Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

Yeah, I got one as well for Dirty. This comes a month after they canceled the St. Vincent album I also ordered.

I just cancelled my order. They cancelled two items then delayed the other two and at that point it gets into a case of gently caress it.

izationalizer posted:

Yeah, it looks like you just found yourself a record plus a free $50 (should you ever decide to sell it). Nice score. I have no clue about the UK/US thing. It could very well just be a duplicate entry on Discogs, as you suggest.

That's a nice surprise, but I have no plans to sell it. Had a listen, sounds alright but I should give it a clean, fair bit of dust in the grooves. I'll have to look into which version it is, it wouldn't surprise me if there was only ever a US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/08/24/whole-foods-begin-selling-vinyl-records/

quote:

According to a report in the LA Weekly, Whole Foods, the health-centered grocery store chain, has begun selling vinyl records in “five of its 340 stores,” including the one the newspaper reported on in West Hollywood. Artists represented in their record crates at the moment include Daft Punk, Fleetwood Mac, Tegan & Sara and The Arcade Fire, among many others. Think Urban Outfitters, only with food.

:shepicide:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Dude, you bought the Phantom Menace OST.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vinyl isn't 'underground' anymore -- and hasn't been for a while. Blame hipsters or be mad about records sold in grocery stores and Urban Outfitters or whatever, or just be glad that popularity means more albums, more pressings, more poo poo to enjoy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Me in Reverse posted:

Vinyl isn't 'underground' anymore -- and hasn't been for a while. Blame hipsters or be mad about records sold in grocery stores and Urban Outfitters or whatever, or just be glad that popularity means more albums, more pressings, more poo poo to enjoy.

Yeah I'm really excited for a 10th pressing of Rumours for Record Store Day 2014.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Dude, you bought the Phantom Menace OST.

A huge mistake, admittedly.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The Books-A-Million near me has records right up front when you first walk in the store.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Most of the time when I see records being sold in stores other than dedicated music stores, it's nothing you'd be too interested in buying. "Oh hey, Best Buy sells vinyl in store, let's see what they... oh, tons of Hendrix reissues and poo poo like Sublime". I think that's what I hate the most about vinyl showing up in mainstream outlets. It's always the most predictable classic rock reissues and some friend that you're with that doesn't collect records grabs every recognizable reissue and holds it up and says "Hey, you want The Doors?".

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

alg posted:

Yeah I'm really excited for a 10th pressing of Rumours for Record Store Day 2014.

:rolleyes: That's some Holden Caulfield "phonies!" bullshit.

Your post history is full of "gently caress RSD" and "hipsters :argh:" and "collectors items :rolleyes:" so I'll only slightly seriouspost in response.

I'd never have seen a copy of All Hail West Texas by The Mountain Goats if it weren't for the resurgence of vinyl. I'd never be able to pick up a copy of pretty much every new release by every band I like if it weren't for the resurgence of vinyl.

If that means that I have to live with the fact that stupid overpriced represses of things *exist*? I'll loving be alright.

EDIT: Man, vinyl is dramatic.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Say what you want to about "hipsters" and vinyl, but I don't think I would have bought any of the cool poo poo I have in the past couple years without every group realizing a release on vinyl would be the cool thing to do right now. Hell, even my little band released a single on 7" vinyl.

Admittedly we completely dropped the ball promoting it and selling it, so now I have tons of copies sitting around our jamspace, guess I should have sold them at the local grocer :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Most of the time when I see records being sold in stores other than dedicated music stores, it's nothing you'd be too interested in buying. "Oh hey, Best Buy sells vinyl in store, let's see what they... oh, tons of Hendrix reissues and poo poo like Sublime". I think that's what I hate the most about vinyl showing up in mainstream outlets. It's always the most predictable classic rock reissues and some friend that you're with that doesn't collect records grabs every recognizable reissue and holds it up and says "Hey, you want The Doors?".

I'd much rather have Best Buy selling some vinyl, seeing decent sales, and eventually beginning to carry more and different stuff.

Five years ago, Best Buy sold no vinyl, except for the random mega-super-anniversary release by U2 or something, that was 3 CDs, a DVD, and a vinyl - and cost $99. Our current situation is much better.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
So if being a hipster is about listening to stuff nobody has heard of and being cunty about it, what do you classify these comments as? Elitist?

Also, "gently caress record store day", but also "gently caress anything that isn't a specific music store selling vinyl". Who is an approved vinyl seller (r)?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

savesthedayrocks posted:

Who is an approved vinyl seller (r)?
Barnes and Noble.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Records are my preferred method of home listening; I am only a "collector" in the sense that when I want to purchase a piece of music, any music really, I look around for it on vinyl first. From my perspective I have no idea how one could view more places selling records as a bad thing. Admittedly, my musical tastes run largely toward the stuff that is scoffed at by "collectors" so maybe that is where the disconnect is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

savesthedayrocks posted:

So if being a hipster is about listening to stuff nobody has heard of and being cunty about it, what do you classify these comments as? Elitist?

Being a hipster is about listening to stuff everyone has heard of but assuming no-one has (because you yourself haven't) and being cunty about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Defleshed posted:

Records are my preferred method of home listening; I am only a "collector" in the sense that when I want to purchase a piece of music, any music really, I look around for it on vinyl first. From my perspective I have no idea how one could view more places selling records as a bad thing. Admittedly, my musical tastes run largely toward the stuff that is scoffed at by "collectors" so maybe that is where the disconnect is.

I started buying mainly LPs back in the late 90s because most of the stuff I was buying was a bit cheaper that way. Also I had a record player but no CD player.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The one bad thing I can think of from this is what happens when the fad dies down. The music industry will go back to not giving a gently caress about vinyl LPs again and all this awesome poo poo will stop getting pressed and records will become harder to find.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

The one bad thing I can think of from this is what happens when the fad dies down. The music industry will go back to not giving a gently caress about vinyl LPs again and all this awesome poo poo will stop getting pressed and records will become harder to find.

I'll worry about that once the PC is dead.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

CPL593H posted:

If that happens all we'll lose is reissues of stuff that everyone already has or new releases from bigger groups. The kind of bands that want their stuff on vinyl will find a way to get it pressed.

Besides, forget represses. Second hand is where it's at!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

If that happens all we'll lose is reissues of stuff that everyone already has or new releases from bigger groups. The kind of bands that want their stuff on vinyl will find a way to get it pressed.

Besides, forget represses. Second hand is where it's at!

Like I said before, don't always regard reissues as a waste of time. Also, I like being able to get stuff from bigger groups.

That being said it wouldn't be all bad because the prices of fairly common poo poo will probably become reasonable again. The loving Smiths albums shouldn't cost 25-30 a piece.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

That being said it wouldn't be all bad because the prices of fairly common poo poo will probably become reasonable again. The loving Smiths albums shouldn't cost 25-30 a piece.

I almost bought a Smiths album once because it was ONLY $30. Then I remembered "gently caress that." Most record stores mark that poo poo at like $40+ I'm assuming because some college kid who doesn't really collect vinyl is going to come in and pay that much for it.

Don't know how much interest there'll be for it in this thread, but Hydra Head just put up the repress of the self titled Daughters album. $25 shipped is better than the $50+ I always see the first press for on discogs. Album owns.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

I almost bought a Smiths album once because it was ONLY $30. Then I remembered "gently caress that." Most record stores mark that poo poo at like $40+ I'm assuming because some college kid who doesn't really collect vinyl is going to come in and pay that much for it.

I remember back in 2008ish I went to a record show in a VFW hall and I came across a copy of the first Smiths album for 15 bucks. I let my friend have it because she was way into the Smiths at the time. I've yet to see any of their albums below 25 bucks since then. Hell I got all kinds of poo poo that day for five or six bucks a piece that would probably be double or triple that now. It seems like when vinyl LPs became widely popular in the last few years the secondary market just got stupid.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I remember back in 2008ish I went to a record show in a VFW hall and I came across a copy of the first Smiths album for 15 bucks. I let my friend have it because she was way into the Smiths at the time. I've yet to see any of their albums below 25 bucks since then. Hell I got all kinds of poo poo that day for five or six bucks a piece that would probably be double or triple that now. It seems like when vinyl LPs became widely popular in the last few years the secondary market just got stupid.

A lot of people seem to think that ebay BIN prices are an accurate pricing guide.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

A lot of people seem to think that ebay BIN prices are an accurate pricing guide.

Completed auctions? What does that even mean?

I know it's awful, and that doesn't just apply to records. Pretty much anything that has a "collector's market".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was in Target the other day and they had a few albums for sale. $28 for Abbey Road? I don't think so.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Completed auctions? What does that even mean?

I know it's awful, and that doesn't just apply to records. Pretty much anything that has a "collector's market".

My bad, I got lazy and went with an acronym. It means "Buy it now." So, someone puts a record up with a BIN of $100, people look that record up and assume "Oh poo poo, that album is worth $100!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

My bad, I got lazy and went with an acronym. It means "Buy it now." So, someone puts a record up with a BIN of $100, people look that record up and assume "Oh poo poo, that album is worth $100!"

I knew what you meant, I was making fun of the average ebay seller/dickhead who prices that way. I posted it here a while back, but I once saw an ebay listing for what may have charitably been 15 dollars worth of junk records with a BIN price of $4500 dollars. The highlight of the collection was a scratched up Jimi Hendrix album with no cover.

I wish I was exaggerating.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I knew what you meant, I was making fun of the average ebay seller/dickhead who prices that way. I posted it here a while back, but I once saw an ebay listing for what may have charitably been 15 dollars worth of junk records with a BIN price of $4500 dollars. The highlight of the collection was a scratched up Jimi Hendrix album with no cover.

I wish I was exaggerating.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon!?! This must be worth a FORTUNE.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Hey guys, I got all of my dead grandpa's Beatles albums through his will and I heard these go for quite a pretty penny. I need collage tuition for my poli-sci major so I'm going to start selling these and I was thinking I ought to be fair and start off the bidding at $300. It's the album when they're crossing the road I think, I don't have the cover anymore.

PM with offers ;)

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I admit I buy vinyl of recently-released music probably over-priced. I dunno if that makes me a hipster or what but I really like listening to my current music tastes on the format.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon!?! This must be worth a FORTUNE.

I actually ran into a guy once that had a bunch of Pink Floyd albums and he wanted like 60 bucks each for them. And we're not talking about Mono UK pressings of Saucerful of Secrets or anything. He had The Wall, Animals, and the Final Cut (which was still sealed!).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, it's not like overpriced records are a new thing. In fact, it's so old that there was a Seinfeld episode...

Holy loving Christ. That is a sentence I never would use. And that's a sentence I cannot complete. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to drink myself in a stupor while I listen to Rumors at 45 RPMs.

It might sound better if it was the 45 RPM pressing, and not my parents' copy from the 70s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, it's not like overpriced records are a new thing. In fact, it's so old that there was a Seinfeld episode...

Holy loving Christ. That is a sentence I never would use. And that's a sentence I cannot complete. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to drink myself in a stupor while I listen to Rumors at 45 RPMs.

It might sound better if it was the 45 RPM pressing, and not my parents' copy from the 70s.

I wonder how many old used copies you could buy for the price of that 45 RPM reissue.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CPL593H posted:

I wonder how many old used copies you could buy for the price of that 45 RPM reissue.

"B-But it's old! it's gotta be worth something right?"

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

CPL593H posted:

Like I said before, don't always regard reissues as a waste of time. Also, I like being able to get stuff from bigger groups.

Yeah some reissues are really good but then others are poo poo. I was looking at getting the couple of Funkadelic albums I'm missing as re-presses but apparently the most recent ones are brickwalled. Might be something else, was a little while ago when I looked. I still buy represses but am pretty wary after getting reading some reviews.

WASDF posted:

Hey guys, I got all of my dead grandpa's Beatles albums through his will and I heard these go for quite a pretty penny. I need collage tuition for my poli-sci major so I'm going to start selling these and I was thinking I ought to be fair and start off the bidding at $300. It's the album when they're crossing the road I think, I don't have the cover anymore.

PM with offers ;)

Are they White Hot Stampers? If so you're aiming far too low!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

Yeah some reissues are really good but then others are poo poo. I was looking at getting the couple of Funkadelic albums I'm missing as re-presses but apparently the most recent ones are brickwalled. Might be something else, was a little while ago when I looked. I still buy represses but am pretty wary after getting reading some reviews.

What it really comes down to is knowing what you're buying and who you're buying it from. Some reissue labels are fantastic, some are hit or miss, and some are utter poo poo.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

ambushsabre posted:

I admit I buy vinyl of recently-released music probably over-priced. I dunno if that makes me a hipster or what but I really like listening to my current music tastes on the format.

Buying new music from small labels owns :cool:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish they'd put more effort into packaging. Like F# A# Infinite is amazing just because of a stupid crushed penny.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
That album is amazing, period.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Honestly F#A#Infinity, I think, is better on the CD than the vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Counterpoint: F#A#∞ on vinyl will play forever. The CD won't do that.