Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yes, so, up to a point you can change the needle and it will change the gauge. If your initial gauge is WAY off though, you might just be using the wrong yarn. Like, you're never going to get a laceweight yarn to work with a pattern that calls for bulky yarn because even if you could get it to knit to three stitches to the inch by using broomsticks with the ends filed down, your sweater will have huge holes in it. And you're probably not going to like knitting socks out of superbulky yarn, no matter how small a needle you knit them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Yes, so, up to a point you can change the needle and it will change the gauge. If your initial gauge is WAY off though, you might just be using the wrong yarn. Like, you're never going to get a laceweight yarn to work with a pattern that calls for bulky yarn because even if you could get it to knit to three stitches to the inch by using broomsticks with the ends filed down, your sweater will have huge holes in it. And you're probably not going to like knitting socks out of superbulky yarn, no matter how small a needle you knit them on.

Yeah- the pattern called for a 10.5 size needle and yarn, but I tried it on 8s, and now on 10s. I have a set of 11s I could try! :negative:

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
The needle size is a recommendation, the yarn weight is a firm recommendation, and the gauge is law, especially the horizontal gauge (you can correct for vertical gauge by knitting more or fewer rows in many cases). I always have to go down at least two needle sizes to get the prescribed gauge because I knit very loose.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Vulvarine posted:

The needle size is a recommendation, the yarn weight is a firm recommendation, and the gauge is law, especially the horizontal gauge (you can correct for vertical gauge by knitting more or fewer rows in many cases). I always have to go down at least two needle sizes to get the prescribed gauge because I knit very loose.

Its just driving me nuts because I found that a bunch of people on ravelry did the same pattern in much smaller yarn, but no corrections or explanations are ever offered.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They could've wanted a smaller item (if they sized down the needles too) or a less dense fabric (using the same needles) or they might have a weird gauge or maybe the yarn they used doesn't work up the way the manufacturer claims. Or maybe they're clueless! Unless they have good project notes, you're not going to know why, sorry.

I don't think it's a great idea for total beginners to mess with substitutions willy-nilly. You don't have to be super advanced to do it, you just need to know what you're doing. When I first started, I thought you could use any yarn with any needles and voilą!!! Not exactly.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

They could've wanted a smaller item (if they sized down the needles too) or a less dense fabric (using the same needles) or they might have a weird gauge or maybe the yarn they used doesn't work up the way the manufacturer claims. Or maybe they're clueless! Unless they have good project notes, you're not going to know why, sorry.

I don't think it's a great idea for total beginners to mess with substitutions willy-nilly. You don't have to be super advanced to do it, you just need to know what you're doing. When I first started, I thought you could use any yarn with any needles and voilą!!! Not exactly.

I guess with scarves you can get away with it (depending on some factors) because as long as you have an idea of what size you want the final project to be, then you can scale it. Maybe not so much with hats. Honestly, I could probably just find another pattern for a worked flat rib hat using that size yarn- its probably out there.

EDIT:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ribbed-hat-60814ad

Uses similarly sized yarn and needles (and the 8s are what were recommended for the yarn I have) so maybe I'll swatch for this pattern and use the color chart from the one I was doing before.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 27, 2013

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I've heard of people going down in gauge and just following the directions for the larger size to make up the difference. I haven't tried it myself.

Of course, in that case you'd need more yardage too.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

I've heard of people going down in gauge and just following the directions for the larger size to make up the difference. I haven't tried it myself.

Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off trying one of these other patterns- the thing that matters most to me is the sizing, so I'll swatch it using the other guidelines and then do the color work according to the new pattern. Should be less of a pain in the rear end although I am technically cheating.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Make sure to swatch using color work. Colorwork has a different gauge than just working a stockinette swatch.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

This swatching and gauge guide on Knitty really helped me when I first started to make baby sweaters. Then it got me starting to examine my gauge more often and how I knit since I want to start working adult size sweaters. I don't want to get most of the way through a sweater only to find out it's way too big or way too small. I found out I knit tighter than most gauges so I usually have to go up in needle size which is annoying since I like tight, neat, dense fabric (which is why I tend to knit tightly to begin with I think).

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATswatchout.html

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

I do this sometimes when I knit baby stuff.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I've got a stupid question that is only half related to knitting. So, I've got my first "big" knitting project (as in, not just the washclothes and dishes that I've been doing) due to be finished in another day or two, and I am planning on posting pics. But, I can't figure out how you guys are posting multiple pics on a single post or multiple pics with text between them? Whenever I try to attach a file, it will only let me do one attachment per post. Can someone explain how to do this?

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

laertes22 posted:

I've got a stupid question that is only half related to knitting. So, I've got my first "big" knitting project (as in, not just the washclothes and dishes that I've been doing) due to be finished in another day or two, and I am planning on posting pics. But, I can't figure out how you guys are posting multiple pics on a single post or multiple pics with text between them? Whenever I try to attach a file, it will only let me do one attachment per post. Can someone explain how to do this?

Throw 'em up on imgur.com instead, then link with img tags. So [*img]your-url-here.com[/*img], minus the asterisks. I'm excited to see your work!

EDIT: You can also use [*timg] [/*timg] if your images are huge, to thumbnail them.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
What's all your preferences for blocking hats? I am finally blocking a slouchy-ish hat, and I read somewhere that you can wrap it around a bowl to get a good round shape. However, I stretch out the brim if I do that, and every drat slouchy hat I've ever owned just falls off my head because the brim is just too loose. In hindsight, I should have just knit the brim with a smaller needle. :( Can I shrink the brim at all through blocking with another item?

Last night, I blocked it by wrapping a towel into a roll & folding it in half, and then putting the hat on one end of the roll, but then the end was kinda lumpy so it didn't look even. And then the brim just kinda hung down & it seems like it's stretched out.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ackapoo posted:

What's all your preferences for blocking hats? I am finally blocking a slouchy-ish hat, and I read somewhere that you can wrap it around a bowl to get a good round shape. However, I stretch out the brim if I do that, and every drat slouchy hat I've ever owned just falls off my head because the brim is just too loose. In hindsight, I should have just knit the brim with a smaller needle. :( Can I shrink the brim at all through blocking with another item?

Last night, I blocked it by wrapping a towel into a roll & folding it in half, and then putting the hat on one end of the roll, but then the end was kinda lumpy so it didn't look even. And then the brim just kinda hung down & it seems like it's stretched out.

I always assumed that's what those foam heads at craft stores were for.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

when it's a beret or similiar, I find a plate that will stretch the hat part, and tie cotton through the top of the brim before drawing it closed, like a draw string bag.

For other hats, I use a balloon--fill it with some air, put the hat on. The balloon curves, so that lets the brim not over stretch.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
You can intentionally felt the brim of your hat a little so it won't stretch as much. This works better with natural fibers like wool than it would with something with less grab like acrylic. I just scrubbed the brim when I handwashed it. This technique also works pretty well with socks that are a bit too stretchy at the ankle.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
I also wanted to make a comment regarding swatching.

I tend to work an approximately 6" square swatch instead of a 4". Those end stitches can be off gauge, and throw it off by as much as a stitch or more. When you are knitting a sweater for a plus sized girl such as myself, measuring those edge stitches can make the difference between a good fit and one that is either too small or too large. I measure the center 4" to get as close to what the main body of the knitting gauge will be without interference of the surrounding inch of stitches that may or may not be to natural gauge.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

jota23 posted:

Make sure to swatch using color work. Colorwork has a different gauge than just working a stockinette swatch.

The first pattern didn't suggest doing the colorwork as part of the swtach- it also called for a ribbed swatch. The other patterns I'm looking at call for stockinette. The good news is I'm probably pretty close to where I need to be.

I hate gauge already.

KObot
Mar 11, 2008
I have a real problem with starting big projects and never finishing them. I figured maybe joining a group would help keep me interested but I really don't know where to start looking for one in my area. I absolutely love knitting and learning new techniques, I guess what I'm asking is how do you keep yourself focused/not get too overwhelmed with a project before you finish?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Speaking of gauge, I just completed a set of lace socks that I made some major adjustments to because I used a much thicker yarn than in the pattern. It was a major confidence boost, I've never dared deviate from the pattern before :)

I have another pair of socks in a wool/acrylic mix that turned out too big, though. Is there any safe way of shrinking them a bit or should I give them to someone else?

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

FelicityGS posted:

For other hats, I use a balloon--fill it with some air, put the hat on. The balloon curves, so that lets the brim not over stretch.

This is a small, dumb thing but MAKE SURE the person you're knitting hats for isn't allergic to latex! I have a really bad latex allergy and a friend of mine blocked her hats this way. I literally have a gross scar on the back of my head because of this, haha. She knew I was allergic to latex but didn't think about it-- either way, it's reaaaally important to keep this in mind if you're knitting for people who aren't you!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

This is a small, dumb thing but MAKE SURE the person you're knitting hats for isn't allergic to latex! I have a really bad latex allergy and a friend of mine blocked her hats this way. I literally have a gross scar on the back of my head because of this, haha. She knew I was allergic to latex but didn't think about it-- either way, it's reaaaally important to keep this in mind if you're knitting for people who aren't you!

Yeah, this. I didn't think to mention that. I buy latex free everything anyway because I've got a mild latex allergy, but definitely keep this in mind.

ETA:

KObot posted:

I have a real problem with starting big projects and never finishing them. I figured maybe joining a group would help keep me interested but I really don't know where to start looking for one in my area. I absolutely love knitting and learning new techniques, I guess what I'm asking is how do you keep yourself focused/not get too overwhelmed with a project before you finish?

I have about 8 - 9 projects on the go at all times. I keep some small things I can knit when I am too tired to process, and then my larger projects. I go through spurts with my larger projects where I really want to work on them, and then suddenly want something entirely different. All of my large projects tend to be different styles--a complicated lace shawl, a less complicated one from a different style of lace, a bulky sweater, really complicated socks. That way if I want big, I have big, I want lace I have lace, and so on.

It means I'm really slow finishing, but I also don't angst much about whether I'll finish or not. I will, eventually, I just need to rotate out sometimes if I get bored or I will actually stop knitting entirely to avoid it. Project monogamy kills my desire to knit.

felgs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 28, 2013

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

So, this is my first attempt at a "big" project ("big" for me, meaning anything more complicated than a wash cloth). I made a set of matching hats for the Fiancee and myself. I used the basic rib stitch for the band/brim and costa inglese stitch (AKA fisherman's stitch?) for the rest (this was advanced for me). I knit them on straight needles and then joined the ends with a seam.

The bigger one is hers, as she sports an afro, and I shave my head.

Yours truly's ugly mug rocking the hat.

Still full of mistakes, but I guess I'm making progress. :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Hat blocking: I steal a ball from my son and put the hat on it and balance the ball on a cup or bowl. Like this:

He's got that red one that's the perfect size for an adult hat and a smaller yellow one that works out well for toddler/small child hats.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I really want to make my own headform. I saw instructions once, something like wrap your head in plastic wrap, wrap THAT in packing tape. Cut a slit up the back, tape that back up, then fill the thing with expanding foam.

Anyway, finished a baby blanket for a friend. Before the baby was born!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fooley posted:

I really want to make my own headform. I saw instructions once, something like wrap your head in plastic wrap, wrap THAT in packing tape. Cut a slit up the back, tape that back up, then fill the thing with expanding foam.

I've seen this done over a tshirt to make a dress form, but I'm pretty sure trying to do this for a head form would invent a new patchy punk haircut- "the cheap knitter"

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
All of your blocking suggestions are awesome. The hat I blocked is mainly for me, but I do have a few other hats that I have held off on blocking. I don't have any balloons (or balls) on hand, but I may try for a foam head of sorts. I'l also try to scour my kitchen for a bowl or plate that will work. Not that I don't think I'll have this problem, but any dye that's bleeding out won't stain porcelain, will it?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It should not.

Just light coloured yarn if you're unlucky :saddowns:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I can't decide what to knit next. I wanted to knit a sweater for my son to wear at daycare under his snowsuit but he sort of already has 4 wool sweaters I knitted last winter that still fit. And two pairs of wool pants, haha. Maybe I should make something for myself for once.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

laertes22 posted:

Yours truly's ugly mug rocking the hat.

Still full of mistakes, but I guess I'm making progress. :)

This is the best, they look awesome! Be proud of yourself! Knitted hats are so dang nice in fall and winter (if you live somewhere it gets cold) and I end up knocking out a couple every year even though my husband and I both already have favorites.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah, those hats look great. If I have enough of this Cascade 220 left over after I finish my scarf, I'll have to make a hat to go with it.

The scarf in question, 16 repeats in:

And Fritz, the adorable little jerk who won't sit still and let me take a picture because he wants to snuggle:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Has anyone ever used these: http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-82309-Crafters-Comfort-Glove-Medium/dp/B002Y2GY7U/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_3 for hand pain while knitting? I do a lot of fine motor work at work, and I find when I knit, my right hand (dominant) gets really sore and cramped. Do they work?

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I've used something similar and it helps along with breaks to stretch/move the joints. Just make sure you're not over doing things and causing even more problems or making existing problems worse cuz you want to push through!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Assuming you're young and otherwise healthy, I don't think it should hurt to knit! I would try using other types of needles, holding them differently, and knitting more loosely before I got into anything else. If it's hurting it's probably also causing damage, and that's not something you want to go along with.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Fionnoula posted:

Hat blocking: I steal a ball from my son and put the hat on it and balance the ball on a cup or bowl. Like this:

He's got that red one that's the perfect size for an adult hat and a smaller yellow one that works out well for toddler/small child hats.

I really like the design of this hat! Do you have a pattern that you could link? I may try to crank out a "toboggan" (or "beanie", for all the non-Southerners) for my stepson before it gets real cold.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Also, while I'm thinking of it, I think my next project may be a men's summer/spring scarf (or cowl). I am probably going to just do it in garter stitch and not use a pattern per se, but any recommendations for what material and weight of yarn I should use and what size needles? I am not that fashion conscious, so I don't know what exactly constitutes a men's summer scarf, as opposed to a woman's scarf or a winter scarf.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

laertes22 posted:

I really like the design of this hat! Do you have a pattern that you could link? I may try to crank out a "toboggan" (or "beanie", for all the non-Southerners) for my stepson before it gets real cold.

That's Jared Flood's Koolhaas, knitted in Berroco Vintage. It's a paid pattern, but it's a really fun knit and I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it - everyone wants one.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Hey knitters!

I am relatively new to knitting, having first tried it out about a year ago, but lately I've gotten beyond making awkward little squares I unravel when I get bored and finally completed my second real project this evening.

My first project was a very wide ~6' scarf of cheap red heart yarn (in stockinette, so of course it curled badly). I stitched up the edges to flatten it and made a nice, thick, warm scarf out of it, way too heavy to wear here in the Deep South, but I still like it.

This evening I finished a garter stitch scarf (about 5') I accidentally promised a friend as a birthday gift. Just need to wash it, do a quick simple embroidered letter on it, pack it up and it's ready to go.

I got kind of ahead of myself and picked up a couple balls of some variety of Berroco tweed yarn at the local independent yarn shop between these projects. It's really nice yarn and looks great but I cannot manage to make a single decent looking thing out of it, not even a simple swatch. I even went out and bought #7 needles as suggested on the package, and still everything I try to make looks like hell.

I accept that maybe I'm not at that level yet and that's fine, but I'm pretty decent at simple stitches by now and I feel like I should be able to make something acceptable out of this stuff. I think I'll knit my 85 year old grandmother a babushka thing out of some cheap yarn so she can go smoke in relative comfort in the New Jersey winters while I further refine my technique, I guess. Not lookimg for any particular advice, just airing my frustrations here.

FYI I'm a guy who knits so buying and talking yarn and knitting is way more awkward than it needs to be. The reactions people give out here when a man mentions knitting are both hilarious and disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Hey man, knitting is cool and you don't have to feel bad for being a dude who knits. :thumbsup: Some people have trouble accepting that, but that just means they don't get to receive awesome knit presents from you later.

I had a lot of trouble with tweedy yarns too when I started out. I tended to stick my needle in between strands. You'll get there eventually!

What helped me finally nail down the general basics was making the mistake of promising my friend a 4th Doctor scarf. It turned out great and I can knit at the speed of light now, but I wouldn't recommend a 12-foot long project to just anybody.