Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Speaking builds, how's this?

http://goo.gl/DsJ1uk

The entire idea is basically to be a steamroller that can bulldoze through most obstructions in the game once things go loud and ugly.

Barriers & Doors? Saw.
Safes? Shaped charges or upgraded drill.
Cops? I'm a walking tank with a pile of shotgun upgrades, just try and stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Magni posted:

Speaking builds, how's this?

http://goo.gl/DsJ1uk

The entire idea is basically to be a steamroller that can bulldoze through most obstructions in the game once things go loud and ugly.

Barriers & Doors? Saw.
Safes? Shaped charges or upgraded drill.
Cops? I'm a walking tank with a pile of shotgun upgrades, just try and stop me.

You gotta upgrade Bulletproof, it's the best skill in Tech (once they fix C4 abuse, anyway)

TarKist
Oct 18, 2005

εν τούτω νίκα
Finally saw my first bulldozer. Fucker downed me, then went flying from my point blank Reinfeld. Wish I had a video.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What does the "save progress" or whatever the game says when you quit out do?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

What does the "save progress" or whatever the game says when you quit out do?

Backs up your progress to a local save on your computer and then an online save. If you crash, never load it though because what the game is actually doing is loading up your online save from when you started your last session, not your local one for whatever reason, which is more recent.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Capn Beeb posted:

More games need FALs.
Like a lot more.

suppressed AKM + super shorty will suffice for now, however

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Sloane posted:

I'm really glad they brought "DOUBLE TAP! TRIPLE TAP! JUST KEEP TAPPING!" over from Payday 1. "HARD CONTACT! HARDEST EVER!" is also pretty funny.
Spoilered because they're fun to discover for yourself if you haven't played before.

Interesting thing about the cop dialogue is that if you listen to it, you can often tell what's about to happen.
Many times I've heard the cops mention stacking up or being ready and then I pop out the door and there are 4 of them preparing to rush inside.
The hostage rescue teams constantly shout things like "HRT, WE'VE GOT CANARIES ON THE SCENE" so you can usually tell when they're about to hop through back windows and untie all your civilians.

There are audio cues for pretty much everything and it's great.

I've also heard the plainclothes officers/FBI guys bicker over who is managing the situation, and I swear I've heard one that talks like Christopher Walkens.

My favorite common line is the "absolute goatfuck" one for the delivery. The voiceacting is really cheesy, but the cops' really sell the exasperation at your seemingly invincible crew.

The other highlight is Bain's; I like his confusion over the Rats recipe, and his freaking out on the second day of Firestarter.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I really like what they did to Bain in this game. He's gone from the sadistic voice you hear constantly yelling at you, to pretty much your best friend, and it's the best thing. He always sounds so happy to know you're doing as well as you are and it's hilarious listening to him during Rats. "Uhh guys, this site says to put something in to keep the temperature up. Club soda? The gently caress is that?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Bain is totally checking Wikipedia during Rats.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bain is totally checking Wikipedia during Rats.

That would explain why he blows us up so often! :argh:

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Is there a way to keep the police from shooting at you after you start a heist? Seems to me they shouldn't run in guns blazing if you have hostages.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cosmik Debris posted:

Is there a way to keep the police from shooting at you after you start a heist? Seems to me they shouldn't run in guns blazing if you have hostages.

It's been mentioned that hostages and the number you have help to hold back or lessen the assault from the cops.

I also noticed it has a lot to do with what heist you're undertaking.

Jewellery store, or Ukraine Job... it seems like an eternity until the assault starts.

But things like the FBI office heist in Firestarter, the assault is pretty well instantenous

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Cosmik Debris posted:

The more hostages you have, the less aggressive they are and assault waves will take longer to happen, but there's no way to outright stop police from attacking you.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
ah ok. I guess I was expecting a more realistic response, like in SWAT 2 which is basically hostage negogiator sim 2000

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Atoramos posted:

I posted a different build, I accidentally sent you my old jack-of-all-trade build which was junk. Going to the middle of the Mastermind tree is really useful. The ties, the one-guard domination, and pager are really useful. The SAW opens up all sorts of important poo poo. Running Mallcrasher? Half the cash is in the ATMs. Get caught on Day 1 Frames? Cut the paintings out. Deposit boxes at the bank. Just throw down ammo bags and go to town. I guess the question is 'How do you plan to do that heist', since if you're running with friends and you've got a Saw, Shaped Charges, and an upgraded ECM Jammer there's little that can get in your way. The only missions where the SAW is totally useless is Watchdogs and Rats (and I guess potentially Big Oil since I haven't ran it yet).

Alright, so I fiddled around a bit more.

http://www.pd2skills.info/profile/aha/

I really want those Carbon Blades for the SAW/r2 Bulletproof, but it seems like getting some better stealth so I can set up my drills/saws/lockpicks would be a better choice.

Will not having the 4th tier bonus for Ghost make stealth impossible for me on Overkill?

The things I'm still unsure of are Inside Man vs Fast Learner, and if I really need Iron Man. I already have Bulletproof, so maybe it'd be better to get Carbon Blade? No real plan to use the SAW as an actual weapon, just need it to unlock stuff. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they burned through blades like mad unlocking stuff, but others are saying the base SAW is fine, it's only when you use it on enemies does it rip through ammo.

Also, does Improved Lockpicking just make you lockpick faster, or does it actually open up new lockpicks you otherwise wouldn't be able to do?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Capn Beeb posted:

More games need FALs.

I would totally be down for a semi auto rifle with lower damage but higher ammo capacity than the .308. I also kind of want a 3 shot burst rifle too.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

JetGrind posted:

That would explain why he blows us up so often! :argh:

The trick to rats is to ask your teammates what bain said. Sometimes he can be vague but it doesn't use the same voice clip on everyones computer. So if he sounds unsure even after the second callout, ask. Odds are he said 'its hydrogen for sure' to at least one person.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Release the FN FNC, Overkill

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
It might be worth the base level of Carbon Blade, but then you're dropping 8 points for ace for a slight increase. There's not much to cut through per mission, though, and if you're that deep in Enforcer you should be carrying around two bags of ammo anyway, if not two improved bags of ammo. There honestly isn't that much to cut through per mission day anyway (yes, even counting the current bank heist).

Inside Man is really useful for at least one person (who should be whoever usually hosts your games) to have, since assets can get pretty expensive otherwise.

versus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 14, 2013

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
This may be a silly question, but does Pistol Messiah work with all sidearms?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Crooked Warden posted:

This may be a silly question, but does Pistol Messiah work with all sidearms?

Only with pistols/the bronco.

TarKist
Oct 18, 2005

εν τούτω νίκα

DeathSandwich posted:

I also kind of want a 3 shot burst rifle too.

Yes please. A Famas would let me relive the "good" ole days of Modern Warfare 2.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

TenementFunster posted:

The AK5 is an FNC.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So apparently this game just kicks everybody and closes the match if the host crashes? We were on the third day of Rats and everything had gone perfectly.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone have an extra 4 pack copy or want to go in for a 4 pack?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039687100

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cheston posted:

So apparently this game just kicks everybody and closes the match if the host crashes? We were on the third day of Rats and everything had gone perfectly.

Yes.

I've this issue happen about three times now, but while hosting I've had the game "freeze" randomly (i.e. picking a lock or whatever) and then after about 60 seconds, kicks everyone out and eventually comes back to life. I felt bad for my team on FF D3.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Atoramos posted:

Also the sentry turrets are trash, wouldn't recommend them other than a single forced point if necessary.
I beg to differ, I've great results with them. Especially if you learn to set them up so they don't cover wide areas. If you set them right the can cover entry points for the entirety of a heist.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thread for the Secret, if you lot want it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565068

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

JetGrind posted:

I really like what they did to Bain in this game. He's gone from the sadistic voice you hear constantly yelling at you, to pretty much your best friend, and it's the best thing. He always sounds so happy to know you're doing as well as you are and it's hilarious listening to him during Rats. "Uhh guys, this site says to put something in to keep the temperature up. Club soda? The gently caress is that?"

I do miss the failed heist lines, though. "Nooo! I know you guys are the best! I-it m-must have just been an error in my plans! I'm sorry guys! I'll have you outta the slammer real soon though!" :allears:

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~
Just got done with a decent run with Literal Nazi Furry and a few others. I'm used to single day jobs so this payday was pretty hefty.

On a side note - the Deagle's suppressor and long barrel stack:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Had a great line from Bain after a highly successful day one of Rats...

"You guys are fantastic cooks! Which one of you is Heisenberg?? Hector wants to know!"

:v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

To be fair, pretty much every game does this if you don't have dedicated servers.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sloane posted:

I'm really glad they brought "DOUBLE TAP! TRIPLE TAP! JUST KEEP TAPPING!" over from Payday 1. "HARD CONTACT! HARDEST EVER!" is also pretty funny.
Spoilered because they're fun to discover for yourself if you haven't played before.

Interesting thing about the cop dialogue is that if you listen to it, you can often tell what's about to happen.
Many times I've heard the cops mention stacking up or being ready and then I pop out the door and there are 4 of them preparing to rush inside.
The hostage rescue teams constantly shout things like "HRT, WE'VE GOT CANARIES ON THE SCENE" so you can usually tell when they're about to hop through back windows and untie all your civilians.

There are audio cues for pretty much everything and it's great.

Like someone else said, it's not just that. There's audio cues for the music too. A ridiculous amount of detail went into the audio for this game. You can tell when an assault is about to happen because there'll be a quiet increase in the tempo. Same with the ending. Or, from what I can tell, sometimes even if you're about to get by a poo poo-ton of mooks from a new direction or specials.

You can easily get a 15-30 second warning of something happening if you pay attention to the musical cues. Since I have a good headset as soon as I hear the tempo or music change (The songs are pretty short, but looped.) i'm usually on the mic coordinating a regroup if we're spread out doing various tasks. It's saved a few pro job/overkill runs a few times now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 14, 2013

TarKist
Oct 18, 2005

εν τούτω νίκα

I really want that pink.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Probably gonna roll with this build: http://www.pd2skills.info/profile/gc3-2/

Emphasis is on being strong in a gunfight with buffs in ARs and Shotguns, supporting with a maxed out pair of ammo bags with the option to switch to double med if need be and be a supporter of a more dedicated Ghost (option for a basic level 1 ECM as well). I wanted to avoid the more gimmicky "fun" things like Joker and Stockholme Syndrome.

TenementFunster posted:

You can get a handguard which changes the AK5 one to the FNCs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The cops have dialog about there being three people fending off an Assault. I don't know if that is because someone is slacking or someone is killing them too fast to be noticed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Seems that Payday 2 is getting trading cards. Sneak peek from twitter: https://twitter.com/OVERKILL_TM/status/367683861599117313/photo/1

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Scalding Coffee posted:

The cops have dialog about there being three people fending off an Assault. I don't know if that is because someone is slacking or someone is killing them too fast to be noticed.

Someone else mentioned that the cops mostly ignore the fourth person if they're off on their own. I've noticed this too. It's likely the game is programmed to ignore them/only send a few people their way, so there's probably audio for that,

Wish I could find out a way to exploit that, but the level design is set up pretty solidly there. About the only place is the apartments in the second part of Rats.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 15, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The crossfire loving owns.

I've had spectacular luck with pubbies. Overkill'd the nightclub twice. And managed to rob the jewelry store with different pubbies without setting off a single alarm. One of those bastards didn't even know how to crouch or melee and he still pulled it off.

That magnificent bastard made me so much money :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Is it still possible to get a CCE code if someone had an unused 4 pack key?

Anyway, looking for a 4 pack of either type. http://steamcommunity.com/id/xxx

• Locked thread