Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

snickles posted:

And make animal crossing free with purchase of the console as a sort of 'hub' for Nintendo stuff.

Why in the world would they make animal crossing free?? Isn't that one of their best selling franchises right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Esk1 posted:

We played coop with two wiimotes. To me the collusion is a balance for the fact you have two people and can Respawn. She wouldn't enjoy the building platforms stuff, actually wants to play the game, which is what using the game pad on Rayman kinda sounds like as well.

The Gamepad gameplay is cool in its own way, but it's still in the same vein as Mario Galaxy's Co-op-- really only one of you will be getting the real platforming experience, while the other still gets to interact with the game on some level.

Still beats playing as tails in old Sonic games though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I don't see why you'd complain about playing as Tails. You don't have to do all the tedious platforming, since Sonic's leaving you in the dust. And you get to fight all the bosses, while Sonic sits in the corner and tries not to get hit.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

pooch516 posted:

The Gamepad gameplay is cool in its own way, but it's still in the same vein as Mario Galaxy's Co-op-- really only one of you will be getting the real platforming experience, while the other still gets to interact with the game on some level.

Still beats playing as tails in old Sonic games though.

But it's just for certain levels? What happens when you use the game pad on normal levels.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Esk1 posted:

But it's just for certain levels? What happens when you use the game pad on normal levels.

Same as playing Mario co-op. Only you can't bounce off each other so there's less frustration when everyone needs to be on the same small platform. Everyone gets their own lum total which is combined for trophies and if you die your bubble eventually gets back to your partners so they can put you back in the game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Pikmin 3 kinda uses the tablet pad in a cool way. It's basically a minimap, and you can move your squads around through it like an RTS. But I feel it could have played the same/better if it wasn't there at all, through a pause menu or something.

Pikmin 3 is a great game, but there's just so much tedious poo poo and bad button design going on. They could have offset that with the touchscreen but instead they used the touchscreen to move around your guys, which is already easy as hell and could have been done through a pause menu.

Having the touchscreen with a slider that lets you throw, say, 30 blue pikmin in one pass would have been amazing.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

romanowski posted:

Why in the world would they make animal crossing free?? Isn't that one of their best selling franchises right now?

That is the flaw in my otherwise brilliant plan.

In my version of the world, free Animal Crossing hub world would lead to a sales increase of other software great enough to justify it being free. That's probably nonsense.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Seemed to work pretty well for Valve/TF2. That's not exactly a fair comparison, but still.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They could always do what Sony's doing with LittleBigPlanet in creating a free-to-play iteration with micro-transactions. XBLA Avatars and PlayStation Home pretty much proved people in the console space are ready and willing to pay for that kind of thing. I'll admit that sometimes I feel like I would rather throw my hands up and pay a quarter to get some piece of furniture instead of having to go bother people to order it for me in their game or hope that Timmy and Tommy will put it in stock one day.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

darkhand posted:

Having the touchscreen with a slider that lets you throw, say, 30 blue pikmin in one pass would have been amazing.

Lock-on to an enemy or object, then shake the Nunchuck.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I think I'd honestly prefer Nintendo to encourage a universal scoreboard for each game. Some iphone games do a really good job with having high score lists overall per mode/per level/per overall/per friends/etc. If they could do this without the scoreboards getting hacked it would be even cooler. Lots of XBLA games do this and it is an incredible feeling to jump to a higher tier on the Geometry Wars scoreboard or score towards the top on a less popular game.

Hell if they added this feature to NSMB2 (with a true scoreboard), I'd go buy it right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thedouche posted:

I think I'd honestly prefer Nintendo to encourage a universal scoreboard for each game. Some iphone games do a really good job with having high score lists overall per mode/per level/per overall/per friends/etc. If they could do this without the scoreboards getting hacked it would be even cooler. Lots of XBLA games do this and it is an incredible feeling to jump to a higher tier on the Geometry Wars scoreboard or score towards the top on a less popular game.

Hell if they added this feature to NSMB2 (with a true scoreboard), I'd go buy it right now.

Man, I wish I could play a XBL game where the scoreboards weren't hacked to death. :smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's pretty much any game with scoreboards honestly. It's a shame but it's almost impossible to come up with a completely foolproof system or at least one where the time you put into auth is worth the trouble.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
As of last year, I am on the very bottom of the leaderboard for the final stage of Beautiful Katamari. I made a JUST small enough ball to be the smallest, but JUST large enough to pass. I am so proud of myself.

I remember the Sonic Adventure scoreboards, where they were actually giving out real prizes for awesome times. Of course, the winners were all suspiciously completing stages in fractions of a second... hmmmmm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

snickles posted:

In my version of the world, free Animal Crossing hub world would lead to a sales increase of other software great enough to justify it being free. That's probably nonsense.
This was my argument for significantly lowering the Virtual Console prices, cause it gets people into the store and that can be the most difficult part. Once they're in there, you've got their attention for a while.

I don't know that i'd give away Animal Crossing but there are a couple of games you could apply the F2P/DLC model to that would keep people in the ecosystem. Kid Icarus has GOT to come over to Wii U as a F2P game, it has all of the structure of one already, you just need to put the pay wall in. And it would control so much better with twin sticks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It should be no surprise that an idea from a consumer on how to fix anything is to spend less money.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Astro7x posted:

It should be no surprise that an idea from a consumer on how to fix anything is to spend less money.

Steam is successful because I spend less than $10 a year on games!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Less money spent on something that doesn't matter so that they're in the store and then you can direct them to something they might purchase that actually does matter. The developers of The Adventures of Lolo are not biting their nails seeing what the sales of their 25 year old game ROM are, because they're not working on The Adventures of Lolo. It made its money a long time ago and everyone has moved on from project to project. But WayForward is biting their nails seeing what the sales of Ducktales Remastered are; it's a current release, they are trying to maintain a partnership with Disney to produce more titles down the road, there are jobs at stake. It's more important that people spend money on a current release than an old release where nothing is riding on it at all. Nintendo only loses if WayForward struggles as a publisher, because WayForward is one of the few publishers THAT SUPPORTS NINTENDO.

Every 5 posts during a Steam sale you'll see someone say "Uh, I went to buy this game and apparently I already own it. Oh nooooooooooo" and it's because the last time they bought something in a sale they saw that game and said "wellllll while i'm here I might as well". In the act of saving money people end up spending more money on impulse. And if Nintendo is not willing to put their own current releases on sale, then put the 20-25 year old games on sale. The money made on VC titles is not the kind of money Nintendo makes on, like, Mario Kart U. You mark them down and then have weekly sales on VC titles where you're pricing them at 99 cents, and people will come into the store every week. That's what you want.

Also F2P/DLC games generate a ton of money, it's just that there is a sizable group of people that will turn their nose up at anything F2P. It's also difficult to maintain game balance and keep what's behind the pay wall from creating a Pay To Win scenario. It can go south really easily. That's not a reason not to do it though. TF2 just keeps cranking out new useless cosmetic items and people KEEP BUYING THEM. That thing is an endless money generator.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 6, 2013

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Less money on something that doesn't matter so that they're in the store and then you can direct them to something they might purchase that actually does matter.

It's the Steam economy. Every 5 posts during a sale you'll see someone say "Uh, I went to buy this game and apparently I already own it. Oh nooooooooooo" and it's because the last time they bought something in a sale they saw that game and said "wellllll while i'm here I might as well". In the act of saving money people end up spending more money on impulse.

Also F2P/DLC games generate a ton of money, it's just that there is a sizable group of people that will turn their nose up at anything F2P. It's also difficult to maintain game balance and keep what's behind the pay wall from creating a Pay To Win scenario. It can go south really easily. That's not a reason not to do it though. TF2 just keeps cranking out new useless cosmetic items and people KEEP BUYING THEM. That thing is an endless money generator.

Steam is awesome because Gaben has complete control over both the rights and distribution of all Valve titles and can use them for economics experiments.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kid Icarus has GOT to come over to Wii U as a F2P game, it has all of the structure of one already, you just need to put the pay wall in. And it would control so much better with twin sticks.

Ruin really promisingly-balanced multiplayer with pay-to-win garbage, abandon the extremely effective control scheme (especially now that lefty controls wouldn't be tied into the CPP) in favor of garbage dual-analogue controls that are ALWAYS the worst possible form of aiming in any game, and... you're wrong. You are so loving wrong I can't believe it. If not for the fact that you evidently like Kid Icarus: Uprising (though based on this post I can't tell what you like about it), you'd be the most wrong you could possibly be.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I really wish I could play dual analog controls in a FPS or third-person shooter. Some exclusive titles on the PS3 and 360 are an exercise in frustration because I can't figure out how to use dual analog. I quit Bioshock on the 360 after about a week of playing it on and off because of that, and managed to finish it when I got a cheap PC copy years later. And I say all this as somebody that uses keyboard and mouse in FPS titles all the time, has no problem playing Goldeneye on the N64, and found Kid Icarus: Uprising's control scheme good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Ruin really promisingly-balanced multiplayer with pay-to-win garbage, abandon the extremely effective control scheme (especially now that lefty controls wouldn't be tied into the CPP) in favor of garbage dual-analogue controls that are ALWAYS the worst possible form of aiming in any game, and... you're wrong. You are so loving wrong I can't believe it. If not for the fact that you evidently like Kid Icarus: Uprising (though based on this post I can't tell what you like about it), you'd be the most wrong you could possibly be.
I figured the Kid Icarus community was small but impassioned but I had no idea it was this fervent. Very spirited.

These kind of posts make me smirk a little though, because it always implies that Nintendo will resort to the worst things like making a pay-to-win scenario, which means... you don't trust Nintendo to make a well-balanced F2P game? Do you think they're too incompetent to do it right?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 6, 2013

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I figured the Kid Icarus community was small but impassioned but I had no idea it was this fervent. Very spirited.

These kind of posts make me smirk a little though, because it always implies that Nintendo will resort to the worst things like making a pay-to-win scenario, which means... you don't trust Nintendo to make a well-balanced F2P game? Do you think they're too incompetent to do it right?

What parts of the Kid Icarus: Uprising, as it exists now, other than the weapons, would inspire a free-to-play infrastructure? Because a free-to-play system that involves weapon unlocks is always going to suffer imbalances, unless those weapons are very carefully hand-balanced to prevent it. KI:U's weapon system is NOT hand-designed, it's generational. It'd be a loving mess if any sort of real-money payment scheme were incorporated.

Now if Nintendo WERE to make an F2P game, Kid Icarus might well be a good franchise for it, but using Uprising's weapon mechanics to do so would be a disaster.

Oh, and do care not to use phrase like "very spirited". It makes you sound like a particularly grating James Bond villain, and not in a cool way. I do not appreciate being talked down to.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I really wish I could play dual analog controls in a FPS or third-person shooter. Some exclusive titles on the PS3 and 360 are an exercise in frustration because I can't figure out how to use dual analog. I quit Bioshock on the 360 after about a week of playing it on and off because of that, and managed to finish it when I got a cheap PC copy years later. And I say all this as somebody that uses keyboard and mouse in FPS titles all the time, has no problem playing Goldeneye on the N64, and found Kid Icarus: Uprising's control scheme good.

That's because dual-analogue aiming is, was, and always will be bad garbage. It'd be especially bad for KI:U's style of aiming, wherein the autoaim is a property of weapon balance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

B...but the Wii U has a touchscreen that can be used to emulate KI:U's current control scheme if you really wanted to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

deadwing posted:

B...but the Wii U has a touchscreen that can be used to emulate KI:U's current control scheme if you really wanted to.

Exactly! So why use the dual-analogues when the touchscreen is there? Provide the option, certainly - that's Sakurai's style - but why would anyone prefer it? Especially since the Wii U has the advantages of not having to mediate between differently-proportioned screens AND of having a guaranteed 2 more buttons than the 3DS (clicking the analogue, and a ZR/ZL) not dependent on the CPP)

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 6, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Dual analog games are just fine I'm not some weirdo who can't figure out how to move stick but using sticks in KI:U would suck. The aiming and movement would be so much slower and the pace of the gameplay would suffer considerably. The only control scheme that would be comparable to using a touchscreen would be keyboard + mouse. It's sorta like Quake 3 for the Dreamcast. You could play it with a controller and it would work techincally but hahahaha good loving luck trying to do anything against someone who was using a kb+m.

But like someone else said if they ever made a Wii U version (please make a Wii U version Nintendo I'd buy it again) then you could use either or so I don't see why DoctorWhat is freaking the gently caress out

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

Dual analog games are just fine I'm not some weirdo who can't figure out how to move stick but using sticks in KI:U would suck. The aiming and movement would be so much slower and the pace of the gameplay would suffer considerably. The only control scheme that would be comparable to using a touchscreen would be keyboard + mouse. It's sorta like Quake 3 for the Dreamcast. You could play it with a controller and it would work techincally but hahahaha good loving luck trying to do anything against someone who was using a kb+m.

But like someone else said if they ever made a Wii U version (please make a Wii U version Nintendo I'd buy it again) then you could use either or so I don't see why DoctorWhat is freaking the gently caress out

I'm deeply concerned that anyone could find dual-analogues preferable to KI:U's extant control scheme. KI:U is a masterpiece. :colbert:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm deeply concerned that anyone could find dual-analogues preferable to KI:U's extant control scheme. KI:U is a masterpiece. :colbert:

Oh I agree on both points but dummies will be dummies. If a Wii U KI:U ever materializes it just means more people to smoke with real controls.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I would love for a KI:U sequel on WiiU, I would have loved for the original KI:U to be on the Wii, because aiming with the wii remote would be ideal.
I would hate the game with dual analogues, but Sakurai would never let that happen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

Oh I agree on both points but dummies will be dummies. If a Wii U KI:U ever materializes it just means more people to smoke with real controls.

drat straight. I had to get a CPP for KI:U just so I'd be able to use ZL to fire so I wouldn't wear out the L button on the handheld itself. I'm gonna burn through GamePads without remorse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Esk1 posted:

I'm wondering if my girlfriend likes playing nsmb u/luigi u and other platformers and is pretty good at them what is the best way to play. Is giving her the gamepad the little brother method of letting someone play with you while you do all the work? I haven't bought it yet, maybe I need to solo play the demo and see what's it's like.
It can be anything from baby mode to griefing hilarity to superstar duo. When I've tried with my nephew (with either one of us on the gamepad) it's mostly accidental griefing with occasional glimpses of superstardom. The Mario U YouTube channel has a bunch of examples of multiplayer with it, "boost mode" I think.

I haven't seen this one before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_X-V1JYl8I

snickles posted:

That is the flaw in my otherwise brilliant plan.

They already have the Mii Plaza, and as mentioned leveraged that thing on 3DS with StreetPass and now DLC games for more stuff. If anything they could use AC items in the Mii plaza, and use stuff from other games to be used in both the plaza and AC. And they already have that free AC plaza thingy if they want more redundancy in all this crap.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Animal Crossing could be turned into a great console OS.
Imagine turning on your WiiU, choosing your character and waking up in your house. Go outside and you've got real messages from real people in your letterbox, you could visit the flea market where they sell VC games, when a new game is coming out there would be something special in the town square advertising it.
Obviously you'd have to change a lot about Animal Crossing to turn it into an OS, and you'd still have to provide a simple menu system instead of running all the way back to the post office to send a message or whatever..

But I know I'd love it, and I would never give up on my town and everything like I do in the AC games after a couple months.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Policenaut posted:

They could always do what Sony's doing with LittleBigPlanet in creating a free-to-play iteration with micro-transactions. XBLA Avatars and PlayStation Home pretty much proved people in the console space are ready and willing to pay for that kind of thing. I'll admit that sometimes I feel like I would rather throw my hands up and pay a quarter to get some piece of furniture instead of having to go bother people to order it for me in their game or hope that Timmy and Tommy will put it in stock one day.

Iwata once said they don't want to do dlc in Animal Crossing because it would put a pay wall between the user and 'their imagination' despite the fact that they know it would make a ton of money. I'm sure they see The Sims and know exactly what they could be doing.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hey you guys remember the summer (fall) update? Do we have any idea what's coming with that other than faster loading times? If it's taking this long they've got to be adding a bunch of features and stuff... right??? :ohdear:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

elf help book posted:

Iwata once said they don't want to do dlc in Animal Crossing because it would put a pay wall between the user and 'their imagination' despite the fact that they know it would make a ton of money. I'm sure they see The Sims and know exactly what they could be doing.
They just go with a bunch of real life content instead :v:
http://imgur.com/a/sdGJo
http://tinycartridge.com/post/59867174270/more-animal-crossing-plushes-good-news-five

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Kid Icarus Uprising with analog stick controls makes me think of Sin and Punishment Star Successor with the classic controller. I have a feeling you would lose a lot of speed and accuracy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh, and do care not to use phrase like "very spirited". It makes you sound like a particularly grating James Bond villain, and not in a cool way. I do not appreciate being talked down to.
Wow, that second part of your custom title sure wasn't lying.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
When I get the Zelda Wii U bundle on the 20th, will I be able to transfer all of my Wii things over if I only have one sensor bar between them to manage the operations? Similarly, I understand that my Wii VC purchases will only be accessible in Wii Mode, but is there some discount for already having them if I'd like to buy them on the Wii U channel to play with the more comfortable Gamepad or something? The games I have/that I care about bringing over are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

I read the OP to get the gist, but since I've just gotten off a long shift from work it's entirely possible that I've missed something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Shoopuf posted:

When I get the Zelda Wii U bundle on the 20th, will I be able to transfer all of my Wii things over if I only have one sensor bar between them to manage the operations? Similarly, I understand that my Wii VC purchases will only be accessible in Wii Mode, but is there some discount for already having them if I'd like to buy them on the Wii U channel to play with the more comfortable Gamepad or something? The games I have/that I care about bringing over are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

I read the OP to get the gist, but since I've just gotten off a long shift from work it's entirely possible that I've missed something.

Sensor bar: You only need one sensor bar between the two, provided it is at least powered by one of the consoles, or if you have a wireless sensor bar you don't have to worry at all.

Wii U VC stuff: Yes, once you transfer your Wii Shop Channel credentials into the Wii U, the Wii U eShop seems to check your purchase history in the Wii Shop Channel to determine if you are eligible for a discounted game or not. In fact, if for some reason you purchase a game on the Wii Shop Channel after the fact or redeemed a Wii VC code from Club Nintendo, the discount will apply afterwards. For example, I got Pilotwings recently from this month's Club Nintendo rewards thing, and got a discount for the game on the Wii U eShop.

That being said, N64 games aren't available on the Wii U VC yet, but whenever they start adding them, it should work just like the NES and SNES games do at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Can I play my Genesis games on the Wii U? I know they're not in the Wii U's VC but isn't there like, a Wii channel on the Wii U?

• Locked thread