Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, nice meeting the DK at Charticon, I wish I could have hung out some more after the dealer room closed, but by 10pm Saturday I was loving dead and passed the gently caress out in my room.
Likewise! I probably would have just offended you with my drunken ramblings anyhow so maybe it's for the best. Charticon was cool (also my first con) and afterwards abrosheen and I immediately decided we are definitely going to TFcon next year.

I got a bunch of cool stuff:

(not pictured: Tomahawk and Sunstreaker)

Apex/Geminus are a lot of fun. I love the AM Megatron, the paint is awesome and the micron sword thing is beastly. I don't really like stickers so I'm hesitant to put those on for fear of loving it up beyond repair. Also I am in search of a good arm-cannon for Megatron so if anyone has any suggestions, please suggest them!

Hanging out with voice actors is... interesting. I'm not really sure what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm sure a dozen Shapeways projects for replacement Soundwave hands/fingers are already underway. It's a lame-rear end design oversight to be sure. I'm just keeping paranoid for now.

Is it similar to MP-10 OP's? I've almost lost his pointing digit a few times. It just pops right out when he wants the shuttles readied for launch.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can't do that exact one as I'm at work, but it's Generations Metroplex holding up Cybertron Metroplex set to the Lion King music.

I was able to see the video today, awesome! :thumbsup:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheDK posted:

Likewise! I probably would have just offended you with my drunken ramblings anyhow so maybe it's for the best. Charticon was cool (also my first con) and afterwards abrosheen and I immediately decided we are definitely going to TFcon next year.

I got a bunch of cool stuff:

(not pictured: Tomahawk and Sunstreaker)

Apex/Geminus are a lot of fun. I love the AM Megatron, the paint is awesome and the micron sword thing is beastly. I don't really like stickers so I'm hesitant to put those on for fear of loving it up beyond repair. Also I am in search of a good arm-cannon for Megatron so if anyone has any suggestions, please suggest them!

Hanging out with voice actors is... interesting. I'm not really sure what I expected.

Eh, I'm pretty hard to offend, unless you start talking politics, and the majority of people on SA agree with me on politics. (I guess I'm part of the hivemind or something like that?) That's a pretty good haul and I should have taken pictures of mine, but most of my stuff is put away on shelves already.

But yeah, TFCon is a blast, and its growing and growing due to the huge amount of positive feedback and word of mouth. (People are kind of making an exodus from BotCon to TFCon these days for obvious reasons.)

Charticon is definitely smaller and lower key, but it did good for a first year, smaller con. I didn't get to see much outside the dealer room, and most of the time outside of it was spent with people I already knew from my state \ Seibertron podcast guys, as that's basically the same group as ScottyP and Counterpunch live in NC.

Charticon is basically relaxed hanging out with a small group of guys, TFCon is full on drunken debauchery and insanity and often public nudity that also has robots, BotCon is waiting in line, getting swindled and then violently hate raped by Brian Savage.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, while Generations Scourge is a good toy, I never quite understood why everybody was so in love with him. Not bad, but he never blew me away. Well, I got his repaint and I'm officially in love now:

I think you just sold me this toy (after almost buying it five or six times). The fan bat mode isn't perfect, but it scratches the itch I've had ever since seeing the Headrobots upgrade kit for ROTF Mindwipe (which, at this point, I'm assuming will never be released)

And thank you for the free arm-missing paint-shedding Rattrap!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

abrosheen posted:

the Headrobots upgrade kit for ROTF Mindwipe (which, at this point, I'm assuming will never be released)

Don't worry I think it's coming out around the same time as Fansproject Mindwipe

*makes a jerking off motion that ends with flinging semen off into the sky*

(3rd parties are the alcoholic dad of the fandom)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

abrosheen posted:

I think you just sold me this toy (after almost buying it five or six times). The fan bat mode isn't perfect, but it scratches the itch I've had ever since seeing the Headrobots upgrade kit for ROTF Mindwipe (which, at this point, I'm assuming will never be released)

And thank you for the free arm-missing paint-shedding Rattrap!

Thank you for taking him off me, I didn't want him. You don't even need to thank me, he's a Rattrap with no arm and with most his chrome gone, anything more than free is more than what he's worth.

That Ratbat is really extremely cool, he's got awesome paint apps and just looks gorgeous. Takara figures are so much better most of the time. While his bat mode is a fan mode, think of it this way - it's way more convincing that Straxus \ Darkmount's turret mode, and that one is supposed to be official! As far as I'm concerned, the dude is a triple changer. Him and Landcross are pretty much tied for the coolest things I got at the con, and I got some cool poo poo so that says a lot.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
240USD plus shipping for that MP-10 re-issue with the stand.
http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=Category&II=TFTRMP10RE&lang=us&CatID=41_334
So pricey but I never got the original release and I want that stand...

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thank you for taking him off me, I didn't want him. You don't even need to thank me, he's a Rattrap with no arm and with most his chrome gone, anything more than free is more than what he's worth

It's actually really disgusting, the chrome flakes off as you touch it. I still have it in the plastic bag to be thrown into the closet, for some future day when I want to learn how to paint/customize. Or to be thrown away the next time I move.

I wish we could buy that new MP Optimus stand by itself, for a not-insane price

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Other posted:

240USD plus shipping for that MP-10 re-issue with the stand.
http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=Category&II=TFTRMP10RE&lang=us&CatID=41_334
So pricey but I never got the original release and I want that stand...

BBTS had it up at $289.99 and its already gone.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thank you for taking him off me, I didn't want him. You don't even need to thank me, he's a Rattrap with no arm and with most his chrome gone, anything more than free is more than what he's worth.

That Ratbat is really extremely cool, he's got awesome paint apps and just looks gorgeous. Takara figures are so much better most of the time. While his bat mode is a fan mode, think of it this way - it's way more convincing that Straxus \ Darkmount's turret mode, and that one is supposed to be official! As far as I'm concerned, the dude is a triple changer. Him and Landcross are pretty much tied for the coolest things I got at the con, and I got some cool poo poo so that says a lot.
I will order that ratbat right now if someone can prove to me it has a halfway decent gerwalk mode.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

abrosheen posted:

It's actually really disgusting, the chrome flakes off as you touch it. I still have it in the plastic bag to be thrown into the closet, for some future day when I want to learn how to paint/customize. Or to be thrown away the next time I move.

I wish we could buy that new MP Optimus stand by itself, for a not-insane price

Transmetals have that problem, ESPECIALLY Rattrap. The one I have replacing it still has his chrome intact, but there's this... spiderweb crinkly pattern on it, and I dare not actually touch it or else it will probably flake off. What with crappy chrome and gold plastic syndrome, a lot of Beast Wars toys were not made to last.

Could be worse though, he could be this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjAUN5Ssj8

TheDK posted:

I will order that ratbat right now if someone can prove to me it has a halfway decent gerwalk mode.

If he does, I don't know about it, and it's probably impossible as the front \ nosecone of the plane becomes his legs.

However Ratbat and Scourge can totally pop their heads out the top of the vehicle like Scourge did for like 3 seconds in the '86 movie.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Anyone interested in (probably incomplete) Transmetals? I have a bunch I picked up at a garage sale several years ago and I just don't have the space to hang onto them.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Everybody except Keldroc take a look at this:

Who wants more Bruticus

Where did those guys even pop out from?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Blackheart posted:

Who wants more Bruticus

I don't know, but holy poo poo I need these. Why try to build around old figures when you can just remake the whole thing from scratch? :unsmigghh:

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
What no silhouettes or out of focus shots? It's like these guys don't even know how to 3rd party.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Peter Bazooka posted:

What no silhouettes or out of focus shots? It's like these guys don't even know how to 3rd party.

It's not like they're available for sale or anything, don't worry.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Sometimes i miss the days when all we had was the Hasbro stuff and we were satisfied with that.

I was having this conversation on Twitter with Gammatron the other day and I wanted to get some more opinions.

We currently have 3 Predakings in the pipe, 2 Brainstorms along with another Chromedome, 2 different Nova Primes, we have third party products that "fix" the Hasbro toys, third party products that "fix" other third party products and so many other things that I couldn't list them all in this post.

Now, we've already seen Impossible Toys close it's doors. And as much as people keep saying that Hasbro is going to "bring the hammer down", it seems more like there is just too much product out there, and eventually people are going to get tired and most of these companies are just going to wipe each other out.

Because as cool as this stuff is, not many people are rich enough and/or crazy enough to buy all this stuff.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Arsenal_12 posted:

Sometimes i miss the days when all we had was the Hasbro stuff and we were satisfied with that.

I was having this conversation on Twitter with Gammatron the other day and I wanted to get some more opinions.

We currently have 3 Predakings in the pipe, 2 Brainstorms along with another Chromedome, 2 different Nova Primes, we have third party products that "fix" the Hasbro toys, third party products that "fix" other third party products and so many other things that I couldn't list them all in this post.

Now, we've already seen Impossible Toys close it's doors. And as much as people keep saying that Hasbro is going to "bring the hammer down", it seems more like there is just too much product out there, and eventually people are going to get tired and most of these companies are just going to wipe each other out.

Because as cool as this stuff is, not many people are rich enough and/or crazy enough to buy all this stuff.

I heard this at TFCon too - There are groups that can put a toy together in their spare time like a hobby, but as soon as the business is started they run low on resources. People want wholesale/retail sales support, website support, future plans for new toys, etc. It all gets to be overwhelming for just a few people, there are complaints, insufficient sales or interest, and you burnout and quit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Arsenal_12 posted:

Eh, I'm just happy to be along for the ride.

As for the "bring the hammer down", it's not gonna happen. Like you said the whole thing will collapse on itself way before Hasbro or Takara even begin to care. I dunno why some people are so obsessed with it either because "those evil 3rd party thieves must be stopped!" or "Hasblow is jealous and losing money to our saviors, I fear they'll try to stop them!".

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Blackheart posted:

Who wants more Bruticus

Oh. My. Talk about making a statement in style. Not reinventing the wheel, just sticking out an awesomely imposing dead on bad mofo of a Bruticus.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Blackheart posted:

Who wants more Bruticus

All three modes look great, but also looks like it'll be friggin' gigantic and, thus, expensive.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

After the initial shock I've been looking at it again and I still love it, but I'm more cautious. Well, all of this is assuming they manage to sell the thing of course, but it just seems a bit big for my collection, and will probably be pretty expensive. Some are saying it really looks like a TFC work too, which would make me less interested.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arsenal_12 posted:

Yeah. If you take a niche market and absolutely flood it like they're doing now, your supply of product will far exceed the demand. All this redundancy is not helping - few people are going to buy multiple Devastators or Predakings - they will pick the one they prefer.

2014 is going to be all out war between 3rd party companies and I guarantee some of them are not going to survive. I think Fansproject and MMC are probably good as they have a lot of popularity and goodwill from the fandom, but iGear, Toy World, Unique Toys and other ones where popularity is mixed or bad are at risk. TFC could go either way - Hercules was a giant hit, but the fandom seems to apathetic towards Uranos, Photron was a total failure, and they're next set is a Predaking, and there's FOUR, count 'em, FOUR third party Predakings coming out. (Justitoys just announced the fourth.)

I also really like MakeToys and I hope they aren't going to be a casualty.

This thread and TFW seem to be really pumped for this new Bruticus, but my twitter feed is filled with apathy towards it as people are just burnt out on 3rd party combiners. I'm not going to lie, I see it and I go "meh" myself. It looks good and all but I'm not going to get it - I already have a Bruticus and I'm pretty committed to the smaller MT\FP scale.

And even though I said I would be done after getting the trio of Giant, Colossus and FP Menasor, that MT Computron and MMC Predaking are hella tempting. I really can't get that Predaking though - after everything is said and done, he's gonna be like $500, I don't earn that much money, and I like collecting more than just combiner parts, or Transformers, even.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 14, 2013

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Blackheart posted:

Who wants more Bruticus

Hell, I'd buy that on name alone. Warbotron :allears:

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Blackheart posted:

After the initial shock I've been looking at it again and I still love it, but I'm more cautious. Well, all of this is assuming they manage to sell the thing of course, but it just seems a bit big for my collection, and will probably be pretty expensive. Some are saying it really looks like a TFC work too, which would make me less interested.

Each one of those is probably going to cost 100 plus. I'm currently all in on the FP Not Stunticons because 60 dollars each and a bit more for the Not Motormaster is a sweet spot in terms of cost for me. Once you start hitting three digit prices per combiner part is when I step away.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Blackheart posted:

Who wants more Bruticus

Actually even as someone who isn't much of a Combaticon fan, that is probably the best-looking third party gestalt yet. They even got the faces on the individual bots right! Will definitely buy if the price isn't completely ludicrous (by third party standards).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arsenal_12 posted:

Each one of those is probably going to cost 100 plus. I'm currently all in on the FP Not Stunticons because 60 dollars each and a bit more for the Not Motormaster is a sweet spot in terms of cost for me. Once you start hitting three digit prices per combiner part is when I step away.

Same. I think MMC's Feral Rex looks AWESOME, but I just can't swing it. A lot of people in the fandom seem to have more money than God.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same. I think MMC's Feral Rex looks AWESOME, but I just can't swing it. A lot of people in the fandom seem to have more money than God.

Or just spend themselves into obscene debt. Didn't that happen with one of the Youtube reviewers spending some ridiculous amount of money on an early "off the truck" figure and then he ended up begging for rent money from his viewers shortly after?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Or just spend themselves into obscene debt. Didn't that happen with one of the Youtube reviewers spending some ridiculous amount of money on an early "off the truck" figure and then he ended up begging for rent money from his viewers shortly after?

Yes. Mr. "Creepy Whispery Guy" Sean Long bought a $200 Animated Blitzwing a week before it came out in stores, and that's not even the half of it.

Dude had no job, tried to make all his money off youtube reviews, almost wound up homeless... yeah. Not the best judgement. I think he was featured on a collector intervention show, too.

When I came close to buying a yellow Giant at TFCon, even though I had a green one, I told myself "You know what? No. I don't want to do a Sean Long. I gotta pay my college loans and eat."

So whenever you ask yourself "do I have enough money to buy this? That sure is expensive." think about Sean Long and it will stop you in your tracks every single time.

Also my one encounter with Sean Long was kind of traumatic and that's just yet another reason not to go to BotCon.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Blackheart posted:

Who wants more Bruticus

Is this Fransproject?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm sure a dozen Shapeways projects for replacement Soundwave hands/fingers are already underway. It's a lame-rear end design oversight to be sure. I'm just keeping paranoid for now.

How is having nearly the exact same hands as MP-10 an oversight?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

404GoonNotFound posted:

How is having nearly the exact same hands as MP-10 an oversight?

The oversight is that they didn't make the finger more secure. I like that the hands match, I just wish they'd improved on their solidity; instead, the fingertips are even MORE prone to popping off.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'd rather the temporary inconvenience of popping off than the plastic snapping entirely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'd rather the temporary inconvenience of popping off than the plastic snapping entirely.

Yeah, it's a trade-off, but if you lose the finger it's just as bad. It's such a small part in a dark color. I don't know what would be ideal, but Soundwave's index fingers in particular are really precarious.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Really, if the part's that small and your room doesn't resemble a junk yard you can probably just find it by sifting through a vacuum cleaner bag.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
So, I know i'm extremely late to the party but I just finally got to read The Last Stand of the Wreckers. I really enjoyed it!

Before this I think the last Transformers comics i've read were Dreamwave's Transformers/Gijoe and Micromasters. I didn't really care for those unfortunately.

Now i'm about to dive in to IDW's MTMTE so soon i'll be able to know what people are talking about!

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
So I saw this thread and after reading the OP I decided to try my first transformers comics in about 10 years by getting the first volume of MTMTE. Two days later I've read the first three volumes and Last Stand of the Wreckers. Now I remember why I think robots are so cool.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Went to Toys R Us and was told at the service counter that the MP Soundwaves arrived 2 weeks ago, sold out; and that they didn't get any more in today's truck. He couldn't tell me if they were getting any more in the next few weeks either.

The hunt continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I agree with the idea that 2014 is going to be an all out civil war between the 3rd parties and that not all will survive.

Quite frankly it's on their own heads. If you see that another group is making a figure, your first impulse shouldn't be to try to make that exact same figure, especially 4 times over, even more especially if you aren't trying to beat them to market.