Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
We haven't gotten to Hotel Mario yet no spoilers about the number of dogs involved please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Wouldn't it be a hotel for chain chomps?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Panzerschwein posted:

Wouldn't it be a hotel for chain chomps?

Hotel for Poochies :colbert:

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Duck Hunt (1985)
Part 1/1 (LP pt.25) [Youtube][Source]

We play what most might agree is more Duck Hunt than is interesting.

To the Earth (1989)
Bonus Episode [Youtube][Source]

We played this dumb light gun game... And then at some point we started complaining about people who hate Call of Duty too much? I don't know, man; it was weird.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

In addition to Ness being a joke to the NES, it's also a callback to the Mother 1 protagonist, Ninten.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Electrons are what are used in a crt, not neutrons. Be very glad that it is not neutrons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

No lie, just yesterday, I was thinking back to seeing Kyle's IRL face due to that Sims Goonhouse LP, and wondering what Keith looked like IRL.

Also, some people use zappers, some people are spazzes and and used this fantastic little thing:

I was one of those spazzes. It's to the lightgun what the power glove was to the standard controller. It claimed you had to speak into the microphone to fire, when just puffing air worked fine. A little laser crosshair appeared on the blue eyepiece as a "scope" too. It was bulky, and terrible.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
I was led to believe that Kyle had a green beard. Also, holding the gun sideways (Gangsta style?) is the only way to play lightgun games.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I can't tell if you two don't actually know it, but gravity does affect light in that it distorts space-time, which then makes light seem to "bend".

More on topic: If you play the clay shooting game until you increase the score past it's threshold (999999) it just resets back to 0, which I was disappointed to find out a few years ago.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I like how your protection muffs are a headset with the mic taped up.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Did you guys discuss light gun games without talking about Virtua Cop? For shame.

Seriously, though - good videos.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else have a nes lightgun game called Gotcha! ?

It was sort of a capture the flag thing that sneered Gotcha at you when you got shot.

Also obligatory facecam comments:
1. hang stuff on your wall
2. you look different than i imagined

Upthorn
Apr 29, 2009

19LettersLong posted:

We play what most might agree is more Duck Hunt than it is interesting.

I agree, on the continuum from "Duck Hunt" to "interesting", the content of that video falls much closer to the duck hunt end of the scale.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Anyone else have a nes lightgun game called Gotcha! ?

It was sort of a capture the flag thing that sneered Gotcha at you when you got shot.

Also obligatory facecam comments:
1. hang stuff on your wall
2. you look different than i imagined

Funny thing, had the boys switched bodies, they would have matched far closer to how their voices look in my heads. It's weird.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Funny thing, had the boys switched bodies, they would have matched far closer to how their voices look in my heads. It's weird.

Why ya gotta make it sound like some kind of bad fanfiction?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I remember when Kyle mentioned some guy on the internet comparing him to the mouth of Sauron so that's how I always imagined him until now. He's just a normal guy after all. :unsmith:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

midwat posted:

Did you guys discuss light gun games without talking about Virtua Cop? For shame.

Seriously, though - good videos.
JUSTICE SHOT!

Seriously though gently caress yes Duck Hunt. I used to play this game all the time when I was like 5 years old, wasn't amazing, but I got better and had some hella fun.
My copy still works even, I tried it last year and I was nailing perfects after all these modern shooters have...not actually affected me at all. Also, yes I used gangsta style and it worked perfectly fine. I actually weirdly get more hits with the ducks using gangsta style than normal style, maybe because of how the hitboxes are spaced?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
CRT's have an ELECTRON gun. You cannot accelerate a neutral particle using a voltage like CRT's do. The way a CRT worked is it sent out an electron beam toward the screen and the beam passed between 2 sets of plates that were each charged a set amount to hit a certain spot on the screen. The spot that it hit on the screen was set to move at a set rate. The rate that it moved back and forth was based on the 60Hz AC coming in from the outlet. The moving (or scanning) back and forth is why there are scan-lines that you have to deal with. Anyway, the incoming signal from any source only changed the spot it was suppose to hit slightly and because of how they set up the positions of the colors within the pixels they only needed a small change to hit that color.

HDTVs don't have to scan back and forth any more because they can turn on or off individual pixels. The down side to that is that they have to convert the information that they get into a picture and put that on screen. So, the refresh rate depends on 2 things how fast the pixels can be switched and how fast the signal can be converted.

Also, the electrons are getting stopped by the screen. If you are getting bathed in neutrons you would be dead now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Major_JF posted:

You cannot accelerate a neutral particle using a voltage like CRT's do.

Technically, if you try really really really hard, you can. But inducing a dipole on a neutron is pretty hard.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Technically, if you try really really really hard, you can. But inducing a dipole on a neutron is pretty hard.

Fine, you cannot appreciatively accelerate a neutron in the ~100,000 volt field that CRTs used.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

So wait how is Duck Hunt a Mario game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The T posted:

They explain it two ways during the video

1. it was in the same cart as mario bros.
2. it is an important precursor to the snes light gun games that actually feature mario

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The T posted:

You never actually see the hunter you're playing as. Who's to say it's not Mario?

On the subject of the Mother series, you should absolutely play Earthbound at the very least. The Mother 3 fan translation is also very good. I normally can't stand turn based RPGs but I absolutely love those two games. The first one, not so much. If you're into the genre and liked the first couple of Final Fantasy games you'll probably enjoy it but I'm not into the genre so I didn't.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Real hurthling! posted:

They explain it two ways during the video

1. it was in the same cart as mario bros.
2. it is an important precursor to the snes light gun games that actually feature mario

:colbert: So then why didn't they play Chu Chu Rocket for 20 Years of Sonic?

(By the way I totally accept them making a video of this just for the hell of it and even posting it here, it's their thread. But it's totally not a Mario game.)

Back to Duck Hunt, something I always wondered; how does it know which Duck you are hitting when there are 2 ducks? Does it flash them separately on 2 different frames and check 2 frames?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I like how you guys have your game-room be a featureless white box.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

The T posted:

Back to Duck Hunt, something I always wondered; how does it know which Duck you are hitting when there are 2 ducks? Does it flash them separately on 2 different frames and check 2 frames?

Exactly that. That's also how it knows when you're pointing it at a light bulb instead of the TV.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Could someone explain this in more detail please? It's very interesting, but the basic explanation is beyond me.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The zapper is basically a tube with a light sensor. The trigger makes the game flash. So you see this:

because it's really fast. But if you took a screenshot at the exact moment you pull the trigger, you'd see this:

and at the exact same time, that's what the light gun sees. However, the light gun sensor is way back in the barrel, which limits its field of view. So all it sees (assuming you hit a duck) is this:

and if you miss, it just sees black, and you miss.

At least, that's more or less my understanding of it.

Also, Keith mentioned a purple zapper. I thought the sega genesis light bazooka had purple elements, but a search shows me otherwise, and I can't find any other purple light guns. So, it might have been a knockoff or something.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I meant an explanation for how it distinguishes which duck you're shooting.

Also, wasn't the super scope purple?

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Choco1980 posted:

Also, wasn't the super scope purple?

Based on the screenshots there, I'd say it decides which one you hit based on whether the square is taller or wider. I'm pretty sure that in the game that both ducks are never in the same orientation at the same time. That's just a guess, though.

About the tiny hitboxes in To the Earth, though: the smaller the sprite was (i.e. the farther away it was supposed to be) the smaller the hitboxes were. Duck Hunt did the same thing in the skeet shooting game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's the duration of the white flash. It does one frame of all black, then turns all the targets white, then goes black again, with the targets vanishing one by one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Choco1980 posted:

It's based on the timing. The NES knows which target it's drawing the white box on at the time that it detects the hit.

There were some other options for later zappers, so reading wiki might be useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
We're going to get Kyle and Keith play 20 Years of Mother at some point, I just know it.

Keith will complain and complain until he's told that that 20 years is a sum total of three games.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Because I felt like being a huge nerd, I loaded up an emulator and used frame advance to see what was happening.

It goes a bit like this (after registering that you've took a shot):

Frame 1: Black screen
Frame 2: Black screen, but there's a white box around where one of the ducks was
Frame 3: Same as frame 2, but for the other duck

So it figures out which frame it saw white on, and if it didn't then you missed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What kind of dog do you have? OR did you give a baby a set of carkeys to play with around 25 minutes into Duck Hunt? :v:

Upthorn
Apr 29, 2009

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Because I felt like being a huge nerd, I loaded up an emulator and used frame advance to see what was happening.

It goes a bit like this (after registering that you've took a shot):

Frame 1: Black screen
Frame 2: Black screen, but there's a white box around where one of the ducks was
Frame 3: Same as frame 2, but for the other duck

So it figures out which frame it saw white on, and if it didn't then you missed.

Not exactly. The way the light gun determines what area it hits is based on the timing of the CRT scanning electron gun. See, Cathode Ray Tube monitors/televisions have an electron gun that works (to oversimplify) basically like a super fast ink-jet printer. It illuminates the pixels from left to right in one row, then from left to right in the next row, and so forth.

So it goes
Frame 1: normal duckhunt screen
Frame 2: black screen
Frame 3: black screen with white boxes for each duck.

And based upon the timing of when the light sensor detects white, it knows which pixel was being drawn at the time. It's a very technical hack to accomplish the effect, and it's very sensitive to timing. It also, of course, doesn't work for any display technology besides CRT. LCD, Plasma, and OLED displays all update their pixels simultaneously, but with a slight response lag, and as a result, the light gun can't use timing to determine coordinates.

Well, that's the basic principles. Different light guns implement it in different ways. Some light guns generate a hardware interrupt when triggered, and a hardware interrupt when they detect white, and then let the console/game determine what area got hit. Other light guns are informed by the console when VBLANK happens (gun scans back to top-left in preparation for the next frame) and then track the timing internally and report the coordinates.

Because of this, if a light gun uses the first type of detection, and the game doesn't account properly for that, you can always hit the top-left target by aiming at a light bulb.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Huh, the way that wiki article was written, it suggested that CRT coordinate tracking wasn't used until the 16-bit era, and sounded like a relieving shortcut for programmers. That combined with Test Pilot Monkey's findings of staggered light tracing by actually going frame-by-frame, makes me wonder if perhaps Duck Hunt, being as early as it is, may not be as elegantly programmed.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Haha loving To The Earth. The entire game is all about memorizing the pattern of the level and what to shoot at. The only time you want to be shooting at ships (To regain energy) is when you've taken damage from missing bombs and meteors.
I could get up to the third boss when I was like, 7. :suicide:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I had a game called 'Freedom Force', it was kind of like Operation Wolf (with terrorists) only with the light gun, and drat was that game hard. I never beat it even when I cheated and held the gun to the screen. Come to think of it, are there any light gun games, other than Duck Hunt, that aren't complete bullshit?

edit: I also had a power pad! I spent an entire evening once defeating all the AI opponents in World Class Track Meet, legitimately (not pounding hands on the pad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I had a game called 'Freedom Force', it was kind of like Operation Wolf (with terrorists) only with the light gun, and drat was that game hard. I never beat it even when I cheated and held the gun to the screen. Come to think of it, are there any light gun games, other than Duck Hunt, that aren't complete bullshit?

edit: I also had a power pad! I spent an entire evening once defeating all the AI opponents in World Class Track Meet, legitimately (not pounding hands on the pad).

I was about to yell at you being all what the gently caress are you talking about Freedom Force doesn't have a lightgun, then I googled it and learned that there was a Freedom Force on the NES.

• Locked thread