Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Urghghghghg. Since I'm unemployed at the moment (after 9 years in an office job), I agreed to do some work at a retail store owned by a friend. The idea was that I'd make sure that a product line I know particularly well is properly stocked, new products are listed on the website, we don't miss out on any promotions from the manufacturer, etc. However, it seems that every time I go in, something happens that prevents me from actually doing the work. Like someone else needs to use the computer I'm supposed to use. Or the database is offline, so I can't update anything. I end up spending a lot of time doing boring poo poo that I hate, or ineffectually helping customers with products I don't know, or just sitting around because the other employee has to do something that can only be done on the computer that is also the cash register. I'm only doing one or two shifts per week, so I can't just pick things up the next day, and the idea is that others shouldn't have to worry about this product line. Also, when the boss is trying to train me on the use of their software, he's either clicking around lightning fast or complaining about how lovely the software is. And the pay is poo poo. I'm already regretting taking this job :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

m5ind posted:

And leaving poo poo where it doesn't belong gets old quick. Just hand it to someone, don't shove it between pallets of things, especially if it's perishable.

It's especially great when they go through some effort to prevent perishables from going to waste, but they're too drat lazy to just put it back in the freezer. I couldn't count how many times I've found frozen goods in the drink coolers, as if they would ever be cold enough to preserve it.

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's especially great when they go through some effort to prevent perishables from going to waste, but they're too drat lazy to just put it back in the freezer. I couldn't count how many times I've found frozen goods in the drink coolers, as if they would ever be cold enough to preserve it.

I usually deal with the opposite. People will leave things like eggs and fresh chicken in the freezers right across from where they're supposed to go in they're respective coolers. Of course, we have to claim those as losses when that happens. I guess they think they're doing us a favor by keeping it cold? I dunno, I just hate when good food is wasted by people being lazy.

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out
Hey guys, sorry for the management rant but can I please get some applicants who are loving qualified to work in retail?

I manage a smallish yet high end pet supply store. I need to hire 3 people between both my stores, but I can't get an application from a human who has worked in retail before. I understand everyone needs to start somewhere but I'm not going to hire you kid, because you are still in high school and by the time you are trained working 15 hours a week you are going to graduate and move away. Same thing for you, Joe Applicant, Esq. Take your JD off your retail resume, I'm not going to call you back because I know you don't want to be here.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mookerson posted:

Hey guys, sorry for the management rant but can I please get some applicants who are loving qualified to work in retail?

I manage a smallish yet high end pet supply store. I need to hire 3 people between both my stores, but I can't get an application from a human who has worked in retail before. I understand everyone needs to start somewhere but I'm not going to hire you kid, because you are still in high school and by the time you are trained working 15 hours a week you are going to graduate and move away. Same thing for you, Joe Applicant, Esq. Take your JD off your retail resume, I'm not going to call you back because I know you don't want to be here.

How much are you paying and where? Seems fairly relevant if you can't get qualified applicants.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
This has been making the rounds on Facebook today, thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it: "Maybe you get bad customer service because you’re a bad customer"

You asked: “Why can’t I ever f*cking get good customer service?” Well, ma’am, that might have something to do with you being a vulgar, miserable, malicious person. Maybe you get bad customer service because you’re a bad customer. Did you ever consider that possibility?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

mookerson posted:

Yeah the pay is probably an issue here there might not be a market for good applicants at the wage you are offering.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mookerson posted:

Nobody can live on 15 hours a week of minimum wage and the people that would even consider it have other stuff going on, hope this helps. You're offering sub-SSI payment money, which isn't enough to live on itself. Also if you are hiring for retail but can't handle high turnover I have bad news.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mookerson posted:

Take your JD off your retail resume, I'm not going to call you back because I know you don't want to be here.

These are who you want: second jobs for adults. No, they don't want to be there, but they have the brains to do the job well and understand how to show up on time and put in their work. You get a intelligent worker, and they get some extra presents for their kids at Christmas. Win/win.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

mookerson posted:

Same thing for you, Joe Applicant, Esq. Take your JD off your retail resume, I'm not going to call you back because I know you don't want to be here.

I have more bad news for you: with a few exceptions nobody wants to be in retail, but sometimes it's either that or not being able to pay your bills. And a college degree is not a guarantee of good employment anymore.

I also think it's a little strange that you apparently want applicants to omit stuff on their applications. Leaving out really significant information like that is a big deal with a lot of employers, not so much because of what it is usually but just the fact that you weren't honest on your application. Not that I necessarily think your store is going to do some in-depth investigation on this, but just that applicants tend to err on the side of caution with this stuff for good reason.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Kimmalah posted:

I also think it's a little strange that you apparently want applicants to omit stuff on their applications. Leaving out really significant information like that is a big deal with a lot of employers, not so much because of what it is usually but just the fact that you weren't honest on your application. Not that I necessarily think your store is going to do some in-depth investigation on this, but just that applicants tend to err on the side of caution with this stuff for good reason.

There's nothing dishonest about omitting information that isn't relevant. Your resume isn't meant to be an exhaustive autobiography; it's a marketing document that should present you in the best possible light. You should never include anything that isn't true, but feel free to omit anything you don't think is helpful.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
So a large/well known toy/baby store company (I won't name it so that people can reply to this without fear) is rolling out a store in my city. I'm thinking of applying, since I'm currently trapped in a call center at the moment and it makes me want to die a little (a lot).

I previously worked at a Dollarama so Im familiar with lovely parents dropping off their kids to be babysat by the aisles of toys and cleaning up bio waste from the aisles.

People who have worked at toy stores before...can you tell me a bit about your experiences? Should I ever bother?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mookerson posted:

Are dead people applying? I'm not sure who beyond the infirm or the recently deceased can't handle retail.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I just lost my job today (not retail) and reading this thread is a laugh, so I'll throw my lot in.

It was only in Christmas 2010 I got my first job, and this was at the aforementioned 'R' US line of stores. I was assigned as the door person/greeter/whatever and had to uphold the fantastic new holiday-time policy... DO NOT ALLOW CARRIER BAGS INTO THE STORE. Ho-ly-poo poo, the daily amount of anger and disdain probably could have powered the store itself. Now I can empathise as no one wants to hand over their poo poo to strangers, but I sure got my fair share of shouting, abuse, "I want to speak to the manager", "I'm filing a complaint", "Well then I'm not shopping HERE again!".

Probably the worst was a guy and his lady friend who thought he was king poo poo for insulting me, was drat tempting to hand back my fist into his fat loving smug face;
:): Hi there, collecting your belongings?
:jerkbag:: Ugh... Yes I'm here to collect-5673894532 CAN YOU REMEMBER THAT?
:what:: Yes thanks... I just need the last few digits.

Strange things happen in retail I guess. Once I had to look after a little girl and her dog while the mother walked around the store, because they locked themselves out of their house and were passing the time? People who try to come back through the one way entrance gate, then there are the douchebags who come through with their bicycles (Who does this seriously!). Then of course one day I was told some guy came in with a knife and tried to rob the front desk before my shift, then the store detective gave me a hit list of known thieves and to call him if I see any.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone is qualified to work in retail. I'm not sure where this requirement came from to only hire non educated adults with multiple years of experience. That job is perfect for a high schooler and you failing to find good people is a failure of yours to do your job well. I see this at fast food places too. Stop being selective- even great places to work at major companies have difficultly finding "great" people. Stop fighting for the same top 10% of qualified applicants. Be better than HR, think outside of the box and "take a chance" (I.e. make a perfectly rational circa 2007 hiring choice).

I'm restraining myself from getting angrier than necessary but your disillusioned rant is part of the employment problem in this country.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
^^ yeah I had to reword this a few times because he's one of the few actually posting here but it is pretty much a huge part of the problem.
Everyone wants the fabled masked man who can come to your store at all hours with no family, no friends, and no future prospects that will never leave and work for next to nothing.

mookerson posted:

The issues are

A- It's retail
B- It's retail
C- It's 15 hours a week (or was that an example?)
D- It's retail, no one wants to be there.

You seem to be expecting a person who isn't college educated and isn't in High School either with no job, with experience in retail or am I mistaken? And if it's small high end pet retail, I'm assuming there isn't exactly a wealth of knowledge necessary.

Retail doesn't require experience, it requires at best 4 hours of doing it and learning a few rules.

It always makes me laugh when i see retail places that ask for a year or two of experience in retail, for base level pay.

I've actually seen a store ask for 4 years+ experience for 10 dollars an hour US, in New York. (Only notable because a good number of clothing retailers offer 9.5+ for just getting the job)

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 21, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

epenthesis posted:

There's nothing dishonest about omitting information that isn't relevant. Your resume isn't meant to be an exhaustive autobiography; it's a marketing document that should present you in the best possible light. You should never include anything that isn't true, but feel free to omit anything you don't think is helpful.

Still, by that logic information like this should be included. Unless you're weird like this guy and decide "No degree holders in my store, they don't want to be here unlike everyone else! :downs: " Like this is honestly the first time I've heard of someone's degree not being at least somewhat helpful and I think most applicants would have assumed the same.

Then there could also be issues like time gaps in your application, unless you just happened to work all through college too. And I know employers care about why there's 3-4 years of your life unaccounted for on your application because you decided that your time as a student wouldn't present you in the best light.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Still, by that logic information like this should be included. Unless you're weird like this guy and decide "No degree holders in my store, they don't want to be here unlike everyone else! :downs: " Like this is honestly the first time I've heard of someone's degree not being at least somewhat helpful and I think most applicants would have assumed the same.

Then there could also be issues like time gaps in your application, unless you just happened to work all through college too. And I know employers care about why there's 3-4 years of your life unaccounted for on your application because you decided that your time as a student wouldn't present you in the best light.

Overqualification is a thing, so I can understand leaving a degree off of a resume. Also, to account for the time, just say you dropped out. College drop outs are the perfect retail employees from the perspective of management. You know they have some education but have no great ambitions in life!

(Note - not stereotyping people who didn't complete college, just speculating at how retail management views them.)

Basically, my view is that if you know you can handle the job (but you have to be honest with yourself), if you can lie your way past all the bullshit barriers, more power to you! All these screening mechanisms are totally hosed anyway, designed to make sure that they only recruit the perfect retail drone, which doesn't exist.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I just think it's really idiotic to exclude people because "obviously they won't want to work here" when NOBODY wants to work in retail. All my coworkers at every store I've worked were always job-hunting and trying to come up with some escape plan to get out of the store regardless of how perfectly qualified they were. It's just the nature of a lovely business and it's dumb to write off a big group of people and then complain about how you can't find anyone qualified.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

cuntvalet posted:

So a large/well known toy/baby store company (I won't name it so that people can reply to this without fear) is rolling out a store in my city. I'm thinking of applying, since I'm currently trapped in a call center at the moment and it makes me want to die a little (a lot).

I previously worked at a Dollarama so Im familiar with lovely parents dropping off their kids to be babysat by the aisles of toys and cleaning up bio waste from the aisles.

People who have worked at toy stores before...can you tell me a bit about your experiences? Should I ever bother?

Is it just the just toy, baby, or baby/toy rolling out together? If you can get into the baby store, you may prefer that, as you do not get nearly as many kids in there. There are metrics for selling protection plans, people applying for credit cards in either store.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Is it just the just toy, baby, or baby/toy rolling out together? If you can get into the baby store, you may prefer that, as you do not get nearly as many kids in there. There are metrics for selling protection plans, people applying for credit cards in either store.

I'm not too sure which version of the giraffe store it is

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

cuntvalet posted:

I just finished my notice at the toy store last week. Technically I'm on a leave of absence so I can go back during christmas if I get desperate. I've heard the baby store is better to work at but really honestly most of my headaches came from adults. The kids are typically (BUT NOT ALWAYS) ok to deal with. I was ok working there for about a year and a half before management went downhill and all the good workers started leaving. The job itself was ok but you better be prepared to deal with lovely customers who want the toys NOW. "My daughter's birthday is TOMORROW!! I can't wait for you to get a new shipment, or to order online. I need it NOW"

You can read my past posts if you want to see some of my customer interactions. Overall I don't think it was any worse than any other retail job.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
So I'm a former retail goon, and the reason I'm "former" is because I got a job at a hotel. Seriously, it's a thousand times better. If you can get in at a good business class place, like a Hilton or Marriott, or if you live in a bigger city and can find work at a 4/5 star place, it's such a massive step up. I worked at a big resort in a tourist town for 3 years, and I just started at a boutique in downtown Chicago, and although both have their flaws it's still a thousand times better than any retail job I've had.

People are generally spending more money, so they'll feel rather entitled, but as a rule because they're coming for vacation, they'll be calm and chill, or if they're coming for work they'll be trying to be professional and are somewhat less likely to lose their poo poo completely in front of their coworkers.

Front office is good if you've got cashier experience, or if you have warehouse/stocking under your belt you could apply for events staff or setup or houseperson/house attendant - you're only in the public areas, so you're less likely to have to deal with poop and nasty bodily fluids (not that that will never come up, of course).

Depending on the location, it can be difficult to get a perfectly consistent schedule, and you'll probably work every single weekend and holiday, but for someone like me who doesn't give a gently caress about holidays it's really not bad at all.

For real, moving from a gas station to a hotel was the best decision career-wise ive made since i dropped out of university :v:

e: I'd be happy to give more specific suggestions via PM

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 21, 2013

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just gave my notice at Wal-Mart. Time to celebrate!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I would prefer to get a hotel job, where I live is a business trip destination as Cumberland Farms, Staples, Bose, Gulf Oil (now a subsidiary of Cumby's) and TJX all have their corporate HQs here.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SectumSempra posted:

^^ yeah I had to reword this a few times because he's one of the few actually posting here but it is pretty much a huge part of the problem.
Everyone wants the fabled masked man who can come to your store at all hours with no family, no friends, and no future prospects that will never leave and work for next to nothing.

The issues are

A- It's retail
B- It's retail
C- It's 15 hours a week (or was that an example?)
D- It's retail, no one wants to be there.

You seem to be expecting a person who isn't college educated and isn't in High School either with no job, with experience in retail or am I mistaken? And if it's small high end pet retail, I'm assuming there isn't exactly a wealth of knowledge necessary.

Retail doesn't require experience, it requires at best 4 hours of doing it and learning a few rules.

It always makes me laugh when i see retail places that ask for a year or two of experience in retail, for base level pay.

I've actually seen a store ask for 4 years+ experience for 10 dollars an hour US, in New York. (Only notable because a good number of clothing retailers offer 9.5+ for just getting the job)

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when I saw that post, but I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and ask what he was paying first. Being a retail manager makes you a retarded hypocrite pretty much just as a facet of the job, so I wouldn't be too hard on the guy.

If he can't retain people, kids or otherwise, obviously something about the job sucks. Could be management, could be the pay, could be the work, could be the customers. Probably it's all four.

The thing that really stands out to me is that he doesn't like training people because he thinks they're just gonna leave. Well, guess what? If you don't invest in your personnel, they're not gonna invest in your lovely pet store. If you can't make a comfortable working environment for your employees, they're not gonna stick around for the prestige of doling out fish to shitheads. If you can't pay a decent wage (or even a competitive one), what makes you think anyone but children or the most desperate of people will even take a second look at your store?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm still having woes with my shitlord boss. I was hoping that within a year of working with him a second time that eventually he'd get transferred. Unfortunately he has our coordinator under his thumb so he can manipulate him enough to where he can stay put even though many people hate him, including the store manager.

I caved in and finally put in a transfer myself and was able to tell my coordinator to his face that I wanted a transfer closer to home. A couple days later the store manager came up to me and said that he didn't want me to go and that he really appreciates what I done for him and the store and that they are putting their "foot down" on my manager. Which means my manager will put a half rear end effort for a week or two until the spotlight is off of him and he'll go back to his usual bullshit.

Things that the shitlord gets away with:

1. Three or four 20 minute smoke breaks a day.
2. Bullshits with employees from other departments for over an hour every opening shift he has.
3. Every shift throughout the day he spends about an hour shifting product around to cover shelf space, instead of you know, producing the product in the back.
4. Every order day that I'm off, he does a horrendous order. Constantly out of ad product and regular product, every loving time.
5. On his one closing shift, he spends an additional hour cooking and eating food with a skillet outside of his regular smoke breaks.
6. On his one closing shift, spends extra time bullshitting with other employees getting no work done, he just shifts product around until we're almost out of everything.
7. Has a poo poo attitude towards our store manager (a miracle he still has a job because of this, but again he successfully manipulates our coordinator.)
8. Last year, he was absent for about 45 shifts (plus a week and a month of sick leave).
9. Last year, tardy for about 30 shifts or so.
10. Talks massive poo poo about my personal life behind my back (other employees tell me about this).
11. Lately been on the phone a lot trying to get laid since his sugar mama dumped him for being an immature drunk.

I've worked with other managers in the past, none of them do what this guy does except occasionally #1. It's embarrassing that I'm an assistant and this guy is the lead of our department. The only reason he has a job because I do such a drat good job pulling my weight and the other 3 coworkers all have 20+ years experience in the business so they don't have to be "managed" to do their jobs.

I really miss the days where the worst part of my job was dealing with the customer...

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
If you get to the point where you are gonna go gently caress it and quit, first do this:

Call the store you want and ask to speak to that manager. Tell them you want to work their. They will be happy to take a fully trained person.

Quit.

Apply to the position at the tore you want.

They don't own you.
Source: I did this.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Buggiezor posted:

The job itself was ok but you better be prepared to deal with lovely customers who want the toys NOW. "My daughter's birthday is TOMORROW!! I can't wait for you to get a new shipment, or to order online. I need it NOW"

I think you'll probably run into this in most stores in some way or another. I used to get parents coming in to buy their kid baseball cleats on the day of their first game that season. And then of course they'd get incredibly pissed if we didn't have exactly what they were looking at because they were in such a hurry and somehow it was all our fault even though they waited until the absolute last minute. Yeah, poo poo happens and sometimes you have to get new shoes quick, but some just didn't plan ahead at all.

They were also usually the ones who didn't wear or bring socks with them to try the cleats on and would also be pissed that we didn't provide free socks (like actual socks, we had the little disposable stockings but that's all).

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I think you'll probably run into this in most stores in some way or another. I used to get parents coming in to buy their kid baseball cleats on the day of their first game that season. And then of course they'd get incredibly pissed if we didn't have exactly what they were looking at because they were in such a hurry and somehow it was all our fault even though they waited until the absolute last minute. Yeah, poo poo happens and sometimes you have to get new shoes quick, but some just didn't plan ahead at all.

They were also usually the ones who didn't wear or bring socks with them to try the cleats on and would also be pissed that we didn't provide free socks (like actual socks, we had the little disposable stockings but that's all).

Yeah, I got that same attitude in a dollar store, and even now at a call centre that same attitude because the dumbass customer left their poo poo to the last minute. I think its inescapable really.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kimmalah posted:

I had a guy once come into the store after we'd closed and cashed up and were about to leave, with his daughter in tow, wanting to buy a gameboy colour. On Christmas Eve. Thanks for making ten people feel like poo poo because you left your kid's Christmas present to 6pm the day before Christmas, rear end in a top hat.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

cuntvalet posted:

Yeah, I got that same attitude in a dollar store, and even now at a call centre that same attitude because the dumbass customer left their poo poo to the last minute. I think its inescapable really.

It is. We got the same thing in It. "Help, my thesis is due tomorrow and my flash drive is corrupted!" Surely, you backed it up...? Or even better is when something is due within half an hour to a few minutes. Or someone calling at 10PM, needing an override for registration. Sorry, that's... your adviser.

Best ones are when their computer melts down and they need it NOW, except we're waiting on parts.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

cuntvalet posted:

I leave things until the last minute, or until past the last minute, all the time. But when I do, I don't cop a loving attitude at people whose help I'm trying to get...because, you know, a little politeness and respect, tinged with the desperation that I feel every single time (which is nonetheless never enough to get me to avoid it the next time), will get you a long way.

I've never understood what it is about most people that makes them completely loving ignore the fact that all other human beings are independent actors, but when I worked retail I got to the point where I would spend most of my mindless drudgery time fantasizing about viciously murdering whichever problem customers stood out most in my mind.

Getting fired from Wal-Mart was in retrospect one of the best things to happen to me, employment-wise. I've said it before in this thread, but I would rather go back to Iraq than work for Wal-Mart for an equivalent time period.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just found out that the chain I work for is going to start doing secret shoppers and handing out fistfuls of surveys to customers. That's going to be fun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sankis posted:

I just found out that the chain I work for is going to start doing secret shoppers and handing out fistfuls of surveys to customers. That's going to be fun.

When you are deep in the throes of work at Walmart and your heart has turned to an icy rock, secret shopper reports are one of the side benefits of work, if you can get your hands on one. Just don't be one of the people that gets referenced by name.

"Said hello to greeter. Greeter was despondent after multiple attempts. . . Sporting goods associate did not greet or make eye contact. No one watching the floor in electronics. . . Watermelon endcap display cases empty."

In order:

-Back at the time I worked at Walmart (and they still had greeters), half the time it was a severely handicapped person in a wheelchair. The other half of the time the greeter would manage to creep you out or make you feel subtly sorry for them in a way that no other Walmart employee can. I did the greeting thing once when they had a problem involving a shift change, and before my hour was up I wanted to do anything else, even work in the bakery slave mine.

-If you visit the sporting goods section at a Walmart and there is one really old guy doing pretty much nothing there, you're lucky to have seen even that burst of activity.

-If Electronics is not understaffed, it ain't Walmart.

-If you think an empty watermelon display case is disappointing, wait until you get a load of the actual watermelons. I worked produce at a store where the manager was constantly in trouble with higher-ups for having loads of bad produce on display, and there is little in the universe that is more unsightly, or attracts flies faster, than a batch of overdue watermelons (the tomatoes attracted flies faster). Really nothing in that produce department was safe to eat unless it was a banana. People loving love bananas, keeping that up was a full time job. My manager, a married man, was seriously thinking of going to Iraq instead of working at Walmart.

The moral of the story is this: If you can kick, claw, scratch, or connive some way to survive without working in retail, do it. Working in retail will teach you respect for anyone in retail, which is worth something in this day and age, but retail will drive anyone who is nominally sentient insane.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Keeping with the 'last minute shopper' theme, had some jerk come to my store yesterday (big box home improvement who sponsors the guy that didn't break his leg). Guy bought a vanity kit that was chipped, okay we can do a return-rebill replacement. Got pissed off when I told him we needed to pull it down from top stock. Because there was an open kit back there two weeks ago when he bought his kit, so obviously he knows better than our guys in plumbing and he needs to show them where and how to do their job. Of course, they weren't back there when he tried to hunt them down because they were getting a lift. Oh, and there were "two kits" on the floor why can't we use those. Because they aren't the same kit, that's why. All in all we got him out in good time, but the jerk was going on about how he had a plumber waiting at home who charges by the hour, and how he should take our guys by the hand and show them where these kits are that we should use! I hope that plumber charges time and a half. The guy probably chipped the vanity himself trying to install it.

Otherwise, guy comes into the store to return a faucet. "You guys don't know what you're talking about sometimes, do you?" as a genuine question, not rhetorical. Do you really expect me to answer that?

Had another guy looking for the "DUI department". I get that he meant DIY, but that's the whole point of the entire store. It's like going to Autozone and asking where the stuff for cars is.

Finally, I'm getting moved to a department on the floor; it's a lateral movement so I won't be getting a raise and I'll remain part-time. I'm starting to worry there might be some (maybe mild) stonewalling going on, as I've been failing to 'make the cut' to interview for any full-time positions, even when my competition includes an incompetent man-child who is a borderline sexual predator. (Seriously, that guy gets an interview and I don't?)

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My favorite was always around christmas when we were out of stock of most of the popular toys.

Do you have X?
No, sorry. We're sold out.
When will you get more?
I'm not sure. But we get shipments every other day and you can come check back with us or call.
What do you mean you don't know? You don't know what's on your next shipment?
No I don't. (Do you really think I sit around and read every shipping transcript for every truck we're going to get? There's THOUSANDS of items on EACH truck)
Well, can you check The Back?1
I know we don't have any.
Can you check again? I really need this toy!
I've been back there several times today. We don't have it.
Well What do you suggest I do?! If I order it online it won't come in time! This is what my kid asked for and if they don't get it Christmas will be RUINED!!! :supaburn:
I suggest you try another store, or pick another gift.
YOU ARE SO UNHELPFUL I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER
Sure let me page them. (have fun waiting an hour. This time of year EVERYONE wants the manager)

1 The Back is a magical place where we have an unlimited supply of the exact item you are looking for. The employees are just mean and don't want you to have it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Buggiezor posted:

1 The Back is a magical place where we have an unlimited supply of the exact item you are looking for. The employees are just mean and don't want you to have it.

I worked in the men's clothing department at Sears when I was in high school, and truly The Back was a magical place. There was a plastic chair in there, so whenever someone sent us to THE BACK, we'd go relax for five minutes and get off our feet for a bit. :)

But yeah, we definitely didn't have X in size Y back there. If we did, it'd be out front where we can sell it.

Also - "Big and Tall" apparently means "so fat that even Santa disapproves." There were pants in the men's section I could have used for a tent.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

Had another guy looking for the "DUI department". I get that he meant DIY, but that's the whole point of the entire store. It's like going to Autozone and asking where the stuff for cars is.

I used to get a lot of people who would ask for the sporting goods department...in a store that sold nothing by sporting goods. Eventually I realized they usually meant the hunting/fishing section of the store, but it was still really confusing fielding those calls at first. It was kind of silly anyway because customers worked under the assumption that we were like a bigger store with employees assigned to every department. When really it was usually just one associate who floated around wherever they needed to be.

Also Buggiezor. that whole post brought back so many horrible memories. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sundae posted:

I worked in the men's clothing department at Sears when I was in high school, and truly The Back was a magical place. There was a plastic chair in there, so whenever someone sent us to THE BACK, we'd go relax for five minutes and get off our feet for a bit. :)

But yeah, we definitely didn't have X in size Y back there. If we did, it'd be out front where we can sell it.

Also - "Big and Tall" apparently means "so fat that even Santa disapproves." There were pants in the men's section I could have used for a tent.

I do not know how humans who wear above a size 13 shoe even found shoes before the Internet.