Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I am the Driftwood Crips. The projections are bullshit, I'm playoff-bound bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

tau posted:

Fantasy teams matched to usernames:

Bonerhitler Johnsons - tau
Cruzin' to Victory - mikerasol
Driftwood Crips - ???????????????????????????????????????????
Lally's Legit Team - js
Not a Law Pun - Sir John Falstaff
Pro Se Patriots - evilweasel
Romo's VinegarStros - Roger_Mudd
Sober Karaoke Diva - Athenry
Southern Ivy - HiddenReplaced
The Bar - C0pernic
The Placeholders - cendien(?)
The Wise Teen - ???????????????????????????????????????????
Revolving Door - oh wait that's right I forgot Soothing Vapors is a baby back bitch who isn't playing fantasy this year

Yep - that's me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Talked with the head of the trial lawyers association in town today. He told me the smart thing to do would be quit my firm and join up with someone else to learn how to work up a case properly.

What are your thoughts?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Mons Hubris posted:

The Wise Teen is me, had a username change sorry!

I thought it was, but couldn't put your name to the avatar. Thanks!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Aha. It would've been funnier if you hadn't revealed yourself, and instead taunted the gently caress out of everyone all season long.

But thanks.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CaptainScraps posted:

Talked with the head of the trial lawyers association in town today. He told me the smart thing to do would be quit my firm and join up with someone else to learn how to work up a case properly.

What are your thoughts?
what does that mean?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Linguica posted:

what does that mean?

"Go work for someone else instead of keeping your shingle out there. If you're going to do personal injury, you need to specialize in it. Go work with someone who only does PI to learn how to do it right."

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

CaptainScraps posted:

"Go work for someone else instead of keeping your shingle out there. If you're going to do personal injury, you need to specialize in it. Go work with someone who only does PI to learn how to do it right."

Sounds like a good idea to me, but actually finding someone who wants to mentor you is probably the hardest part of that plan.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I started working today as a lawyer. I will be doing the same things I was doing before I started law school (patent prep and pros). Three years and 200k well spent. At least my salary doubled.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I am applying for jobs in the UK and sent out what I think was a perfect CV and cover letter to a firm I'm interested in joining. And mentioned the wrong firm in the last line of the email these are attached to.

Welp, better cross them off the list. First mistake I have made but still really annoying. Thats what happens when you break the golden rule - always sit on an application for at least a day after writing it to check it with fresh eyes. gently caress.

So far I am at 12 apps, 10 responses, 0 interviews.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Is that guy hiring

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mattavist posted:

Is that guy hiring

gently caress no. I would work for him in a heartbeat.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

What are your thoughts?

I was told this as well. Hence my interview on Friday. :(

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

Welp, better cross them off the list. First mistake I have made but still really annoying. Thats what happens when you break the golden rule - always sit on an application for at least a day after writing it to check it with fresh eyes. gently caress.
Even doing that, when you review, you may end up reading what you intended to write instead of what is actually on the page. The best thing to do is to have someone you trust, and who is detail-oriented, do a check for you.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Hi thread, it's been ages again. Last time I posted in here i was two weeks out of UBC and unemployed.

I did little research and fill in the blank jobs for lawyers over the summer, plus a great translation project that had nothing to do with the law, but paid the rent. By late September I was borrowing money from the parents and still had nothing to look forward to job-wise.

My best friend (who had a job by October of Third Year) wouldn't let me quit applying though. She'd come over and hit me with a stick until I printed and signed all those cover letters.

Finally in October I got a callback from a Criminal practitioner in the Fraser Valley and by December 1 I was doing my articles.

That was 2011. Now I still work with the same solo practitioner, but we are now Loblaw&Associates (Not Loblaw&Nichol, yet...)

I don't make as much as I would if I was in a corporate or boutique gig, but I eat what I catch and I absolutely love my job. It's a bit of a cowboy world but the clients are (mostly) great and the work is just downright fun.

Not everyone I went to school with has been as lucky though. A few never got law jobs and some have left the law to find some other work (farming, teaching, answering government hotlines...)

Anyway, lawgoon success story (SO FAR)

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Nichol posted:

Anyway, lawgoon success story (SO FAR)

:hfive:

That sounds a lot like my story. The semi-self-employed crim game owns owns owns.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
The never ending supply of stupid criminals is nice.

I was dealing with one person the other day who was complaining about how my principle didn't change the address on their bail fast enough and now they were in jail. I then pointed out that the real reason they were in jail (again) was because they were caught trying to wheel a 50" TV out of Best Buy without paying.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
So that's four Canadian crim defence law goons? You would thinks that's the only area of law we practice up here.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

CaptainScraps posted:

What are your thoughts?

I find that people who say things like this are often completely out of touch with the current job market, or out of touch with how difficult it is to try to pay your own way as an adult while working at indentured apprenticeship rates for someone else (who often will be an absolutely lovely teacher in the first place).

It's easy to say, "Go find someone who can teach you how to work up a case properly." I find that the people who say those types of things tend to start hemming and hawing when you ask, "Who exactly is giving out those opportunities? No, specifically, who should I go to for that, because I've looked around and I don't see anything good."

If they say anything, it's usually the typical, "Put yourself out there, network, work your alumni connections," type of babble. Which is great, but for a lot of people, they are doing that and still not finding the types of opportunity that he is suggesting you should just magically find.

Now maybe I'm wrong and you have one of those magical opportunities in your back pocket that you just aren't using for some reason, in which case great, have at it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

When you're looking for a job everybody loves to give advice, but nobody's going to actually help you. It's all ego stroking.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Holy gently caress

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

tau posted:

Holy gently caress

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

tau posted:

Holy gently caress

It looks pretty bad for Mons Hubris in that matchup.

On a different note, I've been doing callback interviews and every single one has asked me about work life balance. I'm not exactly sure what to tell them.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I started Eric Decker instead of Welker too. I'm mega hosed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mikeraskol posted:

On a different note, I've been doing callback interviews and every single one has asked me about work life balance. I'm not exactly sure what to tell them.

That you'll relax when you make partner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

What sort of question do they ask about it?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a new one: reporting an attorney to OED because I found out he had been arrested for trying to pick up a 14 year old online when I was googling a phone number for him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

evilweasel posted:

What sort of question do they ask about it?

They are asking either about the amount of hours I've worked so far in the year, or just straight out ask what the work-life balance at the firm is like. For some reason I think they like asking me that question because I'm a first year as compared to their other interviews which are with senior associates and partners.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

They are asking either about the amount of hours I've worked so far in the year, or just straight out ask what the work-life balance at the firm is like. For some reason I think they like asking me that question because I'm a first year as compared to their other interviews which are with senior associates and partners.

For some reason I thought you were the one looking for the job, not conducting the interview. That makes way more sense.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

evilweasel posted:

For some reason I thought you were the one looking for the job, not conducting the interview. That makes way more sense.

I phrased my post pretty poorly.

I just found it a weird question to ask, it's not something I would have asked during a callback interview.

Edit: That's exactly what I mean. There are a bunch of places to find out that information, I would never risk asking the question during a callback interview. But everyone I have interviewed so far has asked.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 6, 2013

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

I phrased my post pretty poorly.

I just found it a weird question to ask, it's not something I would have asked during a callback interview.

It's not really, everyone wants to know it. It's just incredibly bad form to ask.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I had a interview with a partner at a local firm today. I'll find out if I get an interview with all the partners in 3-4 weeks.

Lameo.

edit: asked about work/life balance

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I had a interview with a partner at a local firm today. I'll find out if I get an interview with all the partners in 3-4 weeks.

Lameo.

edit: asked about work/life balance

What a sack of crap. At this point, either they want you or they don't. Fuckers.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Here's a new one: reporting an attorney to OED because I found out he had been arrested for trying to pick up a 14 year old online when I was googling a phone number for him.

Even if the pickup attempt was in chatspeak, I think they're more focused on describing the English language than policing it.

Also, meth is bad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh man, is that from the guy (in Arizona I think) who assembles chronologically the mugshots of people brought in for meth related crimes? I heard about that on the meth episode of Stuff You Should Know and have been meaning to check that out.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

Even if the pickup attempt was in chatspeak, I think they're more focused on describing the English language than policing it.

Also, meth is bad.

Wrong OED

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Yeah, googling revealed it was a characteristically dense (but distinctive) nomenclature for "The Patent Bar"

But isn't using the abbreviation an infringement/dilution/confusion of the OED?

Don't do crack either.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

evilweasel posted:

It's not really, everyone wants to know it. It's just incredibly bad form to ask.

I've always asked about hours requirements/expectations. You can find out the official firm policy online, but the only way to know what is actually required is to ask. I've never thought the topic itself is off limits, though there are certainly bad ways to ask it:

Bad: "What's the work life balance, because I want to pop out lots of babies in the next couple years, so I'm all about flex time and going home early."

Not Bad: "Can you tell me what your average day is like." "How easy is it to meet the hours requirements?" "I see the firm offers 4 weeks of vacation, do attorneys usually take advantage of that?"

Also, it makes sense to ask these questions to peer-level attorneys, because they best at describing the actual working conditions at the firm.

Maybe I've just been lucky and the firms I've interviewed at have overlooked this faux pas.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joat mon posted:

Yeah, googling revealed it was a characteristically dense (but distinctive) nomenclature for "The Patent Bar"

But isn't using the abbreviation an infringement/dilution/confusion of the OED?

not a use in commerce

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

evilweasel posted:

Our career services director told us to ask.

Just another absolutely retarded thing that a career services director who is completely out of touch with the real world would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

SlyFrog posted:

Our career services director told us to ask.

Just another absolutely retarded thing that a career services director who is completely out of touch with the real world would say.

I think it's important to get a sense of the work-life balance, but to get a sense through other questions like typical workdays and discussing hours. My advice would be to not use the words "work-life balance" because with some partners they are red flags. It's like Pee Wee Herman's Secret Word, except with a partner and the same Secret Word every day.