Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Has there been any talk of a soundtrack release for either the original score or the awesome Riot Grrl tracks? I found a program that is supposed to be able to extract files out of Unity asset bundles, but it doesn't have a Mac version :argh:

(I suppose that's probably dangerously close to :filez:, too. But man, I'd buy either soundtrack in a heartbeat.)

e: found a blog post with 3 of the licensed tracks, and mentioning that they plan to release the original score for sale: http://thefullbrightcompany.com/2013/08/14/the-music-of-gone-home/

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
This game made me start rewatching The X-files. Also, it was pretty great.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
:cry: oh my god this game.

I just beat it, what an incredible story.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

Accordion Man posted:

Its one of the tapes in the living room, in one of the lower cabinets.

Probably not necessary to spoiler any more as this seems like something easily found very early, but just in case..

I assume you are meaning the TV room? I searched everywhere in there, as well as the foyer, and really every room and didn't find squat. The game does have some weird clipping problems so could have fallen through the floor. Screenshot?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mutation posted:

Y'know. If whoever in Fullbright wrote this game decided to write a series of novels about Lonnie D. and Sam, I would read the hell out of them.

Actually, I'm bummed out that this world is probably done with. There's no way they could do a Gone Home 2 without looking like complete hacks about it, and if they're going to do something else entirely different gameplay wise, they probably wouldn't revisit this story. Muuuuh, why does shlock like Uncharted last forever while a game like this is encapsulated in a single, brief experience?

I'm kind of the opposite. I'd love to see them double down on this style of gameplay and tell an entirely different story. As far as I'm concerned, Gone Home told the story it needed to, and didn't need to tell any more.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Its a good thing that the game is an entirely stand-alone game with a satisfying ending. Way too many games never do that and just throw in crappy sequel hooks even if there is no chance of getting one. I would definitely love another game in a similar vein but with an entirely different story too.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah, this doesn't need a sequel. But it's a testament to the quality of the writing that they crafted characters I care enough about where I'd be super loving stoked to digest more material about the world. And I'm not the kind of guy who ever gave a poo poo about those Halo/Mass Effect/Dragon Age novels.

As for a game by them with similar mechanics that I'd be excited for, a detective/crime investigation game would be excellent. Or hell, an archeology game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mutation posted:

Or hell, an archeology game.

The cool thing about Gone Home is that it's already an archaeology game. But I bet you could use its format to tell a really interesting and personal story about a family that lived 500, or 1000, or 2500 years ago using some of the same gameplay lexicon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just use your imagination. Sam and Lonnie are only a couple of years older than I am, so that's not too hard for me. I just look at Facebook and see what the people I used to go to high school with are up to nowadays. Judging by that, they've probably got a kid or two by now and do absolutely nothing but post picture after picture after picture of them all day every day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My feeling on Gone Home is that the story ended right where it needed to, although I wouldn't object to a sequel later on down the line. I don't think that will ever happen, though, and good stories are meant to leave you wondering what becomes of their characters. If Fullbright Co. made Gone Home 2 I think it would have to be set far in the future, like twenty or so years, so that the player would still have to piece together what happened to the Greenbriars within the intervening years. Very much looking forward to the next Fullbright Company projecy to see where they can go from here.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They could just wait twenty years until 2013 is retro and then make a game about that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So I tried playing, and it was going ok, I was enjoying reading all the bits of information and journals and stuff. Still a bit anxious and always rushing to turn lights on but I was dealing with it.

Then I turned a corner, saw a dim red light and a second later my house lost power, all the lights went off, my computer blinked off and I almost poo poo myself.

I lost like an hour of progress too, I don't really feel like going through all that stuff again. Does it actually affect anything to have all these journals, gameplay wise, or is it just so you can recheck them later.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So I tried playing, and it was going ok, I was enjoying reading all the bits of information and journals and stuff. Still a bit anxious and always rushing to turn lights on but I was dealing with it.

Then I turned a corner, saw a dim red light and a second later my house lost power, all the lights went off, my computer blinked off and I almost poo poo myself.

Goddammit.

No, that's cool. It's supposed to do that.

It's a really immersive game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Phylodox posted:

They could just wait twenty years until 2013 is retro and then make a game about that.

These days when I want to know how my 35-year-old sister and her wife are doing I usually just give ER a call.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Al! posted:

These days when I want to know how my 35-year-old sister and her wife are doing I usually just give ER a call.

There would be a storm of course.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Any similar games set after Gone Home would require some contrivance to explain why you couldn't just look it all up on your cell phone.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

In a few years they can reboot Gone Home as a modern game with the same story. Instead of a note on a door it's a goodbye text and then the rest of the game is browsing your sister's tumblr to find out what happened.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Like everybody else, this game really resonated with me. I think that's possible because one can connect to this game on so many different levels. Nostalgia, family, personal experiences, and just expectations in video games in general.

There is also so much humanity in this game. Its not that other games don't have any quality of realness or fulfillment in them, its just no game goes to the level Gone Home does. Its not unique to have an incredibly detailed environment, but the sheer fact that it is one that at least I can connect and relate to speaks volumes to the quality of the game. It only helps that the main story the game tells is incredibly touching, despite the fact that I predicted that Sam was a lesbian by the third diary entry (the gold star one). Plus its good to see a game that writes a teenager well. No matter what skin color, sexuality, class or gender one is, I think there is some element to Sam's story that you can relate to.

Miscellaneous moments off the top of my head that I loved

All the sexual things Kate finds while looking through the house. And her reactions

Hand written movesets for Street Fighter Two. Plus Danny's mom calling them Nintendo Tapes

All the VHS recordings of shows and TV guide

The amazing cover art of Terry's novels. All of them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Useless Shotgun posted:

The amazing cover art of Terry's novels. All of them.

The art for the republished books were especially great.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone looking to clear out the journal, the ones I just tracked down were:

- The Nunnery, under a folder near the couch in the east wing entry hallway.
- Just Gone, the hat hanging off the bike in the garage.
- Dedication, a crumpled piece of paper behind a secret panel in the end of a hallway near the dining room.

The Nunnery is very sad, and casts a different light on the ending.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

- The Nunnery, under a folder near the couch in the east wing entry hallway.
- Just Gone, the hat hanging off the bike in the garage.
- Dedication, a crumpled piece of paper behind a secret panel in the end of a hallway near the dining room.

Another one commonly skipped is 'Daniel' which is surprisingly easy to miss on the edge of the kitchen table. It really shines a different light on the daniel/sam relationship. All the "He's so weird!" from Sam is just the usual teenage bullshit and he's actually a pretty good friend :unsmith:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Between that entry and the TV Guide clipping you find underneath the folder, I thought Sam felt like her parents were considering sending her to an ex-gay camp instead of Reed College for the summer.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cbirdsong posted:

Not totally, what I got from it is that's what Sam saw as the worst case scenario. Ultimately I don't think that will happen, I can see Terry and Jan accept it eventually, Katie is most likely on Sam's side too and would never let that happen.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Oh whoops, Carol's 2nd letter says "night out" and for some reason I misread that as a one night stand. I guess there's a possibility that Rick and the mom had nothing romantic going on.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Oh whoops, Carol's 2nd letter says "night out" and for some reason I misread that as a one night stand. I guess there's a possibility that Rick and the mom had nothing romantic going on.

I dunno, there is a condom inside one of the drawers in the parents room. That makes me think there was something going on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I dunno, there is a condom inside one of the drawers in the parents room. That makes me think there was something going on.

:ssh: Married couples can use condoms too

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not even sure how I heard about this game, but around an hour ago I somehow learned that it featured the music of both Bratmobile and Heavens to Betsy, and after making sure that my lovely old PC would run it bought it practically blind. I've only had a chance to play about 20 minutes now, so I'm backing out of the thread, but god drat: This is the game I had no idea I wanted!

e:
ahahaha holy poo poo the fact that Dennis "Corin Tucker's Stalker" Farrell is the one to review it for the front page is extra, super amazing. I think maybe he's biased towards the game because of the music.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 18, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I finished the game in just over 2 hours, all in one sitting. I really, really enjoyed it, and I'm glad that so many other people are too!

The whole Oscar/Terry abuse situation completely flew over my head. Reading the article linked in the thread, it absolutely makes sense, but I just didn't piece it together. I didn't find a couple of the clippings and I didn't open the safe, despite seeing 1963 no less than 500 times all over the house. I even tried 1965 on the filing cabinet, and then forgot about it afterwards.

I really don't think this game needs a sequel, at all. I just don't think we need any more information.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 18, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I didn't find all of the letters but my impression from what I did read was that she was misreading Ranger Rick

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dear Fullbright: please patch this game so I can put the cassette tapes back in their boxes. Thanks.

edit: Actually instead please patch the game so that every 1/100 copies has a spectral entity that stalks the player throughout the house.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 18, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Sankis posted:

I didn't find all of the letters but my impression from what I did read was that she was misreading Ranger Rick

I think it can be seen both ways, but the fact that she was invited to his wedding makes me think she was misreading him. Who cheats on their fiance and then invites their mistress to their wedding? I think that once she got the invite, she knew that she was looking for something that wasn't there.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

the black husserl posted:

Dear Fullbright: please patch this game so I can put the cassette tapes back in their boxes. Thanks.

edit: Actually instead please patch the game so that every 1/100 copies has a spectral entity that stalks the player throughout the house.

According to the Twitter, the first patch will involve fixing the dice, so the numbers are displayed on the correct sides.

This company is crazy, but it's the kind of crazy I love.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OmniDesol posted:

According to the Twitter, the first patch will involve fixing the dice, so the numbers are displayed on the correct sides.

This company is crazy, but it's the kind of crazy I love.

That's amazing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mondlicht posted:

I think it can be seen both ways, but the fact that she was invited to his wedding makes me think she was misreading him. Who cheats on their fiance and then invites their mistress to their wedding? I think that once she got the invite, she knew that she was looking for something that wasn't there.

I don't think you can read too much into the wedding invitation. Jan was Rick's boss in a small team, had promoted him to a job he wanted, and it seems like they at the very least had an open friendship. Of course she was getting invited to the wedding, affair or no. It'd stick out as weird to everybody involved if she weren't.

I guess I'm agnostic on if they actually had sex or not, but it doesn't really matter, does it? Jan had, at the very least, an emotional affair while her husband was suffering from depression.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 18, 2013

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
The most convincing evidence for an affair is the matchbook hidden somewhere in Jan and Terry's bedroom that says something to the effect of "Meet you at 8 -Rick". Even still, it could have been just a night out at the bar with a friend. I actually really like that they were ambiguous if Rick and Jan had an affair. To me that was a realistic touch and it forces the player to mistrust the mother and never really figure out if the mistrust was correctly placed.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My only complaint about the game is that the Mom feels under developed. Sam is the center of the story. The Dad has the whole side plot with his book and past with his uncle. While the Mom had the maybe-affair and...that's it. While the daughter and father feel completely fleshed out I really don't feel like I've learned anything about the Mom beyond the affair and the fact that she has way too many hobbies.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That's part of Jan's story, though, no? Jan has been taking on more responsibilities at work, which is super far away. For whatever reason, we don't know if it's work demands or Rick or just trying to avoid Terry in a really dark time, she hasn't been spending as much time in the house as the other two people. The house has fewer artifacts of hers because she spends a lot less time there than the other two people: Terry is there basically 24/7, Sam is a high schooler with a lot of time on her hands, and Jan is just away a lot.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Well, I have two things to nitpick I guess. Not even nitpick I guess, just something I'm thinking out loud about that you guys can criticize me for.

1.) If the father was really molested by his uncle in that house, why the hell would he ever move there (let alone even return to that place)? You think that sort of thing would be too traumatic when actual people with actual trauma have a hard time even returning to the towns their trauma took place in.

Heck, how lovely is the father's life? Childhood trauma, horrible father, failed dreams, failing marriage, runaway daughter. Like jeeeeez writer, could you dump on him more?

2.) I don't know if I actually liked the "Subverting Player Expectations" element of the game. It seems like every "Citizen Kane: The Game" does this, and it always feels like it's a big dumb metajoke. Ho ho! It wasn't a horror game afterall! How clever! And yeah, maybe you can call it clever when it's something like Bioshock and all you're doing is shooting some mutant in a creative setting, but the story here feels above all that (and when in the back of your mind you're wondering if the game is going to drop the other shoe, it kinda detracts from it.)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 18, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mutation posted:

Well, I have two things to nitpick I guess. Not even nitpick I guess, just something I'm thinking out loud about that you guys can criticize me for.

Heck, how lovely is the father's life? Childhood trauma, horrible father, failed dreams, failing marriage, runaway daughter. Like jeeeeez writer, could you dump on him more?

These things are all pretty common, though. There's meant to be a mirror there, where Terry has all this poo poo that he's trying to fix from his past (and as we can see, still has plenty of hope in his future), whereas Sam is still young and is at her own crossroads where she can have the chance to change things. Terry writes books about going back and changing his past, because it's what he can't do. Sam, meanwhile, has nothing but her future ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mutation posted:

1.) If the father was really molested by his uncle in that house, why the hell would he ever move there (let alone even return to that place)? You think that sort of thing would be too traumatic when actual people with actual trauma have a hard time even returning to the towns their trauma took place in.

The question of "why did they move into this big, strange house instead of just selling it?" is an interesting one, and not a question that the game attempts to answer directly, as far as I can discover.

I assumed the family is not incredibly well off (Dad's a failed novelist, writing AV gear reviews and mom's a forest services employee -- most likely her income is supporting them), perhaps the big house was an upgrade, perhaps Terry never speaks of his childhood and couldn't articulate a reason to not move into the house he inherited, or maybe it's an attempt (possibly failed) to fight the demons of his past.

I suspect at some point, too many plot threads would just clutter and confuse...

• Locked thread