Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

I wish they had put it up for pre-order on their website, I would've bought it from them instead of forgetting that they were going to sell it there and getting excited and buying it from Steam.

I'd buy directly from them but I'm offsetting the 20$ cost with 6-8$ in Steam funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
Um is anyone else having trouble in the menu? I don't have a cursor and as a result I can't do anything. I can change what I have selected with the keyboard but not actually do anything.

e: figured it out, it was some weird head tracking driver I have installed, the game should really let you use the menu with a keyboard even if it detects a joystick..

Alligator fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 15, 2013

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Alligator posted:

Um is anyone else having trouble in the menu? I don't have a cursor and as a result I can't do anything. I can change what I have selected with the keyboard but not actually do anything.

Disconnect your gamepad.

Edit: Wait, that's not actually it. But the cursor takes a bit (a second) of moving around to show up for me.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

GhostDog posted:

Disconnect your gamepad.
It's not connected.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
This is the first game in a while I've blindly bought without reading much or waiting for the opinions of non-game journalists. I hope it's good.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I have a lot of respect for the Fullbright Company yet I can't bring myself to play this. I do however want to know what happens in it.

Am I a terrible person?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I have a lot of respect for the Fullbright Company yet I can't bring myself to play this. I do however want to know what happens in it.

Am I a terrible person?
Well, it depends. Can you not bring yourself to play it because a home killed your parents, and the idea of playing an entire game set inside a home would be traumatic? Or are you simply unable to play any video game at all?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Am I a terrible person?

The act of playing and figuring out what happened are one and the same! It's sort of hard to describe, but actually being in this place and piecing together the story from environmental cues is half of what makes the story work as well as it does.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Well, it depends. Can you not bring yourself to play it because a home killed your parents, and the idea of playing an entire game set inside a home would be traumatic? Or are you simply unable to play any video game at all?

I lived in a home once, and then 28 years later my Dad died. Coincidence?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's probably the ghosts.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
And the lack of ammunition to dispatch said ghosts.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I lived in a home once, and then 28 years later my Dad died. Coincidence?
Probably not, but I'm sure this game will serve as a safe space to work through that trauma so that you can heal yourself and become whole. Gone Home: certified therapy game, available now on Steam (10% off for a limited time only!).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, so this was made by some of the people who made Minervas Den? I loved that DLC, and I concider it to be better than Bioshock Infinite, which I also adored. I will have to pick this up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, so this was made by some of the people who made Minervas Den? I loved that DLC, and I concider it to be better than Bioshock Infinite, which I also adored. I will have to pick this up.
Yep, pretty much. They contracted someone to do some art, and obviously the Riot Grrl soundtrack is not by the Gary Schyman, and so on, but the core team is the Minerva's Den team.

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

You become confused and frightened.
Just finished it. Holy loving poo poo. I think that's among the best games I've ever played. I'm going to play through it again right now.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

grmartin posted:

Just finished it. Holy loving poo poo. I think that's among the best games I've ever played. I'm going to play through it again right now.

Can I get some spoilers? Tagged of course. Why is everyone gone? I only ask because I have some life experiences I really never want to relive again and I worry that this game deals with them.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 15, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

grmartin posted:

Finished already? How long is this game? :psyduck:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Can I get some spoilers? Tagged of course. Why is everyone gone? I only ask because I have some life experiences I really never want to relive again and I worry that this game deals with them.
Oof, poo poo, I was joking about the "a house killed my parents" thing - my apologies if I reopened old wounds or anything.

Review roundup so far:

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 15, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

Finished already? How long is this game? :psyduck:

It's a large house without many roadblocks. You could technically run through the entire thing in like an hour if you ignored everything and made a beeline for the end. My playthrough was somewhere around 5 hours, poking around every room to examine every object and absorb the atmosphere, listen to the music, and let certain ideas sink in.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

This sounds right up my alley as far as games go. I can't wait to play it once I get money. I especially like how it apparently made the Kotaku guys cry. That's good, I like strong emotion in games.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
Well i've played about an hour so far and it's got me hooked. I've always wanted to root around a house and this fetish has unfortunately been coupled with my fear of dark rooms. The atmosphere is as scary as i've experienced even though most of it is in my head - i swear i've seen a shadow dash past in the corner of my eye a few times.

Oh yeah gently caress you Tommy.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\/\I think the lights are messed up, I've had sections I know should be on end up turning themselves off.
Wait, there's an ending? I had to take a break because I got stuck on how to unlock the attic, but I am really loving this so far.
Anyone have any broad non spoiler hints on that?

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

Dreadwroth posted:

/\/\I think the lights are messed up, I've had sections I know should be on end up turning themselves off.
Wait, there's an ending? I had to take a break because I got stuck on how to unlock the attic, but I am really loving this so far.
Anyone have any broad non spoiler hints on that?

I too would like vague spoilers on where to find the key to the attic and the key to safe in basement.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Patrick Klepek spoiled some stuff for me at my request on tumblr. I'll steer clear of playing the game but I'll still buy the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
To point out the odd man out, Eurogamer did not seem to crazy about the game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Patrick Klepek spoiled some stuff for me at my request on tumblr. I'll steer clear of playing the game but I'll still buy the game.

Just curious, but why are you so averse to playing it? Does it not seem complex enough or something?

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
EuroGamer can go gently caress itself.

I cried. I cried over a game. I have never cried over a game.

No spoilers. Its better to experience it yourself. You need to buy the game, and you need to reward the people who made this for making it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Just curious, but why are you so averse to playing it? Does it not seem complex enough or something?

I don't really want to go into it but there are some experiences I don't want to relive and I caught undertones of them in the trailers.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Can't wait to speedrun this poo poo tonight.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

I don't really want to go into it but there are some experiences I don't want to relive and I caught undertones of them in the trailers.

Gotcha. I was thinking it was purely a mechanics thing.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just finished and, wow that was the first bloody videogame to ever make me tear up. Well played devs, well played. I think I need a hug.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I just finished my playthrough of it, and my God.

The way the visuals are crafted in this game is simply really impressive. I enjoyed how much it really ran with the theme of walking through a reclusive, psychotic man's house, secret passages and all. It kinda says something about a game that makes you really understand its characters, without ever letting you interact with them.

For people who have finished their playthroughs, are there more than 21 journals? I feel like I explored pretty exhaustively, and haven't found any more than that. That, and I'm not sure if it ever really explains what Oscar actually did, or if we're left to guess that for ourselves. I mean, we know that whatever he did alienated the people around him, and most of his immediate family. I'm also a little confused, because Sam refers to Oscar as "Uncle Oscar", but the will in Terrence's safe clearly says that Oscar is Terrence's Uncle, not brother, which would make Oscar Sam's great-uncle, right?

Anyway, it was a really great game, and I could see booting it up again to exhaustively explore anything I didn't find.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Game does not let me watch a bootleg VHS copy of Dark Crystal. 4/10 :colbert:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Took me about 3 hours.

Things I didn't like:
- While you can pick up a lot of objects, most of the meaningful interaction is still relegated to reading documents.
- The way these documents are scattered throughout the house serves the way the story is supposed to unfold and as such is a bit unbelievable.

Things I did like:
- This feels like the game equivalent of an early Mountain Goats song.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just beat it. Despite being pretty thorough I'm missing three journal entries and I forgot about the basement safe and didn't check back on it. Where's the combination?

Also was the mom cheating with her co-worker? There was nothing definite but my suspicions started with that novel up in the attic and the game just kept piling it on afterwards.

Anyway it was really great, Eurogamer confirmed for absolutely no taste. :colbert:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 15, 2013

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I cried! Playthrough was only about two hours for me, though. No complaints - it was like watching a good movie. It's lingering with me so much that I want to play it again, but I'm a very thorough "pick up everything and poke at everything twice" in games like this and I can't help but feel like I didn't really miss anything, other than the safes. For the dad's, I tried 1963 and 1163 but neither of those codes worked. Anyone have a tip on that one?

I actually thought I was going to have a panic attack when I was approaching the attic at the end once I had the key. My heart was pounding and my hands started shaking and I had to literally save and step away from the game for a few minutes to collect myself. Endless admiration for that one - I really got THAT emotionally invested in the story and the characters.

One thing that I just don't understand - where ARE the parents while the gameplay is happening?

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 15, 2013

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Basement safe combination is in the guest bedroom next to the secret door

Hope this helps.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I cried! Playthrough was only about two hours for me, though. No complaints - it was like watching a good movie. It's lingering with me so much that I want to play it again, but I'm a very thorough "pick up everything and poke at everything twice" in games like this and I can't help but feel like I didn't really miss anything, other than the safes. For the dad's, I tried 1963 and 1163 but neither of those codes worked. Anyone have a tip on that one?

I actually thought I was going to have a panic attack when I was approach the attic at the end once I had the key. My heart was pounding and my hands started shaking and I had to literally save and step away from the game for a few minutes to collect myself. Endless admiration for that one - I really got THAT emotionally invested in the story and the characters.

One thing that I just don't understand - where ARE the parents while the gameplay is happening?
For your first question, the combination to the dad's lock is in the study, past the room the safe is, in the far left corner of the room hidden in a file on one of the bookcases.

For your second question,they're at a couples counseling retreat if I'm not mistaken.

StoicFnord posted:

Basement safe

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I can't believe I missed that. I was right there too, though it still doesn't answer much about Uncle Oscar. Reading that letter though ...was he gay? It's not much to go on unless there's more I missed but that letter sounded pretty self-loathing what with him talking about "his sin" and it would be an interesting contrast to Sam who embraced her sexuality and left the house instead of locking herself away and living in denial like Oscar might have done.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 15, 2013

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I actually thought I was going to have a panic attack when I was approaching the attic at the end once I had the key. My heart was pounding and my hands started shaking and I had to literally save and step away from the game for a few minutes to collect myself. Endless admiration for that one - I really got THAT emotionally invested in the story and the characters.

Oh man i know what you mean regarding the spoiler. I haven't felt that tense in a while and i'm not ashamed to say i ran to the light turned round and then slowly creeped round the corner. I was expecting something really horrible but was really, really blown away by the conclusion. Listening to Sam's last diary about Lonnie and looking at the pictures in the attic made me tear up.

Amazing game, go and get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, serious question, with some spoilers.

I've only watched two or three videos on this, almost all promotional/the opening of the QL, and it almost felt spelled outright that the parents were abusive, maybe emotionally, maybe physically, and the sister likely had something to do with the disappearance, especially since you left her with them. Hell, the early stuff they did on GB felt like they almost said it outright.

I want to buy this to support these guys, and I want to play it, but I feel like I already figured out what happened, so what's the point. They put so much on the "oh yeah, abuse", stuff, that I can't imagine most of this stuff will phase me. Learning the secret stops being a journey when you know the ending, yeah? And even when I secondguess myself and think it might be something else, the ideas of what it could actually be don't really interest me much either.

So I guess what I'm asking is. Is it a clearcut thing. Do those undertones just lead straight to the ending, or is there much, much more there.

e: I guess this makes me heartless, but I'm basically saying I don't want to spend $18 if this is just a sad "games are art" tale of abuse you uncover. I want there to be a mystery, questions, and something to keep me curious. I'm torn because the idea behind it sounds cool, I'm just not the guy who spends over $5 on "games are art" style games, outside of maybe Journey. And that's the read I'm getting from these trailers.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 15, 2013

• Locked thread