Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Phylodox posted:

"Why does it take place in a flying racist city?!?"
I remember a lot of people extremely offended by the race stuff in Infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

teethgrinder posted:

I remember a lot of people extremely offended by the race stuff in Infinite.

That was more because of how it was handled though. People weren't complaining that they couldn't identify with anything in the game because of it.

There's been talk of a pamphlet that implies the parents are thinking of sending Sam to a pray-the-gay-away camp, where is it? I just did another run through but I can't seem to find it. Or all the journals.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Cicadalek posted:

That was more because of how it was handled though. People weren't complaining that they couldn't identify with anything in the game because of it.

There's been talk of a pamphlet that implies the parents are thinking of sending Sam to a pray-the-gay-away camp, where is it? I just did another run through but I can't seem to find it. Or all the journals.

It's not a pamphlet. It's a cut out of a TV listing for a special about one of those pray-the-gay-away camps. It's in the eastern hall on the table with the lamp in front of the secret door. Close the folder and it'll be to the left of it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CapnBiggles posted:

So I've had this game pretty much spoiled for me three times by people I know sperging about it unsolicited, mostly in a negative light about how it's not really a game blah blah blah (I personally do not believe this), and I've been fairly diligent in trying to avoid anything. Is it still worth playing knowing the core of the narrative ending? I was really excited to try it.

I know this is from 2 pages ago but yes. I could easily tell where the main story was going but its still awesome how you find it all happened.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

OP got bit of a makeover - if anyone can think of anything that is missing let me know.

The Mary Sue's review is probably worth having in the OP, they're a female oriented geek culture website.

quote:

I hurried through the basement with the same urgency that drives me out of my own basement late at night, even though nothing was chasing me, even though it was just an imaginary basement. I’m not sure that “this game made me feel like I was actually in a basement” is the best endorsement I could give, but I admire anything that can push my brain’s buttons so easily.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not sure if this is a common thing, but after playing this game I have had the strangest desire to start a journal again. It's funny, I think seeing how so much of a person can be expressed in just a few scattered pages kinda rubbed me on it.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I just beat the game like 5 minutes ago and I had to come in here to say that this game ALMOST has a ghost in it. Listening to the Idle Thumbs podcast literally put the bullet in the head of the Allure of the Ghost for me. Every creepy ghost thing was not so creepy because I was so sure that there couldn't possibly be a ghost in it. Like zero percent chance of a ghost. This whole situation is hilarious to me.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
There is a ghost in one of Sam's notebooks so watch out for that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hakkesshu posted:

Got it, thanks!

Did anyone spot any Idle Thumbs references other than Phaedrus?

I'm honestly surprised the puffin binder didn't have a wizard on the back. But there's probably a wizard somewhere in that darn house.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Welp, I'm pretty sure the wikipedia entry for the game is a giant spoiler first two lines in and I had one of my knuckle head friends ruin it for me. :mad:

And according to another friend the wiki entry is pretty much intended to be a spoiler thanks to :jerkbag:gamer:jerkbag: outrage.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Unless it's been edited out, the two introductory lines and the first paragraph both have nothing major.

Edit: Looking at some of these edits. I really hate Wikipedia. It's basically peak sperg. Back and forth, passive aggressive editing of the game's genre and other dumb poo poo.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 20, 2013

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Sankis posted:

Unless it's been edited out, the two introductory lines and the first paragraph both have nothing major.

Welp, Then we won the worst lottery then, ah well. Seems like there's a lot more to the game though and I'll still enjoy it when I grab it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Economy Clown Car posted:

Welp, Then we won the worst lottery then, ah well. Seems like there's a lot more to the game though and I'll still enjoy it when I grab it.

Would you mind spoiler tagging what you read? I'm curious what was up there. I won't respond one way or the other whether it's true or not.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's no spoilers in the first two lines of the Gone Home wikipedia page.

However, in the Talk Page for that article, there's someone complaining that the game is simultaneously too short and too slow paced. He also equates length with quality. Like, literally. He refers to dollars per gameplay hour as a price/quality ratio.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Like, literally. He refers to dollars per gameplay hour as a price/quality ratio.

I have a friend who is like this. He says that hes disappointed if he doesn't get at least $1/per hour of gameplay. He's pretty much the worst gamer alive.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cocoham posted:

I have a friend who is like this. He says that hes disappointed if he doesn't get at least $1/per hour of gameplay. He's pretty much the worst gamer alive.

Jesus, how does he ever justify playing $60 AAA titles, then?

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I think the game was a good value, although realistically if you want better time / value I suggest reading some young adult LBGT fiction. Gone Home gives the same vibes / same story, just more interactive and easier to digest. "Something Like Summer" fits the bill, in that regard. Although you can finish a book sometimes just as fast as the game.

I was happy with the purchase, although I like games like this. I think 9.99 is a better price point.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Cocoham posted:

We've all been spoiled and come to expect 50+ hours of gameplay out of a $10 purchase. Personally I blame minecraft.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Flashing Twelve posted:

We've all been spoiled and come to expect 50+ hours of gameplay out of a $10 purchase. Personally I blame minecraft.

And in some cases we're still playing and enjoying games that cost nothing. Like Crawl, Tome, Elona, pretty much all roguelikes in general. Nitronic Rush and so on.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I was just thinking what if something like Silent Hill Homecoming opened up like this and had this level of story telling in it, and it bums me out because that game was such a pile of garbage.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

blue squares posted:

Aside from Dear Esther that everyone has mentioned, are there any other games like this?

A halflife 2 mod called The Stanley Parable has some similarities. There's no combat and focused on incomplete/alternate narratives like Dear Esther. It's on Steam greenlight as a remake of the mod but I haven't paid attention to what that is exactly.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I really can not believe I payed $20 for this.

Bethesda has a website dedicated to downloading Daggerfall for free. Daggerfall is the best Elder Scrolls game out there, and can be enjoyed for dozens of hours.

...and some people out there try to justify 20 dollars for a weak lesbian romance that can be summed up in around 50 seconds.

COBRARocky fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 20, 2013

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

COBRARocky posted:

I really cant believe I payed $20 for this

Bethesda has a website dedicated to downloading Daggerfall for free. Daggerfall is the best Elder Scrolls game out there, and can be enjoyed for dozens of hours.

...and some people out there try to justify 20 dollars for a weak lesbian romance that can be summed up in around 50 seconds.

What were you expecting?

I just wonder if you went into the game thinking it was something else. Would you have bought it in the first place if you knew it was going to be an interactive exploration game and that it was not very long?

EDIT:

Also, as an aside. I don't think $20 was too unreasonable for the game. I really feel I got my $20 worth for an experience that was really satisfying.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 20, 2013

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Lord Windy posted:

What were you expecting?

I just wonder if you went into the game thinking it was something else. Would you have bought it in the first place if you knew it was going to be an interactive exploration game and that it was not very long?

No you see, Daggerfall is a first-person game, and Gone Home is ALSO a first person game, ergo they are the same genre and should be judged by the same standards. This makes sense because

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

COBRARocky posted:

I really can not believe I payed $20 for this.

Yeah I mean Dota is a free game and I've played it for roughly 920 hours or so. I would also say the story is more than just that it is a huge part of it. (and Daggerfall is way too dated for me sorry)

E: I love how people feel like they got baited into buying this thinking it was something else. Considering all of the trailers and info so far clearly state what this game is all about. Like they were really up front about telling everyone that this was a explorative narrative driven game.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

I don't think $20 was too unreasonable for the game. I really feel I got my $20 worth for an experience that was really satisfying.

I just didn't feel like I got $20 worth out of it, its just not something that was worth spending money on.

Its the kind of game you would put online for free download, I cant see it being packaged and bought. There are plenty of atmospheric exploration games... But they are usually freeware.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

This one wasn't and many people in this thread and elsewhere seemed to have gotten $20 worth of enjoyment out of it. I'm sorry you didn't. I'd suggest waiting for reviews for anything you're on the fence about. Stuff like this is always going to be very divisive.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Pseudoscorpion posted:

No you see, Daggerfall is a first-person game, and Gone Home is ALSO a first person game, ergo they are the same genre and should be judged by the same standards. This makes sense because

To be fair, Daggerfall is the best Elder Scrolls game.

I get that quality and game length don't correlate with one another but if you don't enjoy a 2 hour game you spent 20 bucks on I understand being upset.

Legit question: did any of the promo material indicate how short it was?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Game length is not something that's usually brought up in promotional material unless it's absurdly long and can be used as a selling point.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I actually expected it to be shorter than it was.

I say that because I forgot houses in America tend to have basements. So I thought it was just going to be East Wing, West Wing, Top Floor and the Attic before I found the key to the basement.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Sankis posted:

This one wasn't and many people in this thread and elsewhere seemed to have gotten $20 worth of enjoyment out of it. I'm sorry you didn't. I'd suggest waiting for reviews for anything you're on the fence about. Stuff like this is always going to be very divisive.

It currently has a 90% on Metacritic, so I was very hyped up for it. I dunno, I guess I wanted a spooky ghost game, not a game about fighting the patriarchy.

I did like a few things about it, It showed a very efficient way to have a story without interrupting gameplay.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The prevalence of the ghost game thing with this game is weird. Did you just expect it would be because it's in a dark mansion? Honestly I might have assumed the same thing if I didn't listen to Idle Thumbs.

Just because I can't find anyone else to give it to and you seem cool enough, if you want this copy of Crusader Kings 2 I got from preordering EU4 you can have it and pretend you spent $20 on that instead :v:.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 20, 2013

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

COBRARocky posted:

I did like a few things about it, It showed a very efficient way to have a story without interrupting gameplay.

I really want to see them take this and go in a different direction. Exploration is really fun and they are really good at story telling, so maybe like a crime scene investigator, cold case detective, medium trying to lay ghosts to rest.

I don't think they can really pad out the house anymore and be more fun, so instead try to include more houses.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Gone Home has a depth of emotional honesty that I've never seen in a game before, that is why I feel the price is justified. If you think reading a plot summary on wikipedia is the same as playing through this game, then I don't think you would have gotten anything out of it no matter how long it was.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
I totally thought it was a spooky ghost game until I watched the trailer on Steam.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sankis posted:

The prevalence of the ghost game thing with this game is weird. Did you just expect it would be because it's in a dark mansion? Honestly I'd probably have thought the same thing if I didn't listen to Idle Thumbs.

Just because I can't find anyone else to give it to, if you want this copy of Crusader Kings 2 I got from preordering EU4 you can have it and pretend you spent $20 on that instead :v:.

Aw, not even for those of us who liked the game but have CK2 on their wishlist? :q:

I don't understand how you can spend 20 bucks on this game and not feel like you got 20 bucks out of it. There are a shitload of journal entries, hidden subplots, and nice little touches (a lot of the items in the game have Haunted Mansion/Ghost related things to them, kinda taking little jabs at how it's set up like a ghost game) and none of these things are in any way shoved into your face, relatively speaking. I didn't even know the parents had plots until I read the thread. I just though they had little details to them, like "dad wrote crazy loving fiction" and stuff.

Just toss YOSPOS's Rule 36 on this thread or something, if you're going to discuss the game then you can at least do it the service of talking past its cheap-rear end pricepoint. It's not like you spent $60 on this game, and if full-fledged extremely deep 20-hour-long games get sold for $60, this is exactly the kind of game I'd expect to get for $20 anyway. Simple premise, lots to explore, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
From what i've seen of this, its sort of like Dear Esther with less impressive visuals and set pieces ,but a more coherent story in a detailed environment. I would probably buy it if the price wasn't so high. I'm not trying to be all COST/TIMEPLAYED, I just don't feel like a 90s house tour with a neat short story is worth that to me. Interesting to see how the story really touched some people though. Maybe i'll watch somebody else play it, as there doesn't seem to be much besides a floating head camera that can hold objects and throw them in terms of gameplay.

(I probably already spoiled myself on the twist) :smith:

As for the horror assumption people seem to be having, I would go for the cover art being the main reason that someone would expect something spooky. The dark mansion with a scratchy font is pretty formulaic of horror titles to me.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Sankis posted:

The prevalence of the ghost game thing with this game is weird. Did you just expect it would be because it's in a dark mansion? Honestly I might have assumed the same thing if I didn't listen to Idle Thumbs.

Just because I can't find anyone else to give it to and you seem cool enough, if you want this copy of Crusader Kings 2 I got from preordering EU4 you can have it and pretend you spent $20 on that instead :v:.

I already have that game, thanks anyway though. That's a kind offer. Go ahead and give that to death .cab for qt

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I totally thought it was a spooky ghost game until I watched the trailer on Steam.

Well see there's the thing. Creepy house, mysteriously ransacked, nobody home at 1:30, and someone's terrified sobbing on the voicemail begging for your younger sister to answer the phone. And it's a story about young queer love.

So I guess the dissonance made me a bit angry. I just get the feeling I didn't get what I payed for.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

If it does sound at all interesting to you Megafunk I'd hold off for the inevitable steam daily deal. I feel like watching it would take something out of it.

death .cab for qt posted:

Aw, not even for those of us who liked the game but have CK2 on their wishlist? :q:

PM me your steam name or add me on Steam if you actually want it. Username is Sankis and I have the same avatar there as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Yeah, i'll hold out for it to be cheaper, I guess. If anything the short time it takes to go through is a blessing considering my growing backlog. I like exploring poo poo too, I would pay good money for a game that's just dozens of cool environments to stroll around in.

• Locked thread