Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Splicer posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. No Frostlings, no Undead as playable sides :argh:

Just trying to imagine Dreadnought Frostlings. Would there be giant penguin musketeers?

On a more serious note I guess with the class/race choices any Frostling combination would play too similarly with freezing the map being your main concern every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I am disappointed with the lack of Tigrans. Many of my stacks in AoW 2 and Shadow Magic would include Cat Riders or Prowlers, mainly because I love melee-capable archers and things that can circumvent walls.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Just trying to imagine Dreadnought Frostlings. Would there be giant penguin musketeers?

On a more serious note I guess with the class/race choices any Frostling combination would play too similarly with freezing the map being your main concern every time.

Instead of steam power, they skipped right ahead to cold fusion :rimshot:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I hope there will be some sort of story catch-up included with the game because reading that dev journal made me realize I barely remember anything from the previous games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Triskelli posted:

Yes these are both very good reasons to include Frostlings thank you.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Taerkar posted:

I am disappointed with the lack of Tigrans. Many of my stacks in AoW 2 and Shadow Magic would include Cat Riders or Prowlers, mainly because I love melee-capable archers and things that can circumvent walls.

Yeah, I would have swapped Goblins with one of the series' more unique races. And while your LP is great, there's a good bit of lore that's difficult to find online, so a summary would be really appreciated.

EDIT: Undead Dreadnoughts would be loving :black101: though. Just imagine using smog to blot out the sun, stoking the furnaces of your infernal warmachines with the corpses of the vanquished, and your skeleton musketeers turned charcoal black stained from soot and charred by unholy flame.

:allears:

EDIT 2: Keep in mind this would be returning AoW I/II undead. I actually REALLY like the design and assumed backstory for the new Archon Undead. I imagine that the Archon eventually defeated the necromantic undead and were called back to whatever land they came from. Some stayed for whatever reason and the holy magic that empowered them faded, leaving them the withered husks you see today, desperately fighting to maintain their heritage and relics in a world that no more use for them.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 23, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I imagine if/when the game gets expansions, races will be part of that feature list. That being said, humans are always the most boring race to play in any of these types of games so gently caress humans, especially when they're just your usual stock standard fantasy Medieval humans. Give me the goddamn Tigrans!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The entire series is on sale for 50% off at gog this weekend. Is the earlier games worth going through if you only played shadow magic?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Found some quality screenshots of the Gamescom demo at Riotpixels.com http://ru.riotpixels.com/games/age-of-wonders-3/screenshots/

Also, looking at some of the chatter about the video and a ton of people are concerned about how mobile the cannons are, being able to move quite far and then fire. I do kinda agree that it's different from most strategy games, but with how important AoE attacks seem to be in this game I think that mobility is vital for cannons to align their lines of fire.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The cannons also seemed unable to fire every round without the engineers speeding them up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Both the cannons and the muskets were every other turn attacks without the engineers rushing them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

toasterwarrior posted:

Instead of steam power, they skipped right ahead to cold fusion :rimshot:

"gently caress this planet, got a comet to catch, peace out." - Artica. Actually im not sure if shes dead by the end of Shadow magic. :v:

That is now the lore reason why the Frostlings have left us, they cruise the stars aboard their comet surfing dreadnoughts. :colbert:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine if/when the game gets expansions, races will be part of that feature list. That being said, humans are always the most boring race to play in any of these types of games so gently caress humans, especially when they're just your usual stock standard fantasy Medieval humans. Give me the goddamn Tigrans!

Well, apparently these humans are budding Imperialists in the best traditions of the British Empire, with the Commonwealth having a focus on machines, technology, and expansionism (and racism, but maybe we can change that). So not QUITE stock standard fantasy humans, exactly.

So says the lore, anyways, not sure what would happen if you ended up rolling something like the arch-druid or whatnot for humans.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shadowmorn posted:

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-monster-dwellings-and-independent-settlements/

The Archons have become the very thing they hunted and hated, it seems.

Not exactly. Look at the screenshot and the quote. "A city built for the Archon Dead. It is said this site is so ancient that the dead have gone restless in their long wait for the Trump Of Resurrection."

They ain't hateful or destructive like the 'old' Undead were, just bored and annoyed. "I just can't keep sleeping anymore! There's things to DO! Let's have a look around. Can't hurt."

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

DrManiac posted:

The entire series is on sale for 50% off at gog this weekend. Is the earlier games worth going through if you only played shadow magic?

Age of Wonders 1 is a great game with a pretty different style than AoW2.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is primarily an improved version of Age of Wonders 2.

Your call on AoW2, but AoW1 is sufficiently different enough to feel fresh rather than iterative.

I generally rate the Halfling/Water Arc of AoW2 right alongside the Dwarven/good arc of AoW1, except the former is more required and the latter is optional. Given how I didn't like either for taking too long (short people are slow)... I personally would lose interest in AoW2 once I reached that early story arc.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 23, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bloodly posted:

Not exactly. Look at the screenshot and the quote. "A city built for the Archon Dead. It is said this site is so ancient that the dead have gone restless in their long wait for the Trump Of Resurrection."

They ain't hateful or destructive like the 'old' Undead were, just bored and annoyed. "I just can't keep sleeping anymore! There's things to DO! Let's have a look around. Can't hurt."

That would be much more interesting then just boring old "We were good, now we're bad." twists. Honest to god "nice" undead who just want to get up, stretch the old bones and take a look around.

LordSloth posted:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is primarily an improved version of Age of Wonders 2.

Your call on AoW2, but AoW1 is sufficiently different enough to feel fresh rather than iterative.

I generally rate the Halfling/Water Arc of AoW2 right alongside the Dwarven/good arc of AoW1, except the former is more required and the latter is optional. Given how I didn't like either for taking too long (short people are slow)... I personally would lose interest in AoW2 once I reached that early story arc.

This goon gets it, and i would recommend AOW1 because it's a good game that holds up nowadays. Plus its perfectly light enough to be running on another screen/in the background while you're playing something else! :v:

AOW1 and SM are my go-to games for that kind of thing. :3:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If I haven't played AoW:2 or AoW:SM is there enough difference between them to justify buying both or should I just purchase Shadow Magic?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
SM is pretty much better in every way unless you really want to play the original AoW2 campaign.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Brief side note on this - AoW1 tends to be more serious, fantasy-opera stuff - basically an attempt at Lord of the Rings in a game storyline.

I'm not sure about the plot of AoW2 exactly, not having gone through much of it, but the descriptions at least get a lot more tongue-in-cheek in AoW2.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AoW1 also has that late 90s Epic shareware aesthetic, complete with awesome tracked soundtrack. I played it very late, Shadow Magic was my first, but it was like a rush of nostalgia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What happened to the Dark Elves, Halflings, Azrac, Highmen, Undead, Lizards and Frostlings? :qq:

I actually didn't realize Triumph Studios was a Dutch developer.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Now that I think about it, there may be sufficiently interesting user-created scenarios for AoW2, but I never dived into scenarios much.

Since I own all three, are there any fan scenarios that goons remember fondly as either quite good or hilariously awful?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

What happened to the Dark Elves, Halflings, Azrac, Highmen, Undead, Lizards and Frostlings? :qq:

I actually didn't realize Triumph Studios was a Dutch developer.

Can't answer most of that list, but apparently the High Elves are a combination of the good elves and the dark elves after Julia cast some kind of Spell of Mending or someshit. As for halflings, apparently they're around in the lore, just not playable for the moment - the dev journal hinted they'll be popping up again later, though.

No idea on everyone else - best guess we have is the fact that apparently there are Archon undead running around the place.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sweet the most boring races of all time made it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Halflings were a boring race anyway, but I would have liked to see Frostlings and Lizards again. They were plenty of fun. The Azrac and Highmen on the other hand were so unmemorable I forgot totally about them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
There's no reason Frostlings should have been cut. Everyone else I can see, but come on man, PENGUINS. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

Halflings were a boring race anyway, but I would have liked to see Frostlings and Lizards again. They were plenty of fun. The Azrac and Highmen on the other hand were so unmemorable I forgot totally about them.

I thought "Draconians" was just a stupid overly-baroque name for Lizards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought "Draconians" was just a stupid overly-baroque name for Lizards.
Nah, they're horrible perversions of magic, deformed mockeries of their Draconic progenitors :getin:

LordSloth posted:

Now that I think about it, there may be sufficiently interesting user-created scenarios for AoW2, but I never dived into scenarios much.

Since I own all three, are there any fan scenarios that goons remember fondly as either quite good or hilariously awful?
Similarly, any good multiplayer maps? I don't care about story and stuff for these, I just want some nice maps full of treasure to punch people on.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Draconians came about with their shift from aquatic lizards to near-dragons.

Especially with some of their heroes which have flying, firebreathing, or both.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Look at that lil' flame tank! :3:

Very strong Civ5 influence in that video, even down to the suave art deco style/architecture/type treatment in the interface, which is okay I guess. Everything's subject to change in an alpha, granted. That's just my jerk-rear end knee being a jerk.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Don't worry, word is dire penguins are still in, and even march in neat formations.

http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2013/02/25/age-of-wonders-iii-qa-with-lennart-sas/

Now if I just could get some photographic proof...

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

Look at that lil' flame tank! :3:

Very strong Civ5 influence in that video, even down to the suave art deco style/architecture/type treatment in the interface, which is okay I guess. Everything's subject to change in an alpha, granted. That's just my jerk-rear end knee being a jerk.

You know what? After playing Eador and Legendary heroes I'll gladly take a nice neat civ 5 UI. Having to go to a bunch of different menus to access common stuff gets pretty tiring after a while. Like, In the Eador remake let's say you want to build a inn. You have to go into the build menu, find what ever category the building you want is under, select the right level of the building and hope to god you completed all the pre-requiste buildings or you have to go over that 2+ more times.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

LordSloth posted:

Don't worry, word is dire penguins are still in, and even march in neat formations.

Excellent.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

LordSloth posted:

I've not tried any from here but to my understanding this is the better website for maps: http://aow2.heavengames.com/

It does have an unofficial patch that adds a slew of new units such as unique priests for each race if i remember correctly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowmorn posted:

I've not tried any from here but to my understanding this is the better website for maps: http://aow2.heavengames.com/

It does have an unofficial patch that adds a slew of new units such as unique priests for each race if if remember correctly.
I popped this onto my install recently. The unique priests are the only additional standard units, all the other new units are basically for map builders. A lot of numbers were tweaked for balance and the lower-level and mid-level units were given buffs to make them more useful late game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DrManiac posted:

You know what? After playing Eador and Legendary heroes I'll gladly take a nice neat civ 5 UI. Having to go to a bunch of different menus to access common stuff gets pretty tiring after a while. Like, In the Eador remake let's say you want to build a inn. You have to go into the build menu, find what ever category the building you want is under, select the right level of the building and hope to god you completed all the pre-requiste buildings or you have to go over that 2+ more times.

That's why they put in that ridiculous alternate build screen where every buildable building is on the screen at once. Yeah it's not great, but it saves you a lot of clicks and searching, and it even has a search feature.

Also if you don't have the prereqs you can just click on the prereq you don't have and it takes you right to it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Extended version of the Gamescom demo with a look at character creation and a different outcome for the battle at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKVGMgmae4

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, that zoomed out map view looks really rad.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

DrManiac posted:

Wow, that zoomed out map view looks really rad.

Is it bad that the zoomed-out map is probably my favorite thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hell the zoomed out map is at least one of my favorite things so far.

Anyway, I've been playing some Shadow Magic again and I've remembered how much I want better diplomacy AI. In most of my scenario matches I'll get a couple of alliance offers from a few of the AI teams, but they never ally with each other or try to stab me in the back. Even if you turn off allied victory, it feels like there isn't enough of a risk in allying with anyone, and it really just works out to be a huge advantage for the player over AI enemies.

• Locked thread