Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Hah, I didn't realise they managed to sneak in a "Metal Gear?" moment in the codecs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Night10194 posted:

I also really like Raiden's rebuttal about 'What the hell are you talking about, rich first world politician dude, I've actually lived in lawless hellholes' at the end there.

Yeah I really liked that bit.

Armstrong is trying to play at his idealized libertarian paradise without any real experience of how such a scenario would play out in real life.

Or he DOES know and he just doesn't give a drat because he's that bugfuck insane. :shepface:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Honestly I think the best part of this update was Ironicus freaking out about Otacon

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
I was waiting for this, I really was. Specifically for when Raiden goes "THE MEMES!" just to hear the reactions, but the rest of it was amazing.

Also, Armstrong has a LOT of lines, like he has a couple which nobody mentioned yet which I enjoy particularly like "THE GREATEST NATION DEMANDS YOUR BLOOD RAIDEN!" and "SORRY SON, UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU DEAD!" or something very close to that. There's still some to come that are even better, mind you!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raiden's reactions in general are pretty great once he starts fighting Armstrong in person. From his 'an ordinary human's gonna fight me?' to a 'oh god why am I getting my rear end beat by some guy :gonk:' to 'is this guy actually this insane?! :catstare:' He clearly has no idea what the gently caress. Much like the player.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Some great little animations in this sequence as well- BETRAYAL!!?? Armstrong gets me every time.

Geop posted it, but here it is again:

:monocle:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
"Don't gently caress with this senator" is the best line in the whole game. Bar none.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SWMadness posted:

Yeah I really liked that bit.

Armstrong is trying to play at his idealized libertarian paradise without any real experience of how such a scenario would play out in real life.

Or he DOES know and he just doesn't give a drat because he's that bugfuck insane. :shepface:

Like literally every libertarian, he does not know how terrible his utopia is.

Edit: A semi-relavent piece of libertarian film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fkdBz2bds

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Wicked Wall posted:

I was waiting for this, I really was. Specifically for when Raiden goes "THE MEMES!" just to hear the reactions, but the rest of it was amazing.

Also, Armstrong has a LOT of lines, like he has a couple which nobody mentioned yet which I enjoy particularly like "THE GREATEST NATION DEMANDS YOUR BLOOD RAIDEN!" and "SORRY SON, UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU DEAD!" or something very close to that. There's still some to come that are even better, mind you!

It's just an awesome boss fight. Even moreso when you figure out that you can dodge everything he does.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

The big twist that Armstrong isn't some Patriot mimic but actually an uber-powerful extreme libertarian/anarchist is basically my favourite moment in the entire series. Armstrong is just the best, the entire "Am I finally getting through?!" sequence is INCREDIBLE.

edit: And I always got the impression that he intended everybody to become super-powered machinemen like him and Raiden, also the whole anarchy angle doesn't seem like a thing that'd hold him back.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Satanos posted:

The big twist that Armstrong isn't some Patriot mimic but actually an uber-powerful extreme libertarian/anarchist is basically my favourite moment in the entire series. Armstrong is just the best, the entire "Am I finally getting through?!" sequence is INCREDIBLE.

edit: And I always got the impression that he intended everybody to become super-powered machinemen like him and Raiden, also the whole anarchy angle doesn't seem like a thing that'd hold him back.

The twist is that Revengeance is just an alternate-world prequel to Anarchy Reigns where Armstrong lost.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Just to let people know, I'm not gonna make everybody wait a week for the final boss. I'm gonna post the next update on Sunday.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

Just to let people know, I'm not gonna make everybody wait a week for the final boss. I'm gonna post the next update on Sunday.

:neckbeard:

You're good people, Chip Cheezum.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Chip Cheezum posted:

You're the best.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
When I first played this, I was told from a friend that the final boss was a Metal Gear. I don't think I can describe my reaction to the rest of the game in words. God bless you, Platinum Games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Chip Cheezum posted:

You're alright, Chip. Now when are you gonna do...that VR Mission?

EDIT:

Wait, I think you already did that.

Record it again :getin:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'm so glad you included that codec Chip I was gonna go nuts if you hadn't. I'd like to think Otacon's transformation into a beautiful ladies man means that he finally became the Anime of his dreams.

If anyone deserves a happy ending in Metal Gear it's him.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I also really like Raiden's rebuttal about 'What the hell are you talking about, rich first world politician dude, I've actually lived in lawless hellholes' at the end there.
Yeah that was the next best monologue shutdown besides that 'just stab him' thing I was saying Raiden should try someday. "gently caress you, your ridiculously MURRICA stance you're so proud of is exactly why you have no understanding of anything you're proposing" is loads better than the tried-n-true Solid Snake boss rebuttal strategy of just parroting the last word they say back at them for ten minutes in an increasingly bewildered voice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TheLoser posted:

"Don't gently caress with this senator" is the best line in the whole game. Bar none.

I believe you mean 'the best line from ALL games. Bar none.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Satanos posted:

Yeah, that's kinda what I picture his perfect America as, a place where everyone is a super-powered cyborg and all disputes whether big or small are settled via over the top high speed combat. You don't like Big Government? Under President Armstrong you'll have a high-tech cyborg body and arsenal of deadly weapons you can use to cut things down to size!

Also, I love the "Well... I don't write my own speeches," line. I can just picture him giving it the Bush style folksy charm while wishing he could just go ahead and break the president in half.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shyrka posted:

I love the "Well... I don't write my own speeches," line.

During this year's SA Gamedev competition, one team made a game called Steven Wordstrong in which you play as a speech copy editor for everyone's favorite superpowered senator. Might be worth a chuckle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Night10194 posted:

I might just be misremembering things, but isn't Armstrong's plan pretty much what Big Boss was going for in Outer Heaven and the like? A world where everyone is free to fight for what they believe in and all that crazy bullshit?

Big Boss wanted a stateless world where you could always fight with your best buddy without politicians getting in the way.

Armstrong wants a stateless world so nanomachine monsters and cyborgs can subjugate the norms through force and kickstart evolution.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Usually, I watch these videos and smile and occasionally laugh, but Armstrong hulking out and "Don't gently caress with this senator" complete with crowd cheers completely made me crack up.

Night10194 posted:

I might just be misremembering things, but isn't Armstrong's plan pretty much what Big Boss was going for in Outer Heaven and the like? A world where everyone is free to fight for what they believe in and all that crazy bullshit?

Well, Big Boss's ideal was just limited to soldiers soldier-ing around constantly on their ocean resort Mother Base. Armstrong's plan extends to everybody doing whatever they want all the time.

Also, that Sunny codec made me realize that Raiden is apparently that grandma who makes you feel uncomfortable by asking you if you have a boy/girlfriend at Thanksgiving.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Raiden's just a huge shipper. He secretly wishes Sunny answered him with "Yeah, he's FINALLY getting married to Snake."

Wait. Is that a giant tank and also spider? GIANT SPIDER WITH A TANK HEAD? WITH A SENATOR INSIDE?

At least Sunny would be proud of Raiden's cigar-splitting stance on smoking.

I am going to confess... I was worried about this fight. I was kinda half-spoiled that the senator was involved. So I was kinda afraid I'd not be surprised by anything in the fight. I WAS ENTIRELY INCORRECT, IT SEEMS. THIS IS AMAZING.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Night10194 posted:

Big Boss wanted to end disputes which pitted people who were on the same side against each other, such as Civil Wars and what happened with The Boss and The Cobras. Thus the creation of "A military without borders." Armstrong just wants a world where the rich crush the skulls of the poor. Both are equally infeasible and unjust, but one is both A) Evil and B) a thing people honestly believe in.

Chip Cheezum posted:

God bless us, everyone.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Chip Cheezum posted:

You're doin' God's work, son.

The Proofreader
May 24, 2010
God, this cutscene.

I've seen it like four times now, and I honestly still don't know if it's incredible, or unbearable.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Internet Janitor posted:

During this year's SA Gamedev competition, one team made a game called Steven Wordstrong in which you play as a speech copy editor for everyone's favorite superpowered senator. Might be worth a chuckle.

Yeah that was pretty fun. Thanks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was not expecting the senator to turn into Colossus from the X-Men. My favorite part is that Excelsus is just marketed as a Metal Gear to sell better, though.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So Excelsus isn't a Gear because it has no means of launching a nuke, right? Other than that I'm not sure why it wouldn't qualify.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Buried alive posted:

So Excelsus isn't a Gear because it has no means of launching a nuke, right? Other than that I'm not sure why it wouldn't qualify.

That's probably it, yeah. Geckos aren't technically Metal Gears either for the same reason.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Buried alive posted:

Well I don't think thats the only criteria, seeing as RAY can't launch nukes either.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Buried alive posted:

It was just a jab at themselves.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
The more I witness from this game, the more I love it and the madder I get at people who don't like it. What kind of soulless jerk would you have to be to not have fun every single second of this experience.

Also I was spoiled on who the final boss was but thankfully that didn't ruin the experience whatsoever.

(Also by the way I didn't intend for that Johnny derail a few pages ago, I was just wondering if MGS1/2/4 Johnny's dad was Johnny II or not basically, but whatever.)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

To reiterate: I really, really like the cutscenes in this update :v:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Geop posted:

Just look at that sincere smile

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Geop posted:

armstrong.gif

The exaggerated dust cloud amuses me the most for some reason.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well I don't think thats the only criteria, seeing as RAY can't launch nukes either.

Could it in MGS2? The RAY in this game was modified, so that was the reason it couldn't launch any now.

JamMasterJim posted:

Armstrong.jpeg

I wouldn't even be mad if that game had ended like that. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Could it in MGS2? The RAY in this game was modified, so that was the reason it couldn't launch any now.

RAY was specifically built as an anti-naval/anti-REX dealie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

RAY never could. RAY's purpose was to be the Anti-REX so I guess it got a water cannon as an anti-nuke weapon. :v:

• Locked thread