Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

GD_American posted:

Alright.

Who is it in the last panel?

Tyrest walking into the portal. Head spikes and cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Oh my. MTMTE20 has the single saddest panel. :smith:

The Something Cybertron Forums > General Scrap > E/N Scrap > My *cat* died and I miss them so much :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sentinel Red posted:

The Something Cybertron Forums > General Scrap > E/N Scrap > My ***cat*** died and I miss them so much :(

Remember that photoshop Aatrek did of the SA forums in the Star Trek universe?

...I'll be in Chrome's pagesource editor for a while, I think.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, if you criticize anything James Roberts does, the fandom has a tendency to pounce on you immediately. I love 95% of his comic immensely and recommend it to everyone but if I have a tiny nitpick like "Eh, I dunno how I feel about an evil Star Saber" people are like "BWAAAAAH HOW DARE YOU QUESTION HIM?!?!"

Remember when they did this with Furman?

I'd really like for Roberts to graduate to TV work. He's so great at packing backstory and world-building into comics, it'd be neat to see him do something with 22 minutes of airtime versus 22 pages.

For one, it'd be an instant improvement over TF:Prime's decompressed storytelling.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

GD_American posted:

Remember when they did this with Furman?

I'd really like for Roberts to graduate to TV work. He's so great at packing backstory and world-building into comics, it'd be neat to see him do something with 22 minutes of airtime versus 22 pages.

For one, it'd be an instant improvement over TF:Prime's decompressed storytelling.

Well, a lot of things would be an improvement over TFP's non-existent storytelling.

One thing that kinda sucks, is that nobody reads Transformers comics except for Transformers fans, and to non-fans it's "some toy advertisement Michael Bay garbage" so it might take a while for James Roberts to get noticed. On the plus side, this means we get to keep him for a while.

But no, he's a very talented writer and I really hope he graduates to something better. Simon Furman is forever "the Transformers comics guy", but Roberts is so much better than that and deserves to move up in the world.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

But no, he's a very talented writer and I really hope he graduates to something better. Simon Furman is forever "the Transformers comics guy", but Roberts is so much better than that and deserves to move up in the world.

I remember there being this cartoon in the very late 90s or early 2000s that Simon Furman wrote for, but gently caress if I can remember what it was about. Which I think speaks to its quality.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

I remember there being this cartoon in the very late 90s or early 2000s that Simon Furman wrote for, but gently caress if I can remember what it was about. Which I think speaks to its quality.

Simon Furman wrote the last couple episodes of Beast Wars. I think that's just because Transformers fans really loved him at the time, though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, uh, we might be getting movie-brand Dinobots.

If it were still 2007 I'd be excited, but now I'm just stuck wondering how this will inevitably end up WORSE than Beast Hunters.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Beast Hunters are pretty cool so gently caress you buddy :colbert:

But yeah movie Dinobots are probably gonna disappoint, and they won't be the typical dinobots except for grimlock grimlock grimlock the only dinobot that matters.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I can only imagine what kind of aesthetic disaster the Bayverse Dinobots are going to be.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think movie Ravage looked better than just about anything else, so a tiny bit of hope?

oh wait, laserbeak's face...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Movieverse dinobots probably won't have actual robot modes and will just be big robot dinosaurs.

Which would actually be pretty cool because I wouldn't mind a Grimlock robot mode that was just like, MADE of joints.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bet they'll combine. You'll see.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'll bet on you both being right, and they'll be a team of robots with no alt modes who combine into a giant junkyard sculpture dinosaur that Optimus Prime rides into the final battle.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Movieverse dinobots probably won't have actual robot modes and will just be big robot dinosaurs.

Which would actually be pretty cool because I wouldn't mind a Grimlock robot mode that was just like, MADE of joints.

Dinosaurs that turn into MONSTER TRUCKS.

Actually that would be really cool, so it probably won't happen in the movie.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

MTMTE was excellent as usual. I can't be the only one who thought of Inception during Skids' backstory explanation, right?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Simon Furman wrote the last couple episodes of Beast Wars. I think that's just because Transformers fans really loved him at the time, though.

Hey, about Beast Wars...

I finished (re)watching the series for the first time since I was in second grade. A few thoughts:

-Season Two is easily the strongest, although I'd only label a handful of episodes as "bad", and most of those are buried early in S1 (e.g., the one where all the Maximals think they're actually animals).

-"Code of Hero" is indeed fantastic, but "The Agenda" (pts. 1-3) is so obviously the pinnacle of the series' run. It's just too bad that all of Megatron's work is immediately undone within the first two minutes of S3.

-Silverbolt and Blackarachnia are perfect together.

-Silverbolt is perfect, period. gently caress the haters.

-A couple pages back, someone brought up how MTMTE made Transformers ridiculously durable. The same rule applies to Beast Wars, but goddamn, a little more consistency would've been nice. Judging from the major deaths on this show, the only surefire ways to kill a TF are a) by dropping him into a lava pit, b) by setting off a massive gently caress-off explosion, or c) by waiting for his battery to run out (note: rules a and b are subject to change).

-Also, is it just me or was the entire Vok subplot completely dropped after "Other Victories"?

-Those protohumans... yeah.

And now my 100% official, totally comprehensive Beast Wars character rankings!

Megatron > Dinobot > Tarantulas > Waspinator > Optimus > Blackarachnia > Inferno > Silverbolt > Rattrap > Quickstrike > Rhinox > Rampage > Tigatron > Tigerhawk > Depth Charge > Cheetor > Ravage > Terrorsaur > Scorponok > Transmutate > Tripedacus Council Guys >>>>>> Airazor

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Keldroc posted:

I'll bet on you both being right, and they'll be a team of robots with no alt modes who combine into a giant junkyard sculpture dinosaur that Optimus Prime rides into the final battle.

This is a bad thing?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Veg posted:

This is a bad thing?

Dinobots that don't turn into dinosaurs are a very bad thing, yes. Also they're in a Michael Bay movie, so doubling down on the very bad things. In the comedy relief department, Bay's Grimlock will probably be an intelligent design proponent. You know, for irony.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Veg posted:

MTMTE 21 speculation, what if Rodimus ends up biting it? I've seen a lot of talk that his matrix bearing spark will give back all the life the switch took, like when he stepped on Luna-1, in exchange for his life.

drat you Roberts, I was so looking foward to Daj Atlas being Rodimus' new third in charge too.

I reckon it will be Ratchet, as he said his goodbye to First Aid as they were leaving the Medibay. Also note that Rodimus said not everyone escaped the jail cell when they slide through the electrobars...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm moving into my new house in about a week and a half, what are the goon-recommended shelves/cases/whatever for action figures and statues and poo poo?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You Am I posted:

I reckon it will be Ratchet, as he said his goodbye to First Aid as they were leaving the Medibay. Also note that Rodimus said not everyone escaped the jail cell when they slide through the electrobars...

I'm pretty sure it's not Rodimus as he appears on some Dark Cybertron covers, I believe.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm moving into my new house in about a week and a half, what are the goon-recommended shelves/cases/whatever for action figures and statues and poo poo?

Ikea Detolfs.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Dinobots that don't turn into dinosaurs are a very bad thing, yes. Also they're in a Michael Bay movie, so doubling down on the very bad things. In the comedy relief department, Bay's Grimlock will probably be an intelligent design proponent. You know, for irony.
I was going to point out that Cybertronians are intelligently designed, but then I remembered the movieverse and the Decepticon babies, and now I don't know what the gently caress, much less care.
But there's a junkyard sculpture dinosaur in one of my local malls and it's p. fuckin' neato.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but

quote:

Both Optimus Prime and Bumblebee will reportedly ride the Dinobots Grimlock and a Pterandon (possibly Swoop) into battle in Hong Kong...
http://www.movieweb.com/news/will-transformers-4-include-grimlock-and-the-dinobots

My guess on the movie Dinobots is they'll transform from regular looking vehicles into dinosaurs in place of a robot mode. I just can't picture Bay giving anything an alt mode that isn't product placement by GM or fellating the military.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would be totally okay with Grimlock going from a tank or something into a robot dinosaur. Trypticon didn't have a man-shaped robot mode either in G1!

Swoop would probably go from a Predator Drone into a pterodactyl. Or something completely unrelated to flying into a pterodactyl, like a Humvee.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

My guess on the movie Dinobots is they'll transform from regular looking vehicles into dinosaurs in place of a robot mode. I just can't picture Bay giving anything an alt mode that isn't product placement by GM or fellating the military.

Ravage and Laserbeak turned into a missile and anything the idiot plot required, respectively. Dinobots that only have beast modes and vehicle modes are definitely a bad enough idea to be part of a Bay film, but I really wonder if Hasbro would go along with that. The Dinobots are one of the few elements of G1 that everyone, even non-fans, remembers, and messing with that concept too radically might be seen as a risk.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
MTMTE 20 was great.

I always thought the "compromise" for a Bay movie Grimlock would be for him to be one of those destruction-derby/monster truck show fire breathing car dragon things.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Keldroc posted:

Ravage and Laserbeak turned into a missile and anything the idiot plot required, respectively. Dinobots that only have beast modes and vehicle modes are definitely a bad enough idea to be part of a Bay film, but I really wonder if Hasbro would go along with that. The Dinobots are one of the few elements of G1 that everyone, even non-fans, remembers, and messing with that concept too radically might be seen as a risk.

You know, like Soundwave.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rei_ posted:

You know, like Soundwave.

Soundwave has been many things over the years, plus the Bayverse Soundwave still ejects Ravage as his scout and still serves as the loyal enforcer and communications hub. Grimlock and the Dinobots are famous for being exactly one thing: Robots who turn into dinosaurs. I wouldn't bet against the idea of a vehicle/dinosaur, because it's just dumb enough to be plausible, but if I were Hasbro, I'd be pretty adamant that the Dinobots be what people expect.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hmm, i'm starting to think my crazy MTMTE theory that Tailgate becomes the new Ultra Magnus isn't so crazy after all.

Though, I still have a much crazier theory that Rewind is still alive!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Hahaha, yeah, right. Like Bumblebee being a small car with low self confidence and not R2-D2 Snake Eyes muscle car and Optimus Prime not being a psycho who rips off faces and lets human cities get attacked to prove a point, right?

"Hasbro won't let Bay take liberties." "Too much of a radical risk!" Hahahahahahaha

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Keldroc posted:

Starring Bill Engvall as Sludge, Ron White as Slag, Jeff Foxworthy as Swoop, and Larry the Cable Guy as Grimlock. That just leaves out Snarl, so we'll just throw Jeff Dunham in there as him.

Actually, sarcasm aside, Ron White would be an amazing Slag...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Mike Patton as Grimlock? All I can hear is his "Darkness" voice when I think of him. "Oh, listen to me, Jackie, I'm evil and totally enunciating every syllable... IN AN EVIL MANNER."

Just get the original voice actor t do it. He did a great job in Fall of Cybertron, different as it was.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Just get the original voice actor t do it. He did a great job in Fall of Cybertron, different as it was.
The Bay films have a precedent set for it with Soundwave and Prime, so I could see it happening. I think Bay said he wanted Prime to not be the focus of "the next trilogy" or whatever, so if there was a couple movies with Grimlock as the leader that'd be pretty cool. Then again, I (for the most part) like those movies, so I'm in the minority here.

Optimist Prime posted:

And now my 100% official, totally comprehensive Beast Wars character rankings!
I don't think I've ever found a character in all of Transformersdom as awful as Transmutate, save Michael Bay's Skids and Mudflap. Something about the gross way it looks, annoying voice and so on just make me glad it only lasted one episode. It was a sort of interesting concept but I didn't like the character at all.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
UK goons: Just checked TRU website and soundwave is available to order.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Action-Figures-and-Playsets/Transformers-Masterpiece-Soundwave(0104864)?searchPosition=1

Just bagged myself one as the store I visited didn't have any, just 2 acid storms.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not Rodimus as he appears on some Dark Cybertron covers, I believe.

Ikea Detolfs.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

I'll second this recommendation. They are great display cases with good viewing angles and a port above to add lighting should you choose to. It seems to be the defacto display case for a lot of collectors.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SRM posted:

I think Bay said he wanted Prime to not be the focus of "the next trilogy" or whatever, so if there was a couple movies with Grimlock as the leader that'd be pretty cool.

Only if he gets to wear his crown.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

SRM posted:

I don't think I've ever found a character in all of Transformersdom as awful as Transmutate, save Michael Bay's Skids and Mudflap. Something about the gross way it looks, annoying voice and so on just make me glad it only lasted one episode. It was a sort of interesting concept but I didn't like the character at all.

Fair enough, but at least that episode gave Rampage a little depth for a change.

Looking back, I never fully appreciated how revolutionary Beast Wars really was: a smaller cast, decompressed storytelling, and a shocking amount of trust in the attention span of a younger audience. So many episodes, especially in the first season, have the pacing and ambition of hard sci-fi. At times it almost feels like the battle scenes are shoehorned in, sort of a necessary compromise so that all of the "bigger" ideas can be explored. (Or maybe that's all due to budgetary limitations on '90s CGI, but hey.)

Back to Transformers in 2013/14. How do we feel about this? I'm going with "moderately disappointed".

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Optimist Prime posted:

Back to Transformers in 2013/14. How do we feel about this? I'm going with "moderately disappointed".

I really like the Barricade figure, I sort-of-kind-of won't kick Treadshot out of the display case... but that Fisitron/Ironfist is just a dumb colored poor choice mold.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I can accept that figure's shortcomings as part of a combiner, but not as an overpriced standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Optimist Prime posted:

I mean, I already knew what mold he was gonna be so it's not like I was expecting much.

In other news, that Calvin "Megatron" Johnson Megatron toy actually looks really cool and I don't even care about football or the Detroit Lions. He even comes with a little football!