Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This should be a lesson to anyone who supported companies that use asinine dongles on their products. Customer-hostile DRM is always a losing proposition for all sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I dunno, the last 7 years I've spent with no problems don't suddenly make me feel ripped off by my $50 iLok. I prefer it to remembering a login on 10 different websites or searching through my inbox for registration codes, and I use it for all my Plugin Alliance stuff even though I don't have to.

There is no such thing as friendly DRM. If you want to bang your head against a wall and swear off using software, try having a computer running Smaart 7 crash or get stolen (you have to call them and have one of their 3 employees clear that install from your account if you can't uninstall it correctly, a multiday process). Or deal with L'Acoustic's Soundvision and the dongle they tried to make themselves to cut iLok out of the loop (that barely fits in a USB slot and will brick itself if you have it plugged in while you install the drivers).

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
hahaha I love it!

Everything about this is great, especially the Slate backlash!

edit: except... if anyone here were murdered by deadlines, that definitely sucks

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I need to use mine this weekend, but it won't be plugged into a machine with internet access before or during. I agree the whole thing is a little fun to watch because unless you just bought an iLok or piece of software today, I'm not sure why you would be chomping at the bit to resync your iLok. I can't imagine a huge portion of its customers are actually unable to work on their stuff. I wonder how much money they'll have to refund to the people who pay for that Zero Downtime service upgrade.

I haven't been to their site since the last time I bought a plug-in so I have no idea what the new features or whatever were supposed to be.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Looks like its an application to migrate from their web based service. Like UAD I guess?

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Anyone try out the new e-phonic Drumatic 4 synth?

http://www.drumatic.info/

Interested in hearing some opinions as Drumatic 3 is one of my favorite softsynths.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tace Vim posted:

Anyone try out the new e-phonic Drumatic 4 synth?

http://www.drumatic.info/

Interested in hearing some opinions as Drumatic 3 is one of my favorite softsynths.
I've been checking out the demo version for fifteen minutes now.

Although I didn't see it mentioned on the website, the demo is fully featured but has random noisebursts. Just a heads up. For the amoral cheapasses among us, this means it's perfectly possible to synthesize some sounds and then sample them.

The biggest deal seems to be that just about every sound has access to a second noise generator with access to a bunch of different "noiseprints". My impression, mostly from the presets, is that this opens up possibilities in making more acoustic sounding sounds, oddly to the point that you can impose a room sound on them, almost obviating the need to use reverb on your drums (although so far the effect is a bit samey throughout presets, but there's plenty of room to tweak)! For electronic stuff, it doesn't mean so much on kicks, but it still improves hihats, claps and snares massively. Kicks are improved by the option to set start and end frequency independently and having two oscillators and a selection of initial transients.

Filters have been added and their (fixed) routing is a bit clearer. The oscillators have a bunch more waveforms to choose from. Keymapping is more flexible, but I don't care. Punch knob is expanded into an effects section with either crunch, drive or compression.

Added: Various parameters can be set to react to velocity. That's a pretty big one too.

There's a bunch of tiny changes I'm not mentioning; just check the demo yourself.

There's a downside too, and the main reason why it won't completely replace Drumatic 3 for me, namely: they got rid of the multi point envelopes. All envelopes, while you still can manipulate them by dragging them, have a fixed order of stages with fixed curves. As far as I'm concerned, this is a big mistake. I'm wrong about the fixed curves; you can pick different ones from a rightclick menu. I'd say that makes the loss of the mulitpoint envelopes slightly more acceptable.

Also, the one improvement they should have made, giving you even more accurate control over the pich modulation speed, they skipped. Due to the fact that this is now mapped to the same timescale of all the other envelopes, you still have to mess with a tiny tiny usable range for conventional sounds. This isn't a lot better, but neither is is a lot worse than it was.

The plugin also still starts up sending every sound to channel one. I understand this probably cuts down massively on confused support mails, but it annoys me.

Pricing I see now is €29 while in beta, €49 after that. This seems very reasonable for what you get, even at full price. For the money, I can only recommend it. It's very good and flexible and still fairly simple to operate, despite the added features. I'm just really sad that the main discerning feature of version 3, the multi point envelopes, didn't make it into this version.

I'm not aware of a lot of competition, taking into consideration the flexibility and depth for tweaking (please don't judge this plugin on its presets, however ok they may be), the clear interface and the usability of sounds in all the categories. Feel free to set me straight though.

You still shouldn't expect it to replace sampled (especially acoustic) drums, even with the noiseprints, but for electronic music I think it's great, more or less a must have. Although I did get by with the free version 3 and still could, obviously.

I like it, but that's just my short term opinion. I mean, you ask, but it's not that involved a process to try the demo for yourself. It's still just a dll you dump into your vst folder.

Thanks for informing me this exists, by the way. :tipshat:

Added: before I disappoint too many people: 64bit version is available, but it's all still Windows only.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2013

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Thanks for that Flipperwadlt - great writeup. I've already bought a copy and I'm gonna play around with it tonight. Gonna miss the multi point envelopes, but everything else seems to make up for it. The sound quality seems to have improved since Drumatic 3 too - clearer and fatter.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Looks like its an application to migrate from their web based service. Like UAD I guess?

Waves license manager is very similar as well.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
The Waves C4 compressor is on sale today for $69 USD (normally $250). Waves sent me a $50 coupon this morning too, and I was able to apply it to C4. Only cost me nineteen bucks. Can't beat that, man.

EDIT: If you didn't get a coupon code already, apparently you can sign up for one now: http://www.waves.com/lp/june13/sign-up.html?ref=ytann

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Not a bad deal!

I got the voucher as well but I've got no clue what to use it on. There's nothing I really want from them...

I bought Alchemy (Camel Audio) last night (Got a free library too, nice!)

The new patch browser is awesome! (Think Omnisphere with more options)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Not a bad deal!

I got the voucher as well but I've got no clue what to use it on. There's nothing I really want from them...

I bought Alchemy (Camel Audio) last night (Got a free library too, nice!)

The new patch browser is awesome! (Think Omnisphere with more options)

How is that by the way, and would you recommend it to someone who already has Reaktor 5 and the Razor plug-in for it?

I ask because that's probably the next (I would say last but yeah) vst synth I was looking to get.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I'd actually say it is the perfect compliment.

Due to its ability to manipulate samples, as well as its rather amazing parameter routing capabilities - it will add the type of organic sounds that Reaktor (and by extention Razor) simply can not do.
In addition to that, the way its laid out simply makes the most sense to me out of ANY synth. It transformed me from a preset flicker to a sound designer almost overnight! (Yeah I filez'd it for a long period)

Almost as critical to me as my main workhorse Diva. The filters on Alchemy arent BAD but not great either, though.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I'd actually say it is the perfect compliment.

Due to its ability to manipulate samples, as well as its rather amazing parameter routing capabilities - it will add the type of organic sounds that Reaktor (and by extention Razor) simply can not do.
In addition to that, the way its laid out simply makes the most sense to me out of ANY synth. It transformed me from a preset flicker to a sound designer almost overnight! (Yeah I filez'd it for a long period)
I actually kind of forgot I had it. I need to pencil in some time to learn Alchemy, because it certainly seems to have some potential.

My main interest in it was the thing where you can import a sample, and it creates a synth patch that synthesizes the sample.

Some demos I've seen make it seem Fairlight-like, which was always a childhood dream of mine, to own one of those things.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 27, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
The video tutorials on it are actually very good, and thorough.

I designed a fair few of the patches in this track - in particular that huge stab in the beginning and the similar one that leads into the main riff. Thats just after watching the tutorials and fiddling for max 1 hour!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm installing komplete 9 ultimate at the moment, and I love how it says

'please wait while we install...etc.. This may take several minutes'

Stock text or what - 3 1/2 hours later, it's still going. Up to session strings, I hope it's near the end because I need to go to bed...

edit: so far it's copied 199gb of it's 370. Holy poo poo. They need to start shipping out usb 3.0 drives :(

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 28, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Haha you actually bought Ultimate? You ballin man!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I designed a fair few of the patches in this track - in particular that huge stab in the beginning and the similar one that leads into the main riff. Thats just after watching the tutorials and fiddling for max 1 hour!
That track is dope. And kudos on goin' legit!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Haha you actually bought Ultimate? You ballin man!

Maschine crossgrade & selling off the NI synths I already owned basically took it down to $550...
Couple weeks after a backdated payrise and it's almost an obligation at that point. Never been so excited to get stuck into software before.

I also bought myself a brand new laptop & upgraded to ableton 9 to start fresh. No old files are being copied over - nothing but new tracks from here on out.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 29, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I finally realized that there's not really anything stopping me making music whenever I want anymore - I work from home, and I'm in front of a PC all day long - so I picked up a Scarlett 2i2 and Reaper, then looked around for what was initially just supposed to be some guitar processing plugins.

I picked up Komplete Elements, which gives me all the post guitar effects I need (it was a tossup between NI and IK Interactive, and IK's software validation decided to hang on the connecting screen forever), so now I'm wondering what to use my $30 voucher on. I'm leaning towards the Maschine drum selection, partly because it's cheap and partly because it'd give me some more live kits to play with as well as a bunch of drum machine-type sounds to layer on top. I'm also tempted by the Scarbee Rickenbacker, though - has anybody used either of these much? most of what I do is live band style to back guitar and vocals, so anything that would fit that would be neat (bass/piano/drums), especially if it comes in at under $100.

However - I do enjoy pretending I'm Erland Oye/in New Order as well, and I kinda wish I'd picked up Razor when it was half-price a few weeks ago - next time they do that I'm all over it. If there's a fun toy I've missed that will keep me entertained, that would be worth the cash too. Any suggestions before I get some boring but functional drums (the comfortable slippers of VST instruments)?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

I picked up Komplete Elements, which gives me all the post guitar effects I need (it was a tossup between NI and IK Interactive, and IK's software validation decided to hang on the connecting screen forever), so now I'm wondering what to use my $30 voucher on. I'm leaning towards the Maschine drum selection, partly because it's cheap and partly because it'd give me some more live kits to play with as well as a bunch of drum machine-type sounds to layer on top. I'm also tempted by the Scarbee Rickenbacker, though - has anybody used either of these much? most of what I do is live band style to back guitar and vocals, so anything that would fit that would be neat (bass/piano/drums), especially if it comes in at under $100.
I didn't know you could buy Komplete Elements as a retail product; I thought it was only an OEM pack-in, but there it is on their site!

I remember being pretty unimpressed with the Maschine Drum Selection thing, and I took a look at it again this morning when I saw your post. I've got Komplete 9 Ultimate installed and for currently unknown reasons, my install's only showing 5 kits for Drum Selection, and they are not that usable for the kind of stuff I do. But on NI's site it says the thing comes with 20 kits. (?!?!) I need to figure out why I'm only seeing 5. I think these kits are pulled straight from the Maschine library (rather than being new kits composed from Maschine's samples), so they only have 16 sounds each. Each kit instrument includes a pattern editor too, which may or may not be helpful to you. As it is now, I wouldn't pay for this thing; but I obviously haven't heard the 15 other kits it apparently is supposed to come with. Battery 4 has a solid modern library (mostly urban and EDM focused; not a lot of traditional or world music sounds in B4), but it's $199 retail like most of NI's standalone instruments.

I've used the Rickenbacker Bass on two recent projects, and I really like it. (The bass part in this song is Scarbee Rickenbacker; it comes in at the end of the 8th bar... the part's pretty low- might not be too audible on earbuds or computer speakers.) You definitely need to learn what the controls do in order to make it sound realistic, and if I remember right there are some things you can only do if you've got a sustain pedal (I happened to have one, and my MIDI controller has a pedal input)- although it's just CC64; you can manually input foot commands in automation lanes if you don't have a physical pedal. I watched a tutorial video on MacProVideo I think, and that got me most of the way there.

I'm using the Alicia's Keys Kontakt instrument in something I'm working on, and it's a drat nice-sounding piano. Also benefits from having a sustain pedal. And it's just a single piano Kontakt instrument. No experimental/cinematic stuff like with The Giant. I also really like the Modern Drummer and Studio drummer packages, which are both $99. In those cases you're only getting 2 or 3 kits each, but if you're doing more traditional music, these things have pretty impressive routing, mixing, and processing capabilities built-in, with groove libraries that have MIDI loops you can drag into your project to use as a seed for your own rhythm parts.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 1, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Radiapathy posted:

Awesome advice

Thanks so much - I might have a word with the NI support folks (though they aren't the best I've dealt with) to find out what the deal is with the drum selection, but I'm leaning closer and closer to the Rickenbacker. I also found the M-Audio Oxygen something or other for $99 with a free Korg KONTROL so I figure I can always make use of that as a sustain pedal (or steal the one from the kids keyboard, there's a plan) - and maybe I'll hold out on the drums until I feel like dropping a little more on one of those Abbey Road/Session Drummer packs.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Alicia's Keys

I use this more than any other piano sound, and maybe more than any other Kontakt instrument. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

I use this more than any other piano sound, and maybe more than any other Kontakt instrument. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

I'd heard some bad things about this so I'd put it in the 'nope' pile, but after the first 2 responses to my question were high praise I checked it out myself, and in the demos at least, it sounds great. I looked at some of their other pianos but I didn't notice much of an upgrade from the upright that comes with Elements - the penny-pincher in me thought that getting the Giant would be a better value because of the movie-like sounds, too, so again I wasn't considering it. I think the thing to do will be to take each for a test-drive when I have some time and swap them into some tracks I'm working on, see try and guess which fit in the best because it looks like NI only have a select few demos, (and hopefully not decide I need both immediately).

I guess that's an advantage of digital instruments I'd never considered before - you can upgrade your instruments later and (hopefully) improve a track without having to re-record. I've been using machines to write music for over 20 years now and that hadn't crossed my mind once. Thanks :3:

e: I thought NI offered all kinds of demos - but then again I can see how a 7GB demo might not be in their best interests.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what the complaints are, but the only drawback I can see is that it's fuckin' huge.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

I remember being pretty unimpressed with the Maschine Drum Selection thing, and I took a look at it again this morning when I saw your post. I've got Komplete 9 Ultimate installed and for currently unknown reasons, my install's only showing 5 kits for Drum Selection, and they are not that usable for the kind of stuff I do. But on NI's site it says the thing comes with 20 kits. (?!?!) I need to figure out why I'm only seeing 5.
I just hadn't had enough coffee yet, apparently. The kits are divided into 6 genre folders and my Kontakt browser was already inside one of the folders when I was looking at the kits yesterday. I do have the whole product, but I still find myself unimpressed. A lot of the standalone samples are nice (NI sounds are almost all very well-recorded/produced), but as kits they're just not that useful. Like one kit might have a great kick/snare combo but no open hat, or a bunch of sounds that aren't tuned to work together.

NI really figured out the kits thing in the Maschine expansion packs, but all the kits in this package are from the original factory library.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know if anyone is interested, but Sonivoxmi is having a 1/2 off sale right now on selected products including the Big Bang collection if you type in a code that's plastered on their front page during checkout.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Also, FXpansion is offering half price this month on all their expansion libraries, including DCAM Synth Squad, BFD, BFD2, etc.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

Limiter №6 is a quite amazing bit of kit. And its free! Watch the video. Gearslutz is already going nuts over it, I didnt get a chance to test it until today - it delivers.

edit: theres also a free compressor but havent sunk my teeth into that yet, may do so later and report back!

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 4, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Don't miss the (crazily) free TDR Feedback Compressor II.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Aalto is 50% off until July 30. This is an amazing price for an amazing synth. Go get it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://www.sinevibes.com/

Sinevibes plugs are 25% off the entire collection and 15% off each one. They're fun to mangle stuff with.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Has anybody used Image Line's Toxic Biohazard? It looks like a reasonably good FM synth and Musicians Friend is selling it for $30 in their August sale.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Never mind - none of these appear to be on sale on their site, but if you call you can pick up a few VST-type sequencers/FX/synths for $29.99 each

Artillery II
Unique
Thesys
Sawer
Toxic Biohazard
D-16 FXtra Bundle including Syntorus Chorus and Fazortan Phaser

No idea if these are any good - I like the sound of Toxic Biohazard so I'll be picking that one up for sure, maybe some others too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Unique really lives up to it's name, has a very 'human' quality to it and does really well for analogue style pads, leads and vocal/vowel sounds. Artillery 2 and a MIDI controller= hours of fun; If you like jamming stuff, you should get it for sure. Haven't tried the others, but I read some incredibly favorable reviews of Sawer in Future Music and Computer Music.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
There's probably a billion of these out there, but I've consigned myself to the fact that I don't have the setup to record my drumkit, so rather than try and cover for that limitation with fakish sounding sampled drumkit VSTis, I'd rather lean into the limitation and do something with it. So basically I'm after the fakest sounding synth drums u got. Maybe something a little similar to what's used on this album http://disasterpeace.com/album/rise-of-the-obsidian-interstellar but a little less...bloopy, if that makes any sense? I'm not looking to make video game music but I'm researching/figuring out going a lot more electronic.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cat doter posted:

There's probably a billion of these out there, but I've consigned myself to the fact that I don't have the setup to record my drumkit, so rather than try and cover for that limitation with fakish sounding sampled drumkit VSTis, I'd rather lean into the limitation and do something with it. So basically I'm after the fakest sounding synth drums u got. Maybe something a little similar to what's used on this album http://disasterpeace.com/album/rise-of-the-obsidian-interstellar but a little less...bloopy, if that makes any sense? I'm not looking to make video game music but I'm researching/figuring out going a lot more electronic.
CR-777, Tweakbench Toad, 8-bit Drums, a page that lists a bunch of soundchip emulation vsts you can ctrl-f for the word drum. Bitbox and DR-SID seem interesting there.

I have not used any of them, I've got to admit.

I like ProtoPSG, but that's not specifically geared towards drums. Drumatic 3 is also an essential drumsynth to me, for non-8-bit drum synthesis.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I grabbed ProtoPSG and Drumatic 3 but will have to wait until tomorrow to check them out since it's hella late. Even if ProtoPSG isn't specifically for drums, the more synths I have the better.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I recently discovered Tronsonic and think they make some very very cool Kontakt based synths. Not too expensive and very flexible, using samples for sound sources as part of a larger synth. See the system 1000m for example http://www.tronsonic.com/system1000m/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who still hasn't checked out TAL-NoiseMaker, it's the gnarliest VST I've ever come across. Combined with TAL-Bitcrusher it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread!

It has a huge potential for nasty, lo-fi "robots are destroying the world"-kind-of-sounds. It can still make quite pleasant Juno-type sounds as well, though!
It's completely free and has some really interesting features such as an envelope editor where you can draw you own envelopes (pen-tool style).