Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm pretty sure there have been two Yoshi's Island threads in the time my thread has existed, not that it's exactly the best example :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Brainamp posted:

Basically, unless you do an overwhelmingly better job at it, nobody will really care about the second thread. No rule against it, just you won't get the same discussion level as the first thread.

Eh, but so what even if that were the case?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Brainamp posted:

Basically, unless you do an overwhelmingly better job at it, nobody will really care about the second thread. No rule against it, just you won't get the same discussion level as the first thread.

Yeah, this discussion is fairly common and probably for good reason. One of the guests on the streamed episode of Retsutalk actually brought this point up about how the sandcastle will often ask what an LP of a game that has already been LP'd brings to the table over the previous effort.

My own opinion is that you need to do something to differentiate yourself from the previous LPs. The Witcher 2 is a pretty good game for this due to the number of choices and ways to handle situations available to players. You'll have to play the game a couple times to see all the possible storylines and interactions, so a couple LPs may well be worth it.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Things I want feedback on: Since it's been quite a few pages since my last test post, here it is again. Gifs, fixed! Excessive bolding, removed! I altered the opening post here a bit, to add links in to LP's of the original FFXII and tweaked the wording of a few things. Also, watching all this bioshock thread title posting, i'm wondering if I should give my thread a not boring title. Anyway, i'm fairly confident everything's in order now, this is just double-checking.

Politics are boring, Let's Play FFXII: Revenant Wings instead.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings was released in 2007 (JP, US) - 2008 (EU, AU) for the Nintendo DS, and is the smaller scale, portable sequel/spinoff to Final Fantasy XII.

A lot of world building and exploration from the original is gone, as well as all the political drama, to tell a simpler, shorter story more focussed on it's characters. The plot also shares little with the original FFXII, perhaps because it actually started development as an unrelated title. Because of that, it's accessible to those not familiar with the original. I gotta admit, I played this one before I played FFXII, and I was fine. But there's still a lot in there for people familiar with the original, and they're gonna feel a bit more comfortable through all this! If you wanna jump into this Let's Play, go ahead. However, there's an FFXII LP in the archives, as well as an ongoing one, so if you want to look at one of them and come back, that's cool too.

The graphics use a style easier for the DS to render, 2D sprites on top of 3D environments. There are a few FMVs, which will be posted on Youtube. The soundtrack is almost entirely recycled from FFXII, but it unfortunately sounds a bit worse coming from the DS hardware. Gameplay wise, its a real-time strategy, although I find that the strategy is a bit light. I'll explain the combat more when it comes up in the Let's Play, including elaborating on my feelings about it.

Since this is a story-heavy game, let's not go ruining it for anyone! No spoilers please! Also, because this game is accessible without being familiar with FFXII, hide spoilers the original FFXII under spoiler tags. Later in Revenant Wings, there will be parts that assume you have knowledge of FFXII, and a couple of things from FFXII will be spoiled! There's nothing that will "ruin" the original, but if you're hoping to go through FFXII completely blind one day, don't read this! When anything that assumes you know FFXII comes up, i'll fill you in on the blanks, and you also won't need spoiler tags to discuss it any more. But enough out of me, let's start the game!

Prologue - In Search of the Eternal

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 27, 2013

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Maintenance is over, they replaced the RAM and it all seems good!

The Wicked Wall posted:

Cheers baldurk, was wondering why I was getting some bad loads last night when going through an archived LP or two to check something.

This might have been due to the HW problems or it might be something else. If it's still broken can you email me with details please?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, this discussion is fairly common and probably for good reason. One of the guests on the streamed episode of Retsutalk actually brought this point up about how the sandcastle will often ask what an LP of a game that has already been LP'd brings to the table over the previous effort.

My own opinion is that you need to do something to differentiate yourself from the previous LPs. The Witcher 2 is a pretty good game for this due to the number of choices and ways to handle situations available to players. You'll have to play the game a couple times to see all the possible storylines and interactions, so a couple LPs may well be worth it.

Disgreed here.

As far as previously completed LPs go, for "What does this LP offer over the previous completed one" I think a perfectly fine answer is "That one's done. This one's new so people can talk about the game again".

Viva's asking about a current thread that's going on right now, though. So I guess the challenge is getting people to even look at his in the first place. If The Witcher 2 has a ton of variety though then Viva can just do things differently, or run a different kind of character or whatever, and he'll probably be fine.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Well, technically, the other thread hasn't started yet. I'd just be pissed if I was planning to do an LP and someone else posted a thread first while I was prepping.

However, I think ultimately, the way the two LP's are done will be enough to differentiate.

Just need to wait for batebro so maybe we can discuss which different story path to take.

baldurk posted:

Maintenance is over, they replaced the RAM and it all seems good!

Awesome!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

The "What can you bring to the table" discussion is a tired and outplayed discussion in this sandcastle and doesn't even matter for this lp here, mainly because of this reason: the commentary is already completely different as it is. Looking 5 seconds into both videos, people can already see the big difference here; VivaVizer's is completely solo, while the Soda Pop Boys' video is group. It's a completely different type of commentary. It's like comparing a group sketch show to a stand up show, it's a completely different vibe and experience.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Spiffo posted:

Disgreed here.

Fair enough. I think there has to be a mote of differentiation in how people handle things, whether it be through different commentary styles or different approaches to the game. I've happily watched two Bulletstorm LPs, two Far Cry 3 LPs, multiple Super Metroid LPs, two Dark Souls LPs and two Dead Space 2 LPs. Each of them had a different style than the other, so they fit the criteria of doing "something different." I guess I made it sound like it is a bigger differentiation than it really needs to be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FutureFriend posted:

The "What can you bring to the table" discussion is a tired and outplayed discussion in this sandcastle and doesn't even matter for this lp here, mainly because of this reason: the commentary is already completely different as it is. Looking 5 seconds into both videos, people can already see the big difference here; VivaVizer's is completely solo, while the Soda Pop Boys' video is group. It's a completely different type of commentary. It's like comparing a group sketch show to a stand up show, it's a completely different vibe and experience.

I completely agree. Besides, Witcher has two main paths through the game so there's a lot of room for divergence.

Also, Vizer, I'm pretty sure those round things shot by arrow in the intro are melons / coconuts, not boulders.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Fair enough. I think there has to be a mote of differentiation in how people handle things, whether it be through different commentary styles or different approaches to the game. I've happily watched two Bulletstorm LPs, two Far Cry 3 LPs, multiple Super Metroid LPs, two Dark Souls LPs and two Dead Space 2 LPs. Each of them had a different style than the other, so they fit the criteria of doing "something different." I guess I made it sound like it is a bigger differentiation than it really needs to be.

To me, an LP thread isn't just about the LP itself but it's also a space to discuss the game in general. So when an LP closes and gets archived, that space itself closes. Even if a new LP of the same game doesn't offer that much, it's still like "Awesome, another one of these, let's talk about Tales of Whatever some more".

Agreed that variety is good too, but even just having a place to rap about some old game that isn't in Games proper is pretty rad.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Just getting one last quick check from the Sandcastle before I go live with Lollipop Chainsaw. I was going to wait until next week but aaaaah fuckit. Linked so that my post isn't a million miles long.

OP

Second Post

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

VivaVizer posted:

what about LPing something while someone else is LPing it?

Just do it - you mentioned it a couple days ago anyway. Especially since you think it will be significantly different style wise. I did that with Human Revolution, because I wanted to play the entire trilogy and the currently running one was significantly different from my style. As Brainamp said it may split the audience, but I guess I don't worry about that sort of thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ok Amazing posted:

Politics are boring, Let's Play FFXII: Revenant Wings instead.

Looks much better to me.

Just a personal thought - while you don't need to know the plot of the original game, the game very clearly assumes the player has, as it explains very little about the characters, their origins, or things like the Occuria. A little dossier of the characters might be handy and you could try to keep it spoiler-free, but a few things like Basch now being a judge might surprise people who haven't gotten that far, so I wouldn't say you can't go through the whole game not intending to get spoiled for FFXII.

That said, since it'll take you a while to get to the point where FFXII starts to get spoiled, with any luck Brainweasel's FFXII LP'd be done and you can link people to it and tell them to go through the last third of the game before coming into anything past chapters 6 or 7.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

That said, since it'll take you a while to get to the point where FFXII starts to get spoiled, with any luck Brainweasel's FFXII LP'd be done

There's also the already finished one on the archive, so even if Brainweasel isn't finished by then it doesn't really matter.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This talk of simultaneous LPs reminds me of a text I got during the RE6 LP: it came to me in a PM (politely asking if it would step on my toes) around the 2nd update that somebody and his friend actually wanted to play the PC Version blind and I basically said "That sounds pretty boss, here's a bunch of links to mods and the RE Modding board so you can definitely do something different and interesting" but sadly it never cropped up. Not sure why, it would have been an interesting contrast to mine and a polar-opposite LP of the game like that would have perfectly showcased the ultra-random and quirky nature of Capcom's most favored franchise.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Well, Lollipop Chainsaw is live. Thanks everyone who helped me get everything together.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 26, 2013

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

ApplesandOranges posted:

That said, since it'll take you a while to get to the point where FFXII starts to get spoiled, with any luck Brainweasel's FFXII LP'd be done and you can link people to it and tell them to go through the last third of the game before coming into anything past chapters 6 or 7.

I'll be done with the plot in a week or so, so if you want to link to / copy my plot summary posts as an XII primer, go for it. It's probably better for people who want to get up to speed on the prequel than either my or WeirdBIAS's videos.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lunethex posted:

This talk of simultaneous LPs reminds me of a text I got during the RE6 LP: it came to me in a PM (politely asking if it would step on my toes) around the 2nd update that somebody and his friend actually wanted to play the PC Version blind and I basically said "That sounds pretty boss, here's a bunch of links to mods and the RE Modding board so you can definitely do something different and interesting" but sadly it never cropped up. Not sure why, it would have been an interesting contrast to mine and a polar-opposite LP of the game like that would have perfectly showcased the ultra-random and quirky nature of Capcom's most favored franchise.

I would have liked to see that as well, not that your LP wasn't/isn't already pretty good at showing off some of that stuff. Sometimes it gets sort of daunting to think about doing an LP of a game that is already completed or ongoing. They could also be experimenting with the right mix of mods to get the best results, which could end up being hilarious.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Spiffo posted:

To me, an LP thread isn't just about the LP itself but it's also a space to discuss the game in general. So when an LP closes and gets archived, that space itself closes. Even if a new LP of the same game doesn't offer that much, it's still like "Awesome, another one of these, let's talk about Tales of Whatever some more".

Agreed that variety is good too, but even just having a place to rap about some old game that isn't in Games proper is pretty rad.

Interesting. I've been holding off on my next LP because I wanted to do it with you guys in a new thread, but I was worried that my standards wouldn't be high enough, or that I'd do a LP that's already been done, or because I'm new I'd get lambasted anyways.

I guess I'm too careful.

I'll improve over time, so with my next LP here don't expect a really strange or unusual game until I've gotten some practice in on how I want to do it, but I'll do my best to make it interesting for you.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Something to keep in mind about LPing the same game is the amount of time between the LPs. Give it 2 years and half the people that posted in the first LP might not even be visiting SA anymore.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
If your LP is good, just post your LP. You don't need to meet with your marketing team about how long it's been since the game you're playing last got LP'd.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Brett824 posted:

If your LP is good, just post your LP. You don't need to meet with your marketing team about how long it's been since the game you're playing last got LP'd.

Good is such a subjective term. There are so many personal preferences for each viewer that it's impossible to make an LP that will satisfy everyone. Some people want everything completed and shown off, others find it tedious. Some people want non stop commentary, some people want only a little.

I only started LPing last week and have just completed my non SA first LP and some liked it, some didn't. I talk a lot, a lot of people like it, a lot of people don't.

The only thing I can figure out is to be yourself, do the best you can, and be willing to improve and take criticism constructively.

EDIT: Obviously there are some things to 'good' - like decent audio and video quality, but that goes without saying.

valkhorn fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 26, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Don't stress about it man, it's just silly videos on the internet.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Especially don't stress about trying to appeal to everyone. Just do what's fun and if it's good then people will catch on to it even if they don't post a lot or at all in the thread.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks much better to me.

Just a personal thought - while you don't need to know the plot of the original game, the game very clearly assumes the player has, as it explains very little about the characters, their origins, or things like the Occuria. A little dossier of the characters might be handy and you could try to keep it spoiler-free, but a few things like Basch now being a judge might surprise people who haven't gotten that far, so I wouldn't say you can't go through the whole game not intending to get spoiled for FFXII.

Good point! I edited the spoiler policy in my test post to that effect. Spoiler warning before getting into the later chapters might be a good idea also, i'll keep in mind to do that when I get to that! And i'll be posting the thread for real in a few hours.

Edit: I went ahead and started the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567175 Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 27, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the "Let's Get Better" OP? I wanted to get this out of the way so I can post the thread and get going on this thing.

batebro
Sep 24, 2012

:smugbert:

VivaVizer posted:

Just need to wait for batebro so maybe we can discuss which different story path to take.

Hey, sorry for not noticing this sooner. None of the 7 of us doing the "Soda Pop Boys" Witcher 2 LP care if you do one side-by-side -- frankly, we just enjoy doing the LP stuff for fun, so we're not gonna get offended if there's "overlap" or whatever. Your LP is really good (and a gently caress-ton more informative than ours), so I hope it goes well! If anything, it will be hilarious to put our videos side-by-side to show how incompetent I am at The Witcher 2.

That being said, we'll start our thread today - hope you don't mind if we go ahead and do that, I've just been dragging rear end on that for too long. Again, I don't think anyone on SA will really care too much, so don't worry!

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hey, you can never be too sure. Well, I can never be too sure because I'm a worrier.

Anyway, I'll put up a test post tomorrow after episode 2 finishes uploading.

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD
As a suggestion, unless either of you are planning to do both, you guys could take different paths at the end of chapter 1. I'm not sure if that's a spoiler or not, but just to be safe.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Looking for feedback, mostly in the OP.

Star Trek Bridge Commander

EDIT: Whoops forgot a / and made most of it bolded

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15236

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 27, 2013

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Hey, has anyone had a chance to look at my test post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=314#post418796546

Just want some feed back on the OP and video before I start recording more.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Re-done the video. I'll get to an OP sometime later.
Still subbed. Sorry, didn't want to waste the effort put into subbing it in the first place.
There's... probably still an issue with it, isn't there?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

widespread posted:

Re-done the video. I'll get to an OP sometime later.
Still subbed. Sorry, didn't want to waste the effort put into subbing it in the first place.
There's... probably still an issue with it, isn't there?

Nope, it all seems good actually. Ya took all my criticism to advice to try and better it. I'll definitely be checking the thread out, man.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Possible Titles:
These tits take forever to mask... oh well, Let's Play The Witcher 2 [VLP]
Medieval Politics, Violence, and Tits; A Balanced Diet. The Witcher 2 [VLP]

Background

"The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings" is an action role-playing hack and slash video game developed by Polish studio CD Projekt RED. It is a sequel to the 2007 video game "The Witcher" and like its predecessor, the game is based on the book series of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski.

The protagonist, Geralt of Rivia, is a professional monster slayer AKA witcher. Entangled in the political turmoil that engulfed Temeria, Geralt helped quell the rebellion of the Order of the Flaming Rose. Soon after, he saved King Foltest's life when the monarch was attacked by a witcher-like assassin. Follow Geralt's journey through the northern lands. Make decisions that strengthen or weakens the northern kingdoms while discovering more of Geralt's past.

LP Style

This LP will mostly be focused on the story but there will be some commentary on game mechanics. Will be pretty heavy on verbal commentary except doing cutscenes... usually.

The direction of the LP can be discussed but has to done using the spoiler tags. :siren:

What can be discussed

Game mechanics can be discussed whenever even if I haven't gotten to it. However, story spoilers requires spoiler tags. :siren:

If you ever wonder whether a spoiler tag is appropriate, it probably is.

Episodes
Note: "Original" quality is 1152p and has a much higher bitrate than 1080p. Can actually see textures instead of blobs. Consider using it if you like watching at 1080p.

Characters

Main

Geralt of Rivia is a witcher and the main protagonist of the Witcher and book series. Witchers are monster-hunters by trade and possess nearly superhuman abilities and are expert swordsmen. Often considered to be a mutant and inhuman by the people.

Despite his name, Geralt does not come from Rivia: he grew up in the witchers' keep of Kaer Morhen in the realm of Kaedwen. In the interest of appearing more trustworthy to potential clients, young witchers were encouraged to make up surnames for themselves by master Vesemir. In the end, he picked "Geralt Of Rivia" and even went so far as to adopt a Rivian accent to appear more authentic.

In the last game, Geralt saved King Foltest from an assassin and King Foltest made Geralt part of his court. However, Grealt is thinking about leaving the court when he is framed for murder.

Triss Merigold of Maribor is a sorceress. She is a friend of Yennefer and Geralt, and unhappily in love with the latter. She was a member of King Foltest's royal council as well as a founding member of the Lodge of Sorceresses.

She is a skilled healer and carries with her many magical potions, but she never uses them on herself because she is allergic to magic. She is also quite a powerful mage, certainly when it counts most.

Vernon Roche is the commander of the Blue Stripes, special forces of the Temerian military. Being Temerian, he holds his king, Foltest, in high regard.

Roche is renowned, among other things, for battling the Scoia'tael and quelling many a rebellious nonhuman community. It was under his command that the unit rose to fame.

Support

King Foltest is weird sexually. His daughter, Adda, was from his relationship with his sister, Adda. Later on, he had two kids with Baroness Maria Luiza La Valette and starts the Witcher 2 going to war over the two kids.

-----

I think that covers the sections that I want to cover. Game mechanics are kind of complicated and not too important for the story so I don't want to post about all of it. Anything else people would find interesting?

Also, of course, opinion on the titles?

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 28, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That is a pretty good job with the facial portraits!

(okay, seriously, is Triss allergic to potions in the lore or did you make that up as a snide way of explaining why she can't self-heal?)

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
It is true according to the wikia. Also, that's where I got the portraits.

So really, all I did is rehost, summarize, and format what I thought was interesting. My English teacher would kill me for this.

Regardless, any opinions on the possible titles?

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 28, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the "Let's Get Better" OP? I wanted to get this out of the way so I can post the thread and get going on this thing.

Just post it. If it doesn't work out, lock the thread and make a new one, or transform it into what you want it to be. Threads aren't a scarce resource, and you can edit posts.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
If there's no feed back then that might just mean there's no obvious problems, which means you're better then the youtubers and probably won't get laughed off the forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Razage posted:

If there's no feed back then that might just mean there's no obvious problems, which means you're better then the youtubers and probably won't get laughed off the forum.

Hasn't happened yet, though I guess the worst thing that could happen is that it becomes a Rogue Legacy LP, I even worked out how I could do that without it being repetitive.

• Locked thread