Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

The Nintendo 64 (known as Project Reality and the Nintendo Ultra 64 during development) was Nintendo's successor to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and precursor to the GameCube. It was launched in 1996 with two games, Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. It competed against Sony's PlayStation and Sega's Saturn, finishing second in sales. The last game released was a port of the PlayStation 1 version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, in 2002.

It was Nintendo's first console to feature fully textured 3D graphics, and last to use cartridges. It also had 4 built-in controller ports, and a memory expansion port.

The unique three-pronged controller was the first to have an analog stick, as well as the first to support rumble (via an accessory port). They were originally available in six different colours.

In 2000, the system itself was made available in six different transparent colours, known as the Funtastic series.

Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges instead of moving to optical discs was a gamble that didn't totally pay off. The benefits of near-instant loading, durability, and piracy prevention were offset by a high manufacturing cost and low capacity (although the system supported CD-quality audio and pre-rendered video, they were rarely used due to the lack of space), driving away third-party developers.

Although the lack of third-party support limited the number of games available, it was more than made up for by the sheer quality of the first and second party titles, several of which were groundbreaking and all-time classics.

Accessories

Controller Pak

Used to save certain games that didn't have an in-cartridge saving feature.

Rumble Pak

Vibrates during intense gameplay. Requires 2 AAA batteries. Was initially released as a bundle with Star Fox 64.

Expansion Pak

Fits into special port on top of console. Doubles amount of RAM from 4MB to 8MB, enabling enhanced features in some games. A few games need it in order to function.

Transfer Pak

Used to transfer data from certain Game Boy titles to their N64 counterparts. Best utilized by Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, which allow you to play handheld Pokémon games on your TV set.

Gameshark

A third-party accessory made by Interact. Enables the user to enter in special codes to hack games and do all kinds of neat stuff. The Pro model has a parallel port on the back in order for a PC to be hooked up and longer codes entered. Most famously used to prove the existence of a rumoured test stage known as Citadel in Goldeneye.

Nintendo 64 Disk Drive

Only released in Japan. Plugged into an expansion port underneath the console (the only accessory to ever use the port), it enables the use of special game cartridges containing magnetic disks. It didn't sell very well.

Now to highlight some of the console's most beloved and innovative games...

Super Mario 64 was the first 3D Mario game, and the N64's best selling game.

Mario Kart 64 is the sequel to Super Mario Kart on the SNES. It features 4 player multiplayer, "ghost" data, a variety of weapons, and a highly memorable battle mode.

Wave Race 64's water physics were the bee's knees at the time. Combined with bright visuals and cool music, this was the clear winner when it came to virtual jet-skiing.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire had the most accurate representation of the Battle of Hoth at the time. The other levels were hit-and-miss, but a good mix of difficulty, lots of replay value via the challenge points, and a great Star Wars atmosphere made for a very solid title.

Blast Corps, Rareware's first all-new game on the system, is a unique and fast-paced puzzler with destruction, destruction, destruction around every corner! Command different vehicles in an attempt to clear a safe path for a runaway nuclear transport! Although the plot conveys a sense of great danger, Graeme Norgate's funky soundtrack assists in lightening the mood.

Star Fox 64 is a remake of the original Star Fox on the SNES. Swiftly guide the Arwing, Landmaster tank, and Blue Marine submarine through winding levels with branching paths during your mission to destroy the forces of the mad scientist Andross. Features the 360° all-range mode, training, and 4 player multiplayer.

GoldenEye is a first-person shooter based on the 1995 James Bond movie of the same name. Developed by Rareware, it was hugely successful and paved the way for FPSes on consoles. Of special note is the multiplayer mode - although it was tacked on in the final stages of development, it was easily the most popular feature, and became ingrained in the gamer consciousness.

Diddy Kong Racing is Rareware's take on kart racing. Pilot a car, plane, and hovercraft through a varied overworld, numerous race tracks, and four boss races on your way to win the golden balloons and defeat the mighty Wizpig.

1080° Snowboarding from Nintendo - tight controls, beautiful backdrops, and tons of replay value courtesy of a killer 2-player mode and hidden characters - radical, dude! :hfive:

Banjo-Kazooie - an all-around charming platformer in the vein of Super Mario 64. Travel through massive worlds collecting Jiggies, Notes, and Jinjos in a quest to rescue Banjo's sister from the nefarious rhyming witch Gruntilda. Memorable characters, even more memorable music, plenty of secrets, and a great sense of adventure make this one an absolute classic!

F-Zero X is the sequel to F-Zero on the SNES. Race at BLINDING speeds in a pack of 30 cars on twisting other-worldly tracks to the searing rock guitar riffs of Taro Bando. It's got thrills, chills, and spills, all backed up with plenty of boost power! :rock:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the first 3D entry in the Zelda series, and is considered to be one of the best video games ever. Guide Link and his fairy companion Navi though a massive, varied, and beautiful world on a quest to rid Hyrule of Ganondorf's evil power. Solve puzzles and defeat massive bosses in eight dungeons, search far and wide for Gold Skulltulas and Heart Pieces, and finish sidequests and trading games to obtain special items, all backed by Koji Kondo's magnificent soundtrack.

Super Smash Bros. is the first entry in the hugely popular all-star fighting series. Battle up to four Nintendo mascots against each other on various Nintendo-themed stages. Stage hazards and items (both offensive and defensive) also make appearances.

Prepare yourself for a SMASHING good time!

Star Wars: Episode I Racer is based on the podracing sequence seen in the first Star Wars prequel. It's got great graphics, lots of variety, and tons of challenge. The movie might've been boring, but this game certainly isn't! ;)

Pokémon Snap - you take pictures of Pokémon, and it's fun as heck! Also, back in the day, you could take your cartridge down to your local Blockbuster Video store, & print out the pictures you had taken.

Donkey Kong 64 is the first 3D Donkey Kong adventure, and the first game on the Nintendo 64 to require the Expansion Pak (as it turns out, only because of a bug). It's got massive worlds, great graphics, and tons of minigames. However, the game is replete with tedious collecting and backtracking.

Harvest Moon 64 is a charming RPG about running a farm, making friends, and building a family. The visuals are pretty simple, and the translation isn't perfect, but the gameplay and atmosphere are solid.

Perfect Dark is Rareware's spiritual sequel to GoldenEye. It requires the Expansion Pak to access the single player mode (you can still access 2-player multiplayer without it). PD shares many gameplay elements with GE, but beats the pants off of it with an INSANE amount of content, including 30+ weapons (with dual functions), co-op and counter-op campaign modes, up to 8 "simulants" (bots), and an endlessly flexible multiplayer mode that has yet to be surpassed to this day. :cool:

A shame that the framerate is piss-poor...

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. While searching for his lost friend, Link falls into the alternate universe of Termina, wherein the Skull Kid, under the spell of an ancient mask, has put the moon on a collision course with the planet. Within the span of three days, Link must find a way to defeat the Skull Kid and prevent total annihilation. This is made easier through a unique time travel system which allows Link to rewind to the start of the three day cycle as many times as needed, while still retaining any key items that he may have found. Many Zelda fans consider MM to be the pinnacle of the series, even ahead of the mighty OoT.

Hey You, Pikachu! is the only N64 game released in North America to utilize the Voice Recognition Unit (bundled with the game). It plugs into controller port 4, and from there a microphone is attached to the top of the controller. The game is very simple. You spend the day with Pikachu, giving it voice commands for various tasks. The system is finicky - you usually have to state your command several different ways before it's accepted, making the game more difficult than it should be.

Paper Mario is a follow-up of sorts to Super Mario RPG on the SNES. The biggest difference is in the styling - the overall presentation is like a storybook, and all of the characters are flat, hence the title. It's a pretty long game, with tons of secrets. The battle mechanics are an element of note - badges that you collect determine your abilites. Powerful badges take up more Badge Points, so you'll want to rank up quick to use the best ones.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is FILTH! Good gameplay, fantastic graphics, great humour, and killer (literally) multiplayer...but still FILTH!!! :twisted:

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuuTBlEb1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMD4XudxoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV03unedr9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2jbIWMEviA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZqp91hfAQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sG5YwPtetk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW9WHjictHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRG6rLzWpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCgLK2KxI9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=507f4oqRft4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3VXOAbOyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3_bpw90rFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWD3wO7Zzbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0krxH0dWhU

Links

Nintendo 64 Forever forums
GoldenEye Forever
FamilyJules7X
Zelda Chaos

EDIT: Here's a great YT playlist. Although it uses some ports/remakes/alternate music, it shows off some of the system's coolest games! :cool:

EDIT 2: I stumbled across some *great* N64 tributes from back in the day...

Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Shadows of the Empire
Mario Kart 64
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwjpUpO0vA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgfxro8-iGw

Check out post #439! :cheers:

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah good memories of the N64. :unsmith: I still have mines with Mario Kart, SM64, OOT and Perfect Dark. I could never replace the thing. I still have my transparent purple controller too.

edit: Very nice OP BTW.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Wow, looks great, when is this coming out???

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
No mention for Rare's forgotten classic Jet Force Gemini

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Boo hiss. Heckle! After being a rabid Nintendo fanboy throughout the Sega vs Nintendo wars, this generation was the one that made me fall out of love with Nintendo. The SNES had all of the games. ALL OF THEM. Suddenly, the very next generation saw me bemoaning the lack of games for my console as the PS was getting all of the JRPGs that I was used to Nintendo having, plus about 80% of all other games on the market. Mario 64 and Zelda and all the other first party titles were great, but after being on the side that had all of the games through the NES and SNES generations, it was really a kick in the pants to see that so rapidly reversed. The straw that broke the camel's back was FF7. There were already lots of other good games out for the PS at that juncture of pretty much every genre and style. Meanwhile I was trapped in N64land with few games and a bunch of kiddy rear end poo poo. Not that there's anything wrong with all-ages games, it just sucks when that's all you have as third party developers with other great types of games were all jumping ship.

FF7 was amazing and a huge eye-opener to what I'd been missing out on. It would have been both technically and stylistically impossible to pull off on the N64 and it showed. I jumped ship and never looked back until late in the Gamecube generation, and even then only to play on friends' systems. Though I now own a Wii and am current on all the new Zelda games, in each subsequent generation Nintendo has continued to pigeonhole itself in the way the N64 generation pioneered. It's obviously worked for them since they're still in business, but it makes an ONF (Orginal Nintendo Fanboy, obviously) pine for the NES and SNES days when all sorts of different kinds of games were flying out like crazy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The N64 features probably my favorite game of all time: Ogre Battle 64. I rented that one from Blockbuster not knowing anything about it and ended up re-renting it so often that I could probably have bought three copies of it for the money I spent. I eventually did buy a copy of it too. What a great game.

A lot of love also goes to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Mischief Makers, two games a friend of mine owned that I probably played more than he ever did. Talk about some great single-player titles! Turok had crazy, overpowered guns that put the Unreal Tournament weapons to absolute shame, and Mischief Makers was a bizarre platformer unlike anything I've played since.

Finally between Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye, I did an unbelievable amount of loving around in multiplayer modes. Block Fort will always have a spot in my heart, my sister and I would spend a half hour setting up our forts with traps and flooding the pit with green shells, then bum-rushing each other through banana walls and fake ?block roadblocks. With Goldeneye we'd always end up recreating the movies or playing hide-and-seek or almost anything that didn't involve shooting, although we'd also do a lot of shooting too.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 30, 2013

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Never forget.

Nothing will ever top going to a friends house, taking turns making characters, then running through different PPV events til morning high on mountain dew.

Also Perfect Dark was the best shooter on the console market, til Halo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was actually thinking about the N64 the other day when I cleaned out the basement. I loved it as a kid but all I can think about now is how the hell I ever thought those weird controller shapes were comfortable. I tried holding one and it felt utterly bizzare compared to a normal controller. I'm not even sure what the proper way to hold it is anymore!

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

bushisms.txt posted:

Never forget.

Nothing will ever top going to a friends house, taking turns making characters, then running through different PPV events til morning high on mountain dew.

Also Perfect Dark was the best shooter on the console market, til Halo.

Good lord. I didn't even like wrestling and these games were so much damned fun it should have been illegal.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nathilus posted:

FF7 was amazing and a huge eye-opener to what I'd been missing out on. It would have been both technically and stylistically impossible to pull off on the N64 and it showed. I jumped ship and never looked back until late in the Gamecube generation, and even then only to play on friends' systems. Though I now own a Wii and am current on all the new Zelda games, in each subsequent generation Nintendo has continued to pigeonhole itself in the way the N64 generation pioneered. It's obviously worked for them since they're still in business, but it makes an ONF (Orginal Nintendo Fanboy, obviously) pine for the NES and SNES days when all sorts of different kinds of games were flying out like crazy.

The N64 was definitely the start of their downfall as a console manufacturer, but they were still at the top of their game in the software department. The transition to 3D brought out a lot of innovation in them that I just don't see in their more recent output.

If there was any generation where you absolutely had to have more than one console, this was it. The PS1 was a completely different beast, and the big influential titles were pretty evenly split across the two consoles.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I was in love with Conker's Bad Fur Day when I was younger, especially the Multiplayer. It had so many varied multiplayer modes. There was the standard Goldeneye type deathmatch (with an amazing selection of characters), there was Raptors vs Cavemen, there was the mode where you played as unarmed squirrel refugees rushing from the beach to escape as Tediz shot at you with mounted guns, and there was a capture the flag type bank heist mode where you played as different colored weasels. I devoted so much time to all those multiplayer modes.

To have all that taken out in the XBox version and replaced with a single boring class based multiplayer mode was terrible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how many of you played Glover? I remember playing that game a ton but never beating it because a save game glitch kept deleting my progress. I think it was a pretty fun game, certainly one that I spent a ton of time on. None of my friends had it though and it seems mostly forgotten.

The obnoxious music from the second world is permanently burned into my brain from replaying it so much.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Came here hoping to see mentions of Jet Force Gemini and WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and real glad to see you guys didn't disappoint on calling out those omissions.

Also Turok 2 had the greatest selection of weapons I've ever seen in a video game. Shame about the fog.

*edit* poo poo just realized how batshit crazy Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon was too.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

You listed all those games and forgot the best one :colbert:

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

J-Spot posted:

If there was any generation where you absolutely had to have more than one console, this was it. The PS1 was a completely different beast, and the big influential titles were pretty evenly split across the two consoles.

Yup. This was the only generation I ever had more than one console.

Coincidentally I revisited DKR on an emulator a few nights ago. When it first came out I could never beat TT on one of the space stages. It seemed like no matter how perfect my race was he would still stomp me. Years later I discovered that you're supposed to let go of the gas when you hit boosts and stay off it. The game doesn't tell you that part and there's no really any visual cue I can discern that would suggest you need to do that. Anyways, between knowing that and not having a crappy N64 analog stick* I completely crushed the game. First tried every single coin challenge. Beat all the TT times in about 2 hours. Take that, game.

*I've always liked the shape of the controller, I just hate the analog stick itself.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bushisms.txt posted:

Never forget.

I still play these games with my brothers and best friend whenever we hang out on random drunken weekends. They never stopped being fun. It always seemed like newer wrestling games had controls that were too complex for their own good, or other nagging issues that just made them not fun overall.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Wrestling games aren't really my thing, but I loved the customization found in WWF War Zone and its sequel WWF Attitude.

I think only The Elder Scrolls has better create-a-character, maybe.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Nintendo 64 will always have a special place in my heart for being the home of the first Mario Party - so many blisters on my palms.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

How do you add Star Wars Pod Racing (admittedly a really fun game) and leave out Rogue Squadron?!?

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Wrestling games aren't really my thing, but I loved the customization found in WWF War Zone and its sequel WWF Attitude.

Both pale in comparison to WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy. poo poo was ridiculous.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 30, 2013

Monk E
May 19, 2009

I still find myself missing this game to this day, also its nice to know I'm not the only person who enjoyed pokemon snap.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Synthetic Hermit posted:

You should really give those n64 games a try then. AKI corporation was probably one of the best developers in terms of wrestling games. Anything today pales in comparison to what they made.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Nintendo 64 Disk Drive

Only released in Japan. Plugged into an expansion port underneath the console (the only accessory to ever use the port), it enables the use of special game cartridges containing magnetic disks. It didn't sell very well.

Ooooh the N64DD...

I remember Nintendo Power having an article about some of the games for it and being really hyped for Mario Artist. So much that I traded in my copy of Mario Paint towards another game because I thought "Hey, the N64 version's gonna come out and it's so much better then SNES one. I won't miss it!" :(

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Brillo_Pad posted:

Nintendo 64 will always have a special place in my heart for being the home of the first Mario Party - so many blisters on my palms.

I have never seen so many controllers destroyed over one game before.

Nintendo truly does understand local co-op, I just hope one day they can find a way to translate that love to the online space.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Hell loving yes. I still have my n64 in the corner of my entertainment center. Jet Force Gemini. Ogre Battle 64. Rampage Universal Tour. And the golden cartridge of Majora's Mask. I still turn it on now and then to this day.

The thing was my childhood in it's entirety. Still have a lot of love for the few games it had.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, it's amazing that the N64 was able to do the things that it did from a technical standpoint. Reading about the hacks that the Rogue Squadron and Conker's Bad Fur Day devs did to get around the system's piddling textures is mind-blowing; look at Mario 64 compared to the systems last games and it's like night and day. It's still blurry as poo poo but considering the tiny cartridge sizes and weird hardware bottlenecks it's still incredible.

The fact that Star Fox 64 managed to have full voice acting on a 10 MB rom :aaa:

That said, the N64 was by and large the system that broke my life-long Nintendo fanboyism. In retrospect there were a lot of important and influencial games, but at the time (especially during the latter days of the console) it was a drip-feed of one or two decent Nintendo and Rare titles a year and almost nothing else; Nintendo Power during the summer of the early 00s was only a few dozen pages and they were stuck covering lovely GBC kart racing games because there was literally nothing else for them to talk about. It was even worse if you were an RPG fan, where you went from the SNES being a golden age to having Paper Mario and...Quest 64? loving Aidyn Chronicles, a game with a draw distance of about 3 feet and which was so broken and unfinished that you couldn't even revive characters who died in combat? Meanwhile your buddies were rocking a Final Fantasy every other year and tons of cool weird JRPGs and you could only hope that Earthbound 64 would actually get released one day (it didn't).

Really, if you wanted anything other than platformers, racing games, and janky console shooters you were SOL with the N64.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

You listed all those games and forgot the best one :colbert:

:hfive: I love that game so much. The sword and spark combo is simply amazing. :allears:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ZTeamIsDead posted:

:hfive: I love that game so much. The sword and spark combo is simply amazing. :allears:

Strangely, what I remember most about it is the boss music and the multiplayer mode that involved loving the other players over in ways that'd make Mario Party proud.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Monk E posted:

its nice to know I'm not the only person who enjoyed pokemon snap.

Every person loved pokemon snap. I say this because personhood is revoked for anyone who does not want to throw apple shaped food at a dumb animal to see its dumb secrets.

Also the best racing game has not been mentioned yet.

It's like the first rush, but with stunt mode where you can do one million flips in the air after you glitch off a random geometric object.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Drakenel posted:

And the golden cartridge of Majora's Mask.
Weren't all Majora's Mask cartridges golden? Ocarina of Time was the one with the limited edition gold cart (in the US, that is -- here in Europe we only got the grey cart version).

I pretty much grew up with the N64 (so many years spent playing Goldeneye multiplayer), and nowadays it's my main retro console because of that nostalgia. I own three N64s -- my original PAL console bought in March 1997 which still works like a champ; an NUS-001(FRA) model that has been modded to output RGB video (basically, in PAL-land only these early French NUS-001 models were even capable of supporting RGB, the other PAL models just had composite and maybe S-video) for the best picture quality; and a transparent purple NTSC-US system that I got when I decided I didn't want to play some of these games in PAL-50 mode with slowdown and black borders all over the screen.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Authorman posted:

Every person loved pokemon snap. I say this because personhood is revoked for anyone who does not want to throw apple shaped food at a dumb animal to see its dumb secrets.

Also the best racing game has not been mentioned yet.

It's like the first rush, but with stunt mode where you can do one million flips in the air after you glitch off a random geometric object.

This isn't Beetle adventure racing :colbert:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Weren't all Majora's Mask cartridges golden? Ocarina of Time was the one with the limited edition gold cart (in the US, that is -- here in Europe we only got the grey cart version).

Very may well be, I was just being descriptive is all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You could tell the limited edition Majora's Mask carts by the holographic sticker, which I got from Best Buy a week before the release date because my dad signed up for Juno 56k in October 2000. :smug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was even worse if you were an RPG fan, where you went from the SNES being a golden age to having Paper Mario and...Quest 64?

I loving loved Quest 64 and I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say the same. A friend of mine offered to sell it to me for like 10 bucks but I was 12 and didn't have any money so welp. I still regret it, I should ask him if he still has the cart next time I see him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Drakenel posted:

Very may well be, I was just being descriptive is all.
Ah, whoops, I can't read. :downs: I should have been in bed several hours ago.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You could tell the limited edition Majora's Mask carts by the holographic sticker, which I got from Best Buy a week before the release date because my dad signed up for Juno 56k in October 2000. :smug:
I think we just had the gold carts with the regular sticker in Europe. Might be wrong about that, though, I never was a huge fan of MM even though it's obviously a great game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
As much as I loved Perfect Dark's multiplayer, it didn't make up for the TERRIBLE loving 3 prong controller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nice timing on the thread, I've been playing through some N64 games lately. Most recently I hopped back into Super Mario 64, and it's aged incredibly well. It's amazing how, for a system marked by clunky, crappy early attempts at 3d, the very first game made for it was one of the absolute best. The graphics are a bit rough around the edges and the camera can be annoying, but aside from that it controls very well, the level design is engaging, and it features some of the most memorable tunes in the very large Mario Music canon. I don't know if Nintendo or its fans appreciate how lucky they are to have such a high quality flagship launch title.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't mind the layout of the N64 controller so much as I mind that those sticks were not made to last. All of mine are loose and jiggle around on their own accord now, even though I haven't used them much.

Tender Bender posted:

Nice timing on the thread, I've been playing through some N64 games lately. Most recently I hopped back into Super Mario 64, and it's aged incredibly well. It's amazing how, for a system marked by clunky, crappy early attempts at 3d, the very first game made for it was one of the absolute best. The graphics are a bit rough around the edges and the camera can be annoying, but aside from that it controls very well, the level design is engaging, and it features some of the most memorable tunes in the very large Mario Music canon. I don't know if Nintendo or its fans appreciate how lucky they are to have such a high quality flagship launch title.

The game is still fun, but it looks like utter garbage these days. Banjo-Kazooie's art design really stood the test of time much better. Everything in Mario 64 just seems so plain and featureless, especially once you get towards the mid-endgame.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 30, 2013

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
It's so weird looking back that it was pretty much exclusively 3D games. I can't think of any 2D N64 games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

It's so weird looking back that it was pretty much exclusively 3D games. I can't think of any 2D N64 games.

It had Mischief Makers. A fantastic platformer from the makers of Gunstar Heroes that nobody else loves but me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Edit: ^^Beaten.

As for games I owned, I submit Cruis'n USA, which probably has the best/worst theme song I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWUmP-9plk

• Locked thread