Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fortunately, you need not have played Xenogears to get exactly what's going on here, since they dropped the premise of it being a straight prequel pretty early on. Lot of the same themes, though, and still anime as hell. And lots of fanservice aimed at 'gears-players here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, I'm looking forward to getting through the ship and into the latter half of the game. It has its downfalls like the first half has its moments, but I remember it being significantly more relevant and exciting than the Pre-Cathedral Ship events.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many playthroughs of the game have been stopped by this abjectly terrible dungeon, jeez. Those color-swapped minibosses in the same dungeon are also just the laziest.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

This game sounds a lot like Anachronox: both take nearly half the game to get going and so their popularity tanked because everyone quit before the good parts got rolling.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Truthfully I think the plot surrounding Cathedral Ship is the high point of the series in terms of writing. Just... yeah. The series' bipolar treatment of plot and gameplay is not something most people will tolerate and it's really a shame because, for it's faults, I really like that the series tried to pull off a plot like this. It's something that could only work as a video game I think, but the way the series fizzled I dunno that anyone else would really be willing to improve on it and make another attempt.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised that with the composer they had this entire giant dungeon has no background music whatsoever.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Cathedral Ship is finally coming to a close, and with it, we're now over halfway done with the game.

Part 18: :smug:

(Click here for video)
No Commentary Over Cutscenes

:siren:VOTING TIME:siren:

I will be recording the next dungeon soon. Due to story reasons, Shion and Jr. need to be in the party. I need you guys to pick a third party member. Make sure to bold your votes so they are counted. Deadline is when I post the next update.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

KOS-MOS is the ultimate poke ball.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My prediction for this update was strangely accurate.

Uterus beam though, I don't think anyone expected that.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 26, 2013

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
chaos please? Want to see what he can do.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

More chaos, please.

Now, see? I liked the ending to that dungeon. I just don't know why it couldn't have come at least 20 minutes sooner.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lots to talk about from this update.

The scene with Margulis talking to Cherenkov is one of my favorites throughout the whole series. This game makes some questionable uses of its soundtrack but using "Beach of Nothingness" over that sequence was just perfect. I also found it pretty interesting and Margulis has always been my favorite Xeno villain since way back in the day.

Asso, now that Cherenkov is done for, I can post Margulis' personality write up:

quote:

* Enneagram type

According to the Enneagram personality analysis, Margulis is classified as a type 8 (brave / confident in himself / coercive /confrontational).

It is natural that he who is the commander of the U-TIC organization, that is to say the person who acts as the leader of the organization, is a type 8. In addition, he is not unhealthy like [the white-haired man] who is the same type, but rather, when it comes down to it, he is closer to the healthy Gaignun. However, Margulis' elitism creates a circumstance in which it is difficult to say that he is healthy.

Margulis has a lot of self control, is brave, rude, confident, authoritarian, coercive, proactive, developmental (?), stubborn, aggressive, confrontational, forceful, and dominating. With these special qualities, his leadership is unshakeable. Just as Andrew adored him, he has the charm to attract people with ideology. Also, as the commander of an armed organization, he has both military efficiency in his position of supervising people with many aggressive directives (?) and the ability to mobilize.

Margulis' speech and conduct fascinates the organization members who belong to the U-TIC organization. However, incidentally, he does not treat others as humans and tries to completely control them. Because of that, he himself becomes inhuman.

The experiment that made the planet Ariadne disappear is the most extreme example of that. When he received the report that Andrew had died, Margulis was slightly moved. His memories of Andrew moved him. However, when the planet Ariadne disappeared and 1,500,000,000 people died, because he did not regard them as human, there was not even a single ripple in his heart. He does not see individual humans, but rather bunches them together as a whole. The "innocent people" that Pellegri spoke of do not exist. However, people are not a mass with the number 1,500,000,000 either. However, Margulis only sees them as an amount with a numerical value.

A healthy but twisted type 8 like him will continue asserting himself until his objectives are achieved. When he has an objective that is twisted but can appeal to the hearts of many people rather than a selfish objective, he will have enough power to create cities and countries.

If he does not have the desire to get going as an individual, the U-TIC organization would develop greatly as an organization (I am unsure of this sentence).

Also gently caress that boss. I found a couple bosses harder later on but back in the day, he was a nightmare. He seems to be the boss most people remember being the most challenging too, probably because he's the first really challenging one.

Cherenkov was a well-done side character though. I felt bad for him.
Although his little warning to Shion was a bit ominous...

EDIT:

Gonna go with the flow and say chaos.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 26, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
chaos please. We need to keep everyone pretty evenly leveled.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Okay, so a lot of stuff happened this update, but I think the most important thing is that I finally got a good look at the Captain's hat.

That loving hat.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Makes you wish there was such a thing as the Xenosaga HD Remake. Captain Matthew's Hat in high resolution! That'll sell some copies.

Also. You Know You've Thought Too Much About Xenosaga When: you watch this update and everything in it makes perfect sense.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

CmdrKing posted:

you watch this update and everything in it makes perfect sense.

\o

Cherenkov got hit with the Gnosises way back after they met Captain Kaz. Then he proceeded to not give a crap until they got to the Cathedral Ship, which is chock full of evil Gnosis vibes, which made Cherenkov get more infected, giving him hallucinations of days past. Then he got to the Zohar Emulator, presumably he was trying to free it for U-TIC, but the Gnosis turned their vibes to 11 (read: exploited the feelings of weakness he had from being abandoned by society (this happens in every anime (ever))), transformed him into a Gnosis and then he lost control of himself. Then Shion and the gang killed him, and the Zohar (which is interested in Shion somehow) put up a telepathic link between Shion and Cherenkov, so he could say goodbye or whatever. So far the Zohar seem really invested in loving with Shion's head, though she's not alone in that respect.

Then space things happened, KOS-MOS revealed more signs of outside tampering in development/spiritual awakening and then her tummy fired a laser (probably made of magic) which somehow absorbed Gnosis.

I have never played this game. I'm literally just piecing together narrative cliches.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah that's all well and good but you seem to have misspelled vagina as tummy in your post (I'm not spoiling that because it's just too lovely out of context). KOS-MOS literally just gave reverse birth to a bunch of Gnosis.

I've gotta be honest, I never thought I'd see the day that being able to write "a robot in this game fires a laser out of a symbolic vagina that absorbs a bunch of somewhat phallic space aliens into said vagina" would make sense in context. Thanks Scurvykip, I guess.

Oh, and go with chaos, I think I'm done with KOS-MOS for the rest of this series.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

YourAverageJoe posted:

\o

I have never played this game. I'm literally just piecing together narrative cliches.

Ah, but why do all those things happen, and how are they possible? Those are the answers that make you say "oh god I've wasted my life".
e: To be clear, it's not just that the answers are weird, it's that some of them are explained in a way that intentionally obfuscate the matter but are actually really straightforward once you chew on them a while.

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 26, 2013

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Congratulations on getting through the worst point in the game. It's uphill from here on out!

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Take chaos and form Team Giant Robots Only.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I'm going to say Jr.. Not only does he become far less annoying as the saga goes on, chaos isn't very effective against non-gnosis enemies and we just suck all of those into our robot vagina. I can't believe I just typed that.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

chaos. chaos is cool.

mmj posted:

I'm going to say Jr.. Not only does he become far less annoying as the saga goes on, chaos isn't very effective against non-gnosis enemies and we just suck all of those into our robot vagina. I can't believe I just typed that.

ScurvyKip posted:

I will be recording the next dungeon soon. Due to story reasons, Shion and Jr. need to be in the party.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
chaos all day. If I recall, he gets pretty stylish later on and everyone likes style.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mmj posted:

Chaos was pretty good in general, in my experience. He doesn't wreck shop against humans or mechs as well as he does against gnosis, but he's still no slouch, and he's got some good support abilities too.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Will Smith and his family had a pretty strong reaction to KOS-MOS' "special ability" in the last episode.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ScurvyKip posted:

I will be recording the next dungeon soon. Due to story reasons, Shion and Jr. need to be in the party. I need you guys to pick a third party member. Make sure to bold your votes so they are counted. Deadline is when I post the next update.

Cchaos so that we get the other three party members.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Livingtrope posted:

Yeah that's all well and good but you seem to have misspelled vagina as tummy in your post (I'm not spoiling that because it's just too lovely out of context).

I was trying to keep my language work safe, but okay.

CmdrKing posted:

Ah, but why do all those things happen, and how are they possible?

There's a lot to be explained (something the Japanese are not keen on doing), but for now I'm happy with "a Zohar did it". For one, we don't know why only a few select people can interact with the Zohar, or what that interaction entails. We don't know whether the Zohar are sentient or just mindless drones working for a higher power somewhere in hyperspace/another dimension, or even what their (masters') goals are. We do know they have a connection with the afterlife, either they project memories of people or commune with real ghosts.

As for KOS-MOS, it could be any number of magical science terms common to anime. So far the game's been content with bashing us with an "outside tampering" angle, but whether it's technological or spiritual (the good ol' robot soul trope) has yet to be explained. KOS-MOS DID come into close contact with the Zohar just before (ghosts hacking into her system?), so that might have something to do with her going all super-mom.

At least we know one thing for sure: The captain's hat is rad. And the party needs chaos

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I see KOS-MOS has developed a case of Plot-Dependent Powers.

\/\/\/EDIT\/\/\/

It is certainly a hallmark of the genre, and the game does not disappoint.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 27, 2013

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I see KOS-MOS has developed a case of Plot-Dependent Powers.

What part of "anime as gently caress" do you not understand?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh and the term "Life Recycling Variant" was used to describe Cherenkov, and it will be used again. I think it be best to post the Database's explanation of what it means.

quote:

A term which encompasses individuals or their descendants who have had their DNA, neural structure, or other bio- logical components heavily modified. Some may display extraordinary physical abilities or superhuman powers depending on the level of modification, but on the other hand many suffer from adverse mental effects.

In the case of Cherenkov, he was part of a Super Soldier program developed by a "certain branch of the military." He was created via artificial insemination, and equipped with several modifications before being sent off to battle.

Also, I wanna bring up something I didn't mention earlier. As you might expect, back in the heyday of Xenosaga online discussions and theories and explanations, one aspect of Episode 1 that was looked at closely was the scene right before the Gnosis drag the Elsa out of hyperspace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR0m06qHmvk&t=5m19s

As you can see, we are specifically shown MOMO's hands along with Shion's going all glowy. This led to a lot of speculation about "what" exactly was the deal with Shion. There had to be a purpose to this little detail.

A more blatant hint something is up with Shion can be found in the Datbase, referencing the scene where Shion and Virgil tried to fight off he intangible Gnosis back on the Woglinde:

quote:

FAE (Fuel Air Explosive)

Conventional FAEs disperse a cloud of fuel which is then ignited once it reaches the intended coverage, resulting in a powerful explosion. Those in close proximity to this explosion will either be flattened by the massive pressure wave, incinerated by the extremely high heat, or sufferthe effects of rapid decompression caused by the updraft of super heated air (mainly suffocation and internal hemorrhage).

The largest weapon of this type has a range with a radius of several kilometers.

Although the FAE used by the Gnosis is smaller, it appears to have the same effects. However, the substance used as fuel is unknown.

Here, by the way, is another mystery: Since Virgil was inside an A.G.W.S., his survival can be explained but how could Shion, who was totally unprotected, come out unscathed? It appears that Shion is quite a bit tougher than she looks.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I forgot jr. Was already coming, sorry. In that case I'll throw in my vote for chaos because he hasn't had much screen time and his attacks look pretty cool (and super anime of course)

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

NikkolasKing posted:

A more blatant hint something is up with Shion can be found in the Datbase, referencing the scene where Shion and Virgil tried to fight off he intangible Gnosis back on the Woglinde:

I think that's more the database poking fun at inconsistencies in the game more than anything. It does this in other entries as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, have you ever seen an anime where being bodily thrown ten feet and slammed into something actually caused real harm to any main character?

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Thanks to this, and the xenoblade LP, I've been having an terrible urge to play xenogears again. So now I'm doing that again, and now I'm in for the long haul. So i just wanna say gently caress you, but thanks anyway.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

ScurvyKip posted:

I think that's more the database poking fun at inconsistencies in the game more than anything. It does this in other entries as well.

The MWS projects a kinetic field to physically protect Shion. Just saying, it's the reason she's still running around in normal clothes then anything remotely protective... like... what no one else is also wearing, except chaos. (he's wearing an EVA suit.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

Lots to talk about from this update.

The scene with Margulis talking to Cherenkov is one of my favorites throughout the whole series. This game makes some questionable uses of its soundtrack but using "Beach of Nothingness" over that sequence was just perfect. I also found it pretty interesting and Margulis has always been my favorite Xeno villain since way back in the day.

I dunno, for my money Grahf pulled it off better. "DOST THOU DESIRE THE POWER" just seems more authentic than the whole "you're the only real person in a world of sheeple" thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cdyoung posted:

The MWS projects a kinetic field to physically protect Shion. Just saying, it's the reason she's still running around in normal clothes then anything remotely protective... like... what no one else is also wearing, except chaos. (he's wearing an EVA suit.)

EVA suit? Looks more like he got fashion tips from Claire Redfield back in RE2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Glazius posted:

I dunno, for my money Grahf pulled it off better. "DOST THOU DESIRE THE POWER" just seems more authentic than the whole "you're the only real person in a world of sheeple" thing.

Grahf was a fantastic villain but his theatrics can't really be compared with Margulis' recruitment speech about joining his space religion army.

Grahf was certainly better with the drama though, I agree. He's my favorite bad guy in Gears or Saga.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Alright guys, after a bit of a long break and Unpronounceable moving and getting new internet, I bring you a new update!

Part 19: It's all up from here

(Click here for video)
No Commentary Over Cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ScurvyKip posted:

Alright guys, after a bit of a long break and Unpronounceable moving and getting new internet, I bring you a new update!

Part 19: It's all up from here

So Juniors some sort of Realian too ? Although, the way he talks about Momo doesn't really imply that he is, it makes the most sense. But apparently he hasn't aged in forever and he has a serial number. Also, biblical references all over the place this time.

• Locked thread