Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selane
May 19, 2006

Studio posted:

So they're doing game suggestions for AGDQ.
The very tentative games list

The very slow loading SDA topic

Got HL2 in :toot:

Ahahaha can't wait to see Drakkhen, truly a game worthy of awful games done quick.

Also if they're going to have seventeen Zelda games you'd think they could at least put in LTTP for a little variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Studio posted:

So they're doing game suggestions for AGDQ.
The very tentative games list

The very slow loading SDA topic

Got HL2 in :toot:

HL AND Halo right after.

Good time as any to get some sleep. :v:

Good to see Klaige there, dudes been wanting to go for ages.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Selane posted:

Ahahaha can't wait to see Drakkhen, truly a game worthy of awful games done quick.

Also if they're going to have seventeen Zelda games you'd think they could at least put in LTTP for a little variety.

Nobody's offered it yet.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

It's only brainstorming, I don't think they're really going do a full day of Zelda games. Or at least I hope not, that would be terrible planning.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
S is on End of the Line, he's almost done!!

Edit: Done, new WR! :v:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
17 hours, 9 minutes. He did it. :monocle:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alteisen posted:

HL AND Halo right after.

The list is alphabetical :ssh:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Selane posted:

This list is, so far, about 9 hours of people being able to suggest games. If a game could be a good fit, it has been added. This list isn't being made up from someone, it's being taken from runners themselves suggesting the games. Suggestions should be open for at least a week.

For Link to the Past, it has been done in just about every marathon, and as of right now there's not a ton of new stuff since SGDQ. I personally think it is one of those games that deserves to be in every marathon (if it has a good runner) but it has a pretty low shot for AGDQ 2014.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Alteisen posted:

HL AND Halo right after.

Good to see Klaige there, dudes been wanting to go for ages.

Reminder to everyone this is a VERY rough games list. Expect at least a couple rounds of cuts, followed by bitching on twitter.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Every single Final Fantasy has been rejected so far, including puwexil offering FF7 and Caracarn offering FFs. :stare:

I offered Suikoden and Suikoden II and they have a 0% chance of getting in, if FFs can't get in.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

gently caress Final Fantasy Runs :twisted:

e: vv I absolutely did not!

hitze fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 18, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hitze posted:

gently caress Final Fantasy Runs :twisted:

Were you watching the same FF4 run I was during SGDQ? That poo poo was insane

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
24 hours of Zelda making the initial list is only offensive to me because a ton of great stuff has been rejected because of reasons like "This doesn't offer anything new over the run of it at last AGDQ", "Not enough donation incentives", and "I'm not sure if it has an audience". You could make the case that every game on that last is distinctly out of those categories, but some of the "staples" of the marathon seem so done to death.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Brett824 posted:

24 hours of Zelda making the initial list is only offensive to me because a ton of great stuff has been rejected because of reasons like "This doesn't offer anything new over the run of it at last AGDQ", "Not enough donation incentives", and "I'm not sure if it has an audience". You could make the case that every game on that last is distinctly out of those categories, but some of the "staples" of the marathon seem so done to death.

It's why I get tired of some of these events because you always see SM64/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Metroid in them. I understand there's big names playing them and donation incentives but come on. I'd rather see a donation incentive to have big name speedrunners play Mario Party minigames or Mario Kart.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I sincerely doubt all of those Zelda games will get in. They probably just want to send them all past the first cut and then decide which one(s) to keep.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

CVagts posted:

I sincerely doubt all of those Zelda games will get in. They probably just want to send them all past the first cut and then decide which one(s) to keep.

I understand that, that's why I'm more upset about things that would be awesome and I think would be successful not even making the first cut.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Dizz posted:

It's why I get tired of some of these events because you always see SM64/Zelda/Final Fantasy/Metroid in them. I understand there's big names playing them and donation incentives but come on. I'd rather see a donation incentive to have big name speedrunners play Mario Party minigames or Mario Kart.

Super Metroid deserves to be in every marathon, because there's constantly new strats being developed (which is insane to think of for an almost 20 year old game) and it has a few good natural donation options (type of run, kill/save the animals).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Super Metroid should really be in every marathon if only because kill/save the animals is consistently by far the largest bid war in everything it's in.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Brett824 posted:

I understand that, that's why I'm more upset about things that would be awesome and I think would be successful not even making the first cut.

Yeah I agree. Like I said I offered an RPG that I've been running for 4-5 months, people seem to love the game and appreciate my commentary. I'm going to be soundly disappointed if/when it doesn't make the first cut, just because it feels like they're boxing out a lot of would-be good runs. And I know Final Fantasies are long, but it just seems shocking to shut them down, unless the plan is to get incentive-heavy RPGs that are shorter.

And agreed with Super Metroid, that game should be in every marathon, just because of the animals donation war.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

Super Metroid should really be in every marathon if only because kill/save the animals is consistently by far the largest bid war in everything it's in.

I think Kill/Save the animals brought in more money than all the FF stuff combined at SGDQ13

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The way Uyama writes responses make it sound like his knowledge of the game is the deciding factor. I know he consults people, but sometimes it seems really iffy.

The Zeldas are all on since they're all possible marathon runs, but there's no way in hell there will be 23 hours of Zeldas.

Edit: Also the only Zelda that should go in from the 3Ds is Skyward Sword and random shorter OOT. Don't know if Bingo is solid since it will confuse most people (since traffic is mostly new comers).

Edit2: And TriHex probably shouldn't play Yoshi's Island.

Studio fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 18, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That schedule seems incredibly underwhelming. I hope a GTA sneaks in there but I'm guessing since all the main runners aren't Americans they might not for sure know their availability.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Studio posted:

Edit2: And TriHex probably shouldn't play Yoshi's Island.

Uh excuse me but trihex is going to have the world record by october

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Trihex has been practicing pretty hard. I know he hasn't done a lot of runs lately, but I'm pretty sure he'll be ready for AGDQ.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

As someone that only watches speed running during the marathons Trihex seems like an entertaining guy that would bring in viewers and donations. Should he not be running because he doesn't have the record or because of something else?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

skyliner posted:

As someone that only watches speed running during the marathons Trihex seems like an entertaining guy that would bring in viewers and donations. Should he not be running because he doesn't have the record or because of something else?

He's not very good at the game compared to some of the other runners.

CVagts posted:

Trihex has been practicing pretty hard. I know he hasn't done a lot of runs lately, but I'm pretty sure he'll be ready for AGDQ.

He has to make sure he gets his priorities straight. Which is weird to say, but last time he grinded hard he ended up going to Cali for a month, losing a lot of what he learned, and going back to the grind. He can put on a good run, but at the same time he can play stepmania for 4 hours and tout fake real talk.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Honestly, Trihex is still THE YI "personality" despite him being pretty behind at this point. Especially with him being ostensibly committed to grinding at this point, I can't imagine not giving him the run. Maybe the #yoshi community has a problem with it or something, but I can't even imagine that's the case.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, Trihex got a lot of "fame" because he did that run during the first AGDQ and it was the first time a lot of people saw YI's in that light with the crazy tricks and showboating. I think at the time he was also in a constant fight for the WR but from what others have said here other runners have caught up to and passed him and I guess they want to see some of those guys get a show but Trihex is a fixture at these things so I see why he was given the run and don't really have an issue with it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why is SDA loading so friggin slow...

And yea, a lot of Uyama's dismissal just come off as strange sometimes, doesn't help that the runners that are his close friends always get their games in.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Suikoden got rejected but the reasoning made sense to me. Lots of RPGs and not a lot of RPG slots to fill.

The only game on the first-cut schedule that I have a gripe with (that I've heard of) is Minecraft. I don't think it's a good speedrun game at all.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea, Trihex got a lot of "fame" because he did that run during the first AGDQ and it was the first time a lot of people saw YI's in that light with the crazy tricks and showboating. I think at the time he was also in a constant fight for the WR but from what others have said here other runners have caught up to and passed him and I guess they want to see some of those guys get a show but Trihex is a fixture at these things so I see why he was given the run and don't really have an issue with it.

Carl_Sagan42 ran the game at last AGDQ and the run featured just as much showboating (not to mention it was around 20 minutes faster than any of Trihex's showings at marathons), so I don't see why Trihex would be a "fixture" for the game. In the end the result will be pleasing to the crowd since Yossy is an extremely technical and fun game to watch, but Trihex claiming he will have a 2:36:xx 100% time in two months when his run at SRG was about 4 hours is too optimistic.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CVagts posted:

The only game on the first-cut schedule that I have a gripe with (that I've heard of) is Minecraft. I don't think it's a good speedrun game at all.
I think if ever there was a single game that will get casual eyeballs onto a speedrun marathon stream, it's Minecraft. "Ender Dragon in 35 minutes", et cetera.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CVagts posted:

Suikoden got rejected but the reasoning made sense to me. Lots of RPGs and not a lot of RPG slots to fill.

Minecraft can be speedran?

Also he rejected Guacamelee for being to new but Ducktales Remastered is on this first draft. To new my rear end.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Ducktales Remastered is not entertaining to watch

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Uznare posted:

Carl_Sagan42 ran the game at last AGDQ and the run featured just as much showboating (not to mention it was around 20 minutes faster than any of Trihex's showings at marathons), so I don't see why Trihex would be a "fixture" for the game. In the end the result will be pleasing to the crowd since Yossy is an extremely technical and fun game to watch, but Trihex claiming he will have a 2:36:xx 100% time in two months when his run at SRG was about 4 hours is too optimistic.

I don't know why you're so defensive but that wasn't me putting Trihex on a pedestal, just explaining at least part of why he was given another go at YI. I also never said he was a fixture of the game, I said he was a fixture of the marathons and he is, every bit as recognizable as anyone else there if not more so.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I get "Binding of Isaac in AGDQ" flashbacks when I think about Minecraft at AGDQ '14. Maybe I'm mistaken, though.

I think about 30 people have offered Ducktales Remastered. I'd almost be willing to bet real money that in three months, at least 2/3 of them will back out and not want to run the game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

e:fb
I imagine a Minecraft speedrun turning out worse than Binding of Issac.
If Yoshi's Island makes it to AGDQ will it have egg glitch?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 18, 2013

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

hitze posted:

Ducktales Remastered is not entertaining to watch

Good music though

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

CVagts posted:

I get "Binding of Isaac in AGDQ" flashbacks when I think about Minecraft at AGDQ '14. Maybe I'm mistaken, though.
The speedrun uses a specific seed so there's not as much randomness as BoI but it can probably still end up being just as much of a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Alteisen posted:

Why is SDA loading so friggin slow...

And yea, a lot of Uyama's dismissal just come off as strange sometimes, doesn't help that the runners that are his close friends always get their games in.

I haven't paid any attention to the whole AGDQ Games Topic thing because I knew poo poo like this was going to be said, but it's worthwhile to point out that Uyama shot down puwexil's FF game despite him being both a good friend and also SDA staff. Really, though, I don't think a lot of folks appreciate how tough it is to make these decisions, and making snarky accusations of nepotism is really unfair, especially when he also goes out of his way to feature the big names from SRL and make sure that their site gets its fair share of plugs, too.

• Locked thread