Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Sicko spent like a thousand dollars to fly from europe to go to sgdq and not play games to raise money for charity right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Coyote Smith posted:

So what about the first marathon that was designed for the purpose of "hanging out with friends and playing games fast".

It has come along way. And the reality is, speedrunners can come and hang out with friends and have fun whether or not Windwaker is on the schedule. Whether or not Windwaker is on the schedule does make a big difference for random people watching and donating, however.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
For super metroid fans Apathae has been doing a very complete and detailed tutorial of running the 100% category. I play SM casually and have learned quite a bit in the last hour or so. He's been doing this for the last 4 hours and just found it. Check it out, or watch the vod later on. I don't know if this will go on youtube or not. I would hope so

Coyote Smith
Mar 26, 2010

Jakuvious posted:

It has come along way. And the reality is, speedrunners can come and hang out with friends and have fun whether or not Windwaker is on the schedule. Whether or not Windwaker is on the schedule does make a big difference for random people watching and donating, however.

Does it though? Is the speedrun watcher who is not a part of the speedrun community but watches marathons going to not donate just because a game is not in? Is someone who has a big enough heart to donate their own money to a charity, back out after finding that a game he likes isn't in the marathon? Do you honestly think that the people who would potentially donate will leave in a huff, blacklist whatever charity Uyama chooses for AGDQ2014 all because a game wasn't streamed? I doubt it! There is no reason for anyone to be upset that windwaker isn't in the marathon since they could look it up on youtube and watch the same thing from past marathons or even a world record (Yowza)!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Coyote Smith posted:

Does it though? Is the speedrun watcher who is not a part of the speedrun community but watches marathons going to not donate just because a game is not in? Is someone who has a big enough heart to donate their own money to a charity, back out after finding that a game he likes isn't in the marathon? Do you honestly think that the people who would potentially donate will leave in a huff, blacklist whatever charity Uyama chooses for AGDQ2014 all because a game wasn't streamed? I doubt it! There is no reason for anyone to be upset that windwaker isn't in the marathon since they could look it up on youtube and watch the same thing from past marathons or even a world record (Yowza)!
Do you have any concept at all of low impulse control?

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Coyote Smith posted:

It isn't an immature taking the ball and leaving sort of scenario like you're describing. It isn't that people will not donate to prove a point about the game not being there. It is about having an incentive to donate. These people were not donating all this money to the same charities before the marathon came around. They're donating because the marathon provides an opportunity, and an incentive to donate. People like donating during the runs of their favorite games or their favorite streamers. It isn't that people won't donate intentionally because WindWaker isn't there, it is that their reason to watch, and then donate, is removed by the lack of their favorite game/streamer. If it was purely about the charity, people would cut out the middle man and just, you know, donate to charity.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everybody is a rational actor who has perfect information, got it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Let's talk about funnier speedrun drama. The Cosmo/Yashichi thing reminded me of this.

The Japanese version of Bomberman Hero is faster than the NA version, like many JP versions. Kirkq, who held the version-independent WR, played the NA version because he prefers NA versions in general. This left room to beat his record pretty easily with a mediocre run on the JP version, but no one had bothered. Until, one fateful day, Yashichi bought a JP cart and announced his intentions on a forum somewhere.

Kirkq got wind of this and bought a JP cart of his own. He did a low-effort run that still shattered his old record and uploaded it to YouTube, but as an unlisted video. A few weeks later, Yashichi did a run and tweeted about it, which prompted the best Twitter reply of all time (scroll down; Kirk's reply was 1 minute after the original tweet). The top comment on Kirkq's video is also very worthy.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

pksage posted:

Let's talk about funnier speedrun drama. The Cosmo/Yashichi thing reminded me of this.

The Japanese version of Bomberman Hero is faster than the NA version, like many JP versions. Kirkq, who held the version-independent WR, played the NA version because he prefers NA versions in general. This left room to beat his record pretty easily with a mediocre run on the JP version, but no one had bothered. Until, one fateful day, Yashichi bought a JP cart and announced his intentions on a forum somewhere.

Kirkq got wind of this and bought a JP cart of his own. He did a low-effort run that still shattered his old record and uploaded it to YouTube, but as an unlisted video. A few weeks later, Yashichi did a run and tweeted about it, which prompted the best Twitter reply of all time (scroll down; Kirk's reply was 1 minute after the original tweet). The top comment on Kirkq's video is also very worthy.

How has this never been told here, that's awesome. Calling it "The Billy Mitchell" is loving fantastic.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Hey guys PJ is streaming Super GnG attempts https://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Hahahahaha pksage, that is amazing.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Crotch Bat posted:

Not particularly sure why the game needs to change a lot to merit return. Mirrored spent 5 hours ruining last year's run to the point where it is now all that is referenced in regards to that game in terms of the marathon. Cosmo's a very entertaining runner and quite frankly I couldn't care how much or little the game has changed if he's allowed the time to sit down and make it the fun experience it should be and I doubt I'm alone on this aspect.

For a newbie, what did Mirrored do?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Golbez posted:

For a newbie, what did Mirrored do?
He managed a decent run of Windwaker despite some other dude holding the controls and interrupting him every hour or so.

Let me try again:
He tried to be the knowledgeable guy-on-the-couch but Cosmo really didn't need any help. It was super awkward and he pointed out Cosmo's mistakes and talked about how he also did WW speedruns and talked over Cosmo and Cosmo stopped being Cosmo and didn't enjoy the run or really talk much. The atmosphere tanked and you could tell Cosmo sort of gave up on commentating his own run, which he does all the time on stream, after he specifically confronted Mirrored and said he'd like to talk and Mirrored shut up for all of ten minutes or so before going right back to it.

edit: I lied he was very circumspect in saying "swamped by other people talking" although Mirrored got the hint without taking the message really

kaschei fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 5, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And when the run ended and the thank yous and all that stuff started, Mirrored tried to point out more of Cosmo's mistake and Cosmo basically told him to shut it.

Mirrored just kinda dropped off the face off the earth after that.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I suspect the Cosmo/Yashichi thing might have something to do with the fact that Yashichi really obviously wants to bone down on Cosmo's girlfriend and says things to her like "have you ever megaflipped over Cosmo's gap"

The Face Of Cuckolding

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

pksage posted:

The WR-centric attitude is pretty lovely in my opinion. I mean, play the JP version because it's more optimal, sure, but at least own up to it by saying something like "WR, but X run is actually better, just on a slower version" etc.

Of course if that tweet is actually intended to be taken humorously then ignore me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I suspect the Cosmo/Yashichi thing might have something to do with the fact that Yashichi really obviously wants to bone down on Cosmo's girlfriend and says things to her like "have you ever megaflipped over Cosmo's gap"

The Face Of Cuckolding

They know each other in real life?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

kaschei posted:

He managed a decent run of Windwaker despite some other dude holding the controls and interrupting him every hour or so.

Let me try again:
He tried to be the knowledgeable guy-on-the-couch but Cosmo really didn't need any help. It was super awkward and he pointed out Cosmo's mistakes and talked about how he also did WW speedruns and talked over Cosmo and Cosmo stopped being Cosmo and didn't enjoy the run or really talk much. The atmosphere tanked and you could tell Cosmo sort of gave up on commentating his own run, which he does all the time on stream, after he specifically confronted Mirrored and said he'd like to talk and Mirrored shut up for all of ten minutes or so before going right back to it.

edit: I lied he was very circumspect in saying "swamped by other people talking" although Mirrored got the hint without taking the message really

It wasn't a confrontation, it was pretty timid, and Mirrored was specifically appointed as couch commentary so he was just doing what he thought he was supposed to. Then for the rest of the run, instead of saying anything, Cosmo just pouted into the camera as if Mirrored could see his body language while sitting behind him. Cosmo didn't speak out until he went home and said he flew all the way to agdq to have "a lovely boring run" so I think there was a heavy sense of entitlement towards the atmosphere expectations (like Cosmo blaming donations comments for distracting him in the 'confrontation' above, as if they would just stop reading them for 4 hours). Despite everyone else having to adjust to the chaos (I remember my Mischief Makers run was like 80% donation comments), Mirrored paid the price for disrupting Cosmo's ideal, and the entire community lashed out against him. Say what you want about his commentary, but I think Mirrored really did not deserve to get run out of the community for just trying to contribute to the marathon.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It seems like the whole thing could have been avoided if Cosmo had politely but directly asked him to stop commentating. It would have been a little awkward right then, but presumably would have been quickly forgotten afterward.

EDIT: vvv He didn't do it directly at all, he sort of weaseled around it as if he were speaking to the ether. I thought he should have been explicit in speaking to mirrored and asked him to just abstain from further commentary completely. It may have still chilled the room I guess, but it doesn't strike me as impolite if he just nicely asked.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 5, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Except he basically did. And then Mirrored went right back into it about an hour later.

But yep, it's all Cosmo's fault, it's not like he can be a cheery individual when he's not being shoehorned in on (like during his OOT any% run). :v:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Isn't Mirrored the guy who would re-stream Cosmo's runs and critique them like he's a football coach watching film?

Jeffrey posted:

It seems like the whole thing could have been avoided if Cosmo had politely but directly asked him to stop commentating. It would have been a little awkward right then, but presumably would have been quickly forgotten afterward.

EDIT: vvv He didn't do it directly at all, he sort of weaseled around it as if he were speaking to the ether. I thought he should have been explicit in speaking to mirrored and asked him to just abstain from further commentary completely. It may have still chilled the room I guess, but it doesn't strike me as impolite if he just nicely asked.

Aren't Mirrored words something along the lines of "Do you want me to stop talking? Alright." or close to it? I'm 99% sure Mirrored was made aware even in an indirect sense and like 10-15 minutes later he starts up again.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 5, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Crotch Bat posted:

Isn't Mirrored the guy who would re-stream Cosmo's runs and critique them like he's a football coach watching film?

Yep.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Less drama, more speedruns! Like 0xwas running SMRPG arbitrary 100%: http://www.twitch.tv/0xwas

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I swear I overheard on the mics someone informing the commentator right after Cosmos run that the Triforce thing Mirrored made as a prize was no longer available as a prize. :tinfoil:

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

hitze posted:

I swear I overheard on the mics someone informing the commentator right after Cosmos run that the Triforce thing Mirrored made as a prize was no longer available as a prize. :tinfoil:

Isn't that standard procedure on prizes in the marathons? There's a window to donate for a prize and the cutoff has to be somewhere, and it's typically after the related game ends.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Don't forget Mirrored's choice, the most self centered donation incentive ever. Not only that, but when it failed he ran another donation incentive to reveal what it was. I'm not convinced he even knew the name from the beginning, it was just a cry for attention. If he did know the name being upfront that he wanted to name the character after his mother who had cancer would have pulled in way more donations and not made him look like a prick.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Don't forget Mirrored's choice, the most self centered donation incentive ever. Not only that, but when it failed he ran another donation incentive to reveal what it was. I'm not convinced he even knew the name from the beginning, it was just a cry for attention. If he did know the name being upfront that he wanted to name the character after his mother who had cancer would have pulled in way more donations and not made him look like a prick.

Wow. Calling something that raised over 20k for cancer prevention self centered and a cry for attention is cynical even by my standards.

Both the mirroreds choice and the reveal brought tons of excitement and money to the marathon. The mystery hyped the run for thousands of people and the spur of the moment way he asked for donations to reveal worked perfectly from a fundraising standpoint.

I believe I heard him say afterwards that when he started the inscentive it was just a way to make something compete with FrankerZ to make more donation money, like killing/saving animals war raises so much. After a day or two he came up with a name and even though it didn't get used, he told everyone what it was after raising even more money for the charity and in a fun way.

Cosmo put all his donations to naming the Twighlight Princess file his own name at SGDQ if you wanna call raising money for charity self-centered. I could mention a lot of other things one could deem self-centered that he does outside of these marathons but I like the guy and his stream and understand his approach to making money off it as wise and honest.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It was his attitude and smugness about it all, and like I said if he told the story about his mom and why he wanted to name the character that up front it probably would have raised as much if not more money.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Much like UltraJMan and that other guy, Mirrored has done me a lot less harm than the people who keep making this thread bad by talking about him have.

I'm no marathonologist, but obviously they're going to have some runs in there that are known crowd-pleasers, since they want to raise as much money as possible and all, and obviously that includes things that Cosmo gets a lot of viewers for.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I dunno if I want to watch the main marathon at this point, there's 12 hours of Awful Games to be had and I'm going to watch em all.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

furry drum circle posted:

It wasn't a confrontation, it was pretty timid, and Mirrored was specifically appointed as couch commentary so he was just doing what he thought he was supposed to. Then for the rest of the run, instead of saying anything, Cosmo just pouted into the camera as if Mirrored could see his body language while sitting behind him. Cosmo didn't speak out until he went home and said he flew all the way to agdq to have "a lovely boring run" so I think there was a heavy sense of entitlement towards the atmosphere expectations (like Cosmo blaming donations comments for distracting him in the 'confrontation' above, as if they would just stop reading them for 4 hours). Despite everyone else having to adjust to the chaos (I remember my Mischief Makers run was like 80% donation comments), Mirrored paid the price for disrupting Cosmo's ideal, and the entire community lashed out against him. Say what you want about his commentary, but I think Mirrored really did not deserve to get run out of the community for just trying to contribute to the marathon.

So long as he doesn't lash out at Blueglass, I think the speedrunning community should be fine :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shabadu posted:

I dunno if I want to watch the main marathon at this point, there's 12 hours of Awful Games to be had and I'm going to watch em all.

There's an entire marathon being organized that's gonna be nothing but bad games, so you're in luck. :v:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

There's an entire marathon being organized that's gonna be nothing but bad games, so you're in luck. :v:
I was just about to say that Awful Games should be its own separate thing, so this is great news. :)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Let's combine Cosmo and speedruns with this awesome video Cosmo tweeted about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54iInYhelg4

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Murphagator is recording commentary for a couple recent runs he did recently.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bit out of left field, but is there any word on if there's going to be another Kings of Poverty event? I enjoyed the one last year a hell of a lot and I'd love to see it happen again.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Wadjamaloo posted:

speedrun_thread.txt

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fungah! posted:

Bit out of left field, but is there any word on if there's going to be another Kings of Poverty event? I enjoyed the one last year a hell of a lot and I'd love to see it happen again.
I know Spooky and Funkdoc both said they really enjoyed doing it and would want to do another, but I'm not sure when they'll do another.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The biggest hurdle, if I remember correctly, is that they would need to find a better venue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Funkdoc is also mega busy since he got an internship.

Chances are we may not see him again at these events. :smith:

• Locked thread