Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #042
Stardate: About five years too late

So, back to Coruscant to take care of a little business. Corso's contact was in the Dealer's Den cantina, but since the starport left us closer to the upper levels we had a chance to drop off Momi Andrell's shanjaru data.

I'm hoping Momi made it home, but we weren't about to go looking for her. After all she'd been through, a few smelly spacers were probably the last thing she wanted to see – or her powerful Senator father.

Instead, we followed her directions to Daru'da's lab. There's all kinds of research institutes on Coruscant, a smuggler can even make some credits picking them up samples from the Rim. This one was on the house, though.

quote:

Daru'da: What? Let me see them...

Daru'da: These samples are amazingly detailed...

Daru'da: I don't know who you are, but you've saved an entire species from extinction.

You can't go saying stuff like that to me, goes straight to my head.

quote:

Daru'da: Interesting notion. I'll, ah, recommend it to the Galactic Species Preservation Society.

Well, that's about enough of high-class Coruscant, time to get down to the underlevels and find Corso's cousin.

We grabbed a cab and set a course for the old Galactic Markets. The Dealer's Den is the same place we met Darmas while chasing Skavak.

Kinda odd he hasn't called in his favour yet, hope the guy didn't get greased. Always seemed a little delicate for that dive.

Drug dealer.

C'mon, like you can't tell. Even the auto-log didn't buy it.

quote:

“Doctor” Hope: I'm Doctor Hope. I liked to think of myself as a messenger of mercy, caring for the poor, forsaken citizens of the underlevels.

Corso: We don't need the pitch. Just tell us what you know about Rona.

“Doctor” Hope: I'd be happy to. But as a doctor, I must put the needs of my patients first...

Quinine: First tell us if you've got the goods on my friend's cousin.

Corso: You just tell us what you want and lay off talking like that!

“Doctor” Hope: Who knew Rona had such a gallant protector...?

“Doctor” Hope: Right. So, I've got some, ah, life-saving medications that need delivering.

A tip from a smuggler for free, if you can't lie about your merchandise with a straight face, don't bother. I knew what was going on by now, but this was Corso's job, not mine. Bettr to let the guy make his own mistakes, I figure. Well, within reason.

quote:

Quinine: You better not be asking us to go after Coruscant Security.

“Doctor” Hope: I don't want to get you... or me... into trouble with the law.

“Doctor” Hope: The only way to get my meds down without being stopped is to carry them inside a living body.

Corso: What?

Ah, the old Thermal-3Bs. Republic Command issued a recall, but the 3Cs didn't have the same boom. The Captain might've made a good smuggler himself, if he'd survived Duro.

quote:

“Doctor” Hope: Ha, I wish I had a hundred just like you, Captain.

Maybe I shoulda felt worse about letting Corso go through with this, but there was still a chance he'd actually meet his cousin on the far end, not to mention it's the only way he'll learn. Didn't his parents ever tell him not to accept street surgery from strangers?

quote:

Corso: It's worth it if I get to see her.

“Doctor” Hope: I'll just need you to come with me a moment, Master Riggs...

“Doctor” Hope: Perfect. These vials should stay sealed for at least twelve hours, no problem.

“Doctor” Hope: I'll tell my contact – ah, nurse – to expect you.

Poor Corso was looking pretty queasy after the chop-job. Good thing I was there, too – I'm pretty sure “Doctor Hope” wouldn't mind taking out a kidney to make more room for his “meds” if there wasn't a witness with a blaster.

We grabbed a cab down to the Black Sun sector. It was just as bad as I remembered, even after me and Corso blew through shooting every ganger we could find. There's probably a lesson there about systemic violence and poverty, but I was a little too busy looking after my drug mule friend to work it out.

Turns out our drop was at the Silent Sun cantina. They'd gotten a new Black Sun security guy out front after we gunned down the last one our last time through.

He didn't hit half as hard as the last guy. Standards are slipping.

Once we got inside, we found the “nurse” - a Rattaki who looked more than comfortable breaking bones, just maybe not setting them after.

quote:

Big Jan: Doctor say, two people, look out.

Big Jan: Now time, cut out spice...

Corso: Did she say... “spice”?

Aaaaand the shoe finally drops.

quote:

Corso: I just hoped there was a little truth to his story. That he really was helping the people here.

Corso's the most loyal, dependable partner I've ever had, but drat can he be slow sometimes. If there's a sucker born every minute, he took up a whole half-hour.

quote:

Corso: You used us. If you weren't a lady, you'd – I gotta have a word with your boss.

Big Jan: I no speak Basic. You say... take spice away?

Big Jan: Good spice. I give good money. Big... how you say, “cut.”

Corso: We're not asking for a bigger cut, you idiot!

I figured Corso'd learned his lesson, and I'm no spice-runner. Time we tried a new line of reasoning with the good Doctor.

quote:

Big Jan: No! Is good money! Good good money!

Big Jan: Doctor no be happy with this!

Black Sun was closing in on the cantina again, so we figured it was time to get out before they tried cutting us off. Back to the Dealer's Den. Kinda fitting name for the situation, isn't it?

Recommended for a family get-together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTyG5BiCrDM

quote:

Corso: Yeah, we did your dirty work, you fraud! Now where's my cousin?

That's what I call the 'direct approach'.

quote:

“Doctor” Hope: You're looking for Rona Riggs, right? Well, she's the one who thought you two would be right for the job.

“Doctor” Hope: Don't shoot the messenger.

Turns out Hope's information was good, but Corso might've preferred it if he was a liar.

quote:

Rona Riggs: Course, I'm a little more big-time now than ma and pa ever would have allowed.

Quinine: You cousin sure doesn't look like a farm girl anymore, Corso.

Corso: Rona, what... what happened to you? What are you doing here?

A lotta room for promotion must've opened up recently.

quote:

Corso: The Black Suns? You're a... gang member?

Corso. Corso. We killed a hundred members of Black Sun, and they all wore the same gear Rona's got on. I know you can figure this one out.

quote:

Rona Riggs: Gang leader! You think I should write home? Make ma and pa proud?

That kinda killed the good mood.

With all our high-flying space adventure, it gets easy to forget Corso buried his family on Ord Mantell. Finding his cousin means more than just getting back in touch. Or, well, it should've...

quote:

Rona Riggs: Ha. After all that grousing about the big dangerous galaxy. Guess that showed them.

Corso: How can you say that? Don't you care?

Corso: We obviously came just in time. Come on, Rona. We're getting you out of here.

Rona Riggs: Poor chivalrous little Corso... don't you get it? I don't need to be rescued. I chose this life.

We should know, we've put most of 'em in those bags lately.

quote:

Corso: This isn't what you wanted, Rona. We talked about wild adventures, not... smuggling spice!

Corso: You wanted to be like the captain, right? Thumb your nose at society and use your freedom to make a difference! You can still do that.

Rona Riggs: It was a nice dream. But this is where I woke up.

That's not how I hoped our trip to Coruscant would end. I guess Corso's relieved Rona's at least alive, and maybe with time he can get her to change her mind and get out of the life. It won't be easy, but family never are.

We're drinking in the starport bar at the moment. Corso deserves a little R&R after going through all that. It'll be a long flight to Tatooine, plenty of time to sleep it off – and good thing, too, 'cause I hear the place has two suns, which might make for the worst hangovers in galactic history.

##End Log##

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
So, maybe I didn't read the update closely enough, but did Corso get the spice cut out of him? :confused:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Albis09 posted:

So, maybe I didn't read the update closely enough, but did Corso get the spice cut out of him? :confused:

Ahhhh yeah, I probably should've made that clearer. Or maybe included the video, where the sound of Corso undergoing the operation sounds like someone unzipping a tent door and stepping om a tomato. Big Jan cut the spice out in a brief fade to black. You never actually see any of the spice.

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain

Dolash posted:

Ahhhh yeah, I probably should've made that clearer. Or maybe included the video, where the sound of Corso undergoing the operation sounds like someone unzipping a tent door and stepping om a tomato. Big Jan cut the spice out in a brief fade to black. You never actually see any of the spice.

I see, but if she cut it out, did Corso and the Captain just let her have it without her now needing to pay them? Or just drop the stuff in a garbage can outside of the cantina?

I'm overthinking this way too much...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No no, that's a fair question. It's hard to tell from the animation (since they don't have a spice bag object, so they can't show what anybody's holding or looking at) but it seems like after Jan takes it out of Corso, you've got it for some reason, so you smash it if you choose the lightside option.

Edit: VVVV Even Quinine has limits.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 18, 2013

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
There is an option to flirt with Rona, which really pisses Corso off.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 36: SPECTER OF THE PAST

Previously posted:

Jedi Master ERIZ VOSSAN has disappeared in the deserts of Tatooine, searching for the “ultimate warriors”. THARAN CEDRAX heads for the besieged settlement of MALCOLM'S DUNES hoping to pick up his trail. Meanwhile, QYZEN FESS is hunting for something lost long ago in the sands...

: Is because of capture on Tython. I suffer shame over loss of my score.

SWTOR has a handy feature where you can unify the colors of all your various armour pieces to match the chest armour, which makes mismatched armour sets look less like crazy clown suits. As is par for the course in this game the feature keeps getting broken by new patches, and at the moment it glitches if you're talking with a companion in a cantina or on your ship. Hence why Qyzen has green pants in this scene.

: This is why you went into the desert? Is this some sort of “sweat out the sin” deal? Because there has to be an easier way of doing things. I mean, there were lots of saunas back on Nar Shaddaa. At least, I think they were saunas.

: No, is nothing to do with scouring.

: What are you planning?

: My father was great hunter. Died with exceptional score, hunting in sands of Tatooine. I must find father's bones in Tatooine desert, pay homage to him and points. This will please Scorekeeper, and end disgrace.

: ...

: Would be great kindness, Herald. Thank you.

: Hey, no problem. It's not like I can get lost twice out there. Probably.

: You will need new speeder. Can take my old one.

: Thanks, Qyzen... Hmm, I'll need to get a new hat as well. My old one was st- destroyed by a wo- terrible desert monster. All claws and... more claws.

BACK IN THE DUNE SEA...

: Qyzen, why does this speeder have teeth on it?

: ... Is to scare away vermin who chew on cables.

: It isn't because, say, Teenage Qyzen thought painting teeth on his first speeder would be super badass?

: no

: Rrrreally?

: maybe

: Here. This is place Old Yonlach spoke of.

: Wow, Qyzen! Your dad was huge!

: …

: I'm kidding Qyzen.

: Father's remains should be near Krayt ribcage.

[VIDEO: Dem Bones]

: Not even the Scorekeeper could resist.

: I feel lightness. Shame sloughing off. Yes. This was right thing to do.

: Hang on, that's a human skull there.

: Yes, Father carried it everywhere. It was his lucky skull.

: :stare:

: I-- we continue later. Someone comes.

: Qyzen and I have come to honor his father's remains. May we have some privacy?

: No! Go or whole hunt is ruined!

: Must have moved into territory, since father killed other beasts.

: Farmers say it eats bantha herds. Call it the Dusk Shadow.

: Huh. I think I have a lipgloss called Dusk Shadow.

: Has claimed many hunters, but I will kill.

: That still doesn't explain why we have to go, we haven't seen your Dusk Shadow.

: I laid scent trail to lure Dusk Shadow, dug trapfall in sand, filled with explosives. Is perfect plan. Even Dusk Shadow will not survive. But you disrupt scent trail by standing here!

: :ughh:

: Even if these charges go off, you can't predict what aftershocks they could cause.

You get points with Qyzen here by objecting to Lek's plan. Interestingly you can object in two ways- either on the idealistic grounds that it isn't honorable to blow up your prey with a huge bomb, or (as Jolune says) on the pragmatic grounds that big pits full of explosives aren't a very safe solution. Both give you the same number of friendship points with Qyzen.

: Is perfect plan. Is! I have thought of all!

: Raaaaaarrrrrrghhhh!!!!

: How many abominations can one desert have?!

Dusk Shadow is a Terantetek, and normally something wayyyy out of our league. Fortunately he's nerfed to be manageable. Probably hasn't been eating enough bantha.

This fight is exceptionally simple because Dusk Shadow has no skills or buffs, he's just a big dumb punching machine. You've just got to make sure your damage output beats his.

: It is done. Beast is dead, shame is lifted, and other hunter ran away like small cowardly child.

: Little one did not understand. Why explosives and tricks, when there is skill? When Scorekeeper rewards keeping to true path? Father's bones will stay, in deserts he loved. We return to ship, Herald; is own hunt to continue.

: Now to Malcolm's Dunes, finally. I hope Tharan's kept out of trouble.

New Powers! It's been a while since I've done this as your new power acquisition rate slows to a crawl past level 20. Here's what we got since last time-

1. Restoration: The “cure status effect” power. Gets rid of two mental status effects, and can be upgraded through the healer skill tree to get rid of physical status effects as well. As physical status debuffs are much more commonplace than mental ones this is a very useful upgrade.
2. Mental Alacrity: Gives you +20% alacrity and makes you immune to interrupts for 10s, but takes two minutes to recharge. “Alacrity” is a secondary stat that speeds up all cooldowns, reduces activation times and boosts force regen. Sounds useful, but when SWTOR originally came out it was so poorly balanced that even someone with top level alacrity boosting gear was unlikely to see any appreciable speed increase. It got rebalanced in the 2.0 patch to make it more useful, but it still ain't that great. Still, the interrupt immunity is useful in pvp when you're fighting enemies that actually try to disrupt your attacks.
3. Cloud Mind: Instantly drops your threat rating, making it less likely an enemy will attack you- 45s to recharge. Handy to have in group situations, bit less useful in singleplayer when your companion is the only other possible target for enemies to attack.

: These Sand People totems don't look promising...

: Ssst! Jedi! Here!

: Finally you show up! Where have you been all this time?

: I found Qyzen! Also, I think I went on a vision quest.

: ...But you're blind.

: ...

: :v:

: ...What's happening here?

: The Sand People are shooting anything and everything they see. That isn't much different from their usual habits, but it seems they're being a lot more proactive about it these days.

: We haven't met Malcolm either!

: It looks like there are survivors holed up in the main building, but I haven't been able to get through the Sand People's lines to find out for sure. Oh, and there's no sign of Delk.

: Time for the unsubtle approach.

: Look at me! I'm a distraction!

[VIDEO: Malcolm]

: That lunatic said he was a Jedi and a friend of yours. We trusted him.

: You better have a pretty good explanation for why this Master Eriz keeps sending Sand People out to attack us.

: Another Jedi? Dammit, Delk, why do you keep leading them here?

: L-listen here. We've already lost too much to that Master what's-his-face and his army of Sand People.

: So why don't you just leave here quiet-like and don't cause any more trouble?

: Malcolm is pretty rude.

: I don't want trouble-- just tell me what's going on.

: I'm sorry, Jedi, but our trust is a bit worse for the wear at this point.

: But ever since we pointed him to their camp... you could set your chrono by their attacks. We got nothing left!

: The Sand People are your enemies, not me.

: You suggesting we go out there and attack the Sand People? You want us to get killed?

: What?! No!

: Well...

: No! I promise I am not working with Master Eriz.

: That was abrupt. Did you mind trick these idiots?

: Nope. I have no idea what's happening, but at least they're not about to shoot us.

: In fact, some of our guys scoped out a side entrance you might be interested in. It's a little less crowded, which could be all the difference. There's something weird about these Sand People-- they seem faster and stronger than normal.

: Hmm... I think I know where that is. I'll get some gear together and meet you out there, maybe provide backup.

: You have my gratitude.

Be a massive rear end in a top hat, or try mind tricking your way through this conversation, and Malcolm doesn't tell you about the side entrance. There isn't an actual side entrance, but supposedly the enemy spawns are reduced in the next dungeon now.

: I can already tell this guy's going to be a massive help in the final confrontation.

NEXT TIME: The Spartan Way

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Krayt Dragon posted:

Enormous predatory lizards that prowl the dunes of Tatooine, krayt dragons are both feared and revered by the Jawas and Sand People that share their world. Slaying one of the fearsome beasts was once a rite of passage for young Sand People warriors, and the Jawa believe krayt bones possess mystical properties. For all their importance to Tatooine’s native cultures, however, krayt dragons are extraordinarily rare and quite possibly extinct–no living krayt has been seen in decades. Nonetheless, their towering skeletons are a testament to their power and majesty, and a pilgrimage to the legendary krayt graveyard remains a holy ritual in many Sand People tribes.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 19, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ahh, Tarenteteks. The most dangerous beasts Dark Side Sorcery can create.

Mort killed one on Korriban. :v:

In other news, TOR has a "power curve" that makes one's brain hurt.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Not just Mort! Atronie did it too!

I like to think that both of them were practically dead even before the sith apprentices woke them up.

ToR's "Power Curve" is indeed silly.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bahumat posted:

Not just Mort! Atronie did it too!

I like to think that both of them were practically dead even before the sith apprentices woke them up.

ToR's "Power Curve" is indeed silly.

What'd you expect from the game where "a horde of elite troopers!" = 5 regular guys and a womp rat? For a supposedly rare critter though, tarenteteks are everywhere in TOR. I admit the group assigned to hunt them down by the Jedi were established by KotOR to be idiots, but jeez.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #043
Stardate:Still chasing a waste of space

Still on our way to Tatooine. We'd be there by now, Risha keeps reminding me, if we hadn't taken an unexpected detour. Let's review – I was just about to lay on my charms with Risha when the holo kicked up.

quote:

Quinine: I read you, Captain. What's the situation?

quote:

Feylara: Need help getting my engine going. I'll pay if you help with repairs.

Quinine: I'm always ready to help a lady in distress.

Feylara: Thanks. Haven't met many nice guys out here.

Well, how could I say no now?

Your ship going out on you is every space's nightmare. I wouldn't have left her hanging even if there wasn't a pretty woman asking for my help. That was just a bonus.

We found the Celestial Crow way out on the Rim, in the true middle of nowhere. She was lucky as all hell to catch me, considering how few ships have reason to head to Tatooine from Coruscant. Considering in how bad shape it looked, and how close we were to the nearest star, anybody onboard would be fried by radiation soon enough if the life support didn't give out first.

The rescue mission seemed straightforward enough. I didn't think twice about a plan or any kind of danger until Risha caught me heading out the airlock.

quote:

Quinine: I need to go help a beautiful woman.

Risha: You're easily distracted by shiny things, aren't you?

Risha: I won't tell you how to run your ship, but what am I supposed to do if you don't come back.

I was a little surprised. From what Beryl said, I figured Risha would just book it with my ship and my crew and find herself a new Captain to run errands. Maybe I'm starting to grow on her. Or maybe it's because I had the keys on me.

quote:

Quinine: You know how careful I am.

Risha: When you're this far out in space, careful is beside the point.

Risha: You're at least planning to take some muscle, right? You do have a Wookie.

I didn't want to admit it, but she had a fair point. Corso was still nursing his hangover, but Bowdaar would probably jump at the chance to stretch his legs a little. I don't find the Miel Muwn cramped, but then again I'm not eight feet tall.

quote:

Risha: I just don't feel like getting stranded in deep space.

The first sign something was up was no welcoming committee at the airlock. I wasn't expecting flowers to be thrown at my feet, but usually a rescue ship draws a crowd.

The second warning sign? Haywire cargo droids trying to kill us. With everything else wrong with the Celestial Crow, why not this too? Bowdaar didn't much complain, though, the flight was starting to bore him anyway.

Just about nothing worked. Even the doors were jammed shut, I had to blast my way through – but not the bridge, nobody was there. The only life sign on the ship was in the cargo bay.

I found Feylara waiting for us there. In a twist that caught maybe only me by surprise, she wasn't quite the damsel in distress I was expecting.

Recommended for a dose of the crazy eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O007uqYRODY

quote:

Quinine: I'd never disappoint a pretty face like yours.

Feylara: You're cute. Not my kind of cute, but still – it's a shame.

Feylara: It was sweet of you, flying all the way out here to save me. You seem like a nice guy.

Nothing good ever comes after hearing that. Sure enough...

quote:

Feylara: Just so you know, this isn't personal. I have to kill you, but it's for love.

Quinine: Nobody's ever tried to kill me for love before.

Feylara: It's romantic, right?

Setting aside you can get through a ray shield with a detonator, or an ion blaster, or a knife...

quote:

Quinine: If blaster fire can't get out, how'll you kill me?

Feylara: Shhh... quiet. I have to make a call.

Feylara: Skavak! It's me, Feylara. Surprise!

quote:

Feylara: Does it matter? I've missed you so much, honeybunch.

Quinine: I missed you too... “honeybunch”.

Skavak: What is this, Captain? You making an army out of my ex-girlfriends?

I wish. Skavak's ex-girlfriends don't have nearly enough thirst for revenge.

quote:

Feylara: It's not like that at all. This is your nemesis, right? The captain who stole your ship on Coruscant and made you look stupid?

Quinine: Heh, good times.

Feylara: I can prove how much I love you, honeybunch. I'm killing this nemesis for you.

Well, Bowdaar proves he knows more about women than Corso. Or me, probably.

At that point about half the junk stood up and pulled out blasters. Assassin droids.

Cheap ones, though. Crazy stalkers must not have much of an eye for quality, I guess, since Bowdaar and I cut 'em down in seconds.

If you've never worked with a Wookie before, by the way, I recommend it. Ever since he's been free, Bowdaar's taken a lot more joy in his work – you've never seen a droid go crunch until you've seen Bowdaar do it. He's an artist.

Sure enough, the droids dropped. Now to deal with Feylara's less than impressive “ambush”, hopefully before she makes all of us feel even stupider.

Recommended for low batteries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwTY1XhsFQI

quote:

Feylara: The guy who sold me those droids said they were top of the line. I want a refund.

Feylara: Let's just call this even. With my ray shield on, you can't hurt me.

Again, it's just a ray shield, but before I had to make that point...

quote:

Feylara: Portable battery pack.

Skavak: You know those only last a few minutes, right?

Skavak, Feylara and me are all dumber for having participated in this.

quote:

Feylara: Oh, no...

Quinine: Aw, did the instructions have too many big words?

Feylara: Honeybunch, my shield is down! What am I gonna do?

Skavak: I don't know... die? Kill you later, Captain.

I might've been in my rights to kill her, but honestly, I just felt sorry for her. Skavak used her and dropped her, like some kind of...

Hm. Um.

quote:

Quinine: Skavak doesn't love anybody.

Well, except for Skavak.

quote:

Feylara: My friends all said he was after my money, but they didn't know how he made me feel!

Quinine: Go ahead and cry, if it makes you feel better.

Feylara: I'm sorry I tried to kill you. Do you forgive me?

Quinine: Let me out of here and go find yourself a new man.

Maybe she can find Azalie and form a “don't date spacers” club. Oh hell, what if Azalie tries killing Skavak to “protect” me? Or worse, what if she pulled it off and I had to come up with another reason to run away from her?

Any day I start thinking I've got something in common with Skavak is a bad day. At least Feylara's learned her lesson and is taking the Celestial Crow home. It also reminded me I've still got a date to kill that scum-sucking son of a Sith one of these days, maybe before he gets one of his exes killed.

I wasn't looking forward to telling Risha about this one, but I figured maybe I should start experimenting with the truth when it comes to talking with women. Besides, she's no Azalie or Feylara, she'd figure it out on her own.

quote:

Quinine: One of Skavak's old flames tried to kill me.

Risha: I'm not even going to ask.

Risha: If there's one thing I hate, it's phoney distress calls. They make spacers too paranoid to answer the real ones.

Pay it forward.

quote:

Risha: Very noble. I wonder how much trouble that policy will buy us?

Risha: Let's get out of here. Deep space gives me the creeps.

Risha: I've set up some new deals on Alderaan and Tatooine. Ready to deliver the rest of this cargo?

Quinine: Whatever it takes to make me rich.

We're just coming up on Tatooine now. I don't know if Skavak's still on our trail, but I hope he is – I'll never find Nok Drayen's treasure if I'm busy fighting off Skavak's league of evil exes the whole time.

##End Log##

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You missed a prime opportunity to make an Exes of Evil joke there, Dolash. I'm very disappointed :colbert: Also, man the Light-aligned Smuggler's a soft touch.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I love Feylara. Her VA does the perfect mix of incredibly irritating and endearingly :downs:. Bit like Harley Quinn really. Also, Skavak's embarrassment at the whole affair is delightful.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
If you go lightside, you get this entire impression that everyone involved wants to forget it ever happened. It's glorious.

The main issue is that the vast majority of lightside options seem soft, particularly since there's not benefit to remaining neutral alignment, so you're either cartoonishly evil or the forgiver of everything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Skavak's just kind of ticked off that she came up with a better plan than he ever could.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Glazius posted:

Skavak's just kind of ticked off that she came up with a better plan than he ever could.

Assuming this is true, could we have an image of her skavak and Quinine put over the "batman in a fishtank" scene in Batman the animated series?

Because that would be hilarious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #044
Stardate: Hot-dropped.

Tatooine lives up to its reputation for heat – or it would, if anybody had ever heard of Tatooine.

Recommended for a chuckle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4aGST77yfU

quote:

Risha: Hope you enjoy heat, Captain. It's the closest you'll get to landing on a sun. Unless you're really unlucky.

Quinine: If it's that hot here, maybe we should peel off a few layers.

Risha: I sunburn easily. But, knock yourself out.

And here I was hoping the twin suns might thaw her out. Maybe if I can find a beach...

quote:

Risha: Diago was always trying to one-up Nok. They fought for territory, bragging rights and the occasional woman. The battles were legendary.

Quinine: What started this war between Nok and Diago?

Risha: Nok was the most successful gangster in the galaxy. Diago was never happy being number two.

Risha: Diago celebrated Nok's death by raiding one of his storehouses. Stole an advanced Gree sensor computer. Priceless technology.

quote:

Quinine: Everybody has a price. What's Diago's?

Risha: These days? Privacy.

Risha: No one's seen Diago in years. He only communicates through his lieutenants.

Risha: One of those lieutenants, a Nikto named Tookreek, promised to help. You need to meet him.

quote:

Risha: Tookreek owns a nightclub in the desert outside Anchorhead. He's expecting you.

Quinine: He must want something exchange for helping us.

Risha: Tookreek wants fame. I promised I'd tell everyone he helped find Nok Drayen's riches.

I can already see a problem with promising Tookreek fame and his boss privacy, but hey, might as well feel the situation out in person first.

Poor Risha, she's too much fun to wind up. Besides, she clearly hasn't met the right kind of Jedi.

Tatooine's a dry, dusty planet. The sort of place where even I have to concede to practicality. A leather jacket just wasn't going to cut it in this heat, not to mention what the sand might do to my hair.

I managed to put a little something together from my wardrobe, with the help of a few bits and pieces the Evocii gave me. I think it says “survivor, but still stylish”.

Corso's still feeling blue, so I asked him to watch the ship while me and Bowdaar took care of business. Bringing the Wookie along in this heat might not've been the best idea – he never complains, but he's panting like a cracked radiator.

Back on task. The town we landed in's called Anchorhead, and Tookreek's bar is outside it somewhere in the wasteland. Anchorhead might not compare to Coruscant or Corellia, but it's still got a few things going on. Case in point...

quote:

Sheriff Encot: Now, I'm not going to beat around the bush. We need help, and I'm hoping you can provide it.

Sheriff Encot: The Twin Suns pirates think they can get away with murder, and usually do. But now they're selling our people as slaves – and we won't stand for it.

Quinine: The Twin Suns, huh? As it happens, I've got some experience going up against crime syndicates.

Sheriff Encot: I'm sure.

Always good to know people see me and think “dashing outlaw”, not “slaving bastard”. Must be the new hood.

quote:

Sheriff Encot: Old Czerka droids – they're smuggling them off-planet by way of a warehouse outside of Anchorhead. I figure that's the place to start looking for anything more.

Quinine: I'll let you know what I dig up.

Sheriff Encot: They guard the warehouse pretty heavily. Some of the thugs there are sure to know what the other side of their operation is doing.

Sheriff Encot: Search any communications you find. See if you can follow the trail to uncover their slaving operation.

Well now I have to do it. Risha might grumble about our meeting with Tookreek, but slavers kinda take precedence. Besides, Bowdaar just heard he gets to gut a gang of slave-takers and it's not even his birthday, I can't take that away from him. The first round at Tookreek's will taste sweeter when grateful locals are buying.

##End Log##

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ahaha I can't believe you're wearing that awful outfit.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Dolash posted:

I managed to put a little something together from my wardrobe, with the help of a few bits and pieces the Evocii gave me. I think it says “survivor, but still stylish”.
I think it says "help help, I've gone colorblind".

Dolash posted:

quote:

Risha: Nok was the most successful gangster in the galaxy. Diago was never happy being number two.

Risha: Diago celebrated Nok's death by raiding one of his storehouses. Stole an advanced Gree sensor computer. Priceless technology.
Shouldn't a big shot gangster try stealing everything from a dead rival, instead of one lousy computer? No wonder he was #2 with that attitude.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There aren't a whole lot of desert-appropriate clothes to choose from, and it seemed the right amount of garish for Quinine. Sprinkle in some "Oh, this keffiyeh? Yeah, it was handmade by indigenous Evocii craftsmen, free Evocar!" and how could I resist?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Loving the new threads. They actually work out alright in the harsh desert sun, but they look odd inside.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #045
Stardate: Time for a cold drink, I hope.

We followed the sheriff's directions to the edge of town. Sure enough, there was an old, abandoned warehouse. I don't know how the Twin Suns thought they could hide their operation in a town this small. Maybe they just figured they could blast anybody that came snooping.

Well, that didn't work out so well for them this time.

Me and Bowdaar didn't run short on pirates. The Wookie had a ball, and the look on their faces when he punted them through the air was worth the price of admission.

Fun though it was, the warehouse wasn't our main objective. A pirate dropped his comm and some instructions for a meeting with a slaver in town. Once the other pirates ran off and Bowdaar finished pounding their remains into the dirt, we dusted ourselves off and made for Anchorhead's biggest cantina.

Not a bad place, as a matter of fact. Cool drinks, shelter from the sun, and whatever the house band was playing on those flutes it was pretty catchy. I might've taken a load off, but Bowdaar was antsy to get his claws on (and into) a few more slavers.

We found the meeting place and tapped the comm, then scanned the room for who looked up.

Surprise surprise, it was the less-than-reputable looking Rattaki at the bar.

Shenax: I am Shenax, but I can't imagine what business it is of yours.

quote:

Shenax: Slave trading is perfectly legal on Tatooine. As for the notion that I consort with the Twin Suns, well – I take pains to ensure my wares' legitimacy.

Quinine: Local security is already involved; Encot sent me personally. I suggest you cooperate.

But I really, really wanted him to give me trouble.

quote:

Shenax: I... see. Then I do so under protest.

Bowdaar only let him live under protest, believe you me.

We paid Shenax in not-murdered-by-Wookie-today and took his directions. The sheriff might've been able to take it from there, but I like to provide full service day-saving so we went straight for the spaceport.

Hard to imagine a spaceport and city this small could hide a slaving operation for long. I don't know who these Twin Suns guys are, but they've got to be getting some backing from some other cartel or group. Tatooine might not be much, but the locals would come down like a hammer if they knew what was going on under their noses.

Sure enough, they'd taken over a whole hangar and parked their 'wares' and ship. The suns had lulled their guards to sleep. Showtime.

We started blasting our way through the pirate crew before they knew what was happening.

At one point, I even thought about stealing their ship. Not like they'd need it much once they were all dead, right? On the other hand, it's hard enough to keep just one ship flying, let alone two. The militia should be able to turn a few credits on it, at least.

The last man standing for the Twin Suns was the captain. He tried saying something when he saw me and Bowdaar coming over what was left of his crew, but I topped him up with buckshot before he could get a word out. I mean, what's he going to say – mistaken identity? There aren't many accidental or misunderstood slavers out there.

We found the slave pen at the back of the hangar. I couldn't find the keys anywhere, so I told Bowdaar to stay back and used my trusty lockpick.

It was only once we'd blown the door off I noticed all the slaves the Twin Suns had taken were women. As if slaving wasn't despicable and cowardly enough. We were just lucky they weren't stealing children from their beds at night. I told the poor girls the Twin Suns wouldn't bother them anymore and helped them link up with the militia outside.

And hey, if I bump into one of them in the cantina later, I've got a pretty good head start. (Kidding! I'm kidding!)

About time we told Encot about our success.

quote:

Sheriff Encot: I know! We've had some make their way back here, and they're telling everyone how one man took out all the Twin Suns.

Sheriff Encot: I'll send some of the militia boys to hold that hangar the Suns were working out of.

A bit iffy, considering it was the women of Tatooine the Suns were caging, and the militia doesn't have it in them to stop “legitimate” slaving, but a win's a win.

Bowdaar floated the idea of ripping Shenax's head off now we didn't need him, but I declined – we don't need to go starting any more trouble for Anchorhead than they've got going on, not to mention if Risha heard we were running around town playing hero instead of getting her that sensor computer she might have a few cutting remarks.

Instead, we grabbed a speeder ride into the desert toward Tookreek's bar. A desert world looks a whole lot dryer from up close, especially when you start working out how far the next canteen of water would be on foot. Hope I never find out.

Speaking of getting a drink, we made it to Tookreek's in one piece and thirsty from a day's hard work. Bowdaar's asking for water but I'm sure I can talk him into something a little more medicinal. We'll see how that goes.

##End Log##

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Sherriff Encot supposed to look falling-down drunk? Because that's the impression that I get.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #046
Stardate: Cold-shouldered

So like I was saying, we'd just turned up at Tookreek's remote cantina in the middle of nowhere. Me and Bowdaar had a quick sip of water and I was just talking him into getting some real drinks when I spotted a big Nikto behind the bar. It must've been Tookreek himself, so we sidled over to settle our business.

Recommended for a typical Tatooine welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZictBEPyA

quote:

Tookreek: I'm honored she felt the need to make a show of strength. She must think very highly of me.

At first I thought maybe my reputation was getting around, but then I noticed Tookreek was looking at Bowdaar. When it comes to flashing muscle, Wookies are accepted across the galaxy.

quote:

Bowdaar: He smells like bad luck.

Quinine: If you smell anything else, let me know.

Bowdaar: Everything here smells like bad luck – and bantha sausage.

Less of those sausages are actual bantha than you might like, Bowdaar.

quote:

Tookreek: I'm sorry to say this, but you've come at a bad time to do business. Things here are... tense.

Quinine: You promised that sensor computer, and you're going to deliver it.

Tookreek: Honoring my promise is difficult under such dangerous conditions...

We were about to get to haggling, when an argument at the other side of the bar got underway.

quote:

Nariel Pridence: I'm not looking for any trouble.

Chomm: Then you definitely don't belong here.

Tookreek: Excuse me, but I suddenly feel an urge to put away all the breakable things.

Nariel Pridence: I'm only a weary traveler. There's plenty of room here for both of us, my friend.

Chomm: You're not my friend, got it.

They never do, but I wasn't about to let some dumb thug run roughshod over a girl minding her own business. Besides, Bowdaar had the guy beat for height by at least a foot, why not throw some of that intimidation around?

quote:

Chomm: Mind your own business, human trash!

Nariel Pridence: You want to leave me alone. You want to stop bothering me.

Chomm: You're really starting to annoy me. Men!

If that little trick of hers was meant to do anything, it didn't. Unless it was supposed to tick Chomm off, then she's a master.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out they weren't planning on your typical bar brawl. Picking on a lone girl is bad enough, but doing it blasters-out is lower than low. Naturally, I intervened.

quote:

Quinine: If you want to pick a fight, why not pick me?

Bowdaar: I like your style.

I like your moves.

If you weren't paying attention, like those creeps, you might not've noticed the lightsaber until now. Believe me, Chomm and his boys realized their mistake soon enough.

I'm a little surprised Nariel wasn't able to get out of this one on her own. I don't know much about Jedi magic tricks, but you shouldn't be able to just walk up to one in a bar and shank 'em if you feel like it.

Not that Chomm managed that, anyway. He and his gang were pretty completely outmatched. Still insisted on fighting it out to the death, though – pride can be funny/deadly like that.

Once we'd finished with 'em, I figured it was time I ask what some big-shot Jedi was doing in the middle of nowhere, and maybe to see how much gratitude my heroic help scored.

Recommended for trying really, really hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADdRfei7us

quote:

Quinine: What can I say? I'm a sucker for a beautiful woman.

I should just come clean that I've got a bit of a thing for Jedi. We all did, back in the regiment. They were basically the holy grail, the big fish story. On long shifts we'd sit around, trading tales that always happened to a friend of a friend.

quote:

Nariel Pridence: You acted based on your perception of my physical appearance? That makes no sense.

And that's the reason why we never believed them. The only emotion I've ever seen a Jedi express is “kill-frenzy”, and she's a special case.

quote:

Nariel Pridence: My name is Nariel Pridence. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Nariel Pridence: I'm looking for Vaverone Zare, an agent of evil and servant of the Sith Empire. Have you heard of her?

Quinine: Whoever Zare is, I bet she's not nearly as gorgeous of you.

Nariel Pridence: Zare is a being of vast darkness and a grave threat to the galaxy.

It's like she's not even hearing me or something. Am I sending out the wrong signals? What's Jedi for “let me get you another drink”?

quote:

Quinine: Stick with me, sweetheart. I'll find this Zare before sundown.

Nariel Pridence: That's kind, but I can't place you in harm's way.

Nariel Pridence: I sense you're destined for greater things than consorting with common criminals.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to the uncommon criminals, true.

Ah well. Can't say I didn't give it my absolute best shot. Well, you know how it is with all that Force stuff, maybe I'll bump into her again. Then again when girls start telling me I'm part of their destiny that's when I start to panic. Plenty more fish in the sea. Of course, the only sea on Tatooine's made of sand dunes.

What'd I go to this cantina for again? Oh right, Tookreek and the sensor computer!

quote:

Tookreek: Look at this mess. Our gang has enough problems without Jedi chasing Sith through our territory.

Quinine: The infamous Diago Hixan has trouble?

Tookreek: Our organization is under attack by a gang of Geonosians. Last week, they took over our spice warehouse.

Tookreek: Killed everyone, including a fellow lieutenant who had the only way of contacting Diago.

For a legendary gangster on par with Risha's weird crime-crush, Diago seems weirdly hands-off.

quote:

Tookreek: Diago hates it when we bother him. He got so angry, he killed a krayt dragon. Gave us lieutenants one fang to share.

Tookreek: Only the lieutenant with the krayt dragon fang can speak to Diago, and you helped kill the men I was sending to get it.

Quinine: I'll give you the fang – and you'll get me that sensor computer.

Tookreek: My deceased associate kept the fang at the spice warehouse. Place is crawling with Geonosians. Won't be easy.

Of course it won't be easy. If it were easy, Risha wouldn't need me. Crawling into a Geonosian hive is par for the course for this treasure hunt so far.

quote:

Tookreek: Discouraging those Geonosians from sticking around will give us leverage with the boss. Just a suggestion.

So the Geonosian thing's kind of a detour, but overall we're still pretty much on-track. Tookreek's setting up the meeting with Diago, I grab the fang, we convince him to cough up that sensor computer, and somewhere inbetween a bunch of Geonosians get shot. Couldn't be simpler.

Now I just have to hope I don't run into any more complications. My sunburn's really starting to itch.

##End Log##

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Got a farmboy, got a wookie, now you've got a Jedi in a brawl at a cantina. Now giving 2:1 odds on her needing to hire your ship, if anyone's interested.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

Got a farmboy, got a wookie, now you've got a Jedi in a brawl at a cantina. Now giving 2:1 odds on her needing to hire your ship, if anyone's interested.

That's something we haven't really seen so far: a companion who acts like they're the one giving orders. Maybe the Sith inquisitor's first companion is a little like that...

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Dolash posted:

quote:

Nariel Pridence: You want to leave me alone. You want to stop bothering me.

Chomm: You're really starting to annoy me. Men!
That's a pretty sorry attempt at mind trickery from the Jedi there. Should have cut the arm off the ugly one to make a point.

Glazius posted:

That's something we haven't really seen so far: a companion who acts like they're the one giving orders. Maybe the Sith inquisitor's first companion is a little like that...
It'd be nice to see, but I think pretty much all the companions fall into the standard sidekick template, albeit with varying levels of sarcasm or adoration. Missed opportunity, considering KOTOR2 did such interesting things with your followers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inferior posted:

That's a pretty sorry attempt at mind trickery from the Jedi there. Should have cut the arm off the ugly one to make a point.

Which one's the ugly one?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

^^^

quote:

That ensemble would definitely be improved if the arms were taken off.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 37: “SEE YOU IN HELL, CHARLES DARWIN!”

Previously posted:

The SAND PEOPLE are on the rampage, launching brutal attacks against the isolated settlements of TATOOINE. This may be almost certainly is linked to the disappearance of Jedi anthropologist MASTER ERIZ VOSSAN, who seems to have some sort of EVIL LAWRENCE OF ARABIA thing going. Following the advice of a beleaguered MALCOLM, the young Jedi JOLUNE MOL'NEUX travels to a fortified cave system in search of the missing Master...

: Oh good, it's the traditional Sand People greeting. A shot between the eyes.

: This must be the gloomiest place on Tatooine. Why are the Sand People even here? They're Sand People, not Rock People.

: Kind of space racist there, Jolune.

: Who really cares though, considering the Sand People are all total dicks?

: They have a long and glorious history of being total dicks, which I can respect.

: That's... different.

: Lighting rigs... gantrys... sculptures... ethnic pottery... sand... violence... This reminds me of Burning Man.

: *cough* Alright, so what did I miss?

: All the fighting. Good timing, by the way.

: Knock it off, Tharan... I think we're here.

[VIDEO: The Blueprint]

: These people, these marvellous, marvellous specimens, have been tested—no, purified--in the crucible of Tatooine's harsh environs.

: What do you mean “blueprint”?

: They are simple, but long after the Empire and Republic are gone, these people will remain.

: So will cockroaches, but no one sings hymns about them.

: Cockroaches can't win wars.

: The Jedi Order has a responsibility to weak and strong alike.

: How can I make you understand? They are the ultimate warriors, purified by hardship. We must follow their example, and cut away everything that would make us weak in the face of our adversaries-- the frail, the diseased!

: I have no choice. We must fortify the Republic with its strongest members, and send this army of light out against the darkness.

: An army of light that neglects the weak is no longer light.

: Objectio- oh, sh-!

: So “cast out” is a euphemism for “horribly killed” right? Just checking.

Master Vossan is the first Consular boss I would describe as challenging. He's a dual saber wielding Sentinel, so he can put out a lot of damage, and he's backed up by three Sand People Ragers. No, I don't know what they're angry about either.

Best way to start this fight is to use Force Lift to incapacitate Vossan quickly then take out his Sand People flunkies, who seem weak but can deal an irritatingly high amount of damage if you leave them be.

Once they're dead, focus on Vossan. He has a ton of HP and deals high damage with even his regular attacks, as well as having an AoE attack centred on himself and a bleeding damage effect he can apply to his normal strikes. He can also knock a character down for a time, preventing them from taking action, which can be a pain if you need healing.

He isn't especially difficult if you're patient (or if you remember to use your Heroic Moment ability) but his dps and the number of allies he brings to the fight can be a surprise.

Rowan just stands there for the whole fight too. He could've at least dropped a few grenades!

[VIDEO: So Ungrateful]

: I hear Lord Vivicar's voice. I've failed him, just as I failed my old friend Parkanas, when he died.

: Why does everyone mention Parkanas?

: I don't know. But I keep thinking about our first mission, our ill-fated mission to Malachor Three.

: As we tried to escape, I fell behind, and he ran back to save me. He became trapped-- we had to leave him. It was my weakness that killed him.

: It's hard to lose a friend like that, but you have to move on.

: I am trying to, that is the purpose of this project.

: Your friend died saving you, so now everyone should stop being selfless? R'andayn would love you.

: You must kill me-- I was weak on Malachor Three, and I'm weak now. But you must take my findings before the Council! Promise me that!

: R'andayn would really love you. But I'm not her. Let's see how you feel once Lord Vivicar no longer has a hold on you.

You can choose to kill instead of cure him, the same as with the previous Masters. Something that's been bothering me though- you've only been sent on this mission because you alone have the cure... but you could be choosing to kill them all... so if you did choose to kill them all, why would the Council keep sending you after the infected Masters? “Oh, I'm sure she'll choose to not murder them this time.”
:psyduck:

: So.. er... Should we be doing something?

: No, this is normal.

: You folks have a funny idea of normal.

: You should meet my girlfriend.

: yayyyyy

: I almost-- I almost wish you hadn't done that.

: Of all the ungrateful, impudent! This Jedi saved your life!

: Lord Vivicar twisted my mind, and I'm glad to be free of him; still, my discovery remains. From these Sand People, I have learned the key to building the unstoppable army. I feel I must bring these findings to the Republic, yet I can't shake this feeling that some truths are best buried in the sand.

: Ugggh, this again?

MORALITY CHOICE: Do the ends justify the blah-de-blah blah? (the answer is maybe)

: Also, the Sand People haven't been able to conquer Tatooine in ten thousand years, despite the only opposition being Jawas and yokels...

: Hey!

: ... so maybe they're not quite the ultimate warriors you think they are.

: You're right. These records... are no more.

: Well, Jedi, I'm glad Master Eriz is alive and his old self. I'd best get back to Anchorhead myself. Sand Rot's acting up, and frankly, I sort of miss Darth Nurse's hollering.

: Thank you for all that you've done.

(robe glitch!)

BACK AT ANCHORHEAD SPACEPORT...

: Time to say “goodbye” to Tatooine.

: Goodbye isn't final enough. I think it's time to say “I will never return to this worthless dustball for as long as I live” to Tatooine.

: How's the rugged adventurer lifestyle working out for you then?

: Poorly.

: Me too. I'll be glad of a soft bed and a hot bath, assuming Fixy hasn't set fire to the bathroom again... Wait, is that...?

: What are you doing Seetoo?

: Just cataloguing Master Fess' remaining possessions. Which are outside the ship because... they... needed some air. I definitely didn't sell them to Pelkan gangsters. Nor did I have to win them back in a game of Klovakian Three-Card Suicide. Incidentally, isn't it a relief Master Fess turned out to be alive? I was so happy when I heard the news. So, so happy.

: I'm sure you were. Get everything on board, we're leaving.

: Splendid. Oh, and a package arrived for Master Cedrax. I left it in his quarters.

SO...

: We have a mystery. A package was hand-delivered to the ship. No name—aside from mine—no return address. The package contained a letter on flimsiplast, or space paper if you prefer, sealed inside a glass capsule. Nothing else.

: Maybe the letter has some answers.

: The capsule has a marvellously puzzling lock, I've never seen such craftsmanship. Once I get it open and read the letter, hopefully I can assuage my curiosity.

: Probably some old flame getting revenge on Tharan.

: They know better than to try getting Tharan's attention again.

: Plus, my exes tend to favour the direct approach-- you know; poison darts, nano-garottes, fuel-air explosives-- the usual fun and games.

: :stare:

: We need to check in with the boss first. You can play with the Lament Configuration later.

: He speaks of discoveries on Tatooine. We intend to hear his full report when he returns to Coruscant.

: Spoilers: pain makes you strong, charity makes you weak, Parkanas was a real cool dude.

: Parkanas? Did you discover anything more about the plaguemaster--

: Plague Lord.

: Plaguemaster--this Lord Vivicar?

: A connection between the events on Malachor Three and our current circumstances is clearly forming.

: No, really?

: Your sarcasm is noted. The Council will continue its own investigation into the matter. Meanwhile, hurry to Alderaan. So long as Lord Vivicar has control of even one Master, he will grow in power.

: I understand perfectly.

: Time for a new world!

: Blast off!

*VWOOOOOOSHHHH!*

: Where is all my stuff?

NEXT TIME: Diplomatic Impunity.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Sand People posted:

A violently xenophobic species from Tatooine, the Sand People are more formally referred to as the Ghorfa. Most at home in Tatooine’s endless deserts and canyons, the nomadic Sand People survive by hunting and raiding larger settlements and by raising banthas as mounts and for food, milk and materials. To outsiders, they can appear incomprehensibly hostile–but while virtually all encounters with Sand People end in violence, their culture is more complex internally. Sand People have strict taboos against showing exposed flesh except in very rare and specific circumstances and keep themselves wrapped in heavy coverings. Those who violate this sacred custom are banished from the tribe; a fate that typically ends in a lonely death in the desert. Despite their insular nature, Sand People are known to adopt and raise young children of other species orphaned by their attacks. Once these orphans reach adulthood, they are encouraged to leave the tribe and return to their own people. The history of the Sand People is maintained through the tales of revered tribal storytellers. Many of their legends describe a golden age of technological miracles, seemingly indicating the Sand People were once a highly advanced civilization. This had led to speculation that the Ghorfa are descended from the now extinct Kumumgah species that lived on Tatooine roughly thirty thousand years ago.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 14, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Nobody ever refers to Sand People more formally as anything other than Sand People. Don't even try to pretend, TOR.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

So... How is this supposed to work?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

my dad posted:

So... How is this supposed to work?

She's blind, not eyeless.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bruceski posted:

No, she literally has no eyes. Physically.

Just empty sockets. And those implant... things. What are they again?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Psion posted:

Nobody ever refers to Sand People more formally as anything other than Sand People. Don't even try to pretend, TOR.

I thought they were Tusken Raiders?

Bruceski posted:

Supposedly the Miraluka just have empty sockets, but you really only need eyebrows to express surprise. The eyes themselves don't do much of the work (well, besides the whole seeing thing).
edit: beaten

I'd guess the implant things just cover up the sockets because you know, ew.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Inferior posted:

: Also, the Sand People haven't been able to conquer Tatooine in ten thousand years, despite the only opposition being Jawas and yokels...

: Hey!

: ... so maybe they're not quite the ultimate warriors you think they are.
Then again, their codex entry has raiding listed as on-par with actual pastoralism as their mode of economy, and you can't space-kill a space-cow and space-milk it. They're probably content with getting loot and shinies by smashing up random outposts and wasting lone farmsteaders, so that one day their kids can come back to smash up and waste the kids of their victims. Environmentally sustainable assholery is really important on a planet like Tattooine, and you need to use every part of the nerfherder.

quote:

Sand People have strict taboos against showing exposed flesh except in very rare and specific circumstances...
That's certainly one way to be discreet about it, Codex.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #047
Stardate: When things start heating up.

Okay Quinine, keep it together now. Clear thoughts. Try using your head. No, your other head. Take it from the top.

The spice warehouse was about as inconspicuous as any big building in the middle of the desert could be. It might've stuck out like a sore thumb on Coruscant, even without the army of Geonosians crawling all over it, but on Tatooine the desert seems to provide plenty of room to hide in.

The Geonosians made for a weird fight. They didn't try to explain themselves (can they speak Basic?), they just came straight at us with their weird blasters and pointy sticks.

For all their hissing and scary bug faces, though, they weren't really great fighters. Me and Bowdaar hardly broke a sweat, beyond what Tatooine had already done to us.

We found what looked like the foreman's office. No sign of any of Diago's old gang, not even the bodies. I don't want to think about it too hard, but... well, the Geonosians have gotta be eating something out here.

I'd just put my hands on the fang when I heard footsteps behind us.

Recommended for quite the first impression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8Q2DaHHWc

Turns out, those feet were attached to the long, long legs of a Sith Lord. Talk about being tempted by the Dark Side, whew.

quote:

Bowdaar: She makes my fur itch.

Vaverone Zare: Is that absurd little trophy the reason Diago sent you?

Quinine: This krayt dragon fang is the key to Diago's heart. Didn't you know?

Vaverone Zare: You're funny. I suppose can work with that.

Okay, let's break this down. Pro: She thinks you're funny.

Con: She's a Sith Lord.

quote:

Quinine: I met a Jedi who said you're pure evil.

Vaverone Zare: You mean little Nariel? Poor girl. Thinks she's my nemesis. Very sad.

Vaverone Zare: I've been prodding Diago for weeks. Raid a business here, kill a lieutenant there – but it's like he hasn't noticed.

More evidence for the “Diago's a hands-off boss” pile. He better actually exist, I don't want this to turn out to be some elaborate underworld inside joke.

quote:

Quinine: Maybe he just doesn't have time for chitchat?

Vaverone Zare: Grand Moffs tremble before me. How powerful must Diago be to not care what I do to him?

Vaverone Zare: I'm seeking a small crimson box – one curio of many in Diago's personal collection.

Vaverone Zare: I'll give him whatever he wants for the box, but I need to arrange a meeting. Can you do that?

She's being pretty reasonable, for a Sith. From what I'd seen and heard already I was expecting something a little more crazy. Still, I don't take a job without checking a few details first.

If a Sith's willing to go through all this trouble for it, it's gotta be some kind of powerful artifact of pure evil, probably running on orphan tears and puppy-blood.

quote:

Vaverone Zare: The contents are irrelevant.

Yup, thought so.

Did this planet somehow just get even hotter?

quote:

Vaverone Zare: And don't deny that you desire me. I'm the closest you'll ever get to perfection.

Vaverone Zare: I offer the chance of a lifetime. All I ask is that you arrange a meeting for me with Diago.

Quinine: I'd really like to help you – truly – but I can't.

I don't even know for sure if I've got a meeting with Diago, I can't go making promises for every Sith that comes along. Even the hot ones. The really hot ones...

You didn't need to tell me what was coming next. I thought I'd be smart and draw first, but trying to outdraw a Sith turns out to be harder than it looks.

Her block was up before I could draw a bead. She wasn't even trying.

And, oh yeah, maybe you forgot, but they can use the Force.

Boy was my face red. Thanks for all the help by the way, Bowdaar. Still, my lucky day – she didn't feel like killing me yet. I think that's probably another good sign.

And that's it. I think she's just sort of decided that I'm working for her anyway. Which is sort of hard for me to say no to, considering she's a real, live Sith Lord. I don't want to do her evil bidding, but what am I supposed to do? For now, I'll try ignoring the problem and see if it goes away. A cold shower might help.

quote:

Vaverone Zare: Until we meet again...

Bowdaar: Jedi and Sith before sundown, destruction before sunrise.

Quinine: You come up with that saying by yourself?

Bowdaar, continuing to prove unusually wise in the ways of women.

But anyway. The important thing is I've got the fang, as well as at least two more crazy Force-wielding ladies in my life. Time to get over to Diago's and get that sensor computer, right?

Wellll don't tell Risha but I got a little sidetracked. It's a long way through the desert and the mountains to the summer palace, and along the way we ducked in out of the heat at one of those settler farms dug into the sand. Not long after we went inside, I found myself talking to a visiting Republic ambassador.

quote:

Tre Nareves: If I'm not mistaken, you have the look of the Core Worlds about you. A generation or two on Tatooine, there's just something that shows.

Tre Nareves: I am Tre Nareves, goodwill ambassador to Tatooine for the Galactic Republic. Dare I hope you're here in the Republic's service as well?

Quinine: I'm usually pretty friendly to its cause. You need a hand?

Tre Nareves: I believe we might, yes.

Tre Nareves: I am here to gain grassroots support for the Republic by offering our technology to defend Tatooine's settlements.

Pretty bold considering he didn't have any muscle to protect him if things went sour. But what are the chances of that?

quote:

Quinine: That sounds ominous.

Tre Nareves: I really was trying to help.

That just makes it sound worse.

quote:

Tre Nareves: I have perimeter sensors that detect specific life-forms. They'll help the settlers protect themselves from wraids, Sand People, that sort of thing.

Tre Nareves: Unfortunately, in trying to set the sensors, several locals were killed. By wraids, Sand People, that sort of thing.

Tre Nareves: And now, um, they're blaming me for the deaths unless I set up the sensors myself.

That's about par for the course when the Republic sets out to fix something. I've got a funny feeling the job's less “earning goodwill” and more “keeping Tre from getting mobbed”. No wonder he's hanging out by the speeders, dressed to fly.

quote:

Tre Nareves: Oh. That's very... encouraging.

Tre Nareves: The locals all agreed that the best spot for the sensors was in some of the taller rock embankments. They should last longer that way.

You could say the same for the settlers, but that's probably not the most 'diplomatic' advice. Farmers can be surprisingly touchy when you tell them to move.

Well, these sensors had already cost a few good people their lives, so I figured lending a hand by setting them up was the least I could do. Besides, it'd help get my mind off of sexy Sith who somehow stay pale in all this heat.

Just like he said, there were rocky outcroppings all around the settlements where you could hide a simple sensor. Hardly seemed any trouble at all.

See? Easy.

I mean, okay, sometimes the rocks had Sand People guarding them, but on the whole not so bad.

To be honest, I have no idea what the Sand People's deal is beyond that everybody else spits after mentioning them and they're not big on talking before they start taking potshots. Fierce, sure, but not the worst I've ever been up against.

Not sure why they even need the sensors. With how flat the desert is you should be able to see raiders coming a good couple days before they reach you.

Hope he remembered to check if anoobas are a real thing and they're not just pulling the city boy's leg.

quote:

Tre Nareves: They want to discuss a formal alliance with the Republic.

Quinine: Tatooine is a dangerous place to call home.

Tre Nareves: You know, when I first came here, I admit I was hoping not to stay. I mean, the weather alone...

I gotta admit the bureaucrat's not all wrong. One of the things you find when you get out of the Core worlds is that rugged settler spirit. Hard-working, honest folks making their homes in some of the toughest land the galaxy has to offer.

Good thing I only have to visit, yeesh. Some of those guys have callouses the size of starships.

Okay, enough distractions. Let's check out Diago's summer palace. Hope he's got a pool, I could use a dip – although general advice here, if you get Bowdaar wet, better he stays downwind.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 1, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

drat, forgot the video. Added it above. Kind of worth watching since I don't think I conveyed the animation very well.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's like Vaverone Zare was written for you, Dolash. Quinine's worst nemesis: Sith Lords wearing tiny tank tops :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mort could wear that exact outfit :colbert:

Just, y'know. He'd have a shirt on under it.

• Locked thread