Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Guy Looking To Feel Horrible About Aspect Of Everyday Life Decides To Watch Documentary

I feel this way whenever I go to my local news website!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Royal Baby Already Making New Friends

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Royal Baby articles will never stop being funny.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ariel Castro Failed By System

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God Feeling Down in Dumps after Death of Grandmother

I love this one, just for the various references to a clearly large extended family.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
To Ensure Every Child Wins, Youth Soccer Association Removes Ball

...wait a second.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

This is based on a satirical article, although news sites have been publishing the story without that clarification for clickbait.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Poll: Majority Of Americans Approve Of Sending Congress To Syria

"When asked if they believe that Sen. Rand Paul should be deployed to Syria, 100 percent of respondents said yes."

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This is based on a satirical article, although news sites have been publishing the story without that clarification for clickbait.

Oh thank god. I knew it couldn't possibly be real. So basically the CBC completely made this story up, because in their version it's a youth soccer organization in Ontario. Wonderful.

E: never mind, I didn't read it closely enough and got confused by it being the Washington Times.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wal-Mart Announces Plan To Slash Customers’ Throats

Can't wait to see this one on Literally Unbelievable.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Man Puts Glass Of Water On Bedside Table In Case He Needs To Make Huge Mess In Middle Of Night

The Onion is the only paper that really gets the plight of the area man.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Here's The One True Way To Heaven by Pope Francis I.

I really hope they run with this like they did with Diamond Joe.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Study: Average Person Becomes Unhinged Psychotic When Alone In Own House

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Sometimes I'm blown away by how how far they're willing to push it.

New Subway Promotion To Honor Subtember 11

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

internet celebrity posted:

Was just coming here to post that. :bravo: Onion

quote:

“From the Structural Steel Melt on Tower 7–Grain bread to the Twin Chowers cold cut combo with Ground Zero–Carb vinaigrette on a Let’s Whole Wheat Roll, we’ve got something for everybody this Subtember 11.”

:lol:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Normally, I don't think the videos that accompany text articles on the Onion really add anything other than crashing my browser sometimes, but this time, it was totally worth it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Onion:
Person Of Interest Gets Away From George Zimmerman

Real news:
George Zimmerman's wife files for divorce

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
There's been criticism toward the Onion from Slate and Salon recently, about the tonal change in their humor and its reliance on twitter baiting timely-topics, political slants, and shock humor.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/09/changes_at_the_onion_america_s_finest_news_source_adjusts_to_internet_speed.html
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/09/06/a_final_word_on_the_new_dry_onion.html
http://www.salon.com/2013/05/09/has_the_onion_gotten_mean/

The articles claim this is a result of the moving the creative side from NY to join corporate HQ in Chicago (losing many old key writers). This accompanied many procedural changes in the writing process to accommodate the internet. (more content, faster, less editing).

I wouldn't say its necessarily "less funny" (I've been reading the Onion since the late 90s, when i found at stack on my friends older brother's toilet), but I do agree, its humor style has shifted. It used to rely more on cleverness and absurd, surrealistic humor. They are going for the gut punch more often, have a Daily Show-like editorial voice, and the "area man" humor seems to aim for a "thats so me!" reaction.

CatchrNdRy has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Sep 6, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

If you're like me and only chuckle at the headlines in this thread and keep on scrolling. Please click this. The picture on top is fantastic.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

This is beautiful, and so close to being something a business would actually try. A local pizza place where I live once did a Remembrance Day special and had a giant sign out front that said:

LEST WE FORGET...

THAT VERN'S HAS GREAT 2 FOR 1 DEALS ON LARGE PIZZAS!

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Whoever designed that graphic is a goddamn genius, I nearly howled with laughter here at the office.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Dear lord this is amazing. It's incredibly surreal that we can make light of a terrible terrorist attack and with it get great laughs.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

I've never posted in this topic before but I saw this on the Onion and immediately thought "I have to post this".

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
World War II Documentary Suffused With Anti-Nazi Undertones
It's great because the location they chose has a very high Jewish population.

Also on September 11th I'm going to go into a Subway and hand them that picture.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I enjoyed this short one for the unexpected final line:

R.A. Has Bad Feeling About Kid In Cloak

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

This is magical :allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Reminds me of Giuliani To Run For President Of 9/11.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This remains the best Guiliani thing they ever did:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Lego Introduces First Female Scientist Figure

“I’ve got a town full of Lego men who are going to be real happy about that.”

Casper Faires –
Botanist

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

CatchrNdRy posted:

There's been criticism toward the Onion from Slate and Salon recently, about the tonal change in their humor and its reliance on twitter baiting timely-topics, political slants, and shock humor.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/09/changes_at_the_onion_america_s_finest_news_source_adjusts_to_internet_speed.html
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/09/06/a_final_word_on_the_new_dry_onion.html
http://www.salon.com/2013/05/09/has_the_onion_gotten_mean/

The articles claim this is a result of the moving the creative side from NY to join corporate HQ in Chicago (losing many old key writers). This accompanied many procedural changes in the writing process to accommodate the internet. (more content, faster, less editing).

I wouldn't say its necessarily "less funny" (I've been reading the Onion since the late 90s, when i found at stack on my friends older brother's toilet), but I do agree, its humor style has shifted. It used to rely more on cleverness and absurd, surrealistic humor. They are going for the gut punch more often, have a Daily Show-like editorial voice, and the "area man" humor seems to aim for a "thats so me!" reaction.

I think the fact that this thread has turned into "Post whatever amazing thing the Onion ran today" puts the lie to these articles. They've got to run something in their culture columns; might as well be "Has The Onion Declined In Quality?"

The Salon one in particular annoys me for calling this year's Tony Award blurb "tone-dead" and "not terribly acquainted with the current theater scene"; I lost count of how many of my friends in said scene gleefully shared it on FB.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Salon has to do something to fill the time between sessions of bitching about Patton Oswalt, might as well complain about the Onion.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They're totally right about some recent articles being insufferable :jerkbag: about how liberal the author is, but classic Onion could be just as smug and condescending. If anything it's only the past few years where they reached a good level of balance between humor and opinion, and it does kind of suck that they're sliding back into that "Haha, yeah, America really is like a dictatorship isn't it? Pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" opining, only with the added benefit of seeming to focus more on making stories that wind up on Literally Unbelievable than actually being funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If anything the internet age has made the onion slightly less consistent. I'd say the Onion was funny almost 100% of the time back in the 90's and now maybe 2 out of 10 jokes are kind of meh, while rest are still great. They have definitely shifted their tone and degraded in quality to some extent over the years though. Luckily I don't think they are even close to jumping the shark or anything. I still think The Onion is just about the funniest thing out there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blood...Blood Everywhere

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I have been reading about the Onion going downhill since about 2002.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nation’s Female Joggers Know They Will One Day Be Assaulted, Buried In Woods

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They're totally right about some recent articles being insufferable :jerkbag: about how liberal the author is, but classic Onion could be just as smug and condescending. If anything it's only the past few years where they reached a good level of balance between humor and opinion, and it does kind of suck that they're sliding back into that "Haha, yeah, America really is like a dictatorship isn't it? Pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" opining, only with the added benefit of seeming to focus more on making stories that wind up on Literally Unbelievable than actually being funny.

Nah not really

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

I know this type of article isn't exactly unheard of from The Onion, but... does anyone else think they're becoming more frequent? It's almost as though their most over-the-top articles have been coming true so often that they've jumped straight into Eldritch terror so as to avoid being prophetic.

I guess I'll sit here rocking quietly while I await Blood...Blood Everywhere becoming reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nation’s Math Teachers Introduce 27 New Trig Functions
All Graduating Students Must Master Gamsin, Negtan, Cosvnx, 24 Others