Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

darealkooky posted:

People do this? I thought people hated on twin snakes for being worse in every single way besides having blocky lego people.

Dude, it's identical, outside of being able to shoot in first person and then, hey, that's an option!

Also bodies don't disappear but I don't recall that ever mattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This isn't really the thread to go on a big :goonsay: about other Metal Gear games.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

What I never understood was peoples almost universal preference of MGS1s voice acting.

Mei Ling has a ridiculous accent for an american born MIT graduate, and the Cyborg Ninja sounds exactly like the Darpa Chief, if he spoke into a tin can while speaking to people.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 31, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Dude, it's identical, outside of being able to shoot in first person and then, hey, that's an option!

First person broke the game in places though. Still doesn't warrant an overreaction in the thread about the game that one ups it in crazy poo poo.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
A Twin Snakes argument will not break out in the Church of Jack.

Metal Gear Rising #12-1: Escape from Denver.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-2: The Only Thing I Know for Real.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #12-3: No Damage
Metal Gear Rising #12-4: E-books (Codec)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I love Sam's chapter being by itself because it means you can just load it up anytime and play it. Every other bos in the game requires you to play through the entire level first, which can range from tolerable to awful. The game really could've done with a boss rush mode.

Also, this chapter is the reason why I prefer white blood for cyborgs. It makes the revelation about Sam a lot more poignant (because it's the first red blood you see in the game after N'mani).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Raiden's motorcycle is great.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Pretty sure the Contra intro and this are both reference to Goemon Ishikawa XIII from Lupin the Third.

He has a sword called Zantetsu which with which he performs absurd feats like this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing but awesome poo poo coming up, now, but Sam's boss fight is the greatest moment of the game for me. The music, the fact that it's one of the best 'two guys who are both just really good swordsmen have a duel' fights I've ever played, and Sam's smug and awesome fighting style just sell the whole thing. It's just amazing.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

Pretty sure the Contra intro and this are both reference to Goemon Ishikawa XIII from Lupin the Third.

He has a sword called Zantetsu which with which he performs absurd feats like this.

He can also cut people's clothes off like we saw in 12-1.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
God, I love Sam's boss theme. And the end cutscene for that chapter is really the greatest thing.

Gaseous Snake posted:

He can also cut people's clothes off like we saw in 12-1.

Note that the line immediately following that is basically him saying "my skills are wasted on poo poo like this."

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I've had lots of trouble with the second phase of Sam's fight (when he is bare-handed) I think because I rely to much on the slide and red hot kicks and he punishes the gently caress out of you for using those. Still, an amazing fight both mechanically and atmospherically. Two guys with swords, the arena, the music, the setting sun, and that loving tumbleweed. :allears:

And the best part is that the next boss fight is even better. :getin:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Raiden almost going into Ripper Mode because Wolf won't "shake" is the greatest thing. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sam's second phase is where you really need to learn the dodge move, because if you parry his grabs he jumps away immediately and you get almost no chance to damage him, while if you dodge it he lets you land a combo.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

7c Nickel posted:

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg7RekS8k_o

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Haha, everything Wolf did in that cutscene was great. Although was there an actual reason he didn't say anything? Like did he need to pretend to be a normal robot dog for some reason, or was he still preoccupied over Sam, or was he just being an rear end in a top hat for the sake of it?

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

LAY-ZX posted:

Haha, everything Wolf did in that cutscene was great. Although was there an actual reason he didn't say anything? Like did he need to pretend to be a normal robot dog for some reason, or was he still preoccupied over Sam, or was he just being an rear end in a top hat for the sake of it?

I always assumed he didn't have a voice box, and just spoke over the codec.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Here's a video of someone fighting Sam with the barrel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiiwetRC0e4

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

rbakervv posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

rbakervv posted:

He says in his intro cutscene as LQ-84i that he has the ability to do proper audible speech(proved when he goes "Greetings, Cyborg" to Raiden). I think Platinum just wanted to have an amusing follow-up to Mr. Kawaii.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
How did you manage to do mocap Chip? Did they invite you in to a studio or did you call and beg or what?

Did you infiltrate the studio and get into a fist fight with your clone brother? I need answers, dammit!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Raiden sounded even nerdier than normal in that Sam fight, just listen to the way he says "Play time's over". I wonder if they did the voices for that one earlier than the rest.

But anyway, I loved the Sam fight. I'm a fan of bosses that are on even ground with you, it just makes it feel way more badass when you finally finish them off. I do remember feeling he was a little too easy, though.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
From what I can tell/have heard from other people, Sam is weird in the difficulty area. On normal he's apparently pretty easy, but he spikes rather noticeably on hard and upward. I think maybe the boost to his aggression and damage are enough to shift his difficulty significantly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

He says in his intro cutscene as LQ-84i that he has the ability to do proper audible speech. I think Platinum just wanted to have an amusing follow-up to Mr. Kawaii.

I think Wolf just doesn't like slackers, eating pizza and reading manga on the clock? Wolf isn't having that. :colbert:

Also no matter how many times I hear it I can't get over the "Jack's back" thing.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Love the fact you're covering all the different elements of the game's fighting mechanics, since it shows you how well considered everything is and why Platinum is the best at them. This is probably one of the best LP's I've watched in a while and I'm so glad you're doing this game justice. Just listening to someone who's really researched into all the game through and through just make it that much more enjoyable to watch. I also really hope you do all the VR Missions as well, since i'd like to see what you say about each of them.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wolf just wasn't programed with a good grief response system, so that's why he acts like he does at SOLIS.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Sapient Afro posted:

Here's a video of someone fighting Sam with the barrel

The related videos have spoilers, could you Polsy this?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am unreasonably happy that the guy who is just ridiculously good with a sword and not even super-cyborg does that "stops sword with bare hands" move. And the whole setting for the duel! And that Raiden cleans the blade before sheathing it.

...And am I the only one who looked at Raiden sheathing the sword to put in Wolf's mouth as an amusing inverse of that last Raiden scene in MGS4?

I like that he died of the smallest-looking wound. One deep stab. It kinda hammers in how human he still is.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012
Here's something I never understood about the timeline of this section of the game. When Sundowner dies, he says the thing is going down in 3 hours. I'm going to assume the fight ended just as the sun rises. So... why the gently caress is it sunset already?! And it's already nighttime when he reaches Solis!

Are days in Colorado like a couple of hours long? Am I missing something here? They did say the timelimit is 3 hours, didn't they?

edit: Sam-talk time! To be honest, I was kinda disappointed by how easy the fight were. I started the game on Hard my first time through and I didn't have as much trouble with him as say... a couple of Mastiffs. I've yet to play it on Very Hard or Reveangance. Hopefully the difficulty ramp up there.

Tazzillekki fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 31, 2013

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The related videos have spoilers, could you Polsy this?

Here you go:
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKiiwetRC0e4

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Tazzillekki posted:

Are days in Colorado like a couple of hours long? Am I missing something here? They did say the timelimit is 3 hours, didn't they?

I think what happened was that the random storm that kicked in during Monsoon's chapter just ended shortly after Sundowner.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sgt Thud posted:

From what I can tell/have heard from other people, Sam is weird in the difficulty area. On normal he's apparently pretty easy, but he spikes rather noticeably on hard and upward. I think maybe the boost to his aggression and damage are enough to shift his difficulty significantly.

I don't think Sam is particularly hard on any difficulty, I thought he was one of the easier bosses. Especially compared to what's coming up soon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tazzillekki posted:

Here's something I never understood about the timeline of this section of the game. When Sundowner dies, he says the thing is going down in 3 hours. I'm going to assume the fight ended just as the sun rises. So... why the gently caress is it sunset already?! And it's already nighttime when he reaches Solis!

It's a Platinum/Metal Gear game. You're thinking too much. The developers wanted a ninja and a samurai to duel in the middle of a desert road with tumbleweed at sunset, time of the day be damned.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Tazzillekki posted:

There is a storm going on at the time, it's not actually night.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Was the anime for the guard you mo-capped your idea or Platinum's/Kojima's?

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

..storm stuff..

Yeah, now that you mention it, it's more like that it's just a storm. It lasted for so long that I assumed that the time of day changed into night. It was so dark in the Sundowner fight that it looks more like nighttime than a heavy storm.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Lance Streetman posted:

gently caress your snuggie, I need to see Raiden fight in that pink rabbit costume from A Christmas Story.

As a side note the escape from Denver was where I first discovered the barrel did damage...after I tipped the thing over and immediately blew up a car. :stare:

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 31, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

You're pretty much the best.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

This is the most amazing thing. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This game just LOVES giving Raiden quite literal close shaves, doesn't it?

• Locked thread