Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Yeah, I got Cyc's P5 alt which is sick, but I missed out on Iron Patriot and some of the older alts. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Cyc is *very* solid in pvp right now. His only problem is Bologna scroll but a lot of people have issues with it. He also will be getting his 90's X-Men costume as the reward from Season 2 Chapter 2 last I heard from PD, which does need at least Scarlet Witch to unlock Mission 6 premium.

Ares seems pretty bad rear end at the moment, very much a buff-the-rest-of-the-team character like Cyclops, with a Remove Buffs attack from all enemies and Despair to deal with Phoenix.

Quicksilver is also one of the best pvp characters, in my opinion. He gets two turns a round, can give out free dick punches as a pre-emptive counter, but is very vulnerable to bleed as a result of how many attacks he can make in a round. Buy him his Blue Generalist suit if you can. A problem with him being a Scrapper is his basic attack for things like Flanked and his Scrapper Follow-Up is an AOE attack. This will enrage any Bruisers, possibly before their next attack instead of after it had they chosen to attack him.

I would also bet that they will re-release Resue/Mk 42 Ironman/Iron Patriot War Machine for the Iron Man 3 Blu-Ray/DVD relese this month.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Question IRL posted:

As for living with the notion that you have to buy Shatterstar, that's something I can't help you with. You'll just have to live with that knowledge.
Pro tip: Shatterstar actually beats rear end and is by far the best scrapper for speed farming in any chapter that has infiltrators. Not sure he's quite ready for pvp yet but he is a bad mother fucker in pve.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Syrinxx posted:

Pro tip: Shatterstar actually beats rear end and is by far the best scrapper for speed farming in any chapter that has infiltrators. Not sure he's quite ready for pvp yet but he is a bad mother fucker in pve.

Yea, once i got him to level 9, he started to shine. He's not as good as Wolverine, Magic or White Suit Iron Fist (probably the best 3 scrappers right now), but he's no Luke Cage.

Any hints on getting the Dark Hawkeye fight? I three birded him with no one dieing, and the highest I've gotten is 70k.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, once i got him to level 9, he started to shine. He's not as good as Wolverine, Magic or White Suit Iron Fist (probably the best 3 scrappers right now), but he's no Luke Cage.

Any hints on getting the Dark Hawkeye fight? I three birded him with no one dieing, and the highest I've gotten is 70k.

The best way to get high scores is to do a lot of damage in a single attack; one hit kills and epic overkills are worth 150 points each. Thor or Havok are, in my experience, the best at making sure something dies in one hit; if Thor has his modern costume he can do it a couple of rounds in a row. Either can actually one hit epic overkill any normal character and at the least one hit a boss. Having high health at the end also helps, so sometimes it's best to delay the killing blow to heal up. I wouldn't be afraid of breaking out the heavy duty items if you're still having trouble; the chrono items that give extra turns and the Team Healing elixir that heals everyone a lot every round both make it easier.

I went in with modern Thor and alt costume Hawkeye and ended up with something like 160k.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

CDW posted:

Cyc is *very* solid in pvp right now. His only problem is Bologna scroll but a lot of people have issues with it. He also will be getting his 90's X-Men costume as the reward from Season 2 Chapter 2 last I heard from PD, which does need at least Scarlet Witch to unlock Mission 6 premium.

Ares seems pretty bad rear end at the moment, very much a buff-the-rest-of-the-team character like Cyclops, with a Remove Buffs attack from all enemies and Despair to deal with Phoenix.

Quicksilver is also one of the best pvp characters, in my opinion. He gets two turns a round, can give out free dick punches as a pre-emptive counter, but is very vulnerable to bleed as a result of how many attacks he can make in a round. Buy him his Blue Generalist suit if you can. A problem with him being a Scrapper is his basic attack for things like Flanked and his Scrapper Follow-Up is an AOE attack. This will enrage any Bruisers, possibly before their next attack instead of after it had they chosen to attack him.

I would also bet that they will re-release Resue/Mk 42 Ironman/Iron Patriot War Machine for the Iron Man 3 Blu-Ray/DVD relese this month.

Scraper follow-ups don't cause enraged FYI.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

twistedmentat posted:

I took omega sentinel & modern Hawkeye and used a load of items, the holographic hand link that gives you extra turns and an evasion buff works really well as it means you can keep hitting them even if your attacks don't do massive damage. A decent shield is a good idea too as you get points for having life left at the end of the game. I also used a bunch of lost pages too but I do that almost every boss fight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I used Avengers Widow + Hawkeye and just threw items all over the place.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

CDW posted:

Cyc is *very* solid in pvp right now.

I've been running into him a LOT in PVP lately, and I can verify this.

In a related story, I will no longer call it "PVP." It shall henceforth be known as "All Aboard the Bullshit Train CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One thing I've found about using P5 Emma and SCott in pvp is that if i'm going to lose, i'm going to lose quickly. God nothing worse than the long rear end battles where you are getting plinked to death, and the other team is completely ignoring the damage you do.

So took my 4 days of farming to get all the acorns, and how many acorns have I gotten while doing 2-6 to beat fixer? 6 just today.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I got tired of trying to be fancy in PVP (and dropping into the 300s whoooooooooooo :toot:) and went back to Blaster Thor/P5 Emma. Unlock Potential + Strengthed buff + possible Cosmic Power = gently caress you game. Either I one shot the team and have a chance to win or Thor gets killed and I can reset my browser. Either way it'll be quick.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You know what PVP needs? A complete overhaul and rebalancing. But you know what PVP needs and wouldnt get the people who actualy buy gold to spend on PVP stuff up in arms, so could theoretically happen? A "Forfeit" button. At low levels I would occasionally get caught in a Human Torch vs Human Torch last heroes standing PVP battle and even now I get caught in a bad matchup which is going to kill me eventually but isnt doing damage to me particularly quickly. It would be nice if I could just click "Forfeit" and move on to the next match when I'm grinding out my 5 lockboxes instead of spending what seems like an age waiting for the AI to just finish me off already. It feels like its gotten worse in the last few seasons, I think its because I'm seeing more effects that happen automatically on attacks. So instead of turns going quickly every turn is "Attack. Generalised. Protect effect. Magnetised. Damage. Melt armour. Warbound. Enraged. Get back in the fight!" and so on. Individual turns take longer which is bad enough if you are winning, but is tedious as hell if you are getting murdered.

Of course you can just reload the game, but it doesnt always load for me first time (Probably because of l33thax to be fair) and even before I was using it I felt a bit bad because if they are beating me they should get the rating boost for doing it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I only just noticed there is a speed up text button in the controls, but its still not fast enough. Annoucements need ot happen all at once, and yea, there needs to be a forfit button.

Oh man, the Deadpool/Cable team up is being a bitch. Cable runs out of stamina, but keeps dieing because T-O virus hurts him as long as he's in it.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

twistedmentat posted:

I only just noticed there is a speed up text button in the controls, but its still not fast enough. Annoucements need ot happen all at once, and yea, there needs to be a forfit button.

Oh man, the Deadpool/Cable team up is being a bitch. Cable runs out of stamina, but keeps dieing because T-O virus hurts him as long as he's in it.

Try saving your level 9 power until just before you are about to run out of stamina. Use it, switch to psychic mode and use both psychic attacks regaining stamina so you you spend less time in psychic mode and lose less health.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'd be happy if PVP would just load fast enough that I don't get Flash error messages every time it tries.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I usually start by punching the 3rd guy with Aksani Arts to save stamina, then I keep shooting Deadpool with Plasma Rifle and let him protect me. By the time I go T-O he's usually dead and I can finish the fight off with 1 or 2 Psionic Spikes. Avoid Bodyslide and Temporal Shift early on. You don't want to run out of stamina too fast, boost Deadpool's regen too high, or invite counter attacks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SiKboy posted:

You know what PVP needs?
Phoenix to be removed from the game and thrown into the sun by the loving Sentry and then the sun gets nuked from orbit and then the resulting supernova is consumed by Galactus and then the atoms of White Phoenix are poo poo out and used as fertilizer for the grains in Super Skrull's corn flakes.

edit: And then the Watcher high fives Sentry on the moon and they both proceed planetside to brutally murder the entire staff of Playdom Inc

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 4, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Speaking of which, Sentry would make a pretty cool Spec Op character. The Void as a group boss makes sense, too.

Of course, no matter how they balance him, he'd likely be a total nightmare to go up against in PvP.

thread posters from the future posted:

Oh, of COURSE when it's down to a Sentry mirror match, Call of the Void procs on my side ONLY, and then the AI's Sentry hurls mine into the Sun three times in a row.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm honestly surprised that neather the 4 horsemen from Uncanny Avengers or anything from Infinity is spec ops. Though maybe they're saving that stuff for later.

Apocalypse and Thanos would make pretty bitchin' Group Bosses, or even the Apoc Twins, either fight them together, or you get to fight one of them Randomly. Not sure what the rewards for those would be though. Could be curing Banshee or Sentry and putting them on your team for the Apoc Twins, Infinity, maybe giving us Hyperion.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I just want Iceman and I don't want him to be some bullshit PVP lockbox hero.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

twistedmentat posted:

I'm honestly surprised that neather the 4 horsemen from Uncanny Avengers or anything from Infinity is spec ops. Though maybe they're saving that stuff for later.

Apocalypse and Thanos would make pretty bitchin' Group Bosses, or even the Apoc Twins, either fight them together, or you get to fight one of them Randomly. Not sure what the rewards for those would be though. Could be curing Banshee or Sentry and putting them on your team for the Apoc Twins, Infinity, maybe giving us Hyperion.

Apparently there's going to be an Infinity spec op, it'll probably be the next one not long after the current one finishes. The hero is some secret new character but I think we're due a group boss so yeah Hyperion would be cool.

I'm guessing after Infinity there'll be a Thor spec op for the new movie.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Eddain posted:

At this point they're just loving with us by withholding him.

Just beat the Spiderwoman heroic battle with her at only level 8. I was sick of leveling/playing her so I just gave it a go. Got all the Season 2 Ch. 1 junk and relieved I don't have to mess with her again. So for anyone who wants to try it before hitting level 9, if you go before Modok you should be good - he'll reset his clock almost every turn. Just put on vengeance and she should kill the other goons in 2 counters. Try spec'ing her attack and evasion. That's what I did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eddain posted:

Penance, Zak-Del, and Armless Tiger Man will be playable characters before Iceman.

I want Taskmaster (with bonus UDON alternate costume)!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SiKboy posted:

You know what PVP needs? A complete overhaul and rebalancing.

Syrinxx posted:

Phoenix to be removed from the game and thrown into the sun by the loving Sentry and then the sun gets nuked from orbit and then the resulting supernova is consumed by Galactus and then the atoms of White Phoenix are poo poo out and used as fertilizer for the grains in Super Skrull's corn flakes.
Some of you guys play Magic and other CCGs, right? AA is like if Magic never banned or errata'd anything, only worse.

I'm not convinced that it would actually hurt Playdom for people with different assets to be fenced off from each other, or for some characters and items to be nerfed or outright banned. It doesn't stop people from buying Magic cards.

quote:

It feels like its gotten worse in the last few seasons, I think its because I'm seeing more effects that happen automatically on attacks. So instead of turns going quickly every turn is "Attack. Generalised. Protect effect. Magnetised. Damage. Melt armour. Warbound. Enraged. Get back in the fight!" and so on. Individual turns take longer which is bad enough if you are winning, but is tedious as hell if you are getting murdered.
I can't agree with this enough. I haven't been playing long and I can already tell that characters are getting more complicated and that strategy is based around slapping on status effects and triggering counters, followups, and extra turns whenever possible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Reverand Me posted:

Apparently there's going to be an Infinity spec op, it'll probably be the next one not long after the current one finishes. The hero is some secret new character but I think we're due a group boss so yeah Hyperion would be cool.

I'm guessing after Infinity there'll be a Thor spec op for the new movie.

Yea, which will be cool, because we'll be thumping Dark Elves rather than Frost Giants. I'd figure Valstaag would be the heroes because after Thor, Sif and Brunnhilde, he's the Asguardian that gets the most attention. Well outside of Odin.

I could see an Infinity one going part 1 fighting stuff on earth, maybe Skrulls, second part fighting the builders, and the third being Thanos and his servants. If its a new character, Hyperion, Smasher, Captain Universe, Eden, they all could be added.

Happy birthday to me, thanks for the 20cp!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, which will be cool, because we'll be thumping Dark Elves rather than Frost Giants. I'd figure Valstaag would be the heroes because after Thor, Sif and Brunnhilde, he's the Asguardian that gets the most attention. Well outside of Odin.

I could see an Infinity one going part 1 fighting stuff on earth, maybe Skrulls, second part fighting the builders, and the third being Thanos and his servants. If its a new character, Hyperion, Smasher, Captain Universe, Eden, they all could be added.

Sounds just a bit too ambitious. In all likelihood the Maggia and Hellfire Club will somehow get involved just so they don't have to make new assets for an entire new group of mooks.

I bet they've been wanting to build up to the cosmic stuff (the GotG, Skrulls, Silver Surfer, Thanos, Galactus) in PvE so they could ease it into the game, but suddenly, Infinity. We haven't had any aliens at all up until now, have we?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Had five lockboxes going into today, finished my PVP for five more. Then I got ten more on my bonus spin !!! :unsmith:

So of course I got two duplicates. I've been stuck on 7/8 for a week now while making sure to get my five wins in every day :smith:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Devo posted:

Had five lockboxes going into today, finished my PVP for five more. Then I got ten more on my bonus spin !!! :unsmith:

So of course I got two duplicates. I've been stuck on 7/8 for a week now while making sure to get my five wins in every day :smith:

The lockbox nightmare only begins when you get at 7/8 or even 6/8. I try to save them up and open them together, instead of getting a little frustrated every time I open a batch of 10.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Devo posted:

I know it's all random and bullshit, but nowadays I always open mine 1 by 1 and it's worked out a lot better for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fred is on posted:

Sounds just a bit too ambitious. In all likelihood the Maggia and Hellfire Club will somehow get involved just so they don't have to make new assets for an entire new group of mooks.

I bet they've been wanting to build up to the cosmic stuff (the GotG, Skrulls, Silver Surfer, Thanos, Galactus) in PvE so they could ease it into the game, but suddenly, Infinity. We haven't had any aliens at all up until now, have we?

They did give us all those cool demons in a spec ops, and the Hellfire grunts are from the Emma spec ops.

But yea, I could see them waiting for a bit so they can have it all tied in with GotG. Like they WON'T give us Rocket Raccoon as a character.

Somedays PVP just works. QS does his attacks, each time at least one of my team gets Scotts bonus turn. Yea, keep attacking dummy, its not helping. And i just realized Scotts basic attack gives flanked, I've just been using Wide beam.

And about Jean and her mental resistance, is not 100% effective like Mags or Juggs, but sometimes she gets hit with mental anguish, the debuff appears, but it just vanishes. I figure its being cleared by something else and its just not announcing it.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 4, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I golded my way to Ares. Should I bother with golding my way the Void Generator?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm wondering the same thing myself, considering I hear the Vindication is bugged, and that's almost enough to unlock Phoenix.

(Why is this game so determined that I must absolutely have Gambit and Rogue?)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Halloween Jack posted:

(Why is this game so determined that I must absolutely have Gambit and Rogue?)

Chapter 2 is basically playdom looking at which heroes people generally dont have (because they're boring and/or terrible) and going "You need all these!".
And as an added kick in the dick you get to level black knight and spiderwoman to 9.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rogue is terrible? She's not as good as she was when she was released, but she's not terrible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd describe both of them as "obsoleted by power creep" more than anything.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Here's a fun game, every time you fight a pvp battle that doesn't have a phoenix on it, smash your balls with a sledgehammer

Don't worry friends, your balls are as safe as houses.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Does Phoenix Cyclops count?

I think a lot of it is level-dependent. At around level 90 I see a lot of Cyclops, Iron Patriot War Machine, Wolverine, and Angel.

It's usually when I get matched up against someone with an already much higher PVP bonus that I start seeing Shadowcat, Rescue, and occasionally guys like Magneto.

By the way, Deadpool is funny but he pretty much killed my entire team singlehandedly both times I've fought him. Aside from the OP, Imba, etc. he seems to be a parody of the "Put ten status effects on everyone every time anything happens" problem they have, and the problem with doing something annoying as a parody is that it's still annoying.

Edit: I'm having a lot of fun with Ares. You would expect his powers to be lineup that amounts to "KILL YOU. KILL YOU WITH DEATH" like Wolverine's, but IME he's basically the Bruiser version of Union Jack, generating a lot of counters and followups with allies.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 5, 2013

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's just the Squirrel Girl tasks that are limited time, right? Once their done I can recruit her whenever?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Her quest line is worth it just for the dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Opopanax posted:

It's just the Squirrel Girl tasks that are limited time, right? Once their done I can recruit her whenever?

It's what I've been assuming, though I'll probably try to buy her as soon as I can just to stay on the safe side.

I have to wonder what it'll be like for people who miss the tasks, though. Maybe she'll be put on sale from time to time, like Spec Ops heroes, for 180 CP or something.

• Locked thread