Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Hey.

Hey kid.

Come closer.

Ya like dags?

The most inframe shot of him you'll see in this LP

Tales of Vesperia (テイルズ オブ ヴェスペリア or "Teiruzu obu Vesuperia" in the glorious Nippon language) is the tenth main title in the Tales series of video games. It was developed by Namco Tales Studio and published by blah blah blah you can read the wikipedia article here.

Vesperia is a JRPG. In my experience, JRPGs almost always contain dumb teenagers with rainbow colored hair and relationship issues saving the world for no other reason than they're bored while fulfilling animè tropes such as "protecting others" and "having a hot-springs scene". Seeing how I have some experience with one of the previous titles in this series, I suspect that this one will be no different.

"Now Kuvo", you may say, "why are you LPing this game when its obviously you won't like it?". For the same reason I watch bad movies; to make fun of them. No one likes to watch bad movies by themselves, but get some friends (and alcohol) and you can have a great time. To facilitate this, joining me in this LP will be Geop, Minifoo and Vicas (later on Adus and Admiral H. Curtiss sub in too). All three of them are LP veterans, and are (IMO) funny guys. They also all have either played or beaten this game, which is good. Because I haven't.

"Kuvo", you may continue, "don't you know that blind LPs are never good!". While I would normally agree with you, the last one we did didn't turn out so bad. Plus Minifoo will be fighting in battles along side me, and Vicas knows the game so he can steer me in the right direction if when I get drunk and lost. I don't know what Geop will be bringing to the table, but expect awful puns.

"But Kuvo, If Geop is making gut-wrenchingly terrible puns over cut-scenes how am I suppose to relate to these animê people! Talking over dialog is the NO. 1 LP SIN!". I originally was going to volume duck our commentary whenever the characters talked but after doing a test session I realized that they're talking almost constantly. Additionally, this would create a ton more work for me during the editing stage and would stifle the flow of dialog between the commentators. Deal with it. If you absolutely need to know the dialog, Admiral H. Curtiss did a SSLP of the game here.

Youtube Playlist

Ep 01: The Sandbagging Game Youtube
Ep 02: Pathfinding Youtube
Ep 03: Butt Rock Youtube
Ep 04: Low Profile Youtube
Ep 05: Don't Be Stupid Youtube
Ep 06: It's Over Youtube
Ep 07: Good Vibrations Youtube
Ep 08: City of Nerdlords Youtube
Ep 09: Feminine Secrets Youtube
Ep 10: Murphy Youtube
Ep 11: You Suck! Youtube
Ep 12: Non-stop Ticket on the Train of Death! Youtube
Ep 13: Salsa Drawer Youtube
Ep 14: VIDEO EDITING Youtube
Ep 15: Music Video Youtube
Ep 16: Captain Butts Orders Youtube
Ep 17: Lo Pan's Dungeon Youtube
Ep 18: Terribly Misunderstood Youtube
Ep 19: Baka, Fired Youtube
Ep 20: Sun Youtube
Ep 21: Party Foul Youtube
Ep 22: Halloween Special 4 and the Goblet of Fire Youtube
Ep 23: Urban Achievers Youtube
Ep 24: Just Shadowing Youtube
Ep 25: Fishy Youtube
Ep 26: Raise your Dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Youtube
Ep 27: Flying to the Danger Zone Youtube
Ep 28: Skits Ahoy Youtube
Ep 29: Gears of Bore Youtube
Ep 30: :vd: Youtube
Ep 31: Guild Laws Youtube
Ep 32: I'm... Cute? Youtube
Ep 33: Silly Names Youtube
Ep 34: In Which Nothing Gets Done Youtube
Ep 35: Shmurphy Youtube
Ep 36: Aer 104: How Bags Work Youtube
Ep 37: Repede's No. 1 Youtube
Ep 38: Such Doge Youtube
Ep 39: What are we here for? Youtube
Ep 40: Blastin' Bodhi Youtube
Ep 41: Splunking Youtube
Ep 42: Bat Outa Hell Youtube
Ep 43: Hotel Antares Youtube
Ep 44: One Thousand and One Fights Youtube
Ep 45: canyon.mid Youtube
Ep 46: VESP 101: Vocabulary Lesson Youtube
Ep 47: Midnight Rendezvous Youtube
Ep 48: Gallon Milk Challenge Youtube
Ep 49: Karol Lifts Youtube
Ep 50: Plot Dump Youtube
Ep 51: The Recap Episode Youtube
Ep 52: Mousetrap Youtube
Ep 53: Getting Ahead Youtube
Ep 54: Taking a Hike Youtube
Ep 55: You could have mentioned that! Youtube
Ep 56: The Insomnia Episode Youtube
Ep 57: Vacation Youtube
Ep 58: Things we already know Youtube
Ep 59: That Escalated Quickly Youtube
Ep 60: Implied Action Youtube
Ep 61: Sephiroth Ruined My Childhood Youtube
Ep 62: Am I wasting my time? Youtube
Ep 63: My Neighbor is an Amazing Adorable Tsundere Wizard Youtube
Ep 64: Geop Cooks Dinner Youtube
Ep 65: And he was never heard from again Youtube
Ep 66: Endless dungeon of bullshit Youtube
Ep 67: Just when I thought I couldn't hate that guy any more Youtube
Ep 68: Crapshoot Youtube
Ep 69: Hamurphy and Narurphy Youtube
Ep 70: Chariots of Fire Youtube
Ep 71: Voice Acting Youtube
Ep 72: Curry Youtube
Ep 73: Shoot for the Moon Youtube
Ep 74: Smugnado Youtube
Ep 75: Deep Hurting Youtube
Ep 76: Tokunaga's here too! Youtube
Ep 77: Poaching Youtube
Ep 78: Gurphy and Lurphy Youtube
Ep 79: Wunderbar Youtube
Ep 80: Power af all Creation Youtube
Ep 81: ...?! Youtube
Ep 82: Local Aerea Network Youtube
Ep 83: Does it bother you? Youtube
Ep 84: Electromurphy Youtube
Ep 85: Music Reference Youtube
Ep 86: Cross Dissolve Youtube
Ep 87: Slurphy Youtube
Ep 88: Thank you Sylph Youtube
Ep 89: Cucumbers Youtube
Ep 90: See ya Later Nerdlords Youtube
Ep 91: Nuke it from Orbit Youtube
Ep 92: Pitching Tents Youtube
Ep 93: Out of Context Youtube
Ep 94: The Episode Where we Find the Gym Entrance Youtube
Ep 95: :frog: Youtube
Ep 96: My Buddy Superflynn Youtube
Ep 97: M.D. Gambler Youtube
Ep 98: Disappointment Youtube
Ep 99: BULLSHIT FOREST Youtube
Ep 100: Invincadog Youtube
Ep 101: Risky Business Youtube
Ep 102: Manly Musk Youtube
Ep 103: 火車 Youtube
Ep 104: :frogbon: Youtube
Ep 105: Revenge of the Butt Rock Youtube
Ep 106: I never said anything about boobs Youtube
Ep 107: Ringleader of Raunchiness Youtube
Ep 108: Indigestion Youtube
Ep 109: Tight in the Chest Area Youtube
Ep 110: Bruckheimer Youtube
Ep 111: gently caress You Duke Youtube
Let's Watch Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike Youtube

Why Vesperia?
You voted on it.

I thought you were streaming it?
I had planned on it, but now FF14 is taking up all of my free time.

Is this going to be like Symphonia where you sucked at every fight, paid no attention to the game, got drunk and yelled and even passed out in a few episodes?
I can't recall the events you're talking about.

How often are you going to release video?
Was planning on Mon/Fri, but in all likelihood it will be whenever I feel like it.

Can you upload a version without you guys talking over everything?
No.

Why do you do this to yourself?
Rationalization for my alcoholism.

Will you fight the super secret tsundere badger boss?
If Vicas knows of it and he thinks it's funny, probably. PM him if stuff like this exists in the game.

What happened to the drinking word?
They led to bad things. Though if you want to follow along at home, Minifoo suggests blastia and aer.

Why is the dog named Pangloss?
You can change the names of the 7 main characters though the status menu, which is reflected in dialog. I think it's funny to name them on a theme, and I try to drop hints throughout the episode. If you're too uncultured to get the references (or too lazy to google them), here's a list

01-12: original names
13-17: some stupid poo poo
18-21: anime words
22: THIS EPISODE IS CANON
23-26: Characters from The Big Lebowski
27-30: Callsigns from TOP GUN
31-33: Characters from The Legend of Galactic Heros
34-37: the 7 deadly sins
38-42: Characters from SDF Macross
43-46: Characters from Dune
47-50: Characters from Twin Peaks
51-54: Characters from The Brothers Karamazov
55-60: Characters from Planetes
61-65: Characters from Kurt Vonnegut novels
66-70: Characters from Candide
71-75: Characters from Cave Story
76-80: Characters from The Diamond Age
81-85: Characters from Catch 22
86: The Monty Python cast
87-91: Characters from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
92-97: Characters from Cromartie High School
98-103: Members of Castlevania's Belmont clan
104-109: Characters from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
110-111: :iiam:

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
KAROL GIF APPRECIATION STATION

(linking these from now on to avoid spoilers and 50mb page loads)
http://i.imgur.com/s9SYyll.gif
http://i.imgur.com/AXG3f4j.gif
http://i.imgur.com/otsKgc5.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RPMSZTP.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Qkg4dIa.gif
http://i.imgur.com/tqAPC9u.gif
http://i.imgur.com/LIdDSFQ.gif
http://i.imgur.com/nRg29kp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aRC2yZd.gif
http://i.imgur.com/AP6D49r.gif
http://i.imgur.com/pIHBHmm.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5MMN2TR.gif
http://i.imgur.com/UbHeTS6.gif
http://i.imgur.com/aAQNBDP.gif
http://i.imgur.com/zxm7R4k.gif
http://i.imgur.com/I4G2ZlY.gif
http://i.imgur.com/EjM7ybd.gif
http://i.imgur.com/vB1DYVq.gif
http://i.minus.com/i0G9s0Cna9Oaj.gif
http://i.imgur.com/OKoFcQh.gif

REPEDE OBFUSCATION APPRECIATION STATION

silentbrains posted:

Made an attempt. Interest and attention to detail tapered off uh almost immediately.

Where's Repede 1
Where's Repede 2
Where's Repede 3

Aka "Where's Repede's Tail" or "Where's Repede's Hashpipe" or "Are you sure that's not a pommel?"

silentbrains posted:

Oops, kinda forgot about this. Recently got some free time to do things, though, like taxes and looking for an dog in an anime videogame.

Where's Repede 4
Where's Repede 5

Spending so much time looking for this character has given me many ideas that I think would greatly improve its design.

The arrows are part of the design and should be bound to the nearest joint(s).

silentbrains posted:

Where's Repede 6
Couldn't find as many Repedes post-Yuridoll as I'd hoped, maybe the investment will pay dividends later (that or I'm poo poo at my job).

silentbrains posted:

You all are finding all the good ones, I can't really claim credit for this, hahaha.
whar rapoodle 7
(Rushed the last few, I'm sure I missed a bunch...)

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 28, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

HOLD ON TO YER' BUTTS

Episode 05 -
Why is there dog fur and cigarette ash in my dinner. (Kase moch)

Episode 07 -
Breaking Blastia (Mr. Soop)

Episode 08 -
cofaigh knows a foundational cure to handle any sort of condition(er) [hair puns]

Episode 09 -
NO ESCAPE (cofaigh)

I FORGOT TO DO THIS STUFF...

Episode 46 -
Estelle's desert-survival secrets have been revealed! (OmanyteJackson)

Geop fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 20, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is going to be an adventure, I can already tell.:allears:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I've been waiting for this LP to happen ever since the end of Tales of Symphonia. :allears: Really excited for this.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh cool, another LP of the best Tales of game.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I am holding on to my butt so hard.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Hot drat, the saga continues. :dance:

Looking forward to another 100 episodes.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Kuvo posted:

Minifoo suggests blastia and aer.

Those are some good suggestions. Looking forward to the hours of entertainment. Also woof.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
Dog Roulette 2.0: Drink every time Repede does something that a dog has no business doing. Like cooking dinner

Northwest!
Aug 9, 2008

Kuvo posted:

Minifoo suggests blastia and aer.

Note to anyone who plans on doing this: you will die within the first few updates.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

alcharagia posted:

Oh cool, another LP of the best Tales of game.

As a fan of Symphonia back when it came out and Abyss later, I'm curious how would you compare them without getting into spoilers. Looking back, I think the things that annoyed me about those game when I played them first would keep me from enjoying them again, but in general I find Tales games fun to play if the cast isn't skull crushingly stupid.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
While you guys are spot on in saying that Repede is the best character in this game, it should be noted that Yuri is the best protagonist in the Tales series because he is the least whiny anime. He's also not clinically retarded (ie: Lloyd)

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
It's good to hear Vicas give advice about scanning bosses again. Can't wait to watch you guys slowly go insane through all this.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah, Yuri is pretty great, but honestly most of the cast of this game is really solid. It delves into the common tropes once in a while but it actually manages to dodge some of them as well. I'm sad there won't be 4-player shenanigans like Symphonia but I look forward to this either way.

Also I really like this game and for some reason punished myself by getting all the achievements so keep me in mind for like, back-up commentary or something.

Adus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 7, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh this will be neat. As you might be able to tell because of my SSLP, I love this game, mostly because of the great main character cast and their interactions. That's not to say that this game isn't without its flaws (certainly not!), but it's overall very fun.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kuvo posted:

Vesperia is a JRPG. In my experience, JRPGs almost always contain dumb teenagers with rainbow colored hair and relationship issues saving the world for no other reason than they're bored while fulfilling animè tropes such as "protecting others" and "having a hot-springs scene". Seeing how I have some experience with one of the previous titles in this series, I suspect that this one will be no different.

"Now Kuvo", you may say, "why are you LPing this game when its obviously you won't like it?".

Well I have got to see how long this keeps up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

At last, all my dreams are coming true :allears:

If you lose the audio for an episode, just bring in Alex and Mike to dub over the footage while completely wasted.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 7, 2013

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Adus posted:

Also I really like this game and for some reason punished myself by getting all the achievements.

I remember that half of the games achievements are tied to the easy-to-figure-out secret conditions you have to perform in each boss battle which I'm sure Kuvo will figure out. They are worth 115 achievement points after all.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Is the video supposed to be in widescreen? Because porting it into Polsy (and... a lot of other videos into polsy, now that I think about it) boxes it up and scrunches the video for no actual reason.

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 7, 2013

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Dastardly posted:

I remember that half of the games achievements are tied to the easy-to-figure-out secret conditions you have to perform in each boss battle which I'm sure Kuvo will figure out. They are worth 115 achievement points after all.

Yes... Yes that thing you said is totally true.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shoopuf posted:

Is the video supposed to be in widescreen? Because porting it into Polsy (and... a lot of other videos into polsy, now that I think about it) box it up and scrunch the video for no actual reason.

The game runs and was recorded in 720p :shrug:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Shoopuf posted:

Is the video supposed to be in widescreen? Because porting it into Polsy (and... a lot of other videos into polsy, now that I think about it) boxes it up and scrunches the video for no actual reason.

Polsy's not playing stuff back right at the moment, or something. It apparently does that for everything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is it just me, or did the audio desynch slightly towards the end?

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
I am going to watch the poo poo out of this, I loving love dags.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Kuvo posted:

The game runs and was recorded in 720p :shrug:

Dragonatrix posted:

Polsy's not playing stuff back right at the moment, or something. It apparently does that for everything.

Oh, okay. Carry on! Looking forward to seeing more of this LP, since it is the one Tales of I will probably never get the chance to play. (Xbox has never been my cup of tea.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I'm slightly sad this isn't one of the stupider Tales games. I mean, Vesperia's not high art, but it's downright intelligent compared to, say, Graces.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm slightly sad this isn't one of the stupider Tales games. I mean, Vesperia's not high art, but it's downright intelligent compared to, say, Graces.

Oh poor Graces, your battle system is so fantastic, and your dungeons are so short and lacking in lovely puzzles, why must you be... you? :negative:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A note regarding your basic battle system attacks that I believe you missed, if you attack normally while holding the Free Run button (the one that allows you to run around the entire battlefield), you do an extra attack that's not included in the basic combo. You can chain it at the end of a normal combo and before an Arte. Yuri's is pretty useful, so maybe keep it in mind.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I eagerly await the moment when whatever character you decide you hate the most is forced into your party for a battle.

Unless that character is Yuri of course.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I forget if that's in the 360 version but are you going to rename characters?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Vesperia is pretty Not Stupid for a jrpg, even characters that you expect to be total idiots are actually kinda cool in their own ways. It's a real shame the only version available in english is a beta version of the game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

darealkooky posted:

Vesperia is pretty Not Stupid for a jrpg, even characters that you expect to be total idiots are actually kinda cool in their own ways. It's a real shame the only version available in english is a beta version of the game.

I almost bought Vesperia, but then they announced the PS3 version and I said "Oh, I guess I'll just wait for an English version of that."

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh hey, a Tales game. The only one of these I've ever played is Tales of Eternia, and I didn't quite finish it. :v:

Still, with a commentator line-up like that... Sure, I'll hang around and see what's what. :allears:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

As for the Yuri thing, the VA is named Yuri Lowenthal and the character Yuri Lowell, and he couldn't voice him because he voiced the main character in the previous game and I guess they didn't want a similar voice for two protagonists in a row.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Do you think Yuri learns his sword artes online

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like that the second recommended video is "Tales of Vesperia part 240"

A little lower down you can find part 280 :shepface:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I played what seemed like a significant chunk of this game coop with some friends years ago (we fought over who got to play the dog a lot), and always wondered how the rest of the story went. Now I'll finally know!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Kuvo playing another Tales game with such a great line up of guest commentators?
I can already tell this is going to be an amazing LP. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh yeah, did you actually orchestrate the nightmare of getting four people in the same room or are you using some sort of funky skype setup? Minifoo's obviously there, at least.

• Locked thread