Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Motherfucker posted:

The family seemed genuinely loving and non dysfunctional, it seemed like the sister bailing out with a complete stranger who she has a teenage boner for was romanticized when in my mind that doesn't seem right at all. Although possibly I just don't understand because I'm not gay and don't live in America. Or that I didn't pick up on something key, or perhaps the sister is older than I thought... But yeah...

Lonnie is hardly a complete stranger to Sam. They've been dating for something like seven months before the story takes place. It's young love sure, but it's hardly as rash as you make it out to be.

I loved the game. When the lights went out in the secret passage I quit to the desktop and couldn't turn it on until I found some kind of assurance that it wasn't a horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

When I first bought the game I had the sneaking suspicion that I was actually dead and visiting my family home one last time. I thought the talk about putting the ghost of the uncle to rest and the book on poltergeists was a red herring to make you think the ghostly disturbance was his, when in fact it was you, much like the movie "The Others".

Of course, this was wrong, but not in an unpleasant way.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I felt pretty nonplussed throughout the game, the feelings of fear or worry never really hitting me, I didn't know anyone in this game before I arrived at the house, how am I supposed to care that the house is empty if it was never really full in my mind at any stage?

Also as far as the 'focus' of the story, the sister's lesbianism and elopement. (is that a word? gently caress it) it didn't really strike me as an emotionally appropriate or reasonable response. The family seemed genuinely loving and non dysfunctional, it seemed like the sister bailing out with a complete stranger who she has a teenage boner for was romanticized when in my mind that doesn't seem right at all. Although possibly I just don't understand because I'm not gay and don't live in America. Or that I didn't pick up on something key, or perhaps the sister is older than I thought... But yeah...

This game simply primarily made me feel regret for the money I spent.

17 year olds don't make emotionally appropriate or reasonable responses. Especially not with their first love, a love that her parents outright denied was even happening when they learned about it. The time period plays into it as well, queerness was much less accepted and visible back then than it is now, much more of a 'dirty secret'.

I'm interested though. Out of the people here who really enjoyed it, how many are queer? The story strongly reflects the personal experiences of a lot of queer people, which is why I think it's hitting some people much harder than others.

Flashing Twelve fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 18, 2013

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Flashing Twelve posted:

I'm interested though. Out of the people here who really enjoyed it, how many are queer? The story strongly reflects the personal experiences of a lot of queer people, which is why I think it's hitting some people much harder than others.

Spoiler, I guess? I'm not queer, nor did anything directly like this happen with my siblings when we were in school. But I did have a sister who felt very isolated and ostracized with some of the family with her lifestyle and decision making. She was in the back of my mind as I thought my way through my personal reactions to the game. I also was thinking how I would react if I had a child/daughter (I have no kids, so this is even more speculative) come out and be in emotional straits like this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Flashing Twelve posted:

I am not LGBTQQ++ Omega Gayngster Edition, but I do work very closely with urban high school students who are and it's their perspectives combined with memories of my own childhood that really made Gone Home resonate with me. I get to see my students figure out things like school, first love, and rebelling against their parents on a daily basis. I thought about how closely some of Sam's audio logs were to conversations I've had with my own kids.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Just finished the game, what a great game. Besides all the great things that others have pointed out, I love how the objects in the house made sense for the most part, I esp. appreciated the note on the bulletin board that suggested how Katie likes to keep all the lights on in the house which is exactly what I did. :P

A question about the bells is there any secrets about them? Is there any significance in the fact that some of them don't really ring and the bell for the "library" is missing?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Flashing Twelve posted:

I loved it, but am neither gay nor female -- I did go to high school only a couple years ahead of Sam, and definitely related to the early-90s setting, the awkwardness of dealing with parents who don't understand, being a bit of an outcast at school and having some jerk screw up my locker to mess with me, etc. Overall, even if it didn't exactly match my experiences, it felt reasonably authentic (certainly I know a number of people who experienced some of the other facets of this story that don't directly relate to me), and besides that I enjoyed piecing together exactly what was up here (especially some of the more subtle secondary stories), and appreciated the overall atmosphere.

Something I love is storytelling through the environment -- Dishonored was a good example of this, in that there was a lot of stuff going on in the background if you took your time to poke through the books, listen to conversations, just explore the city a bit -- Gone Home dispenses with the foreground action, combat, and cutscenes, and just directly goes to environmental storytelling, and I'm completely cool with that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

lethial posted:

A question about the bells is there any secrets about them? Is there any significance in the fact that some of them don't really ring and the bell for the "library" is missing?

They are found in the servant's quarters, so I assume it's some "Assist me, I'm in the Library" calling system.

Alternatively, it could be an alarm system connected to the fact that they were smuggling booze.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

The room with the bells in it would have been the butler's room for the house.

If the butler was in that room and someone in the lounge wanted a cup of tea and a biscuit, the bell would be rung by wire all the way to that room. The butler would know where to look to appear and take orders. Servant's quarters were in the least desirable part of the house such as the attic or basement. The Groundsman would have lived in a little cottage or locally and the stable-boy would have lived in the stables themselves. I would love to live in a house that big.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

Flashing Twelve posted:

I have a transgender brother named Sam, so the game really resonated with me in that regard. My parents both for a while insisted it was a phase. They got over it, just as I hope Jan and Terry did.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I have a 1,4 Ghz laptop, but plenty of ram, do you think I would be able to run this game? It not being an action game means that I could live with some lag.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
So i assume that all the VCR's were missing because Sam took them to sell for quick cash

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
This is the first videogame I have ever played that I would feel comfortable defending as a legitimate artistic piece to other adults in real life. As someone who's been obsessively wasting my time on this garbage since I was 5 years old, it's really cheering. Also, the ending was the single most emotionally affective set piece I have ever come across in a videogame.

Seriously, this game has made me a happy man in so many ways.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Calico Noose posted:

So i assume that all the VCR's were missing because Sam took them to sell for quick cash

Yes, and also the dad writes electronic product reviews for a living, so it's possible a lot of the ones are just rentals that they have to mail back.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
So where now for The Fullbright company?

I'd be happy to play another similar game with a different story, maybe given the huge critical success of this and hopefully financially as well they could maybe broaden the idea to a whole area, maybe even a small street?

The idea of having a multitude of houses to rummage through is making me moist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The sequel to Gone Home will take place a decade later, wherein the events of June 7th 1995 have turned Katie into a meticulous burglar who breaks into homes and extorts the residents within for their family secrets.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

The sequel to Gone Home will take place a decade later, wherein the events of June 7th 1995 have turned Katie into a meticulous burglar who breaks into homes and extorts the residents within for their family secrets.
She also leaves all the lights on so the residents are forced to pay really high electric bills.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Mr_Wolf posted:

So where now for The Fullbright company?

I'd be happy to play another similar game with a different story, maybe given the huge critical success of this and hopefully financially as well they could maybe broaden the idea to a whole area, maybe even a small street?

The idea of having a multitude of houses to rummage through is making me moist.

It would be stunningly depressing if a company with this much ability just proceeded to pump out identikit sequels. I desperately hope they do something totally new instead.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The last thing most people involved in Fullbright did was work on Bioshock games. This kind of environmental storytelling can work across a whole range of settings and character stories and themes and atmospheres. It's not going to be another spooky house and a mystery. Kevin isn't going to get forgotten a second year in a row.

On the "are you a gay" question: yes, but I can't really relate to Sam very much. I came out super early in a very supportive community, didn't really have to rebel against anything. I had I guess a three month period in which I fretted about my sexual orientation, but it was fine afterwards.

Obviously I cared about Sam a lot, and on some level I recognise that in another environment or time I could have been her, but her story wasn't one I lived. Terry's career disappointment and depression hit me viscerally much harder than Sam's story.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I find it rather interesting how a lot of people thought there were some form of horror element in the game (even though there isn't really any danger in the mansion). It kinda made me appreciate that it was done intentionally since you're on your own in a house you aren't familiar with, and the house has a few quirks with it (e.g. creaky floorboards, lights in certain places etc) according to a certain document found in the office. I find it great that the fear/unease the player is experiencing is supposed to convey the feelings that Kaitlin is going through while walking through the house in the dark. Great stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Flashing Twelve posted:

I am male and queer, but from my point of view the whole "lesbian" deal plays a secondary role to a story of self-discovery, regardless of what *kind* of discovery and it is a mistake to focus *too* heavily on it. It's less a feeling of "Queer people can feel for the girl coming to grips with it and having to explore it" and more "growing up as a teen and dealing with people that don't understand you or care to understand you". Although the first part is certainly there, it resonates with straight people as well because we were all kind of hosed up as high school kids and can empathize with her feelings of just wanting to be understood and loved, whether she's queer or just unpopular.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Calico Noose posted:

I thought the first one was gone just because it was a loaner, and the one in Sam's room was actually just the cable for the neighbour kid's game console (even though it's not actually a SNES adapter :)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Gone Home Infinite. Every door leads to another house. There is always a girl, an empty house, and a Christmas Duck.

EDIT: Actually, no, it's the same Christmas Duck, you can bring him with you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat it Sam, put yr cassettes back in their cases. :argh:

Speaking about the tapes, I keep seeing people talking about mixtapes, I didn't see any mixtapes--just dubbed versions of whole albums like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottymouth
It would have been even cooler if it actually contained the whole album and you could leave it blaring on the stereo while you explored the rest of the house.

e: They really did a great job capturing the whole riot grrrl thing, from the music to the zines, to the hair color. I was roughly the same age in 1995 as Katie is, so some nostalgia for my misspent youth probably played a huge factor in how much I loved this game.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 18, 2013

MrsRobertRedford
Mar 8, 2013
Just wondering, did anyone find the secret passages on your own? I only found them because they were clearly marked on the maps. I feel like it would have been a really cool (creepy) experience to naturally find them.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I played through the whole thing in one sitting last night, the story and presentation were really well done, but it was pretty easy to see what the ending was about half way through. I kept expecting some sort of huge plot twist or something, but I guess the twist was that there was no twist.

Once I did realize that the game was actually about a girl coming home and finding out about her sister running away while the parents were out, I did have a bit of an "oh poo poo" moment... Because I had been taking every single thing I could grab and throwing it on the floor after looking at it. EVERYTHING. I didn't stop after that realization though, I just kept at it.

"Hey Mom and Dad, welcome home! By the way, Sam ran away with her girlfriend to god knows where, I loving demolished your house, and I also carefully examined all of your personal belongings and correspondance."

They could have made the game really amazing if they kept track of how much stuff you put back and how many lights you left on, then followed up by an epilogue with your folks throwing a poo poo fit on you if you wrecked the place.

greatBigJerk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 18, 2013

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I need some help. The only place I haven't explored is the attic, but it's locked.

Timeline-wise, the parents are gone for their anniversary and Lonnie wants to defile their bed with some scissoring action. In the basement, I opened the safe and found Oscar's letter to his sister. I think he killed himself? There's a dark room with a light that won't turn on

Any hints on where I should go next?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Secx posted:

I need some help. The only place I haven't explored is the attic, but it's locked.

Timeline-wise, the parents are gone for their anniversary and Lonnie wants to defile their bed with some scissoring action. In the basement, I opened the safe and found Oscar's letter to his sister. I think he killed himself? There's a dark room with a light that won't turn on

The key to the attic is in a secret room. There's a map to that room somewhere in Jan's wing of the house - the kitchen/greenhouse area.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 18, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Secx posted:

Look for the Greenhouse in the east wing of the house.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, uh

I own this game, and I'm playing it, and I don't want to use pansy mode because i like the idea of slowly creeping through a house, exploring it an turning on lights

But I gotta know, is there an impending popscare? Or not even a popscare, just please tell me there isn't somebody following me, or waiting for me in the house or something. If it's just me in a big empty dark place, I can handle it, but this paranoia is destroying me

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's not a horror game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Relax. It's just a house.

(Yeah the atmosphere is thick, but don't worry about it.)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

death .cab for qt posted:

So, uh

I own this game, and I'm playing it, and I don't want to use pansy mode because i like the idea of slowly creeping through a house, exploring it an turning on lights

But I gotta know, is there an impending popscare? Or not even a popscare, just please tell me there isn't somebody following me, or waiting for me in the house or something. If it's just me in a big empty dark place, I can handle it, but this paranoia is destroying me

To answer your question, there is one thing that could be considered a jump scare, and there's a lot of foreboding, but no, there's nothing trying to kill you or anything supernatural going on. That doesn't mean it isn't kinda atmosphericly scary, like how even though you know there's no such thing as monsters, you still get a little scared walking around in the dark.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey wait a minute, in this video you can clearly see the (not quite)SNES in Sam's room in this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&hd=1
She must have snuck back in and taken it while I was downstairs. :tinfoil: I wonder if they took it out because Nintendo got bitchy, or if they figured that having it gone would just mean that Sam took it with her to play SFII with Lonnie.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Probably took it out just in case Nintendo might have had a problem with it. Plus it adds to the idea that Sam took it along with the VCRs and such to pawn-off on the road for cash

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

There is a note by the locked basement door, on the dresser with the pair of dice, that says something to the effect of 'tell mom and dad sorry for the things that are missing' from Sam. Explains what happened to the VCR/game console and junk.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
But in the case of the SNES in particular, isn't there a note in the kitchen that says the friend who lent it to her took it back?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cicadalek posted:

But in the case of the SNES in particular, isn't there a note in the kitchen that says the friend who lent it to her took it back?

That was just the Street Fighter cartridge.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I thought I read that they wanted to make it functional but didn't have the time/effort to implement it.

Then again, it's probably better to avoid depicting real brands i.e VCRs, TVs, all the other junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it would have definitely taken away from the sense of urgency if you could totally ignore what happened to your family and just play SNES in your missing sister's room until Mom and Dad got back. It was pretty awesome playing Space Harrier on your Sega Master System in Shenmue though. I feel like Gone Home is the spiritual successor to Shemue in many ways.

• Locked thread