Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I'm in Israel, jet lagged as gently caress, and woe be it upon me to discover my 3DS refuses to charge here with a regular adaptor. I bought a voltage converter but it doesn't appear to be the correct one. Seriously gently caress Nintendo for not including such a simple thing in their charger. I just want to get my SMTIV fix to help me sleep :( any advice, y'all? Does the 3DS XL suffer from this as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I'm in Israel, jet lagged as gently caress, and woe be it upon me to discover my 3DS refuses to charge here with a regular adaptor. I bought a voltage converter but it doesn't appear to be the correct one. Seriously gently caress Nintendo for not including such a simple thing in their charger. I just want to get my SMTIV fix to help me sleep :( any advice, y'all? Does the 3DS XL suffer from this as well?

Not including a simple what?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the EU pre-order bonus for Harvest Moon: A New Beginning:

Jeez what happened to that girl's shirt and pants? I know farming is dirty work but was she literally poo poo on?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Ok guys, I have a problem. I took the 4 GB SDHC card that came with my XL (Lexar brand, what the gently caress) and copied the files to my computer as a backup.
I put it back into the 3DS, turned it on, and now it refuses to see it. WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO. Formatting the card with Panasonic's software sounds like a good idea but some weird stuff happened when I made the backup, which looks like it might have corrupted, and I have a LOT of precious save data there. Am I boned or what?

I was Halfway through Mario & Luigi Dream Team. :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Make sure that the label on the SD card wasn't changed. I think by default it's "NO NAME". When I migrated my content to a larger card it refused to work until I fixed the label.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Hey, is there any way to get the DLC costumes for Dead or Alive now that they aren't being offered on SpotPass anymore? Any trick I can do with an SD card to move them to another system that doesn't have them?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Prorat posted:

Not including a simple what?

Voltage converter.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

flyboi posted:

Make sure that the label on the SD card wasn't changed. I think by default it's "NO NAME". When I migrated my content to a larger card it refused to work until I fixed the label.

That didn't work, but I transfered everything to a Micro SD I just formatted and my 3DS sees it. However, none of my games are there, so I'm redownloading Mighty Switch Force to check if my save files are still intact. :ohdear:

e: They aren't. :suicide:
And I cant even copy files from the first card anymore :suicide:x2

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 16, 2013

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Didn't you say you copied the original data to the computer? What do you mean "some weird stuff happened?"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Stink Terios posted:

That didn't work, but I transfered everything to a Micro SD I just formatted and my 3DS sees it. However, none of my games are there, so I'm redownloading Mighty Switch Force to check if my save files are still intact. :ohdear:

e: They aren't. :suicide:
And I cant even copy files from the first card anymore :suicide:x2

Sounds like you mahandled your card or it was otherwise close to failing.

flyboi posted:

I didn't have any issues with having my card named "3DS Data" when I upgraded the size.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Voltage converter.

In 27 years of life I've never seen any charger with a built in voltage converter, or are you talking about a label on the charger?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Awesome! posted:

Didn't you say you copied the original data to the computer? What do you mean "some weird stuff happened?"

Windows said "cannot find file xxx.xxx, try again?" And the "missing" files got copied after trying again for every file separately. :wtc:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you're like me and have been kicking yourself in the rear end because you couldn't ever find Cave Story 3D in stock and pissed out how outrageously expensive it is on eBay you're in luck!

I was complaining to a friend how bad NIS America games are and while browsing what they've released I noticed they have Cave Story 3D new in stock for $40

http://store.nisamerica.com/Games/Cave-Story-3D

KingLOCAR
Mar 4, 2004
MillDaKill is the BOMB

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Voltage converter.

I've been traveling with a USB to DSi charging cable for a few years. 100yen if you ever make it to tokyo

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I wouldn't recommend Cave Story 3D. But that's just me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I own a Vita and a Wii U. I have lost any sort of semblance of reasonable purchasing choices obviously.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

KingLOCAR posted:

I've been traveling with a USB to DSi charging cable for a few years. 100yen if you ever make it to tokyo

I have one of these for the 3DS but it still refuses to work :(

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Is there a way for me to change my streetpass greeting? I made mine not really understanding how the whole system works thinking I would never use it.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I have one of these for the 3DS but it still refuses to work :(

You can make one of those on your own with a knife and a spare USB device. It takes about ten minutes tops.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think your greeting's under Mii Settings in the Plaza. xpost

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Did you attempt to charge your 3DS straight from the wall before trying with voltage converters and USB chargers? You say both wouldn't work, but there's no reason they shouldn't except if you'd wrecked the handheld in advance. Israel uses 220-240v power like Europe, and the last time I tried to connect a 100v device it blew with a bang.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I bought a voltage converter but it doesn't appear to be the correct one. Seriously gently caress Nintendo for not including such a simple thing in their charger.

Seriously, gently caress Nintendo for not including an American to Israeli voltage converter in the base package. Everybody needs one! It's just common sense!

I'm sure that any nearby electronics shop sells what you need, and probably for less than five American dollars. Hell, they probably have them in the hotel.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Crisis averted! I had to replace the name of my old card's folder (a bunch of gibberish) with the name of the folder my recently downloaded Mighty Switch Force wass assigned (more gibberish) to and now all my stuff's back! :dance:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm kind of flabbergasted that you guys seem unaware of how many chargers DO handle voltage conversions. I think my Nintendo handheld chargers are literally the only ones I own that don't. Even the Vita charger handles up to 240v.

Sarchasm posted:

Seriously, gently caress Nintendo for not including an American to Israeli voltage converter in the base package. Everybody needs one! It's just common sense!

It's not just Israeli, you idiot, most of the world uses 240v.

E: it's still pretty stupid to plug something in in a foreign country without checking the specs, though. They're printed on the charger for a reason.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 16, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man, what the hell Nintendo? I haven't seen a adapter/converter in loving ages that wasn't 110-220 V compatible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The 3 use limitation on the EO4 demo is dumb as gently caress, is there a way to bypass it?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ryoshi posted:

It's not just Israeli, you idiot, most of the world uses 240v.

And I'm sure the places that do have compatible chargers. It's still foolish and entitled to expect Nintendo to pack in universal chargers with every 3DS.

Edit: If your electronics all handle that conversion without any extra adapters, I'm very happy for you, but I feel like you're in the minority. I--like other posters above me--have lost a few devices by trying to plug a 110v device into a European socket. I don't think it's nearly as universal as you claim.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 16, 2013

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Foul Fowl posted:

The 3 use limitation on the EO4 demo is dumb as gently caress, is there a way to bypass it?

Have an American 3DS? That's really it
Maybe you can delete/reinstall demos to get more plays but I don't know that for sure.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

And I'm sure the places that do have compatible chargers. It's still foolish and entitled to expect Nintendo to pack in universal chargers with every 3DS.

Edit: If your electronics all handle that conversion without any extra adapters, I'm very happy for you, but I feel like you're in the minority. I--like other posters above me--have lost a few devices by trying to plug a 110v device into a European socket. I don't think it's nearly as universal as you claim.

I wouldn't expect household electronics to be universal, but I most certainly expect that with portable devices. I haven't seen a single portable electronic gadget except for Nintendo's consoles that isn't - every laptop and tablet in production today comes with a universal charger, every cell phone and every camera with a built-in battery. The Vita and the PSP also do. Nintendo is the exception here, not the rule.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man, what the hell Nintendo? I haven't seen a adapter/converter in loving ages that wasn't 110-220 V compatible.
It's really weird, especially for a portable system that, you know, people might want to take with them when traveling. It can't even make that much of a cost difference per unit produced, but you can count on Nintendo gimping their hardware anywhere there's a few cents to save.

Foul Fowl posted:

You're on a locked-down proprietary system, don't expect there to be any bypass solution for whatever stupid, arbitrary limits they enforce. I bet all licenses are stored in the main system storage, but you could backup the demo's data files, play once, restore backup and report back what happens.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

Don't shut it off, basically.

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

I was hoping for either the cuddly cow or yak that NA got for preorders:

But at least we're getting the game at last.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It seemed to have the same vibe as Chunsoft's earlier "sound novels" like the Kamaitachi trilogy, Machi, and 428.
It's absolutely a sequel to Machi / 428 - just about everyone from 428 makes an appearance, some as cameos in the opening, but some as actually significant characters in the game. You can get away with having not played the first 2 games (I mean, I've still not played Machi so probably missed some references in 428) though - it's probably more important that you watch Back To The Future and read The Door Into Summer tbh.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's absolutely a sequel to Machi / 428 - just about everyone from 428 makes an appearance, some as cameos in the opening, but some as actually significant characters in the game. You can get away with having not played the first 2 games (I mean, I've still not played Machi so probably missed some references in 428) though - it's probably more important that you watch Back To The Future and read The Door Into Summer tbh.

Well drat, I'd better get Time Travelers, then.
I absolutely loved Machi (it's less refined than 428, but if you liked 428, you've got to play this)and 428, so I'll pull the trigger.
I detested the Style Savvy-ish prettyboy anime look, though.

Hearing that TT is a direct sequel to Machi and 428 means it will NEVER get localized, though.
Such a rotten shame.
I heard one of them was offered to a localization firm, but after five minutes of checking the gameplay, both the publisher and localizer exchanged looks, shook their heads, and nothing more was said about it.

Man, I would've loved to have worked on them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

orenronen posted:

Nintendo is the exception here, not the rule.

Actually, Nintendo of America is. Nintendo of Japan's (3)DS chargers are all certified for 110~240V, even though they use the same 110V as the US. :laugh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Katana Gomai posted:

Actually, Nintendo of America is. Nintendo of Japan's (3)DS chargers are all certified for 110~240V, even though they use the same 110V as the US. :laugh:

This is even more baffling. Though isn't the US the only place where the wall charger is bundled with the system? I think everywhere else you actually have to go buy a charger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just finished 100%ing all star coins and moon coins in NSMB2 (as Luigi). Whoever said it would be hard to 100% Star Road must be bad at Mario. I guess I'm basically done with this game now, unless I suddenly start not hating Coin Rush mode due to a severe blow to the head. If you buy this game, buy it used. Like, way used. It's at the very best a 20 dollar value.

That's literally some garbage you could buy off a deviantart teen or make yourself with generic beads.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

orenronen posted:

I haven't seen a single portable electronic gadget except for Nintendo's consoles that isn't - every laptop and tablet in production today comes with a universal charger, every cell phone and every camera with a built-in battery. The Vita and the PSP also do. Nintendo is the exception here, not the rule.

Guess I'm just unlucky, then. I've actually had an electric razor sizzle and stink up the room by overloading the battery on European juice.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Monkey Fracas posted:

This is even more baffling. Though isn't the US the only place where the wall charger is bundled with the system? I think everywhere else you actually have to go buy a charger.

For the 3DSXL, yes. They still sell "official" 3DS chargers seperately though (here in the EU as well), and of course the chargers that came with the regular 3DS and old DS consoles were 110~240V, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

orenronen posted:

I wouldn't expect household electronics to be universal, but I most certainly expect that with portable devices. I haven't seen a single portable electronic gadget except for Nintendo's consoles that isn't - every laptop and tablet in production today comes with a universal charger, every cell phone and every camera with a built-in battery. The Vita and the PSP also do. Nintendo is the exception here, not the rule.

When they say they're committed to region-locking, they mean it :v:.

• Locked thread