Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well that is about 50 times worse than I thought it would be actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I hate singing Em. He needs someone to taper him back. He needs someone to say No motherfucker.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Wow

Don't know what I expected, but in hindsight yeah that's about what I expected

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Yeah, I don't know why I expected something relatively acceptable but wow that's bad

Also can't believe Rick Rubin was responsible for that beat. There's waaaayyyyy too much going on

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

Also can't believe Rick Rubin was responsible for that beat. There's waaaayyyyy too much going on
Yeah and no. I can hear the rock influence and its good. But the singing rear end hook is too much.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 27, 2013

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
Can we please bring back Nate Dogg from the dead so that someone that doesn't completely suck at singing (even with autotune) can do the choruses for Eminem songs?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know, I kind of liked it. The beat wasn't great, would've liked something else, the autotune for Ems voice was a little too much, the hook got annoying, but the rapping was pretty on par. At least he's getting out of that emo / horror spot and going a little bit wackier.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I actually like that first portion where he's jocking Beastie Boys. Wish the whole song was like that instead of...whatever it was.

Edit:

I AM BRAWW posted:

I don't know, I kind of liked it. The beat wasn't great, would've liked something else, the autotune for Ems voice was a little too much, the hook got annoying, but the rapping was pretty on par. At least he's getting out of that emo / horror spot and going a little bit wackier.

It definitely feels less forced than all of the stuff he's made since he got sober, so I guess that's cool. It's still bad music though.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
People can't listen to this song with an open mind. 95% of people were expecting Eminem to go after every rapper in the game while talking about his step dad raping him and Nate Dogg singing a hook.

The bar has been set to high. Can Eminem legitimately come out with anything that really impresses someone?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This sounds like some Mindless Self Indulgence poo poo. I like it but I mean c'mon Em.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Skeezy posted:

This sounds like some Mindless Self Indulgence poo poo. I like it but I mean c'mon Em.

HA was actually going to say that the "all night long" sounds just like Jimmy Urine. The hooks in Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP were fine. Hopefully there is a few good tracks off of it though, but not expecting too much at this point.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Does he really say "I'm trying to find a way to get you alone (CAR NOTE)" :negative:

The Future line is kinda funny I guess. Oh well.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Whoa that's not a bad thing. I used to wait for the remix but people don't make those any more.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

temple posted:

Whoa that's not a bad thing. I used to wait for the remix but people don't make those any more.

I made it sound like a bad thing, but really this is cool and I like the song this way.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
My favorite Danny Brown, but I first heard him on Black and Brown which sold me.
http://youtu.be/lEt0KPnJ8AI

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

yikes

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Are we sure this isn't a track left over from his Relapse era? I thought hanging around Slaughterhouse was supposed to do him good.

Zzu posted:

People can't listen to this song with an open mind. 95% of people were expecting Eminem to go after every rapper in the game while talking about his step dad raping him and Nate Dogg singing a hook.

The bar has been set to high. Can Eminem legitimately come out with anything that really impresses someone?
I was legitimately impressed with some of the tracks on Recovery and overall I think it was a decent album. I'm not above giving Eminem his due when it comes to new material, but this is pretty lackluster.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 27, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress, Danny Brown's been working overtime lately, been getting a new track feature from him what feels like daily. Verse after verse after verse. Dude working haaard. I'd buy OLD off the quality of these features alone, they've all be decent or better.

Also, since other people are posting their favourite Danny Brown poo poo here, DNA off XXX is always good to me.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I like the part where for several lines Eminem's lyrics consist majorly of "bang-bang, boo-bop, bow bow bow chicka-wow-wow".

No I don't.

e: It really amazes me that people will still eat this up and Eminem will be praised as the best rapper of all time by tons of people who barely actually listen to rap.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 27, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare: This sounds like a Lonely Island parody of Eminem or some poo poo

Skeezy posted:

Yeah for real, he straight up sounds like Jimmy Urine at some points in this.

This is weird as all gently caress. And not in a good way.

This is the first single from MMLP2? Hahahahahahaha

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Further proof Eminem is wack. Although it wasn't needed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'd never actually gotten around to listening to Hawaiian Snow before - it has TWO Lil B features on it! Crazy.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Thw only good thing Eminem has done in the last 10 years or so is his verse in that poo poo song off Revovery that had lil Wayne in it.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

So I know everyone's talking about some boring rear end 201 Eminem song but Trap Lord is the poo poo and an album hasn't appealed to me like this since Flockaveli. The beats are great and remind me of some caveman poo poo and it works because the whole thing appeals on a real primal, reptile get drunk and do hoodrat things kind of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEwsxmEw44

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
I like to get in touch with my primal, reptilian, base primitive side by listening to "urban trap" style music. It satisfies my wild chimp-like urges

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

I really like the hook and some of the bars are sharp but that poo poo is way overproduced. It's like Rick Rubin saved every sound he ordered cut from Yeezus and dumped them all on this track.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

animal drums posted:

I like to get in touch with my primal, reptilian, base primitive side by listening to "urban trap" style music. It satisfies my wild chimp-like urges

No

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

GET MONEY posted:

I really like the hook and some of the bars are sharp but that poo poo is way overproduced. It's like Rick Rubin saved every sound he ordered cut from Yeezus and dumped them all on this track.

The hook wouldn't be that bad if Em wasn't singing it - there lies the problem.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Huh, I don't know what to do with this. There are a few aspects of the song that I like, but it's also weird and really overproduced. It sure as hell isn't going to find it's way into my library. :shrug:

MMLP was a really great and important album in my youth, and I sighed when I saw that the new album title.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, I don't know what to do with this. There are a few aspects of the song that I like, but it's also weird and really overproduced. It sure as hell isn't going to find it's way into my library. :shrug:

MMLP was a really great and important album in my youth, and I sighed when I saw that the new album title.

It's worth keeping in mind that Eminem singles are never really indicative of the quality or tone of the album. It's a bad song, but at least the material doesn't sound forced and stupid, just stupid.

Seems pretty clear given Rubin's involvement that Eminem wanted to make a Beastie Boys influenced track -- and they succeed in the first verse to some extent -- but there's just way, way, way too much going on with the beat and with the vocal track for it to work. It's not a coincidence that the best verse is the one with the least going on in the background. It's like Rubin forgot that part of what made the rap-rock style that groups like Beastie Boys and Run DMC made big was the fact that the instrumentation was always crisp and efficient, never overbearing (more unacceptable considering he's one of the dudes that created it in the first place). That's definitely not the case here.

I really don't mind the hook that much, tbh. Cool Kendrick Lamar shoutout too (when a shoutout is a highlight of a song, you know it's bad).

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 27, 2013

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

He's making fun of the poo poo post before his, :milk:

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

animal drums posted:

All I was saying was that the music appeals in a real visceral sense. It's got that real testosterone fueled vibe with a layer of drug induced pseudo spirtuality cribbed from Bone Thugz. I wasn't trying to otherize the culture surrounding "urban trap" style music but I guess I'm the real racist.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

post your favorite recent eminem poo poo.

T.I. feat. Eminem - That's All She Wrote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBiPkIuB1g

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

a glorious hole posted:

post your favorite recent eminem poo poo.

T.I. feat. Eminem - That's All She Wrote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBiPkIuB1g

Bad Meets Evil was cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5AsY3dxXh0

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I don't know, I think the hook (and maybe the opening verse) is the only good part of that song, but maybe I need to listen again when I've had some coffee. It certainly doesn't feel like anything that would've been on MMLP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Professor Funk posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that Eminem singles are never really indicative of the quality or tone of the album.
Wasn't Stan a single on the first MMLP though?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
But not the first single; The Real Slim Shady was.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Berzerk is ok. Not nearly as terrible as y'all making it out to be. The beat is too busy and the last half of the track does stupid poo poo, but it's an ok track and the rap itself is fine.

P.S. Danny Brown! This thread sleeps waaaaaay too hard on his mixtapes.

DSoM3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zb98NFcuxE
Hot Soup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQrEW_KQgak

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wasn't Stan a single on the first MMLP though?

I was talking introductory singles, which have generally been really poppy and (at least with the first few albums) not as high quality as the album it was on. So My Name Is, Real Slim Shady, Without Me, We Made You. The only exception is Not Afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Another Person posted:

Also, since other people are posting their favourite Danny Brown poo poo here, DNA off XXX is always good to me.

I've been wanting to ask this question here for almost 2 years but kept forgetting: Is the hook on DNA taken from the Dead Prez song "hosed Up" as an homage, or is it a popular saying that I just never heard before? Reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxILMa5LrqU The end of Sticman's verse.

• Locked thread