Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WeaponBoy posted:

Oh man, imagine Mirror's Edge 2 as a canabalt clone where you have to buy continues. :unsmigghh:

I'll take the bait but this exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Check that price tag :australia:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Bargain! Only $3 per award!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Yea funny, there was a 'big' origin sale recently and it was still over $60

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So hey, LoL is down for whatever reason, lets check this piece of poo poo out, oh sorry can't, the play button is greyed out for some reason?

EDIT: Restart Origin, still don't work, gently caress you too SimCity.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 22, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Rudager posted:

So hey, LoL is down for whatever reason, lets check this piece of poo poo out, oh sorry can't, the play button is greyed out for some reason?

EDIT: Restart Origin, still don't work, gently caress you too SimCity.

SimCity isn't actually a city building game. It's a game to see how many times it can trick you into thinking you'll get to play.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'll take the bait but this exists.

You joke but that game wasn't too bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did this poo poo game update? Does any other game use this strange update numbering system.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It doesn't matter cause it will be always poo poo. Also no.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Doesn't look like it. Mac version is apparently out on the 29th so I suspect we'll see a patch then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mac version still isn't out yet? Dear god they advertised that pre launch!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Almost forgot about this, if anyone's curious about an actually good (at the time) Simcity game, this guy did a tool-assisted speedrun of the SNES game using the infinite money glitch; in just under 7 minutes (including a few minutes of just waiting for the year to rollover for the glitch) they lay down everything, which about 40 minutes later swells to a city of 600 000 people. It's interesting if you're curious about some of the game's mechanics (at the end of the video he checks every status screen. It's basically a huge core of residential (with the odd police station) surrounded by a ring of commercial which is then surrounded at the edges with industrial, with power plants lining the left side, train tracks connecting everything and a small island with each of the expensive buildings (airport, stadium, I forget what else).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g6uPk-A1HY

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Update 7 just came out. Better traffic, free house of worship DLC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Oh and raise/lower road ability so better tunnels and bridges.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one make any sudden moves, we've got an encounter with a live SimCity player!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nope, just a literate one :).

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-7-release

I play around with it I do admit.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lorini posted:

I play around with it I do admit.

Mods? Can we get a judgment here?

edit:

I do have to admit that after seeing screenshots of cities built after the new update, they actually look like places somebody might want to live.

nimper fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 23, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You play around with what?

There's a game in there somewhere? :confused:

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

i built some cities with the new update and they've fixed a lot of the problems but there is still something deep missing with the game.. there is so much to do but none of it matters.

If they figure out a way to make the cities bigger and start adding a bit more content it would be a really good game.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 24, 2013

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I don't get it. Not to say that I'm a fan but what's supposed to matter? I'd like to hear more about this.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Goddamn those abritrary barriers drive me nuts. Real cities aren't like that! At all! But you have such a limited space you have to fill it out like that! It's so bad.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

i built some cities with the new update and they've fixed a lot of the problems but there is still something deep missing with the game.. there is so much to do but none of it matters.

If they figure out a way to make the cities bigger and start adding a bit more content it would be a really good game.

Man, that is the tiniest goddamn city. Good job Maxis programming the game to run on my grandmother's laptop I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That seems even worse now that I've gotten over the excitement of actually playing it. I guess I was just deluding myself because I wanted to play the game. That just looks entirely unusable now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

• New Feature: Tool to create bridges, overpasses, and tunnels when you draw your roads.
- While building your road, pressing the N key or M key will lower or raise the road accordingly creating overpasses, bridges and tunnels. Note: Existing road layouts cannot be raised or lowered
• New: Improvements for traffic behavior to make it smarter. This should reduce the number of lines formed by all available vehicles converging on a single spot. This affects all vehicles including Police, Fire Trucks, Moving Trucks, Garbage Trucks, Recycling Trucks, Resource Trucks, Buses, Ambulances, and Civilian vehicles.
• New: Tree tools – Place individual trees along your city roads. This tool is located at the end of the Nature Parks menu.
• New: Vehicles now accelerate and decelerate faster, allowing them to leave buildings and cross intersections more efficiently.
• Parks: Sports parks are now accepting Sims 24 hours a day.
• Airship: The number of Airship passenger trips should now be correct over multiple days.
• Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.
• Fix for freight trucks leaving the city instead of going back to the factories in some situations.
• Terrain: Improves some instances where terrain covers sections of roads under certain scenarios while the camera is zoomed out.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lorini posted:

I don't get it. Not to say that I'm a fan but what's supposed to matter? I'd like to hear more about this.

The game is so limited in scale that every city looks the same and the only point is to stockpile money or resources or whatever, all the zoning is so easy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

The game is so limited in scale that every city looks the same and the only point is to stockpile money or resources or whatever, all the zoning is so easy.

Especially considering the mechanics that drive building density are so simplistic. It's nothing but "make zone, twirl the mouse around until buildings upgrade." The extent of your involvement is placing parks to manage what wealth level sims move in.

The game has absolutely no depth to it, the original SimCity was more complex.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I just tried starting a new city to try all the changes since I last played (Patch 3 I think). Being able to make tunnels and bridges on the fly is pretty nice, not to mention the actual traffic AI actually seems to flow better and they no longer get stuck. But once I completely filled up my city I lost all motivation to continue since there's really not much to do anymore. I'd work on the other city plot in the region but it's just going to be the same thing.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man, that is the tiniest goddamn city. Good job Maxis programming the game to run on my grandmother's laptop I guess.

I'm still confident that it's not even an issue of processor/vram/whatev, but really only that they saw that a city double that size would have trouble sending agents everywhere they're needed. Heck even at the current size, if you make the /HORRIBLE\ decision to put you power plant in a corner, you'll find that the opposite side is often in blackouts even if you're a bazzilion watts over your consumption...

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Maxime posted:

a city double that size would have trouble sending agents everywhere they're needed

Everyone also mentions the fact that even the tiny city doesn't actually run all that fast, and that's most likely the reason of the city size.
It seems that currently simcity runs at 52 fps on a freaking TITAN (on medium settings): http://www.techspot.com/review/648-simcity-performance/page2.html
But this is just the graphical performance. Having to simulate all those agents the worst problem for bigger cities might be the use of the processor instead. I'll look if anyone has a processor benchmark or something.

program666 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 24, 2013

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Anyone want to get a region going now that this poo poo isn't totally broken? Maybe interacting with other cities will give it some meaning or playability beyond the tiny bounds.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
SimCity; a curious game. The only winning move is not to play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I don't get it. Is there a demand for commercial or not? Compare the graph in the center versus those on the right.

And ban me or not for saying this but I did just buy this game. $30 was still a little steep but the allure of infinite freedom design-wise is what pulled me in. I don't really care about min/maxing poo poo.

This is my third city. Been playing exclusively in sandbox mode so far.

edit: I should maybe mention that I've been following these threads since day one and I know that I'm getting into what could be a very buggy mess.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 25, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The demand indicators are functionally useless, and if you do what they say you'll run out of space to build your city really quickly. It works a little better if you bring up the detailed population page and look at the number for sims versus how many jobs are available.

Game seems to work best if you keep your job count slightly lower than the number of sims, carrying a small unemployment rate is much better than unfilled jobs.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't get it. Is there a demand for commercial or not? Compare the graph in the center versus those on the right.

And ban me or not for saying this but I did just buy this game. $30 was still a little steep but the allure of infinite freedom design-wise is what pulled me in. I don't really care about min/maxing poo poo.

edit: I should maybe mention that I've been following these threads since day one and I know that I'm getting into what could be a very buggy mess.

How did you read this thread from day one and still thought this game had anything coming close to 'infinite freedom'?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UraniumFuelElement posted:

How did you read this thread from day one and still thought this game had anything coming close to 'infinite freedom'?

His last sentence is basically an admission that he didn't read the thread at all.

This page alone touches on how there's no freedom at all in the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fayez Butts posted:

I'm sorry to hear that you're an idiot! It takes remarkable stupidity to read this thread (as you claim) and come out of it thinking that the game's problems come down "min/maxing problems" and "bugs".

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

euphronius posted:

- While building your road, pressing the N key or M key will lower or raise the road accordingly creating overpasses, bridges and tunnels. Note: Existing road layouts cannot be raised or lowered

Didn't they leave out this feature intentionally because reasons, even though people requested it?

So now they've implemented pre-selecting destinations for agents, and raising and lowering roads, both of which I think should have been implemented over a year ago. Both of these were implemented only after the lead designer dude left Maxis, right?

Are they going to implement well-educated agents preferring jobs that require education now?

Also:

quote:

Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.

Does this mean that the supply chain works/might actually start working in the future?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wheany posted:

Does this mean that the supply chain works/might actually start working in the future?

Doesn't matter either way does it? Commercial doesn't need shipments to keep functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Wow! You guys are really angry! First of all I only said infinite freedom design-wise, and I'm really sorry I didn't edit my post to explain in excruciating detail how the agent system was a poor choice due to a lack of any sort of pathfinding and range issues (re: electricity). I haven't been keeping my reasons_simcity_is_broken.xls file very update due to more interesting things to do, anyone want to email me theirs?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread