Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Giving preferential treatment to music agreeable to the majority of listeners would lead to the definition of a mainstream. A mainstream based on the music taste of Goons, of course, but a mainstream nonetheless.

Personally, I don't listen to GBS-FM for enjoyment, but to discover music and genres I didn't even know I could like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Default Settings posted:

I don't listen to GBS-FM for enjoyment

goons.txt

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The more people rate songs I add '1', the more unlistenable the music I add becomes.
This is because I am a child dick.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm trying to listen from my netbook and whatever I try (both 8080 and 8001 ports) my Winamp is saying 404 Not Found. The website with the playlist opens normally except that it says listeners: ? instead of a number...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, the stream is down (and has been for a while)

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
It's back up. I had a fileserver reboot and forgot to start up the network interface it needed to communicate with gbs.fm

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
This "Some..." themed marathon is a good thing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

[17:41:39] <Jonnty> i'm kind of impressed that one time long ago i managed to poo poo out this site

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
<3 Keru

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Mod abuse is either a blessing or a curse. There is no in between.

I think DaWolfey frequently uses his power to listen to a new CD he bought on GBS-FM, instead of just putting it in the stereo.

You can piss him off royally by adding the songs out of order. :laugh:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I do it out of love and sharing!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DaWolfey posted:

I do it out of love and sharing!

So do I! It's just that I'm a sadist.

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
I'll let the goonroom know.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The chrome extension link is broken if anyone can fix it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

ATTENTION: theguybro is an awful uploader and needs to be banned.

But by all means continue uploading rants by some guy with an Indian accent, I'm having great fun shitvoting and reporting all of them. :byewhore:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So I just signed up, why is Beethoven's 9th symphony banned? :cry:

Edit: I'm wanna secretly set up the radio station I work at to broadcast GBS-FM in the dead of night, but something tells me that's a baaaad idea.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 9, 2013

Hati
Oct 1, 2004

As for the good news... There is no fucking good news!
So let's rock!

Handen posted:

So I just signed up, why is Beethoven's 9th symphony banned? :cry:

Don't fret, anything uploaded over 11 minutes is automatically banned for length. If you want to add any of these long dongs to the playlist, bug a mod in the IRC channel and maybe something wonderful will happen.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Handen posted:

Edit: I'm wanna secretly set up the radio station I work at to broadcast GBS-FM in the dead of night, but something tells me that's a baaaad idea.

Depending on your timezone, that is either a bad idea because 1) poo poo music, or 2) one song repeated over and over because nobody is awake to add stuff to the playlist.

(My mornings are mostly the second point. #Merijn-FM!)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Merijn posted:

Depending on your timezone, that is either a bad idea because 1) poo poo music, or 2) one song repeated over and over because nobody is awake to add stuff to the playlist.

(My mornings are mostly the second point. #Merijn-FM!)

Anything goes between the hours of 12am and 6am; no Canadian Content requirements, no ad requirements, swearing allowed, etc. I'll set up a trial run for the midnight to 1am timeslot some time next week and see what the response is. :buddy:

Timezone is GMT -07:00

Edit: There's quite the excellent selection of stoner rock in here. Every Black Debbath album? God drat, somebody knows what's up. :respek:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2013

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Hang on - are you saying that GBS-FM is actually to be broadcast for real? Not on the Internet, but through the ether?

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 10, 2013

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

It's official: WE'VE SOLD OUT! :toot:

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 10, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sold out of what?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

bowmore posted:

Sold out of what?
Underground.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Handen posted:

Anything goes between the hours of 12am and 6am; no Canadian Content requirements, no ad requirements, swearing allowed, etc. I'll set up a trial run for the midnight to 1am timeslot some time next week and see what the response is. :buddy:

Timezone is GMT -07:00
Someone had better abuse the hell out of this.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

DaWolfey posted:

Hang on - are you saying that GBS-FM is actually to be broadcast for real? Not on the Internet, but through the ether?

I work at a campus station, so we have a bit of leeway when it comes to playing "alternative" stuff. I'll provide a link to our stream if it happens, although it'll be redundant to listen to a stream of a radio station streaming a stream when you could just stream that stream in the first place. In any case, our transmitter reaches roughly 100000 people in Southern Alberta (on a good day) who could tune randomly to hear whatever is being played at the time, be it fart and poop joke songs or legitimate music. I enjoy the mix, and I think it could be amusing to broadcast goon selected music to people's cars and houses.

That being said, I have to double triple quadruple check that this will be okay. And if you would rather it not be broadcast, that's cool too. So I'll ask first: Would this be alright with you?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It's fine with me! I both welcome and fear what you might unleash on an unsuspecting public.

You do realise that we have no rules on what can be queued and when listeners learn that actual people might hear it, that they are going to add whatever they think might get you in trouble?
What I am saying is, your station may well be broadcasting German WW2 propaganda and ayran pride songs soon...

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Or a French guy yelling into a mic about eating poop.

But ironically. We're not really fascists or coprophages.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Come tune in to listen to wonderful tributes to the victims of 9/11.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

DaWolfey posted:

It's fine with me! I both welcome and fear what you might unleash on an unsuspecting public.

You do realise that we have no rules on what can be queued and when listeners learn that actual people might hear it, that they are going to add whatever they think might get you in trouble?
What I am saying is, your station may well be broadcasting German WW2 propaganda and ayran pride songs soon...

Yeah... That's why it would just be a test run after midnight for the time being. Pretty much anything goes after midnight, we've just never had the balls to exercise how far we can take it before (and I think it would be loving hilarious to let goons dictate an hour's worth of no holds barred on-air LIVE radio programming). THAT BEING SAID! I tried to open the stream up with our automated DJ software and we're running into some sort of network issue. Will report back, but we're organizing a big event soon so it might not get figured out until next week.

Edit: I can listen to the stream on my office computer, but apparently the broadcast computer is unable to connect to port 8080 or 8001 due to us being behind a massive firewall or something. I dunno. If I had my way I'd be streaming today's tribute to 9/11 all day between DJs but that wouldn't go over well (for obvious reasons) :shrug:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 11, 2013

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Merijn posted:

We're not really fascists or coprophages.

Speak for yourself. :colbert:

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

Handen posted:

Edit: I can listen to the stream on my office computer, but apparently the broadcast computer is unable to connect to port 8080 or 8001 due to us being behind a massive firewall or something. I dunno. If I had my way I'd be streaming today's tribute to 9/11 all day between DJs but that wouldn't go over well (for obvious reasons) :shrug:

Hit me up in the chat and we'll set something up. Try to find which ports you can use

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Handen posted:

Pretty much anything goes after midnight, we've just never had the balls to exercise how far we can take it before (and I think it would be loving hilarious to let goons dictate an hour's worth of no holds barred on-air LIVE radio programming).

Next week is covered.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Stand up comedy isn't music, dummies. QED.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Scuttle_SE posted:

Hit me up in the chat and we'll set something up. Try to find which ports you can use

We actually just got it figured out! It's programmed to start on our 24 hour off-air broadcast at midnight on Thursday (technically 00:00 until 02:00 on Friday morning, Mountain Daylight Time -06:00GMT.) Our online stream has been having issues lately so I'll hold off on giving a link until I know it's back up and running without issue, but it looks like if you guys want to go nuts on the programming for those two hours that it'll be broadcasting over the air to ~90000 people.

Make me proud. :q:

Edit: There's a slight chance that it might not load properly (we've never programmed a stream before) so this week will be a trial run and if there are any bugs to iron out we'll figure out what went wrong and try again next week. But as it stands, I think we got it right.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 16, 2013

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Handen posted:

We actually just got it figured out! It's programmed to start on our 24 hour off-air broadcast at midnight on Thursday (technically 00:00 until 02:00 on Friday morning, Mountain Daylight Time -06:00GMT.) Our online stream has been having issues lately so I'll hold off on giving a link until I know it's back up and running without issue, but it looks like if you guys want to go nuts on the programming for those two hours that it'll be broadcasting over the air to ~90000 people.

Make me proud. :q:

Edit: There's a slight chance that it might not load properly (we've never programmed a stream before) so this week will be a trial run and if there are any bugs to iron out we'll figure out what went wrong and try again next week. But as it stands, I think we got it right.
Are you going to be doing some sort of announcement or just dropping a GBS-FM bomb on to the unsuspecting public?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Farquar posted:

Are you going to be doing some sort of announcement or just dropping a GBS-FM bomb on to the unsuspecting public?
I don't think any announcement could fully prepare the public for goon music hour. :v:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Being unemployed is boring as hell, but I've got an interview later on Friday, so I'll set my alarm for this.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Farquar posted:

Our program director seems to like the idea as much as I do, and he thinks we should advertise for it starting as soon as possible. He is not a goon, so he may not grasp the potential dangers quite fully but whatever who cares let's see what happens. Initially he thought "this crowdsourced DJ thing is a neat idea! Let's run it every night from 12-5am!" I urged against that for now (knowing full well what goons are capable of), but depending on how well it gets received we're not against the idea of looking at adding more slots if it takes off.

NOW, we could make the ad spots for it ourselves, BUT if anyone would like to volunteer to make a 30 second commercial that we can air during our regular programming, we have no problem using those (I'm thinking along the lines of the SA Christmas Song threads where as many people contribute as possible, the funnier the better). The only caveat is that it can't have swearing/profanity/sexually suggestive content, etc., (If you choose to say General Bullshit FM, 'poo poo' has to be bleeped) and has to include CKXU, 88.3FM, and Lethbridge's TRUE Alternative in there somewhere (preferably in that order) plus the air time (Midnight Thursday, technically 00:00 Friday, however you want to say it, until 2am.)

If anyone feels capable of pulling together an ad spot that we can use that encompasses the above points by Thursday afternoon, I'll add it (as long as it's not absolutely terrible). Otherwise I might hold off on doing it myself until next week once I'm 100% positive that the show goes as planned this Thursday night/Friday morning.

:cripes:oh god what have i done

• Locked thread