Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

nielsm posted:

Unless you shoot 6x12 or 9x12.

(The numberings for roll film types have nothing to do with measurements. They are essentially just old Kodak catalog numbers.)

9x12? i've never heard of any rollfilm that's 9cm high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Genderfluid posted:

Yeah it's sheet film, the "metric equivalent" of 4x5" sheets. Still it's a negative with 120mm on one side :haw:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Yeah. Actual exposition area for 6x6 is ~56mm x 56mm, the film is 60mm wide.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Genderfluid posted:

There were a few rollfilms that were that large. 122 film is known as "postcard" size because people would use it to contact-print their family cards, it was pretty common in large folders (Kodak No 3a) and that's very close as well (8.25cm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paul MaudDib posted:

There were a few rollfilms that were that large. 122 film is known as "postcard" size because people would use it to contact-print their family cards, it was pretty common in large folders (Kodak No 3a) and that's very close as well (8.25cm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format

That font looks mighty like comic sans.
Also a post card from a shopping center, in my mind, it doesn't get more American than that.

More on topic, there's also the Widelux and others which go to 17cm (170mm) even.
Of course it's still only 56mm on the short side, but hey.

Also if one could convert those post card cameras into medium format, they'd make nice panorama cameras, I'd wager.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So, after flipping through a lot of pages in this thread, I'm about to drop some cash on a Pentax 67. Any tips for someone that hasn't shot MF before?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Casu Marzu posted:

So, after flipping through a lot of pages in this thread, I'm about to drop some cash on a Pentax 67. Any tips for someone that hasn't shot MF before?

Learn good shooting technique (brace your body as much as possible), consider investing in a decent ballhead and an L-bracket, learn to freehand with mirror lockup if you're concerned about vibration (it's overblown).

Umm, don't put your finger through the shutter. It's huge and it's right there when you're loading. Loading is probably the trickiest part, make sure both the pressure back (green/orange 120/220 on back) and the counter (on the right hand side) are set, make sure the keys are aligned when you insert the spools.

Don't leave the meter on. It will drain your battery in 24h or so if you forget about it. And consider getting it sent in to have a split prism screen added, they really help focusing the wide angle lenses.

It's really about as easy a starting MF camera as you can get. It's just like an overgrown Spotmatic.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 19, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Paul MaudDib posted:

Learn good shooting technique (brace your body as much as possible), consider investing in a decent ballhead and an L-bracket, learn to freehand with mirror lockup if you're concerned about vibration (it's overblown).

Umm, don't put your finger through the shutter. It's huge and it's right there when you're loading. Loading is probably the trickiest part, make sure both the pressure back (green/orange 120/220 on back) and the counter (on the right hand side) are set, make sure the keys are aligned when you insert the spools.

Don't leave the meter on. It will drain your battery in 24h or so if you forget about it. And consider getting it sent in to have a split prism screen added, they really help focusing the wide angle lenses.

It's really about as easy a starting MF camera as you can get. It's just like an overgrown Spotmatic.

I'm not sure which meter you're referring to but the metering prism i have for my 6x7 shuts off automatically after like 30 seconds

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Genderfluid posted:

I'm not sure which meter you're referring to but the metering prism i have for my 6x7 shuts off automatically after like 30 seconds

The older ones don't have an auto-off, I had mine drain on me a few times, ended up just taking the battery out when I wasn't using it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Reichstag posted:

The older ones don't have an auto-off, I had mine drain on me a few times, ended up just taking the battery out when I wasn't using it.

I know some of them supposedly have an auto-off, I've never seen one. But my prism is definitely old, it's actually marked Honeywell Pentax rather than Asahi.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really want to get into medium format, but I'm afraid the media will die shortly with all of these companies ceasing production of their film. Am I being silly?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I don't think there have been any companies cutting film completely anytime recently. Mostly it's just been cutting out the excess so that they can focus on making what people actually buy. Hell, there's even that other company that's starting film production back up. I doubt it'll ever completely die.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I figure since film, chemistry and paper is all Ilford does we'll at least have black and white film until they literally can't stay in business anymore.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If you want to join the cool kids club, my Hasselblad is now for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post418590402
:o

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Casu Marzu posted:

It's a pretty simple camera, ultimately. Try and make every single picture count, don't just take "test" rolls, and try and cover whatever you're shooting from every angle you can conceive of it looking good form.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd love to start shooting medium or large format film, but I live in an apartment with zero options for home development. My next big purchase I was thinking would be a Pentax 6x7, would I be able to get the film developed anywhere locally (I live in Denver, not sure if major places still work with anything other than 35mm) or is this something I'd need to ship out someplace until I can work on developing my own film rolls?

There is the Denver Digital Imaging Center ( http://www.theslideprinter.com/ ) AKA The Slideprinter on Alameda east a block or two from the Cherokee intersection. They do E-6 with dip and dunk and can handle anything up to 8x10. Phone number 303 698 2962.

For other work there is Reed Photo (888 North Federal Blvd, check http://www.reedphoto.com/) and they do C-41 up to 120, E-6 and B&W up to 8x10. Call and check, 303-573-8084 / 800-999-8084.

Denver Pro Photo (http://www.denverprophoto.com/products.html), on Cherokee just north of Alameda. Their web site says they process up to 4x5 in C-41, b&w, and E-6. I don't think that is true any longer and that C-41 is only for 35mm and 120, but nothing larger.

So I lugged my massive Sinar F to Israel with all the equipment, accessories, film etc. required to shoot it, and I open my camera case to see this:

Anyone know where to buy a rear glass plate in Tel Aviv? :smith:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I found a store that sold film on Allenby between Ben Yehuda and King George/HaCarmel. I don't know if they sold glass plates there but maybe they could tell you where to look next.

Goondolences

e: google street view is blocked at work. I'll try to find it when I get home and edit in a better location.
e2: I couldn't find it but I know it was on the left side when walking South on Allenby from the Ben Yehuda intersection. Pretty sure it was before you got to King George but I'm not positive.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 20, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's a pretty simple camera, ultimately. Try and make every single picture count, don't just take "test" rolls, and try and cover whatever you're shooting from every angle you can conceive of it looking good form.

There is the Denver Digital Imaging Center ( http://www.theslideprinter.com/ ) AKA The Slideprinter on Alameda east a block or two from the Cherokee intersection. They do E-6 with dip and dunk and can handle anything up to 8x10. Phone number 303 698 2962.

For other work there is Reed Photo (888 North Federal Blvd, check http://www.reedphoto.com/) and they do C-41 up to 120, E-6 and B&W up to 8x10. Call and check, 303-573-8084 / 800-999-8084.

Denver Pro Photo (http://www.denverprophoto.com/products.html), on Cherokee just north of Alameda. Their web site says they process up to 4x5 in C-41, b&w, and E-6. I don't think that is true any longer and that C-41 is only for 35mm and 120, but nothing larger.

So I lugged my massive Sinar F to Israel with all the equipment, accessories, film etc. required to shoot it, and I open my camera case to see this:

make a post on the lf photography users group it is quite possible that someone there lives in israel and will sell you one, to the best of my knowledge it's the largest large format forum

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you can't find someone to sell you one in Israel, make your own. http://www.dokasphotos.com/techniques/ground_glass/ The scotch tape trick listed at the end might also be a decent idea.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Large format slide film is amazing.

Evergreen Forest by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

sunrise by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Demon_Corsair posted:

Large format slide film is amazing.

Evergreen Forest by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

sunrise by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr
Very nice. I have a box of 4x5 Velvia 50 and one of Provia 100F (same as you used it looks like!) that I'm scared to use because it's basically burning a five pound note each time I release the shutter, but you're tempting me. I bet the slides are soo pretty.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 23, 2013

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If I buy a Pentax 6x7 body on KEH, do I have to buy a viewfinder/pentaprism as well? Do they have batteries on KEH?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Elderbean posted:

If I buy a Pentax 6x7 body on KEH, do I have to buy a viewfinder/pentaprism as well? Do they have batteries on KEH?

Yes you need to buy a finder unless you plan in just making a WLF out of cardboard or something.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Actually, since I'm just starting out I might opt for a Rollei, how are they?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 23, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Elderbean posted:

Actually, since I'm just starting out I might opt for a Rollei, how are they?

Built like tanks, amazing glass. Can be expensive.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, now that I'm looking at prices...

What about the Mamiya offerings? Or the Yashicas?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
So I may have done a .. thing.

misc (1 of 1) by sildargod, on Flickr

It was $120 for the lot, have I done myself or anyone else a disservice? It's well worn, but the workings are immaculate.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

sildargod posted:

It was $120 for the lot, have I done myself or anyone else a disservice? It's well worn, but the workings are immaculate.

Seems like a heck of a good price for that.

Elderbean posted:

The yashica-mat I have is a very solid, well built feeling camera. Hard to go wrong with one.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sildargod posted:

Great price for an awesome camera. I love mine. It's a bit heavy, but you'll get used to it quickly. Be prepared to have lots of conversations with strangers whenever you take it anywhere.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Elderbean posted:

I think there might be a Yashica or two still for sale in the for sale thread for a good price.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:neckbeard:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
Anyone can recomend any alternatives for a large-ish LF shutter? Something around 35mm internal diameter or more, besides the Ilex #3, that's reasonably unexpensive? (flash sync is a great plus). I don't care about being really fast, 1/30 tops should be enough;

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

Anyone can recomend any alternatives for a large-ish LF shutter? Something around 35mm internal diameter or more, besides the Ilex #3, that's reasonably unexpensive? (flash sync is a great plus). I don't care about being really fast, 1/30 tops should be enough;

Packard shutter is what you want. Cheap, big, ~1/30s.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Packard shutter is what you want. Cheap, big, ~1/30s.

No flash thought :( That's the only thing that stopped me from bitting the bullet on one. The ones with flash are expensive enough that I could buy a mint Ilex #4 for the same price...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Primo Itch posted:

No flash thought :( That's the only thing that stopped me from bitting the bullet on one. The ones with flash are expensive enough that I could buy a mint Ilex #4 for the same price...

Pro Tip: For Instant Exposures, Use A Big Flash(bulb) And Shoot For The Flash Exposure.

An electronic flash will be a really instant exposure if you snuff the ambient light or shoot dark enough it's extinguished (slow shutter). If the light source is overpowering and instant it doesn't matter how long your shutter exposure is. Your shutter probably has a Bulb setting.

This is how some ULF cameras work, like life-size Polaroid cameras. You can probably semi-reliably time many exposures by hand.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 24, 2013

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What films are generally available? How easy is it to develop my own negatives? Does it look like any brands will be dissapearing in the near future?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Elderbean posted:

What films are generally available? How easy is it to develop my own negatives? Does it look like any brands will be dissapearing in the near future?

By "generally available" do you mean "stocked by any random store", or "possible to buy without major hassle"? Because you won't find much more than overpriced Kodak and Fuji consumer colour-negative 135-format film in most stores that still sell film. Serious photo stores will stock a better range, and at better prices.
Kodak, Fuji and Ilford films are available at any serious store. Some will also sell rebranded films at cheaper rates.
Other brands that are a bit harder to come by are Agfa, Foma and Rollei. (I think the Agfa and Rollei branded films are actually made at the same plant in Germany.) There's also some Chinese brands and such.
If a serious photo store carries a brand they tend to carry their entire line.

Developing B/W is ridiculously easy. If you can prepare Nescafe you can develop B/W film.
Colour is a little bit harder, but not much. (But the chemistry is less generally available.)

Both Kodak and Fuji are shaving their film lineups to those that sell, but the worst has probably already passed.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Spedman posted:

I think there might be a Yashica or two still for sale in the for sale thread for a good price.

Elderbean posted:

Paul Muaddib is selling a Yashica-Mat in the buy/sell thread. I still have two recently CLA'd Yashica C TLRs for sale as well.

Those are all the for-sale TLRs I'm aware of here. :3:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nielsm posted:

Both Kodak and Fuji are shaving their film lineups to those that sell, but the worst has probably already passed.

Actually I don't think the film lineups for either brand is stable. Kodak's films can just die any time because the current company holding the rights aren't truly interested in producing film, they just need money to pay off pensions. And considering how Fuji has recently killed off most of its Velvia lines and then suddenly killed off Provia 400X, I won't be surprised if they kill off Velvia totally by year-end.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Actually I don't think the film lineups for either brand is stable. Kodak's films can just die any time because the current company holding the rights aren't truly interested in producing film, they just need money to pay off pensions. And considering how Fuji has recently killed off most of its Velvia lines and then suddenly killed off Provia 400X, I won't be surprised if they kill off Velvia totally by year-end.

Fujifilm doesn't have the motion picture industry to provide a cushion like Kodak does. JJwars is gonna be shot on vision film, we should be rolling in the Portra for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Fujifilm doesn't have the motion picture industry to provide a cushion like Kodak does. JJwars is gonna be shot on vision film, we should be rolling in the Portra for years to come.

Too bad I like to use Fuji slide films...hope they won't kill off Provia 100F so soon.

Anyway, 2 shots from Japan on TMAX 400

Paddy Field, Shirakawa, Gifu, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Staircase, Kanazawa, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread