Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It probably isn't fair to compare Minecraft's world generation to cellular automata. MC isn't generating the entire world at once. It generates individual chunks and it always has to work the same no matter what order the chunks are generated in. If you start in a world at 10000, 0 and walk to 0, 0, you have to get the same map as if you started at 0,0 and walked to 10000, 0. It isn't fair to compare that to a bunch of terrain generated all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
This is also a really good point.

Jewel posted:

But even then, why would his response to "Oceans too small!" be to just scale up the map completely uniformly, basically.

He removed the islands from the ocean biomes in order to make them have a larger footprint and then increased their general footprint. He posted a twice as large map (which, honestly, he should have posted the same 16,000x map from yesterday) to show that, hey, oceans are now over twice as big.

People are merely telling him that the oceans were not large enough, not that they were shaped correctly or what ever. So now we have oceans with a minimum size much larger than what was posted yesterday.

Again he is more or less going directly what people are telling him, it is only a few very people (mostly in this thread) who want something else entirely, he isn't hearing your complaint on the changes.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 29, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

This is good. Giant oceans are stupid. When I hosted a PVP server, every time I started a new map I had to spend 20 minutes flying around to make sure the map wasn't all water or the map would suck. Sometimes it would take 4 or 5 maps to find one that was good. And I think Rack said he goes through the same thing with his UHC server.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
In other, hopefully less rage inducing, news. Dinnerbone is continuing his work on improving the menu system. Today he is making more options for setting volume.

The fact that I can turn off just the noise rain makes and keep everything else makes me very happy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What're the bright red biomes that appear only in some deserts?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

By the way, when roughly can we expect the next patch?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

By the way, when roughly can we expect the next patch?

Gonna guess another two months. According to the devs the patch isn't even in a state to do a snapshot with.

MikeJF posted:

What're the bright red biomes that appear only in some deserts?

Possibly harden clay canyons, the full new biome list hasn't been revealed yet so who knows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enzer posted:

In other, hopefully less rage inducing, news. Dinnerbone is continuing his work on improving the menu system. Today he is making more options for setting volume.

The fact that I can turn off just the noise rain makes and keep everything else makes me very happy.

Excellent.

Now to see if we can get a separate portal-noise slider.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Enzer posted:

Gonna guess another two months. According to the devs the patch isn't even in a state to do a snapshot with.

Hmm, ok. I guess I'll start playing Minecraft again today instead of waiting for the new patch.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Excellent.

Now to see if we can get a separate portal-noise slider.

And hopefully an "Endermen death scream" slider. Using the endermen farm on the server I play on requires me to turn minecraft volume down to like 4% so I don't wake up the neighbours 5 doors down.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
In other news, Grum makes modders cry:

I think I just did the biggest refactor in Minecraft history, 222 commits, 379 files changed, 25023 lines of diffs. Breaks all the things!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MikeJF posted:

The current mapgen makes stuff that looks just like that, everyone bitches about the overwhelming amount of ocean all the time.

I don't know who "everyone" is, but if you mean these people, he shouldn't listen to them. They have bad opinions.

Maybe this will finally lead to a proper terrain generator similar to the "Phoenix Terrain Mod" somewhere down the line.

Maybe next he can get all modders to stop putting their stuff behind malware sites.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The covert jaguar bitching in that tweet is comedic.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

fondue posted:

The covert jaguar bitching in that tweet is comedic.

Modders want a mod api, modders don't want drastic changes. Grum should just post a video of himself spinning around in circles on the floor. :v:

The B_36 posted:

And hopefully an "Endermen death scream" slider. Using the endermen farm on the server I play on requires me to turn minecraft volume down to like 4% so I don't wake up the neighbours 5 doors down.

Well, he just added a slider for "Enemy Monsters".

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 29, 2013

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Enzer posted:

^^^
This is also a really good point.

He removed the islands from the ocean biomes in order to make them have a larger footprint and then increased their general footprint. He posted a twice as large map (which, honestly, he should have posted the same 16,000x map from yesterday) to show that, hey, oceans are now over twice as big.

People are merely telling him that the oceans were not large enough, not that they were shaped correctly or what ever. So now we have oceans with a minimum size much larger than what was posted yesterday.

Again he is more or less going directly what people are telling him, it is only a few very people (mostly in this thread) who want something else entirely, he isn't hearing your complaint on the changes.

I've wanted proper islands to build on since the end of indev. gently caress the whiners, what are they going to do with all that water anyway?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Enzer posted:

I know it won't happen, but I want a specific slider just for the Endermen death scream. Its about 5 times louder than every other noise made by any other mob. Turning down all 'enemy mobs' sounds so that the endermen noise is at an acceptable level means you can barely hear zombie moans or skeleton rattlings.

Not a big deal, but it'd be nice.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Enzer posted:

Modders want a mod api, modders don't want drastic changes. Grum should just post a video of himself spinning around in circles on the floor. :v:

Huh that's gonna be a bit overpowered on PVP maps.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

Couldn't agree more. The rain sound is nice but it's so loud that it overpowers everything else.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

The B_36 posted:

I know it won't happen, but I want a specific slider just for the Endermen death scream.

That would be really easy to fix with a content pack. They're already adding in the ability to mix-and-match them, so just make a pack with a muted version of that one sound file. Done.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Enzer posted:

There are over double the current biomes plus rare spawning biomes and biomes now have rules they have to follow for where they generate. In order to give players worlds that will have all biomes realistically accessible, you have to increase the landmass that generates within an area. Otherwise you end up with, as someone was saying earlier, situations where you end up searching four hours on end away from where you are building for something like jungle wood.

Considering I've been playing and exploring new maps pretty consistently ever since they were added and I've still never seen a natural mycelium biome, I think the team should just rethink how rare they want to keep stuff like that if they're actually adding significant content through them. From the looks of the generation update it looks like it's more focused on different arrangements of already-existing materials though, which is nice.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ironically, if you want to find a mushroom biome, you have to explore the ocean. They only exist as ocean islands.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ironically, if you want to find a mushroom biome, you have to explore the ocean. They only exist as ocean islands.

Oh so that's what we've been doing wrong on our server looking for mushroom biomes. Time to make a bunch of boats.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

For good reason, that poo poo spreads like the plague.

I just thought of something earlier today. With all the land somehow interconnected, that means horses become a hell of a lot more useful. See, horses stop dead when they fall into water, which means that you either need to drag them with leads (which I find like to snap in the case of water travel), push the fucker ahead of you, or build a bridge to wherever you are going. With natural land-bridges everywhere, I can now just ride my horse (which with can become easily faster than any boat) from one side of the infinite world to the other.

I like this change.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Double ironically, since you mentioned it, I found my first mushroom biome today without even trying. Started a new world and got dropped practically on top of it.

EDIT now that I think of it: What's everyone's favorite "resource packs"?

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 30, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing that shows up a lot in my game is also conveniently in your screenshot so I can bitch about it!

I'm really tired of seeing this every time a bit of terrain comes into view, persisting until I walk on it for a few seconds. I was gonna complain about the black shadows too but apparently they've been fixed?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

EDIT now that I think of it: What's everyone's favorite "resource packs"?

What minimap mod are you using in that screenshot? I like the look of that compass thing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What is the easiest way to change my original spawn point on my server? I want my compass to actually be useful. I am using Tekkit, if that has any bearing on it and I am the admin.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Servoret posted:

What minimap mod are you using in that screenshot? I like the look of that compass thing.

Rei's Minimap, I believe. Not home right now so can't look.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Blah blah, Jeb's off to some thing at a museum in London and Dinnerbone is busy helping Grum with refactoring.

Dinnerbone also let out that written books can now be cloned:

And that item frames act properly now (Clicking on them removes the item from the frame, clicking on an empty frame removes the frame from the wall), they also do this now when you are close and the item displayed has a custom name:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

And that item frames act properly now (Clicking on them removes the item from the frame, clicking on an empty frame removes the frame from the wall)
This is yet another one of those updates that introduce some feature that's really minor in the scope of things but really significant to me. When item frames first came out I used one to mount shears near my sheep pen, thinking they'd provide easy, quicker-than-chests access to a single item I'd use frequently. It didn't work that way. Now that it does I can go back to convenient sheep-shearing instantly!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, I really wish they'd start releasing snapshots again.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Man, I really wish they'd start releasing snapshots again.

Supposedly they are waiting for Grum to finish his refactoring and for Jeb (who is out in London right now) to finish up a few more things with the biomes before they start doing snapshots again. No point in doing snapshots until the refactoring is done at the very least. I'd guess two more weeks.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
As much as I bitch about the devs moving at a glacial pace and with really bizarre/no direction most of the time, they're really good at adding neat little quality of life stuff that I wouldn't even think of. Naming an item when you scroll to it on the hotbar, the nice 3D dropped item icons, and right-click dragging stacks are all really great things that I don't think anything really addressed beforehand.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Heavy Lobster posted:

As much as I bitch about the devs moving at a glacial pace and with really bizarre/no direction most of the time, they're really good at adding neat little quality of life stuff that I wouldn't even think of. Naming an item when you scroll to it on the hotbar, the nice 3D dropped item icons, and right-click dragging stacks are all really great things that I don't think anything really addressed beforehand.

I think of the three things you mentioned, only the click-drag was not done by a mod over a year ago. Yes it's great that it's finally in vanilla, sure, but pretty much everything has been addressed by the mod community if you're willing to wade through sewage for a while.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So is "it's been done in a mod" such a terrible complaint? There are a lot of people that don't want to faff about with mods so every feature that gets added to the base game is to their benefit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If they are to stop adding anything added by modders, then they may as well just stop development entirely. I'm not saying the rate of improvements has been acceptable, but there are thousands of minecraft modders out there, even with a great rate of improvement they'd still end up lagging behind modders in innovation and general game improvement.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think I've heard "they should just implement this stuff that modders have done already" as much as "they just implemented stuff modders have already done" as complaints from the community.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it's great they're adding this stuff! I was just addressing the notion that it had never been thought of before.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I still wish pistons flung you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Edminster posted:

I think of the three things you mentioned, only the click-drag was not done by a mod over a year ago. Yes it's great that it's finally in vanilla, sure, but pretty much everything has been addressed by the mod community if you're willing to wade through sewage for a while.

The 3D dropped items use code that has been in the game since items were rendered in player hands, it was just never enabled for resource reasons. The Mod that added this feature before it was activated used that code. So technically two, I don't remember a mod that did item text in the hot bar. :v: