Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I think the concept of martyrdom is pretty creepy. Not the idea that people are willing to die for their beliefs, but the idea that people are willing to kill for them.

This page on martyrs of the Church of Latter-Day Saints lists over fifty people, the most recent in 2006, in a religion less than 200 years old. I've been reading a lot on LDS history lately, and it's crazy to me that people were so threatened by the spread of such a small sect that they started to mob and murder. Tied in with this is the Mormon extermination order, which was given by the governor of Missouri in 1938. The governor, Lilburn Boggs, later survived an assassination attempt. The would-be assassin was probably Porter Rockwell who, if nothing else, was a creepy-looking guy.

Sorry, this wasn't supposed to be a post on LDS history, but hey. It's really creepy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

What's up nocturnal seizure disorder buddy? I have Autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. It started with no impetus when I was about 14 with minor abscence seizures, where I would just sort of zone out for 30 seconds or so. Which then progressed to full on grand mal seizures that would occur when I woke up in the morning. Like, I would wake up and immediately start having a seizure. Which is terrifying when you're 14 and there's no history of epilepsy in your family.

These days it's well controlled by medication, but if I miss a dose or two, I'll seize out. Now, I'll really just come to after it's happened and be hyper ventillating, disoriented and physically drained. Withouy the meds, when they first started, they were actually physically painful. It would feel like my legs and elbows were bending against their joints, I'd be unable to move, then my teeth would.clench.shut with enough.force that I was sure they would break. At that point I'd usually black out.

Real fun stuff, but it's not photosensitive or anything so I lead a normal life outside of daily medication. Sudden Death in Epilepsy Syndrome or status epilepticus are very real fears of mine, but are so rare that it's not something I worry about as long as Im medicated.

Postseizure activity is entertaining as hell, isn't it? Roughly 1/3 of the time I get brutal headaches--think 'brain freeze' that won't vanish after a few long seconds. More common, for me anyway, is the inability to speak. This can last anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour. I can usually write something down, so I can tell people if I need anything. Starting to speak again is a strange process. It starts slowly, gradually picking up speed and complexity until I'm back to what passes for normal. There are also times when I can talk, but I sound so incoherent that people think I'm stoned. Yet I can understand what people say, and write an articulate sentence.

I'm on Dilantin, one of the few I can tolerate. It's usually taken at bedtime because it makes you drowsy. It wakes me up. My sister, mother & I all have what are called 'paradoxical reactions', which is why I don't participate in drug tests/trials. FWIW Dilantin hasn't stopped the seizures. My Dr is afraid to take me off and find out what happens then. Right now I have several small ones a day; weaning me off Dilantin and trying something which may or may not work and/or react badly with all my other meds is a little too exciting for everyone right now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Seizures are freaking weird. The most unnerving thing is that, even if you have no medical reason to have a seizure, you can still have one. I had one a few years back. I was at work, just doing my work things, and next thing I know, I'm being loaded into an ambulance. I'd never had a seizure before. I've never had one since. I'm not epileptic. I have no medical history of anything that should cause a seizure. I spent like two days in the hospital for observation and had some tests done over the next few months but the only thing the doctors could really do was rule out everything that normally causes seizures. In the end all they said was along the lines of "hosed if we know, only thing we can figure out is that you did, in fact, have a massive grand mal seizure."

Apparently my chances of having another, ever, at this point are pretty slim in that I didn't have another seizure within a year but still, it's kind of unnerving to think that, sometimes, for no readily apparent reason, you might just fall over and have a seizure.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You know when your computer crashes and the screen gets all corrupted and whatever sound it was playing at the time starts repeating every half second? I think that's basically what's going on in the brain during a seizure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AGirlWonder posted:

I think the concept of martyrdom is pretty creepy. Not the idea that people are willing to die for their beliefs, but the idea that people are willing to kill for them.

If you're going to talk about Mormons and martyrdom, you really ought to mention the Mountain Meadows Massacre. This legitimately falls under creepy and unnerving for me because the people involved killed 120 men, women, and children (stealing the children under 7 and adopting them), and got away with it for 18 years. Brigham Young held an investigation" in 1857 and concluded that the massacre was the fault of Native Americans. A federal judge was brought in in 1859 and convened a grand jury in Provo, Utah... which refused to indict. Only one man was ever convicted, in 1877. A monument to the victims was repeatedly destroyed. Historians still argue whether Brigham Young knew about the massacre in advance.

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?

Red Fructidor posted:

Out of curiosity, what's that experience like?

It's pretty crappy. I don't know I've had a seizure until I wake up, but there's no mistaking it. I have a headache (I never get headaches usually) and I've bitten my cheek and tongue hard enough to draw blood. Those bites will last for a few days and hurt like a bitch. You lose all muscle control too. The most striking thing is the muscle pain - everying hurts. Like you've been excersizing for hours without properly stretching or warming up. It sucks :(

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

It's pretty crappy. I don't know I've had a seizure until I wake up, but there's no mistaking it. I have a headache (I never get headaches usually) and I've bitten my cheek and tongue hard enough to draw blood. Those bites will last for a few days and hurt like a bitch. You lose all muscle control too. The most striking thing is the muscle pain - everying hurts. Like you've been excersizing for hours without properly stretching or warming up. It sucks :(

This sounds about right. I started having seizures at about 27, right at the age my mom had hers. My sister had one a couple years after me, but six or seven seizures later I still haven't been able to catch one on EEG. Mine are mostly grand mal but we're starting to suspect I have a number of smaller ones too. Myoclonic jerks are something I've had to get used to as a constant daily occurrence, and since I don't have an aura I have no idea when a seizure's coming which pretty much sucks when I'm out in public and just drop.

But yeah, I pretty much just go about doing my thing and then I'm waking up, I always puke and I can't understand anything anyone says for a few minutes. Then I need to go sleep it off for a few hours and the next day I'm sore as gently caress. It really, really sucks and I cannot loving wait to find a medication that helps control them.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mountain Meadows Massacre

Historians still argue whether Brigham Young knew about the massacre in advance.

It managed to completely slip my mind, but yeah. I think Porter Rockwell had a role in that one, too. The creepiest thing was finding out that local schools, streets, and a tavern were all named for him. And Young probably knew about it. Even if he didn't give the order, he didn't forbid the massacre.

I need to make a legitimate post on some of the creepier aspects of LDS history. That, or an effort post in the D&D pictures thread.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Wow, now I'm really glad one of my medications doubles as an anticonvulsant, since the idea of just randomly having a seizure for no reason is terrifying. :stare:

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Can the epilepsy talk stop please, its not a wikipedia page. Start a A/T thread for it, maybe?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Have another medical horror: Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.

In short, it's when your body decides to repair damaged fibrous tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) with bone tissue. Joints end locked up and sufferers seemingly turn to stone and the only blessing so far is that it's genetic and not, say, infectious.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

In a similar vein of body horror: :nms: Stevens–Johnson syndrome

:smith: Having a bad headache; some Tylenol should fix it.

:unsmith: Ah, feeling a lot better..

:unsmigghh: OH MY GOD MY SKIN IS FALLING OFF

Terminal Entropy has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Aug 26, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Terminal Entropy posted:

In a similar vein of body horror:

Should probably add :nms: to that, the pictures on that page aren't of cute kittens.

(Of course now that I've pointed this out everyone will look anyway)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Terminal Entropy posted:

I'm surprised by how well those emoticons fit.

Recommended reading on that terrifying bone-growing disease: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/06/the-mystery-of-the-second-skeleton/309305/

xtal has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Aug 26, 2013

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Koro
"...an episode of sudden and intense anxiety that the penis (or, in females, the vulva and nipples) will recede into the body and possibly cause death."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_%28medicine%29

Uncombable hair syndrome - chilling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncombable_hair_syndrome

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Terminal Entropy posted:

In one of those near death experience threads a few years ago a goon posted about having this as a result of taking Ibuprofen. Haven't seen the story since though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Rapman the Cook posted:

Koro
"...an episode of sudden and intense anxiety that the penis (or, in females, the vulva and nipples) will recede into the body and possibly cause death."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_%28medicine%29

Obviously unfounded, The Amazing Atheist is still alive last I checked.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

Oh, this thing! :haw: I was, until recently, on a medication that, very rarely, caused SJS and its more severe cousin, toxic epidermal necrolysis :nms:. Fortunately, those mostly tend to happen if you gently caress up taking it (i.e. miss too many doses and then resume taking your usual dose or similar cock-ups), but still, for a year plus I was on the look-out for any rash at all, just in case my skin decided to fall off.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Imagine that you live in Africa. Your skin is white, because you were born an albino.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_people_with_albinism

Witchdoctors and shamans use parts from albino people to make 'good luck' charms. There is no :psyboom: big enough.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I suffer from this: sleep paralysis. It is scary as gently caress, because you constantly see people entering your room, and you are just stuck there. You're conscious, mentally, but you can't move your body at all. I have breathing exercises to remedy it, but they still take more than 30 min--enough time to be murdered and dumped. The only consolation I have is that there isn't really anyone else in the room-but what happens when there is?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Kaizoku posted:

I suffer from this: sleep paralysis. It is scary as gently caress, because you constantly see people entering your room, and you are just stuck there. You're conscious, mentally, but you can't move your body at all. I have breathing exercises to remedy it, but they still take more than 30 min--enough time to be murdered and dumped. The only consolation I have is that there isn't really anyone else in the room-but what happens when there is?

Its actually quite common, Im pretty sure it was discussed at length in the last thread.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Rapman the Cook posted:

Its actually quite common, Im pretty sure it was discussed at length in the last thread.

also every scary thread ever since the beginning of time

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
Oh poo poo here comes the sleep paralysis derail.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

I think the whole point is that you're not completely conscious.

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

Thanks for sharing that stuff everyone. It's a lot more interesting, and scarier in some ways, than "oh here's some guy who ate a family."

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

Red Fructidor posted:

Thanks for sharing that stuff everyone. It's a lot more interesting, and scarier in some ways, than "oh here's some guy who ate a family."

You'd love hearing about my week in the neuro ward then. Monday: thread favorite Cyclical Vomiting, because I had to wean off of the drug I use to control it. Today: five minor CV spells, one right after the other. Sometime tonight: my doctor intentionally triggers a seizure. Tomorrow: FYAD called in to consult. Thursday: someone is going to eat my family.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Friday: A partridge in a pear tree

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

AltoidsAddict posted:

You'd love hearing about my week in the neuro ward then. Monday: thread favorite Cyclical Vomiting, because I had to wean off of the drug I use to control it. Today: five minor CV spells, one right after the other. Sometime tonight: my doctor intentionally triggers a seizure. Tomorrow: FYAD called in to consult. Thursday: someone is going to eat my family.

Friday: your hospital is swallowed by a sinkhole.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

Otana posted:

Friday: your hospital is swallowed by a sinkhole.

May as well, I know hospital food is bad but why did they have to hire Masaokis?

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

AltoidsAddict posted:

May as well, I know hospital food is bad but why did they have to hire Masaokis?

Do they sterilize the hospital rooms with fire?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Elim Garak posted:

Do they sterilize the hospital rooms with fire?

No, the fires are just incidental when the defrosting flame escapes from the toilet. And the defrosted meat gets launched off of the toilet rim into another room in the extinguishing panic.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Growing up south of Boston this always creeped me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgewater_Triangle

It's like a mini Bermuda Triangle in New England. I grew up hearing all kinds or urban legends and campfire stories that played into the whole "mysterious part of the forest" dark New England vibe.

More info from a less credible and more sensationalistic site::

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/b/bridgewater-triangle/

Also a site in Connecticut that I assume has been posted but I can't find. So in the spirit of the thread title I will post it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Town

Luvcow has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Aug 28, 2013

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Luvcow posted:

Growing up south of Boston this always creeped me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgewater_Triangle

It's like a mini Bermuda Triangle in New England. I grew up hearing all kinds or urban legends and campfire stories that played into the whole "mysterious part of the forest" dark New England vibe.

More info from a less credible and more sensationalistic site::

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/b/bridgewater-triangle/

Also a site in Connecticut that I assume has been posted but I can't find. So in the spirit of the thread title I will post it.

Holy poo poo, Bridgewater Triangle is a real life Night Vale.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Luvcow posted:

I hiked up to Dudleytown with some friends in the 1980s. There's not much there to indicate a town any more, just a few almost filled-in cellar ruins. The thing about animals shunning it is hilarious, because the whole place was alive with birds and squirrels and other critters running around doing their thing. It's basically just a pretty, though somewhat dark and damp, patch of forest.

The thing about how much the people who live around there hate people trespassing is 100% correct, though, we had a lady come out to where we'd parked our car and threaten us with a broom. :haw:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Unexpected Road posted:

Holy poo poo, Bridgewater Triangle is a real life Night Vale.

I forget if it was mentioned before, and it certainly isn't a wikipedia article... but check out Welcome to Night Vale if you like scary/paranormal things and enjoy podcasts or talk radio. It's like NPR mixed with The X-Files. GBS thread here.

Sorry if it was already mentioned, but Capgras delusion is an interesting way that the human brain can misfire. From the wiki page: "a disorder in which a person holds a delusion that a friend, spouse, parent, or other close family member has been replaced by an identical-looking impostor."

Just imagine - you are absolutely convinced that a close friend or family member has been replaced with an identical fake. No one believes you. You are still coherent and mentally stable otherwise. There's no reason for them to be "replaced" by an impostor, so why? Who took the real one away? That's something straight out of a nightmare.

Possibly related to prosopagnosia, where you are unable to recognize others based on their facial features. You'll still recognize and be able to identify your friends by voice, manners, style of dress, etc. But if you were just given a portrait of someone you knew, they might appear to be a stranger you've never seen in your life.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
Mellified man! I tell my friends (well, the ones that like scary stuff) about this every year around Halloween so I have an excuse to give out those ginger babies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellified_man

Wiki posted:

Mellified man, or human mummy confection, was a legendary medicinal substance created by steeping a human cadaver in honey. The concoction is mentioned only in Chinese sources, most significantly the Bencao Gangmu of the 16th-century Chinese pharmacologist Li Shizhen. Relying on a second-hand account, Li reports a story that some elderly men in Arabia, nearing the end of their lives, would submit themselves to a process of mummification in honey to create a healing confection.[1] This process differed from a simple body donation because of the aspect of self-sacrifice; the mellification process would ideally start before death. The donor would stop eating any food other than honey, going as far as to bathe in the substance. Shortly, his feces (and even his sweat, according to legend) would consist of honey. When this diet finally proved fatal, the donor's body would be placed in a stone coffin filled with honey. After a century or so, the contents would have turned into a sort of confection reputedly capable of healing broken limbs and other ailments. This confection would then be carefully sold in street markets as a hard to find item with a hefty price.

Paints made from mummies!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummy_brown

Honey made from aphid secretions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#Honeydew_honey

DrHerpington has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Aug 30, 2013

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

AltoidsAddict posted:

Tomorrow: FYAD called in to consult.

Somehow I don't think they're going to be a big help

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

p-hop posted:

I forget if it was mentioned before, and it certainly isn't a wikipedia article... but check out Welcome to Night Vale if you like scary/paranormal things and enjoy podcasts or talk radio. It's like NPR mixed with The X-Files. GBS thread here.

Sorry if it was already mentioned, but Capgras delusion is an interesting way that the human brain can misfire. From the wiki page: "a disorder in which a person holds a delusion that a friend, spouse, parent, or other close family member has been replaced by an identical-looking impostor."

Just imagine - you are absolutely convinced that a close friend or family member has been replaced with an identical fake. No one believes you. You are still coherent and mentally stable otherwise. There's no reason for them to be "replaced" by an impostor, so why? Who took the real one away? That's something straight out of a nightmare.

Possibly related to prosopagnosia, where you are unable to recognize others based on their facial features. You'll still recognize and be able to identify your friends by voice, manners, style of dress, etc. But if you were just given a portrait of someone you knew, they might appear to be a stranger you've never seen in your life.

I mentioned that I had moderate prosopagnosia previously in this thread, and now that you brought them up together I do sort of get why they'd be related. Sometimes I kind of subconsciously doubt that I've identified the person I'm approaching correctly and maybe this is just some stranger I started talking to and not my best friend or whatever and I get a little tinge of anxiety. The doubt goes away once they respond like my best friend responds, but I could easily see how someone could sorta start to think that they're talking to a weird impostor if their person-recognition brain circuitry is messed up in the right way :tinfoil:

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

p-hop posted:

I thought the case studies included in that wiki article were really interesting. Does anyone know a good site that goes into different types of psychosis on a case by case basis?

Like, "Patient X came in complaining of..." type stuff.

kolby has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Oliver Sacks's books have a lot of very interesting case studies, but I don't think he's ever written about Capgras. He's a neurologist, not a psychiatrist, so he tends to deal more with organic brain damage.

• Locked thread