Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Don't use Lethality outside of spotpass. Also don't use Renewal when Lifestealer is an option. Ricken would give Laurent the highest magic cap outside of Morgan if that interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ricken/Miriel was the pairing the LP here on SA (which tipped me over into getting this game) did, so Miriel/Libra sounds like a plan - their A-C supports are entertaining.

Also, I'm running a male Avatar. Is it better to pair him with one of the women who can already have a kid, or one of the loners/second-gens?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cythereal posted:

Ricken/Miriel was the pairing the LP here on SA (which tipped me over into getting this game) did, so Miriel/Libra sounds like a plan - their A-C supports are entertaining.

Also, I'm running a male Avatar. Is it better to pair him with one of the women who can already have a kid, or one of the loners/second-gens?

Go with one of the women who already have a kid so that you end up with two superchildren.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ChaosArgate posted:

Go with one of the women who already have a kid so that you end up with two superchildren.

One possibility, or would pairing the Avatar with an existing murderbot child result in an even better grade of murderbot?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cythereal posted:

One possibility, or would pairing the Avatar with an existing murderbot child result in an even better grade of murderbot?

Technically yes, but generally two superchildren are worth more than one ultrachild in this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just make Morgan a dragon. You could pair Nowi with Donny and then the avatar with Nah so both dragons have Aptitude.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just make Morgan a dragon. You could pair Nowi with Donny and then the avatar with Nah so both dragons have Aptitude.

I'm not one for we-swear-it's-not-pedophilia, so I don't know if Nah is even going to show up. Avatar/Tiki is certainly a possibility.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Just pair nowi with ricken, its pretty much all hes good for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

That's actually sort of what I was thinking. These are my tentatively planned pairings:

Sumia/Chrom
Lissa/Donnel
Sully/Gaius
Miriel/Libra
Maribelle/Henry
Panne/Frederick
Corelia/Kellam
Nowi/Ricken
Tharja/Vaike
Olivia/Virion
Cherche/Lon'qu
Tiki/Avatar

May instead put Avatar with Cherche and Lon'qu with Panne.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You should really reconsider Donny, Vaike and Ricken. They're wasted where you have them. I'd not pair Panne with Fred either and Kellam ruins Cordelia's kid's speed which is her best stat. Cherche and Lon'qu's a little weird, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You should really reconsider Donny, Vaike and Ricken. They're wasted where you have them. I'd not pair Panne with Fred either and Kellam ruins Cordelia's kid's speed which is her best stat. Cherche and Lon'qu's a little weird, too.

I've planned pairings based on which supports I like (or which two irritants I want to foist off on each other), not mechanical optimization. I was told that that's a perfectly viable way to play.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're choosing these things like that why even ask for advice you won't take? :raise: Nothing wrong with pairing people based off of supports and personal preference, but in that case I don't know what you're even asking here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're choosing these things like that why even ask for advice you won't take? :raise: Nothing wrong with pairing people based off of supports and personal preference, but in that case I don't know what you're even asking here.

Just trying to make sure I'll still have a reasonably effective second generation. I'm not looking to min-max, but I don't want to wreck the kids, either. I'm sorry - you sounded a like "MUST OPTIMIZE!" grog to me.

That said, who would you recommend for Panne, Lissa, and Cherche? They're the pairings I'm iffiest on, and I would like to get Kellam in somewhere. May do Avatar/Cherche instead of Avatar/Tiki.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 16, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's literally impossible to mess up on the kids. They will at worst be just a little stronger than their parents, seriously don't worry about it. Just pair people up based on how cool they are to each other.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can get away with pairing anyone you want and be fine, the game isn't very demanding. It was just weird to me that you asked about eugenics and then stated you did not care about eugenics is all.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I've planned pairings based on which supports I like (or which two irritants I want to foist off on each other), not mechanical optimization. I was told that that's a perfectly viable way to play.

Don't listen to these mlg pros, that's the best way to play the game on first go-round. As for good parings, most of those actually work pretty well. I'd maybe reconsider gauis/sully, Cordelia/kellam and vaike/tharja. I think Gaius/Tharja is one of my favorite pairings; they have good supports, the supports build to romance in the S-rank well, and they actually are good eugenics wise as well. Stahl and Cordelia also go well together, both supports wise and eugenics wise. I can't comment on Vaike/Sully since I always pair him with Cherche. But otherwise some darn good choices.Donny/Lissa are probably my favorite pairing. :nyoron: Panne/Freddy is also good for supports and decent for eugenics (freddy takes away speed, which panne actually gives a lot of, but also gives strength and defense)Cherche/Lonq is pretty decent support wise as well, and Lonq's kid will pretty much always be good since he makes them sonic the fuckin' hedgehog. Cherche's son also needs black or blonde hair, and Lonq has that covered.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Don't listen to these mlg pros, that's the best way to play the game on first go-round.

The MLG pros of Fire Emblem?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dude, relax. He wasn't trying to be all THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO PLAY THE GAME, he was just asking why Cythereal was even bothering making sure the pairings were okay if he didn't care about mechanical effectiveness. Chill.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

Dude, relax. He wasn't trying to be all THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO PLAY THE GAME, he was just asking why Cythereal was even bothering making sure the pairings were okay if he didn't care about mechanical effectiveness. Chill.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't completely wrecking the kids, and consensus seems to be that Vaike/Tharja and Cordelia/Kellam need to go, which I can work with. Thank you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, even Vaike/Tharja and Cordelia/Kellam work out passably. Not particularly well, mind, but Cordelia's kid and Tharja's kid will still be very good units, just like all the kids are. They're good units by default.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I paired Ricken with Tharja for comedy, Lon'qu with Cherche for ~*feels*~ and Donnel with Nowi for murderbot Dragongirl kid. Avatar ended up with Sumia, Vaike got Lissa, Chrom got Olivia, Panne got Henry, Virion got Sully, and I think that's all I've done so far.

e: forgot Cordelia/Gaius

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I basically always go with Cordelia/Kellam because I really like the support. And its one of Cordelia's only supports that doesn't even mention Chrom.

Plus Kellam is hilariously appropriate as Severa's father.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the Laurent/Noire S-support on serenes, expecting it to be rather sweet with Laurent always looking out for her. I... did not get that. :wtc:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Cythereal posted:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Laurent/Noire S-support on serenes, expecting it to be rather sweet with Laurent always looking out for her. I... did not get that. :wtc:
Instead you got one of the best supports in the game!

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Cythereal posted:

You need to stop assuming people aren't crazy :getin:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm gonna skip the obligatory nerdlord "just got this game". I'm between Chapters 10 and 11 right now just fighting Risen and what-have-you. When should I be using Second Seals and when should I be using Master Seals? Like is there a given optimal level for each, or should I only use one post-reclassing, or what? In the interim I've been too terrified to use either (haha).

Also: I have a lot of items like Dracoshields and Goddess Icons, how do I determine who best to use them on? I imagine since characters are a bit more balanced against one another here than in SMTIV I shouldn't just blow them all on my main unit like I did with incenses in that game.

Also also, with so many choices how do you ever choose who to marry ;____;

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I never understood why everyone hated Ricken. On my first run he was incredibly strong and my MVP of the game (aside from Morgan but he doesn't count). So I decided to use him again on my Lunatic run and he just decided to not gain speed. Come midgame pretty much everything was doubling him so I had to cram several speed wings down his throat. That still wasn't enough so I figured I'd use my dread fighter scroll on him. Ricken turning into a wannabe anime ninja is pretty fitting.

Cythereal posted:

Noire is such a good character she even has hilarious supports with the awful ones! :v:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm gonna skip the obligatory nerdlord "just got this game". I'm between Chapters 10 and 11 right now just fighting Risen and what-have-you. When should I be using Second Seals and when should I be using Master Seals? Like is there a given optimal level for each, or should I only use one post-reclassing, or what? In the interim I've been too terrified to use either (haha).

Also: I have a lot of items like Dracoshields and Goddess Icons, how do I determine who best to use them on? I imagine since characters are a bit more balanced against one another here than in SMTIV I shouldn't just blow them all on my main unit like I did with incenses in that game.

Use master seals when a unit hits level 20. There isn't any reason to promote them before that since it just makes gaining exp harder. Second seals are something you can completely ignore or use a ton of. You kind of need to look at a guide to figure out who can reclass to what see all the options they have. Generally though you use second seals at level 10 in a basic class to start as another one or level 15 in an advanced class to switch over to another one and gain more skills.

Do whatever you want with stat boosters. My preferred method is to use them to compensate for weaknesses I see in some units or give a boost to a character that is lagging behind. You can just use them to supercharge one guy if you want though.

As for supports, just pair up whoever you want and have fun with it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I never understood why everyone hated Ricken. On my first run he was incredibly strong and my MVP of the game (aside from Morgan but he doesn't count). So I decided to use him again on my Lunatic run and he just decided to not gain speed. Come midgame pretty much everything was doubling him so I had to cram several speed wings down his throat. That still wasn't enough so I figured I'd use my dread fighter scroll on him. Ricken turning into a wannabe anime ninja is pretty fitting.

Hes really slow and almost all his supports are "I am not a little kid shut up :mad:"

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Ricken's claim to fame is that he can get Aegis and Luna, which Miriel can't get herself. ... Otherwise he's a li'l dork and there are plenty of better Magic peoples.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Internet Kraken posted:

Ricken is the same lovely child character we've gotten in every other game in this series. I have also found it very hosed up that the lords of this series apparently support child soldiers.

As for using Master Seals, you might as well just use them at level 10. You are never going to have an issue with EXP. This is true in every other game, but even moreso in this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Hes really slow and almost all his supports are "I am not a little kid shut up :mad:"

Well I find him kind of endearing. Normally I hate kids in video games but he doesn't bother me, though admittedly it's almost entirely because he reminds me a lot of my brother. Plus despite being a kid he's one of the few people in the army that contemplates the consequences of fighting actual humans rather than just hordes of mindless soldiers.

Kid is slow as hell though if he gets unlucky, I won't deny that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I find him kind of endearing. Normally I hate kids in video games but he doesn't bother me, though admittedly it's almost entirely because he reminds me a lot of my brother. Plus despite being a kid he's one of the few people in the army that contemplates the consequences of fighting actual humans rather than just hordes of mindless soldiers.

This doesn't stop him or anyone else in the army from cheering like a psycho after every kill.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ricken and Henry's support is one of my favorites in the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I'm really trying to like you Lissa but HP only level ups are really getting annoying. On the plus side Cordelia didn't mention Chrom at all in her supports with Donny. :3: She knows her place in my group.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Second Seals: Level 10, or level 15 in a promoted class
Master Seals: Level 20, unless you used a Second Seal on the unit, then level 20
If you didn't do this it's fine, EXP is basically unlimited anyway

For stat-ups, just give them to units that are lacking in those areas, but I like to favorite Chrom and the Avatar a little since they're required

For marriage do whatever, the children will be god-tier no matter what you do. If you want to min-max your children then there's definitely resources for that but you can also just pair up whoever has the funniest supports

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean level 10 for using Master Seals after Second Seals? Level 10, Second Seal, hit level 10 again in your new class and immediately promote. You just want at least 20 levels in first tier classes before promotion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

You can use them to cover up weaknesses, but for some stats, it's better to use them on characters who are doing decent but not great. Going from 5 to 7 defense on a mid-level character means that they'll still die in two hits most likely, while going from 19 to 21 is a lot more likely to actually matter. Don't use them to boost a characters' best stats, though, because all stats have a maximum value that you're likely to reach during normal gameplay.

You should generally use Second Seals early on unpromoted and Master Seals as late as reasonable. The reason being, you don't learn any skills between 10 and 20 unpromoted, and promoting sets your class level to 21 with regards to experience gain no matter when you promoted. Second Seals let you change to a different promoted class at level 10, but all promoted classes learn a new skill at level 15.

Reclassing also incurs an experience penalty, but it is significantly smaller, especially if you reclass an unpromoted unit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think my Donnel is broken. For all that he's supposed to have amazing growths, his gains have been mediocre at best for me.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

theshim posted:

In all my runs of PoR and RD I have yet to have a good Boyd. Ever.

Boyd usually turned out godly for me in POR, usually having a killcount second only to Ike himself, while in RD he was usually decent to mediocre. In my last run of RD Boyd actually turned out pretty good... it's just that his competition was Nolan, who capped everything. :stare: That playthrough was the first time since my first one ever that Haar didn't have the highest killcount (he was still third-highest despite not even coming to the endgame).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Cythereal posted:

I think my Donnel is broken. For all that he's supposed to have amazing growths, his gains have been mediocre at best for me.

Second seal him ASAP. I second sealed him at level 15, and by level 7 as a fighter he capped everything 2 stats, I want to say HP and Res? He's a monster.

• Locked thread