "open ecosystem." We don't have too many details about how the the business alliances around Quark will work, but Krzanich indicated that, if companies want to put their own IP into a Quark SoC, "we can support that." He did say Intel plans to keep Quark production in-house for now, rather than allowing production of Quark-based chips at outside foundries.

Quark development is apparently well down the path inside of Intel. Reference designs based on the first SoCs are already "ready to go," and the first product has a name: Quark X1000. We'll be watching for more details on Quark as IDF continues.

Edit: A little more info at Anandtech

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 10, 2013

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Something something ["subatomic" joke]

On the quantum clock, a tick is indistinguishable from a tock.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Ivy Bridge Xeon E5s and server-targeted Atoms are officially announced/available today.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is there anything besides the eetimes report saying Quark is x86 compatible? They're the only ones saying it, based on a "brief encounter after" the keynote.

its killing me i don't know what's inside this thing

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
AnandTech's snap judgment was that it's not x86, because Intel referred to it as an open architecture. Not only is x86 not that, but Intel's never described it that way, which suggests against it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

AnandTech's snap judgment was that it's not x86, because Intel referred to it as an open architecture. Not only is x86 not that, but Intel's never described it that way, which suggests against it.
My under-informed theory is that it's the subset of x86 that predates the P5 architecture, which is not patent-encumbered and is thus truly "open." I think as long as you don't need >4GB of RAM or SIMD this should be enough.

Edit: Actually, since that EETimes article says there's already a supported software stack from outside vendors there is no chance it is not x86.

Bonus Edit: Oh, and the EETimes article even says that first bit at the top of page 2, I read good :shobon:

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 11, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Alereon posted:

My under-informed theory is that it's the subset of x86 that predates the P5 architecture, which is not patent-encumbered and is thus truly "open." I think as long as you don't need >4GB of RAM or SIMD this should be enough.

Edit: Actually, since that EETimes article says there's already a supported software stack from outside vendors there is no chance it is not x86.

Bonus Edit: Oh, and the EETimes even says that first bit at the top of page 2 :shobon:

Oh man, a 486 based smart watch.
486 toaster.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

SRQ posted:

Oh man, a 486 based smart watch.
486 toaster.

If you get the 486SX version it's not as good at bagels.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Naffer posted:

If you get the 486SX version it's not as good at bagels.

You can buy a second toaster that will sit next to your previously-purchased toaster and toast bagels (and, when installed, disables the original toaster.)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech has more benchmarks of the Intel Atom Z3770, including results under Android. Aside from some issues with thread scheduling its a solid 3X as fast as the previous generation, and the Intel HD Graphics is almost as fast as the Radeon integrated into AMD's low-power APUs. It's incredibly frustrating that AMD had over two years with no competition from Intel in the low-power space and did absolutely gently caress-all with it, and the first product Intel actually tried with knocked it so far out of the park that AMD will never be able to catch up.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Apple is trying to get iOS apps to be 64 bit now, could this be related to Intel having better low power offerings?
I don't see how but my brain finds patterns in dumb things, would this be competitive with the A7?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has more benchmarks of the Intel Atom Z3770, including results under Android. Aside from some issues with thread scheduling its a solid 3X as fast as the previous generation, and the Intel HD Graphics is almost as fast as the Radeon integrated into AMD's low-power APUs. It's incredibly frustrating that AMD had over two years with no competition from Intel in the low-power space and did absolutely gently caress-all with it, and the first product Intel actually tried with knocked it so far out of the park that AMD will never be able to catch up.

I'm honestly kind of amazed that AMD is still going at this point. They've been outmaneuvered so many times now that it's just sad. At least they have the consoles for the next few years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SRQ posted:

Apple is trying to get iOS apps to be 64 bit now, could this be related to Intel having better low power offerings?
I don't see how but my brain finds patterns in dumb things, would this be competitive with the A7?
I believe Intel's mobile chips are 32 bit, and besides, it's unlikely Apple will switch away from custom silicon. Remember, an iPhone 5 gives you a full day of usage with less than half the capacity of a AA battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe Intel's mobile chips are 32 bit, and besides, it's unlikely Apple will switch away from custom silicon. Remember, an iPhone 5 gives you a full day of usage with less than half the capacity of a AA battery.

An alkaline AA battery holds 8100 joules. The iPhone 5 battery holds 19,260 joules (the 4s and 4 were 19,000 joules).