Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antidox
Sep 2, 2006
A
Does anyone have any technique advice for dominating high level cops? Me and another mastermind were playing last night and just kept getting shot lots while both shouting at a single wounded cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Antidox posted:

Does anyone have any technique advice for dominating high level cops? Me and another mastermind were playing last night and just kept getting shot lots while both shouting at a single wounded cop.

The two big things is to dominate while no other police are around, and dominate after wounding. If you're doing those two things you guys were just having bad luck, Dominator is still really RNG based so sometimes you can dominate 5 FBI elites in one mission while the next you can't even get the rent-a-cops to sit down.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Playing this with goons has been amazing so far. It seems like everybody is really good, everybody wants to work as a team so there are no heroes getting us all killed, people coordinate without having to communicate too much, but even so everybody's in Mumble so everybody is communicating really well. It's always easy to find a friendly, skilled group. It's incredible. I can't think of a better way to play this game.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Coolguye posted:

The two big things is to dominate while no other police are around, and dominate after wounding. If you're doing those two things you guys were just having bad luck, Dominator is still really RNG based so sometimes you can dominate 5 FBI elites in one mission while the next you can't even get the rent-a-cops to sit down.

Yeah, you can sometimes have a lone guy beaten to within an inch of his life, where one more melee or shot in the foot will kill him, and he still won't stand down. Other times you'll hit a tan SWAT in the back of the leg once and he'll throw his hands up. It's pretty random, but I kind of like it this way because it makes the police feel a little bit like actual differentiated humans with personalities rather than just a mass of mindless zombies who know how to fire guns.

It doesn't take much to give me that feeling of immersion, apparently.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LuiCypher posted:

You do know that DC has a National Guard Armory, right?

I can see it right now!

Clearly the seven day heist will be for something huge.
Like heisting the WH.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Lets go full National Treasure and steal the Decleration of Independece. The secret turns out to be some old masonic treasure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Acquire Currency! posted:

Like heisting the WH.

It's going to be like the safe room from PD1, except we're going to airlift the entire Oval Office... with the president in it!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Saints Row / payday crossover DLC

Could be interesting.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's going to be like the safe room from PD1, except we're going to airlift the entire Oval Office... with the president in it!

I want this so bad.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
For any dedicated saw Enforcers out there, Aced Berserker applies to the saw, even when you're cutting locks. It's great for anyone who does bank safe deposit boxes routinely; with berserker active (<40% health), you one-tap the saw to pop each deposit box.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Brainamp posted:

I thought they had patched that out. I'm glad they didn't.
Our truck blew right the gently caress up on a pro job and it took everyone out but me. I hit the ground running, getting behind cover ASAP and flanking the shields, when all of a sudden my team was all "oh gently caress what happened why am I dead"

The coke landed all the way out in the middle of some cop spawn points (it looked like two bags, but it was actually like seven stacked on top of one another on the exact same spot, so that might be something Overkill could address), but we somehow managed to drag it back to the holdout spot. Did they make the getaway van (no armor) hardier? We accidentally loaded all the coke in the middle of an assault and it stayed alive for at least a minute while I told my crew "Nah it'll probably die--huh, it's still alive? Actually gently caress it, chance 'em," and then all the time it took us to run down there while popping cops and getting into the escape zone.

As far as heists I'd like to see goes, I can't say I'm too picky or even sure what I'd enjoy doing, but maybe intercepting a weapons shipment at an airport, sneaking past security, all that kinda poo poo, maybe needing a Smooth Talker to hijack an air control tower. That sounds like it could be satisfying.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's plenty of stuff to do, including re-creating the first game's heists.

I'd like:
-Another high-rise heist of some sort.
-A running street fight like Heat Street. The initial hit from the movie Payback would be pretty cool.
-At least one more Watchdogs-style clusterfuck firefight with a competitive payoff to the stealth stuff so people don't balk at anything that isn't a c4/saw smash-n-grab.

I wonder what the engine is capable of? The maps seem very small this goaround. They still using that hosed up ancient "Diesel" engine? Too bad Starbreeze got them in the middle of development; could you imagine if they had some of the graphic design expertize behind the Riddick/Syndicate games and that engine?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 18, 2013

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Like heisting the WH.

I can already hear Bain tell me we are going after Lincoln's gold.

Achievement: Four scored seven days

Durendal posted:

Lets go full National Treasure and steal the Decleration of Independece. The secret turns out to be some old masonic treasure.

This could tie into the Bain guide pictures. Just how im not sure.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Fabricated posted:

I wonder what the engine is capable of? The maps seem very small this goaround. They still using that hosed up ancient "Diesel" engine? Too bad Starbreeze got them in the middle of development; could you imagine if they had some of the graphic design expertize behind the Riddick/Syndicate games and that engine?

Even the "Escape from the cops" levels that give you whole city blocks? I never played the original.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

They still using that hosed up ancient "Diesel" engine?

Yup, same engine that powered the rather awesome Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and the not so awesome reboot of Bionic Commando.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

Holy Calamity! posted:

Even the "Escape from the cops" levels that give you whole city blocks? I never played the original.

Payday 1's Heat Street level definitely felt fairly large, but I wouldn't really call the rest of them particularly big compared to Payday 2's large maps (thinking of Big Oil day 2 in particular).

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Did they make the getaway van (no armor) hardier? We accidentally loaded all the coke in the middle of an assault and it stayed alive for at least a minute while I told my crew "Nah it'll probably die--huh, it's still alive? Actually gently caress it, chance 'em," and then all the time it took us to run down there while popping cops and getting into the escape zone.

You can buy an asset that will make it pretty tough, I haven't failed getting a group to it with that asset. You should be able to see armored plates and stuff on it though if the host bought that.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ParanoidInc posted:

You can buy an asset that will make it pretty tough, I haven't failed getting a group to it with that asset. You should be able to see armored plates and stuff on it though if the host bought that.

Yeah, but back in Beta it did something to the effect of jack poo poo. You'd still have to be there within 20 seconds, armor or no. I guess they've fixed that since.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
20 seconds sounds about right. But it's not a guarantee. If you attract enough attention towards you, the driver might last much longer, even if you're not directly trying to keep him alive.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Plus: Did you know that the truck on Watchdogs 1 can blow up, taking the people near it and half the coke with it? True story that we found out the hard way.
I guess that is what the achievement is for.

Antidox posted:

Tell your group you want to Dominate. LMB and endlessly spam F. If you get close, be sure to shoot once and melee after each shout. They have dialog when they surrender. Shout more so they invisible zip tie and are ready to convert. Try not to convert near a group in case you have to pixel hunt for the convert process and get shot.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The armored car definitely seems like it can take a lot more damage than it did in Beta. I think I've seen it die once and that was when it had about 2-3 packs of cops and a bulldozer shooting at it. Most of the time I think it's going to die is when you have to take the coke bags to the walkway dropoff.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Liberatore posted:

20 seconds sounds about right. But it's not a guarantee. If you attract enough attention towards you, the driver might last much longer, even if you're not directly trying to keep him alive.

I think he's had a bit of a buff to his survivability, while playing today we left him alone for the better part of a minute and he was absolutely fine

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Tell your group you want to Dominate. LMB and endlessly spam F. If you get close, be sure to shoot once and melee after each shout. They have dialog when they surrender. Shout more so they invisible zip tie and are ready to convert. Try not to convert near a group in case you have to pixel hunt for the convert process and get shot.

Does it matter if you shoot at their general direction or do you have to hit them? If you do need to hit them, using lower powered weapons or just going for bodyshots seems like the the ideal way to go about dominating cops.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is the M308 a decent weapon? I'm thinking of switching to it from the CAR-4 and getting the single shot perk from the technician tree.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This is sold out everywhere, is there an Xbox metatag or group or something?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Is the M308 a decent weapon? I'm thinking of switching to it from the CAR-4 and getting the single shot perk from the technician tree.

I've been using the CAR-4 for closer range maps, and the 308 for longer range. It can take an armored FBI swat out in one shot.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The M308 is awesome. It and the double-barreled shotgun have similar range, damage, and accuracy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mushball posted:

Does it matter if you shoot at their general direction or do you have to hit them? If you do need to hit them, using lower powered weapons or just going for bodyshots seems like the the ideal way to go about dominating cops.
I think the more damage you do to them, the better your small chance gets. I saw guys surrender just from taking a long range shot from a Rein and others get several pistol whips and keep going until dead. Think of them like those uppity civvies running into your bullets.

What causes the seemingly random slowdown when you put your mask on?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The CAR4 is the definition of mediocre. It's not going to do anything really well, especially at higher difficulties, but it doesn't do anything really wrong either. It has middling damage and very low recoil while boasting a healthy ammunition count. The M308, on the other hand, is a fantastic weapon with great range, fire rate, a relatively quick reload and it's one of the best weapons to have when you're activating Bullet Storm. I would highly suggest you gradually move away from the CAR4 if you're looking to do tougher heists. I'm sure a few of your are like "I use the CAR4 all the time on Overkill!" well, let's be honest, you'd be a lot more useful if you were using an AMR-16, 7.62, M308 or Mosconi.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm looking forward to the Doom gun, but I haven't unlocked it yet and this makes no sense to me. Does it fire slugs or something, or is it just that overpowered?

The Mosconi is absolutely not overpowered, but, no it doesn't fire slugs. Just a really tight cone of fire. Even with the shotgun reload speed skill you're still looking at a full second of downtime between reloads which means if you miss a shot or reload at the wrong time and you're not immediately able to take cover: you're going down.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 18, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Brainamp posted:

The M308 is awesome. It and the double-barreled shotgun have similar range, damage, and accuracy.

I'm looking forward to the Doom gun, but I haven't unlocked it yet and this makes no sense to me. Does it fire slugs or something, or is it just that overpowered?

Also, what's up with the slow motion when you go down? How does that even work, for players who aren't experiencing the slowdown?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mushball posted:

Generally you have to at least knock them down before they will surrender, so you have to do *some* damage. The more damage you do, the higher the chances.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Generally that happens if there is someone that you should be trying to take out (a guard saw you or something) so that it gives you time to react before they turn around and instantly cuff you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think it triggers when you put your mask on within aggro range of a guard, to give you an extra bit of wiggle room to shoot him before he shoots back/reports in/whatever.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pharmaskittle posted:

The shotguns, mainly the mosconi, outside the automatic are just that broken.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're talking about the 2-shot (Mosconi), it's really really strong. It's got a wicked range for a shotgun (or a good spread, I haven't gotten any mods for it yet so I can't comment on that front) and it can pop helmets without many issues. Even the tan armor cops can't stand up to it as long as you aim in the vicinity of their head. The only problem is that if you don't have cover the reload time will probably get you killed, but honestly how often is that a problem? There's usually enough cover around to reload and then kill 2-4 more people.

If you're an enforcer, there's really zero reason to use anything else. Take a pistol if you need long long range but even then you're probably better served by a Mosconi/Lokomotiv combo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm trying to put together a group for an Overkill/Pro bank heist, come on in you people.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ItsSafeNow/
:getin:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Pharmaskittle posted:

Also, what's up with the slow motion when you go down? How does that even work, for players who aren't experiencing the slowdown?

Only thing I can think of is that the players aren't entirely in sync with one another, each sees a slightly different variation and only bigger things like an enemy's general location and health are kept in sync. I've seen a few times where a player's model doesn't exactly fit on my end where they are on their end, or a body lands in a completely different spot than for someone else. I imagine a lot is just client side, though I'm not sure.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Fire Starter Day 3, largest sum yet.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Probably a super dumb question here, but im like level 22 now, and still have like 10 unspent skill points. Money is a massive bottleneck for me, so should I just go ahead and buy some low level skills from the other trees for the time being? Stuff like moving faster while carrying bags, better assault rifle zoom etc. Not like losing 50% of 12k is going to really break me should I respec them. Ive been going Mastermind so far, but put a point in Enforcer to take extra ammo, because ammo seems so crucial. I mean the Joker skill sounds fun (but im a bit dubious that it will be worth it), but im several hundred grand away from it.

How is the .308? I feel like it would really suit me, but only 40 ammo sounds brutal. Im already using the revolver which I like as a secondary.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It seems like the game really hesitates on breaking the one million spending cash mark, even for huge heists. Getting 945k back on 18 million is only %0.052 return on the cash you heisted :psyduck:

E. It is probably just in my head. It just seems like you get really close to $1m but never quite break it for a large variety of missions with different payouts, I thought it was scaling it weird.

Lakedaimon posted:

Probably a super dumb question here, but im like level 22 now, and still have like 10 unspent skill points. Money is a massive bottleneck for me, so should I just go ahead and buy some low level skills from the other trees for the time being? Stuff like moving faster while carrying bags, better assault rifle zoom etc. Not like losing 50% of 12k is going to really break me should I respec them. Ive been going Mastermind so far, but put a point in Enforcer to take extra ammo, because ammo seems so crucial. I mean the Joker skill sounds fun (but im a bit dubious that it will be worth it), but im several hundred grand away from it.

How is the .308? I feel like it would really suit me, but only 40 ammo sounds brutal. Im already using the revolver which I like as a secondary.

Sure, it's a good idea to get the ammo bag and the transporter skill aced from the Enforcer tree, no matter who you are. Besides those you can either branch out more or just horde them all until you run a few high level jobs and have more money than you could ever want.

E. And it's great as long as you can get consistent headshots with it. I would hold off until you get a decent scope, but that's just me.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Lakedaimon posted:

Nah, just keep saving, and jump in some goon groups where you'll learn the ropes and get carried and poo poo. It's fine as long as you can left click.

• Locked thread